The Bachelorette 5 - Jillian

What Hasn’t Happened in the Show’s History Yet?

Since the beginning of the season, Chris Harrison has teased that something happens this season that’s never happened before in show’s history. In fact, here are his exact quotes.

From an interview with EW.com he did before the first episode aired:

“Halfway through the season, there is something different that happens with Jillian that we’ve never faced before. You don’t plan for it, you don’t script it — because you can’t.”

At the end of last night’s episode previewing next Monday’s show, we heard Chris saying this:

“And then, it’s the shock of a lifetime. (Cut to scene of Jillian crying, “I really, really, really liked you”), that leaves Jillian devastated.” Jillian: “This is just proof that no matter if you’re wearing the pants or not, it doesn’t protect you from getting your heart broken.”

From his blog earlier today on EW.com:

“One of the biggest surprises we encountered this season takes place next week and it leads to one of the most emotional episodes we’ve ever had.”

What does this all mean? In case you haven’t heard, a bachelor leaves the show on Monday. Is it by circumstance or by choice? Well, if the show is promoting it as something that’s never happened in the history of the show, lets look at the possibilities of things that have never happened:

1) One bachelors exit causes another to question why he’s there
2) Jillian asks a bachelor to leave, only to have a change of heart later to ask him back
3) A bachelor leaves the show due to a personal/family/work related crisis and never returns
4) A bachelor leaves the show due to personal/family/work related reasons only to return at a later date
5) A bachelor leaves the show only to be replaced by another bachelor at a later date
6) A former bachelor returns which causes a current bachelor to leave

We know this is a boring season. The ratings speak for themselves. Is it possible, after EVERYTHING that went down last season, that ABC is creating drama once again to generate interest? Could it possibly happen yet again where people are being led to believe and see one thing, when in reality, that’s not what’s really taking place? Are the writers running out of ideas, or coming up with new ones?

More to come in the following days. Stay tuned.

1. mja

June 9, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Good questions! This will be an interesting one to follow. There’s lots of speculation on other sites (and some backed up by evidence), but it’ll be really interesting to see how things play out. I like this blog because you focus a lot on how the audience is being manipulated. It keeps the show more “real” than the makers of the show intended.

2. lemon

June 9, 2009 at 9:42 PM

I read the ratings were up this week, probably because new people tuned in to see Vancouver and the hyped girlfriend drama.

Seems like everyone on the spoiler boards thinks that Ed leaves and returns, and a lot of them think this clinches Ed as F1. I’m not sure about that, he better have a damn good reason for going home. I think she welcomes him back, maybe to play along with the producer’s wishes, but that doesn’t mean she decides he’ll be the one to stick around when the going gets tough in the real world.

3. Deegirl

June 9, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Yawn. ZZZZZZZ. Is this season over yet?

4. stampinqueen

June 9, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Could it be that one of the guys admits he’s gay???? That’s the first thing that popped into my head.

5. terry-pat

June 9, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Cue the drama,for ABC and you too.I was waiting for you to mention this,but,I guess you need each other.The ratings for Jason’s season,way up there,more people coming to your site,gee I guess you also miss your part in the ratings spike for Jason,and you are puting some thing out there,this time no inside info…Maybe you should try again to see if you can give their ratings and your site a boost.It would be interesting to see if you could do it again.I’d love to see it,how hype is created.Have a good day.

6. SpecialK

June 9, 2009 at 11:02 PM

As far as what hasn’t happened on the series, a Bachelor hasn’t left due to family crisis. But last season with Jason, Lisa left for a family emergency. So, I don’t know if that rules that one option out.

7. Patti

June 9, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Your recap totally cracked me up. Since I dont’ care about any of them on the Bachlorette this season, I’m laughing during the entire show and enjoying it. To me, Jillian is an idiot if she doesn’t pick Jake..drop dead gorgeous, great smile and seems like an ok guy. Wes makes my skin crawl..he needs a bath..ugh. Ed is a a fugly dude.

Carry on, RS..you rock!! rotflmao

8. owl

June 10, 2009 at 6:58 AM

This is, without a doubt, the most boring season yet.

I’m getting sick of Jillian kissing everything that moves. The only thing the show hasn’t done is a group orgy. If they did, Jillian would probably be up for it.

Does anyone on this show REALLY want to fall in love and know what that means? This is the most immature bunch we’ve ever seen on TV and that’s saying something. It’s no wonder the relationships never last.

I so don’t care to SEE what they do next week. It hurts my eyes.

Besides, I can read about it here and save myself a couple of hours!

9. aimeenp

June 10, 2009 at 8:14 AM

From reading some other boards, it seems that Ed could be leaving the show to deal with work stuff. I hear he has his own company or something. Then, he later returns to the show. Has that happened before? Someone leaving but then coming back?

So far I like Reid, or what they show of Reid anyway. Jake is a cheeseball, but at least he isn’t as annoying as Wes. I think it is hilarious that they only played that one line of the song over and over again, I bet Wes was pretty pissed when he saw that.

As for Tanner, I love that guy. Sure he is edited to be the complete weirdo, but he is the only thing that makes the show kind of funny. I am sure after the show he will find himself a nice girl who likes to have her toes sucked and they will live happily ever after.

10. jkcarnah

June 10, 2009 at 11:02 AM

So as Terry-Pat said, it is interesting how you had so much insider information on Jason’s season, but you have none on this season. It does seem a little shady, but then again, I still enjoy coming to your site for updates.

There was another site out there: http://www.jillianharris.net that was up last week, but has now been taken down. That site had a lot of clues and spoilers and basically led people to believe that either Ed or Jesse will be the F1.

It has been made clear that Ed is the one to leave on next week’s show. For what reason, we are at this point unsure, but I am thinking perhaps it has something to do with the other guys versus a family/work situation?

What’s up with all of the guys being Jewish? Is Jillian jewish or something? I’m guessing she is based on her last name and based on the number of jewish ‘bachelors’ competing for her love. It wouldn’t make sense for her to bring non-jewish guys to the finals, since religion plays a big part (not meant to be offensive, just an observation, that maybe helps answer why some get weeded out…like Jake).

11. sally885

June 10, 2009 at 12:21 PM

jk [#10] – “What’s up with all of the guys being Jewish?” How do you know this?

i too find this season and the whole show boring, and agree that this site is trying to create it’s own drama by dragging out this info/spoiler.

12. addicted2trainwrecks

June 10, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Steve,

My vote goes for HONESTY, now that is really something we have never seen before on this show!!!!!

13. mcNC

June 10, 2009 at 1:33 PM

@stampinqueen
    maybe it’s tanner…afterall, if he’s playing up on the whole foot fetish thing, maybe he’s there just as an actor, but somehow his true identity spills?

14. lila

June 10, 2009 at 2:02 PM

This made me laugh:

“What’s up with all of the guys being Jewish? Is Jillian jewish or something? I’m guessing she is based on her last name and based on the number of jewish ‘bachelors’ competing for her love.”

Harris? Pretty sure it’s of British origin. And again, how do we know many of the men are Jewish?

15. Patti

June 10, 2009 at 5:42 PM

A freind of mine read on a spoilers site that she picks the dude that is as homely as she is..and that’s Kypton.

16. realityshlomo

June 10, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I just got off the phone with the producers of the show. I learned that the shocking thing that happens next week is that all 10 Bachelors quit the show because their paychecks bounce. Then Jason dumps Molly and comes looking for Jillian. But he is intercepted on his way by Mellisa, who dances her way back into Jason’s heart.

17. jkcarnah

June 10, 2009 at 7:03 PM

To answer your question, there was another site out there that listed all the guys last names…Reid Rosenthal, Ed Swiderski, etc…Both believed to make the F4.

Perhaps I went a little overboard in my assumption that most of the men are Jewish (and also assuming Jillian is as well). Although, I did have three friends in college who were Jewish and all with the last name “Harris.”

Anyway, I don’t know why I’m so addicted to this show, because in reality, it is a little slow compared to other seasons.

P.S. one other site had a post that Kiptyn is going to be the next “Bachelor.” Whether or not that is true, we will find out in a few weeks, I guess!

18. pearl002980

June 10, 2009 at 7:53 PM

@jkcarnah
    I think it would actually make sense if a lot of the guys are Jewish. Wasn’t ABC in talks with someone else to be the bachelorette, way before they asked Jillian? Maybe she was Jewish and they were trying to get guys to meet her criteria.

19. Dlicious

June 10, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Funny how ABC puts a spin on this season, with one of the men having a girlfriend……Pretty dumb if you ask me……. I know for a fact that ABC screens these men and rakes them over hot coals with pyshological testing and lie detectors..not to mention their contracts stating “they are not in a relationship” Totally staged for ratings. Stupid.

20. Carrie

June 11, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Ok, here’s my wild guess without reading any other sites. Wes has the girlfriend, as stated by Tanner. But that’s not the shocker for next week because that is too obvious. My guess is no one fesses up about what they know, and one of the guys leaves because he’s either guilty of having a girlfriend himself or realizes how stupid the whole thing is. I would guess it’s someone Jillian really liked, and Ed is floating around a lot so I’ll guess it’s him. At some point – probably the episode after a “guy leaves” – Jillian figures out what a loser Wes is and possibly about the girlfriend thing and tells him where he can stick his guitar; either that, or ABC finally says she can let him go as his contractual obligations have been completed. Feeling like she might have lost one of her better chances at “love”, asks to bring back Ed. Ed, who then probably receives a nice paycheck or promise for the next Bachelor, agrees. This storyline could take up the next three episodes and has the potential to increase ratings.

So in summary: Episode 5 – Ed leaves. Episode 6 – The true colors of Wes are shown and he’s booted; Jillian requests to bring back Ed, or starts to hint that she wants him back. Episode 7 – The big question will be “Is Ed coming back?” and then during the last 20 minutes they’ll finally “surprise” us with him coming back. Of course then people will think that if she liked Ed so much that he’ll probably end up with the final rose, and while he’ll make it to the final two he will be the rejectee…and the next Bachelor.

Odds of this playing out as described: 1 in a million. But it would make for some decent scripted tv to watch on Monday night.

21. superbadgrl

June 11, 2009 at 3:39 PM

It will come down to: Ed, Kypton and Reid….

22. susie

June 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Finally watched the TIVO of this last night. Jillian looked so tired and exhausted like she could barely keep her eyes open. She has huge circles under her eyes, too. I think she is as disinterested in the guys as we are and just going through the motions.

23. lemon

June 11, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Jillian said in a recent interview the latest rose ceremony (girlfriendgate) took nine hours to film and ended in the AM hours. I’d look like hell too.

24. susie

June 11, 2009 at 7:16 PM

I meant on the dates she looked tired, not the rose ceremony. She was more fired up for that.

25. onehappyB

June 12, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Ugh just got a ticketmaster email that Wes will be doing a show at Dallas HOB . . %@#&! Tix are just $12, I almost wanna go just so I can thrown tomatoes at that douchenozzle! He is just too ooogey.

26. JENNIFER S.

June 12, 2009 at 11:14 AM

(onehappyB) Like really – who the hell is going to go see him??? UGH
    Wait…my sister lives in Dallas – I’ll see if she wants to go hahahaha
    Reality TV does wonders huh? :)

27. Never2Late

June 14, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Here is what has never happened before, someone not a contestant ends up with the girl! The first crush that Jillian told Reid about saw the show and gets in touch with the producers. He and Jillian begin talking off camera. She realizes that she still has feelings for him. At the FRC, she doesn’t choose either of the finalists, but, brings out her first love. Wes comes back to seranade them with his “you can’t hurry love” song at the ATFC. Everyone is happy, noone leaves with a broken heart as the F1 and F2 know what is going on by that time and aren’t that into Jillian anyway. Jillian gets her Canadian man, Wes gets his album on the air, Reid sells lots of real estate and Kiptyn is the next bachelor…..the end….thats a wrap.

28. judyindfw

June 14, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Speaking of bachelors in Dallas, I just opened a packet of coupons and got one from a Med Spa here which states that Jeremy and Brian will be appearing there as part of a “roses and Restylane” Event on June 25th. Maybe Deanna will show up too – yuck – but I’d love to meet Melissa … and maybe Reality Steve!

29. mja

June 16, 2009 at 8:48 AM

After last night’s show, and reading a lot online, I think the most likely is Steve’s option 4, with 5 and 6 being intriguing possibilities. And post #27 cracks me up… problems solved! :-)