American Idol 8

American Idol Recap – 4/14/09

Let’s start off by once again mentioning the event this Saturday night in downtown Dallas at the Palomar Hotel for the “CAP” Foundation (Child Abuse Prevention). I’ve been asked to be a “celebrity” guest at the event for which I immediately accepted. Still not too late to donate in any way you can by visiting their home page here. I’ve never asked much of my readers, but this is for a good cause. If you’re heading to the event, then definitely find me and say hi. If not, any donation to this center would help. Non-profit organizations work off your generosity, and the stories I’ve heard already since getting involved make me sick to my stomach. One imparticular was they recently had to take in a 14 year old mom who was a victim of rape because the mother kicked her out. So whatever you can do would be grateful.

Moving on to brighter topics, let’s hope that “Idol” gets rid of this “only two judges speak a time” nonsense. How ridiculous was that? Yes, I realize you have four judges now, but maybe you cut back other little stupid things than the judges comments. No surprise that Simon and Paula got to do 4 of the 7 singers as they mixed in their reviews around their “touchiness” all night. More on that later. I mean, I realize you they went over by five minutes last week and everyone who recorded it missed Adam’s performance, but, there are better ways to remedy that situation other than cutting off judges comments. It just felt different last night and something I bet they don’t do again. Look, next week you have six singers. If you can’t have six performances in an hour followed by four judges comments, then you don’t know how to reign in your talent.

I would hate to see Quentin Tarantino without seven pots of coffee in him. Holy crap. I get jittery just watching him get jittery onscreen. And what kinf of hair style was he rockin’ last night? It was like he stole Moe Howards bowl hair cut then cut his own hair afterwards. Weird, weird, weird guy. Norm MacDonald did the best impression of him back in the day on “Saturday Night Live”. Nailed it. And speaking of “SNL”, I would like to formally announce that the “Jon Bovi” guys are my new favorite recurring sketch on the show. Hilarious. I’ve been an “SNL” guy for over 15 years now. There isn’t a bigger fan and critic of that show than me, and I can admit, those guys have me laughing every time. It seems pretty easy to write, but the way the execute it is flawless. Good stuff. “Cuz I’m an Indian, on a cotton horse I don’t not ride. And I’m unwanted, Alive and Dead.” On to last nights performances.

Allison Iraheta, “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing”: It seemed like she did a lot of screaming in this one again, yet Simon and Paula loved her so I’ve pretty much given up on her critique. She obviously does nothing for me, I don’t think she comes across as very likable, yet they think she has a chance to win it. Go figure. I highly doubt she’ll make the finals. When Simon tells her she’s the only female hope, isn’t that kinda like saying “Hey, you’re the best looking pig.” Considering there were only four other women in the final thirteen, saying she’s the best up against Jasmine, Megan, Alexis (who she isn’t better than), and Lil Rounds, I don’t know if I’d take that as a compliment. To each their own, but I just don’t get it with her and never will.

Anoop Desai, “Everything I Do (I’d Do it For You)”: One of his better performances. Especially since he didn’t completely butcher a very recognizable song. Had a lot of upper lip sweat going though. Was it hot in there? Either that, or he got steamed up from all the sexual heat coming from over where Simon and Paula were sitting. Did you notice Simon’s hand was on her leg for the first two performers, and then when Anoop was singing, Paula had her arm around him? Geez, is she that hard up for action now that her younger meat restaurant guy dumped her? If you’re a young entrepreneur in your early 30’s running a restaurant in Beverly Hills, then wouldn’t try and pull better tail than Paula Abdul? My God, I can only imagine the drama and baggage that chick brings to the table. Not to mention painkillers.

Adam Lambert, “Born to be Wild”: Mixed feelings on it. I almost like it better when he slows things down. But the performances where he’s doing his Axl Rose, the lights are flashing, the cameras moving quickly, it’s just all too theatrical for me. I understand that’s his act, but as Simon said, half the people will love that performance and half the people won’t care for it. I didn’t care for it. And Paula was in rare form with her comments. Paula: “Fortune rewards the brave.” “Dare to dance in the path of greatness.” Huh? Who wrote those for her? Or did she get those from a fortune cookie at the Geisha House on Hollywood Blvd before the show started? I have no idea what she was wearing or what she was saying last night. Nothing at all.

Matt Giraud, “Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman”: I realized after last nights performance what Matt’s problem is: He doesn’t think he can win. He looks scared up there sometimes. Well, he did last night at least. When you watch Adam and Danny perform, they own the stage. Matt just kinda does his thing, sometimes good, sometimes ok, but he never commands a stage, and that’s gonna hurt him. The song was a little too close to the original as well. With his talent, I thought he’d mix it up a bit to be honest. I hope he can stick around another week because he seems to follow up an average performance with a real good one, but his inconsistency is gonna have him in serious trouble tonight.

Danny Gokey, “Endless Love”: Once again, Simon was dead on with this one. I actually thought this was the first time that Danny, even though he has that distinct voice of his, really did nothing with a song. He sang it just like the original and, as well as he sang it, it was just good, not great. Now, I have no doubt why he chose that song since I’m sure it was some sort of dedication to his wife, so in that aspect, I can’t criticize the guy. The performance was good for me, but actually I was expecting more. I’m surprised he didn’t do anything with it. Hey Danny, what kind of artist are you? Who is Danny Gokey? Hey, finally we went a week without someone saying that. Then again, Kara only got to judge three of the seven contestants, so maybe that’s why.

Kris Allen, “Falling Slowly”: Never heard of this song and it seemed like he sang in the same exact key the whole time. Pretty boring if you ask me. Hey, were there any good performances tonight? I’m gonna have a tough time picking out a top three. As likable as he is, that was a forgettable performance and I think he’s in serious trouble as well. It’s almost like he’s singing every song for his wife and not singing to the millions of viewers who are actually voting. That could be his downfall.

Lil Rounds, “The Rose”: I was texting a lot during this song, so I can’t really say I paid attention that much. From what I heard, it was really nothing original, I’ve heard the song a million times, and even though she tried to throw some gospel in there, it didn’t sound like it really changed much up at all. And oh yeah, Paula was at it again. Paula: “The road is really long but it is worthwhile taking.” Uhhhhh, ok. But how’d she sing you idiot? Simon gave it to her like he should’ve and then Lil, having been criticized three weeks in a row for not being any good, basically got sick of it and fought back. That’s never a good thing on this show. Regardless of if you disagree with the judges, just nod your head, say “thank you”, stick up how many fingers you need to to get people to vote for you, then be on your way. You could tell Lil was pissed and frustrated. Whatever. Just keep quiet up there and don’t talk back.

Reality Steve’s Top 3 Performances:

1. Anoop Desai
2. Danny Gokey
3. Jon Bovi

Reality Steve’s Bottom 3 Performances:

1. Kris Allen
2. Matt Giraud
3. Lil Rounds

Reality Steve’s Bottom 3 Prediction:

1. Kris Allen
2. Matt Giraud
3. Allison Iraheta

Reality Steve’s Prediction of Who Will Get Eliminated: Whew. Toughest one to date since there was really no clear cut favorite last night. I’m gonna go with Kris Allen. For no other reason than I don’t want to see Matt leave yet, and Allison still has her teenie boppers voting for her. Let’s not forget something very important about these voting shows. When someone gets eliminated, and people get all up in arms of, “Oh my God! I can’t believe so-and-so got voted off!” It’s not that they got the most amount of votes to go home. It’s just the people voting voted for their favorites over that person. I think that’s a concept lost on a lot of people. When you pick up the phone and vote for Danny Gokey, you’re not saying you hate Kris Allen and want to see him leave, you’re just saying you liked Danny Gokey. Let’s all remember that children.

Back on Friday with another “Reality Roundup.” Yes, I am all caught up on “The Hills” and I have a TON of venom to spew about that abortion of a show. Seriously, I feel like punching the TV every time I watch it. I think I hate every person on that show outside of Lauren, who the show is supposed to be about, yet, it doesn’t even cover the two biggest things going on in her life. More on that Friday. Once again, any questions, comments, emails, praises, criticisms, questions/concerns/queries for the next mailbag, send them all to steve@realitysteve.com. Comment away, donate to the CAP Center, and never buy Maddie a toy. Apparently she could care less that I buy her the exact same toy she loves playing with in the kennel. I buy it, bring it home with me, and she looks like she’s never seen it before. Unbelievable. See you Friday.

1. Peg

April 15, 2009 at 2:19 AM

Who cares about The Hills!! Are you a teenager? I think not. Why don’t you write about The Duel 2 instead? Now that’s a fun show full of back-stabbing, sex and fights. Please, think about switching!!

2. Peg

April 15, 2009 at 2:20 AM

Also, Anoop sucked and will be in the bottom 3. I even predict he will go home…

3. Aussiegirl

April 15, 2009 at 7:30 AM

I thought Danny and Anoop were the best. I usually like Allison, but didnt like her last night.
    I think they will use the save tonight on- Matt

4. jljohnson

April 15, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Okay, Steve, I have to admit, I am starting to see your point about Paula. When Kara first arrived I couldn’t stand her but lately Paula’s behavior has been making me forget about Kara entirely. I don’t even know what she’s talking about half the time! And half the time even if you stink Paula will tell you you’re good so can you even really trust her opinion? I hated only having 2 judges talk at a time last night. I’ll bet the contestents hated it too because you know they really wanted Simon’s opinion. Let’s face it, whenever any of them do really well don’t they seem the happiest when Simon tells them?

I think you are right and wrong about Allison. I think she has really amazing talent and I thought she gave a great performance. BUT I always seem to forget about her. I don’t know why. She’s good she’s just never good enough to make me forget about my favorite (ADAM!). BTW – Adam was awesome last night. But I love Adam pretty much every week, even during country music week.

I have to say, I kind of think Lil Rounds will go home. Let’s face it, her time has been coming. She’s given consistently crappy performances for the past several weeks and I think she’s about run out of second chances. I think her talking back to the judges will hurt her, too. At least for me, whenever Anoop or Megan talked back to the judges it always really annoyed me.

5. L

April 15, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Hey, I thought Matt did amazing last week. He seemed confident about his performance. He should sing “Part Time Lovers” every week! ha ha… or “Human Nature.” That one was good, too.

But other than those, I see what you mean about him not thinking he can win. He’s just not the best song-picker. BUT I still believe he’s one of the very most talented singers on the show. I’ve thought that a long time. I heart him.

Don’t go, Matt, don’t go!!!

6. aimeenp

April 15, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Allison – too low at the beginning, was alright at the end. She doesnt do well unless she is belting it out. I predicted this song, just not for her.

Anoop – song was cheesy, but he performed it well. I also predicted this song, but I thought Danny would sing it.

Kris – Falling Slowly is one of my favorite songs. For those who don’t know it. It is from the Movie, “Once” and won the 2008 Oscar for Best Song. Here is the You Tube Link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoSL_qayMCc . Steve, I don’t know anything about your love life or if you need any advice. But seriously, if you wanna get laid, watch “Once” with the lady. She will be puddy in your hands. I give Kris props for singing this song, but it was not near as good as the original by Glenn Hansard and Marketa Irglova.

Danny – I loved his emotion in the song, but Endless Love is the cheesiest song ever. All I can think of is Happy Gilmore…”what? Friends listen to Endless Love in the Dark”. But I do see that it had special meaning for Danny.

Adam – First half of Born To Be Wild was cheesy, but as always he wailed on the 2nd half. By far the most entertaining of the bunch. However, last week was way better.

Lil – At least she changed the song some, i just don’t like her. She is slightly sharp a lot and she bores me.

Matt – Worst performance. I also dislike this song immensely. Why Brian Adams? He should have done “Roxanne” or “In your Eyes”. Or I actually predicted Matt to sing Falling Slowly because he has a little more grit in his voice more like Glenn.

My Top 3:
    Anoop – I voted for him, because his voice sounded the best last night
    Adam
    Kris – I am just in love with the song – voted for him too just because he didn’t pick something overplayed.

Bottom 3:
    Lil Rounds
    Matt Giraud – I hope he gets saved if he gets voted off
    Allison

Danny was in the middle for me.

7. ninali

April 15, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Was really bummed with Matt last night. He is my favorite and it just didn’t come out last night…I don’t know what it was he was just off and he never really seems to be THAT off so I was disappointed. The song was alright but he could’ve chosen better…I agree with amieenp if he would have chosen ‘In your Eyes’ it would have been a hit hands down and he would have pulled that one off much better.

Did you think we forgot about your “Bachlorette nuggets” tease…I think not…spill it Steve!

Looking forward to Friday!

8. krealityt

April 15, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Sorry Steve – I think you and Randy are so wrong about Kris. Maybe it’s that you have never heard the song before, I’m not sure. I think that Kris was the absolute best of the night and was his best performance to date. Just one girl’s opinion…

9. MadTom13

April 15, 2009 at 12:56 PM

So… who’s this you were texting Steve!? New Girl eh!? *thumbs up* But i think you need to pay more attention to the show next time!!! Put the phone down!
    My Top 3 Performances this week:
    1. Jack Bauer
    2. David Palmer
    3. Nina Myers… :)

*Anoop or Matt will go home!!!

10. aimeenp

April 15, 2009 at 1:46 PM

So I have been kind of troubled by the whole love of Danny Gokey thing. I don’t want to hate on him…I actually really really want to like him because I love his story. But really, he has not shown us a top performance since he has been in the finals. Sure, he has had a lot of good performances, but has he ever been the best of the night?

Steve, looking at your historical top 3 (wow, i can’t believe i am doing this) performances, you have never once put Danny as your number 1 performance of the night. Unless you picked him as a top three for the “songs from the year your were born” week, which I highly doubt (Looks like you liked Matt the best that week, or maybe Anoop).

You have chosen Adam as your number 1 performance twice now (Motown week and MJ week). And if I am right about Songs from the Year You Were Born week, you have chosen Matt twice as the Number 1 as well (Born and Country week).

I think people like Danny because of his potential, not because of what he actually does. He tends to pick older sounding songs, and that really bothers me. I really would like him to wow me, but unfortunately he hasnt.

On the other hand, you don’t seem to be much of an Adam fan. It’s like you don’t want to like him, but you know you do, and I think that bothers you or makes you feel a little uncomfortable.

11. aimeenp

April 15, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Danny is starting to really bother me. I want to like him so much, but he has never really wowed me. I think people are still liking him based on his percieved potential, not on what he has actually done.

Sure, he has had some decent performances, but Steve, you have never ranked him number 1 of the night. Unless you were going to choose him the week you didn’t rank, which I highly doubt.

So far you have chosen Adam twice as your number 1 (Motown and MJ), and You may have chosen Matt twice as well (Country week, and possibly Year You Were Born week). Kris has even had a night where he blew people away (Ain’t No Sunshine).

I think we all want to like Danny, but I have realized that he isn’t performing up to his potential. He needs to chose more hip songs or arrangements, Endless Love? 80’s Jazz Stand By Me? He actually hasnt put anything semi remarkable out since PYT, in my opinion.

On the other hand, you tend to act like you don’t really care for Adam too much, yet you admit he was the best of the night twice. I think the opposite is going for Adam. You don’t really want to like him, but you can’t help it, you do, and it might make you a little uncomfortable or something, who knows.

12. aimeenp

April 15, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Darn it, i didn’t think the first one went through, sorry for writing the same thing twice.

13. kayefun

April 15, 2009 at 3:57 PM

It’s personal taste and opinion and it gets harder each week to separate the performance from my personal favorites….and I know two of my favorites probs do not have a snowball’s chance on a hot July day of winning it. – (ALLISON & MATT)

My top 3 – ADAM, ANOOP, KRIS

followed by ALLISON, DANNY, LIL & MATT
    ******
    Who I think is going direct to the bottom tonight…..LIL, MATT, KRIS
    *******
    I want LIL eliminated (due to likeablilty and learnability issues – she is just STUCK not growing – think the AI tour might ‘incubate’ her talent and let her grow some artistry and get that on the job musical education I think she needs, however think it could be MATT – POOF – GONE! After last night’s flash of frustration LIL “talk back” to the judges, not sure they will save her. Know they think MATT has been a ‘yo-yo’ up and down in his performances…don’t think they would save him….and KRIS has had some consistency, so chance he could be saved.

14. leslierose

April 15, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I’m over Allison, have been for a few weeks now. I actually thought Kris was the best last night and this “2 judge only” review night was the worst!

The person who should be eliminated is either the director who can’t stay on time or the producer who came up with the 2 judge idea.

Thanks for your site!

15. ilovejill

April 15, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Totally agree with aimeenp. I get so angry reading what Reality Steve says about Adam each week and then what he says about Danny. I know it’s his opinion but I can just see the bias allll over his column. Danny was my favorite in the beginning but I changed my mind after a few weeks..Danny is BORING..he does the same thing every week and sounds the same. Adam is absolutely amazing and unpredictable and a PERFORMER. I would never go to a Danny Gokey concert. However, an Adam Lambert concert would be a-m-a-z-i-n-g. It’s ok to change your mind, Steve. And I don’t mean to put down any Danny fans but I think there’s an obvious choice for Idol this season. I’ll be upset if it goes any other way.

16. Kab

April 15, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Thanks for the review RS. I’m going to have to check out the Jon Bovi thing now! I actually really liked Kris last night. I think he is a very good singer, never heard the song before but really liked it. Danny is definately my favorite. Can’t stand Allison or Lil. Don’t like Adam. Kris and Danny are my fave’s and I hope to see them in finals. Yeah, Paula is really losing it this season. I love Simon’s face when she’s talking. He so dismisses her. Keep up the good work Rs.

17. fromichelle

April 15, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Hey… you can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig!

I think they are totally rushing this season… everything feels rushed rushed rushed… slow down people! Lengthen the show a little and let all the judges comment and don’t rush people off the stage. We are down to 6 and I barely know any of these people!

Yeah, Allison is WAY rough around the edges… not sure if you’ve seen tonight’s, but check her out… what the hell is she talking about??

Adam, I must agree. He’s just so over the top with the stupid winking and throwing his head back. I used to love him, now I just see him doing an off Broadway rendition of Annie.

Danny? Simon got that one right… David Cook did a smashing rendition of “Hello” by Lionel Ritchie last season. What happened here?

My top two:
    Adam
    Allison

Their bottom 3:
    Anoop
    Lil
    Matt

Going home:
    Lil

And, isn’t this actually pathetically boring? I mean, at this point, do you really, really even care who goes home? This group showed so much promise, and they haven’t at all delivered.

18. fromichelle

April 15, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Hey… are you on Facebook?

19. luvthebiz

April 16, 2009 at 2:38 AM

You know, Steve, I don’t know why I come here and read your blog. I usually disagree with most of what you say. I did get over here originally because of the so called behind the scenes drama on The Bachelor. I don’t know why you keep ragging on Paula Abdul. She provides alot of the fun and kindness on that show and that can be a real mean show. Yeah, she may be quirky, but the show would take a major blow if she ever leaves. You won’t agree, I know. I don’t know why you don’t get Adam’s performances. He’s the only one worth watching this season.
    As for your comment about Frankie Avalon. Who said he was having a heart attack or having any problem before the show? The guy is in his 60’s but I doubt you’d make the same comment about someone like Stephen Speilberg who is up there too coming on. What are you? 35 going on 15 years old? Grow up.
    Try to write a more balanced blog next week. I don’t plan to watch The Bachelorette aka The Scripted Love Boat Reality Show, so I hope I can read about it here. How can I feel I am getting the main idea if you are going to be so biased?

20. aimeenp

April 16, 2009 at 8:55 AM

I am so glad Matt was saved last night. He really needs to step it up next week so Lil and Anoop can go home. I am so not looking forward to disco week. This is my least favorite form of music. Hopefully they will take a LOT of license and change up the songs. Although, it might be kind of funny to watch Adam sing the Bee Gees, or Heart of Glass by BLondie.

21. ninali

April 16, 2009 at 9:37 AM

phew….so glad Matt was saved. He better turn things around, I think he should do well with disco week and hopefully Lil will go next along with Anoop. I have not been impressed with Lil once and have always thought she was in the bottom never near the top as some placed her early on. As for Anoop…sorry just doesn’t do it for me…he seems cheeser and just not someone I would ever listen to.

It will be interesting to see this coming week…although I am not a big Adam fan, only because it’s just not my style never big on the whole Axel Rose type of voice and he uses it so very often, it will be interesting to see what he comes up with. He is talented and knows how to use his voice that is for sure so I give him that…just not my style of singing.

22. jones2929

April 16, 2009 at 10:19 AM

I love this site and all of Reality Steve’s insight. One question, though – where is your review of “The Cougar”, which premiered last night on TV Land? Looks like a low budget Bachelor – should be amazing!

23. suez

April 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM

I’m glad they saved Matt. He is talented. Lil ‘s song choices have been so poor. Come on LiL. She could have done the theme to Mohagany, or ” Out here on my own” Irene Cara from Fame.Next week, two will be eliminated. Game on !!!

24. lorac7

April 16, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Hey where’s the love for Paula. Remember she is the only judge that was a bonafide pop star, she started as Lakers girl, and although not a great singer she was very sucessful. Of all the judges she knows what it takes to become a ” star “. Yeah she sounds kind of out there but that’s because she was in a car accident a couple of years ago & injured her spine, she still taking meds for the pain.

Should be interesting next week to see who picks the best songs.

25. sally

April 16, 2009 at 7:26 PM

I’m late coming into the thread, but I’ll give my personal bottom and top 3 anyway.

bottom 3:
    Matt – should have kept with the beginning with just piano and voice. Strange and ugly melody run in the middle. Give him props for doing something different, but didn’t do enough to change it.
    Allison – sigh. Another obvious and boring song choice.
    Lil – Quentin was spot on. She needed to own the beginning pop like she owned the gospel. And if she couldn’t, then she just needed to the whole song gospel. I give her props for trying to mix it up, but take all the props away for her continued yapping at the judges which pushed the show into going 2 minutes overtime.
    Disappointing:
    Danny – It felt forced to me. Like he was telling us to cry for him. Sappiest song ever written. Harp was a nice touch, but he wasted it.

Best 3:
    Adam – I’m a big Adam fan anyway (just to clarify that). Vocal outstanding as always. I wasn’t a big fan of the musical arrangement, but loved his play with the band and backup dancers. Too bad the other Idols don’t give props to the band as well.
    Kris – beautiful song, beautiful emotion. I felt nothing but cold during Danny’s obvious emotional song. Kris’s song felt much more emotional than Danny’s.
    Anoop – smooth vocal. Since this is one of my least favorite Bryan Adams songs, I was surprised I liked it. He should have followed Quentin’s advice though and “roughed it up” more.

Disco next week – oh this should be fun. Disco is never kind to these reality competition shows.

26. Fassero

April 16, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Geez, Steve has been inhabited by the spirit of Kara. “Never heard of” Kris Allen’s song? It won the 2008 Academy Award for “Best Song” and was performed on the show which is viewed by what? a couple of hundred million people worldwide? I suppose the movie it came from (“Once” – a low-budget Irish romance film from 2007) is “obscure” (as Kara labelled the song) but that’s because it was relegated to the art-house circuit. Anyway, nobody will call me a Kris Allen fan but he actually nailed the song to pitch perfection. So, yes, when Simon called the performance “outstanding” the next night, he was right on the money as usual.

27. aimeenp

April 17, 2009 at 8:40 AM

I relistened to Kris’s performance of Once, and Fassero, you are correct. I kind of liked his rendition the first time, but listening to it again, it really grew on me. I was probably so harsh on it the first time because I love the original so much. I think my harshest criticism for his performance is that he didn’t go for the high high note in “we’ve still got Tiiiime”, like Hansard does in the original version.

It is strange that so many people have never heard this song. But I am an avid music fan, so there you go I guess.