Interviews

An Exclusive Candid Interview with Wes Hayden

Remember how I told you it’s very tough to have the booted contestants from this show come do interviews because ABC won’t release them to me? Well thank God for Wes Hayden. Very much a breath of fresh air in this very revealing, inside look at what really went down with his “character” this season on the “Bachelorette”. Let’s just say Wes is pretty pissed off with how things shook down, and all he’s here to do is tell his side of the story. At that point, then feel free to make your decision about what you saw on TV vs. the real Wes Hayden. Yes, I’m continuing my one man crusade to expose the show for the fraud it is. Wes Hayden most certainly helps with that and paints a pretty clear picture of what this show does to get the results it wants.

Let me say that I understand a lot of you already have formed your opinion, you hate the guy, and probably nothing he says will change your mind. Kind of head scratching. What I’m assuming is that you formed your opinion of him based on what you’ve seen on television for the last 8 weeks. If he never came out to defend his actions that so many of you are bothered by, then I think you would say, “What a jerk for how he acted and what he said on TV.” Now that he is letting it known how he was edited by giving specific examples, you are saying, “Well, he’s just doing damage control.” Seems a little unfair, no? Apparently he can’t win in your eyes because your mind is made up. Well, let this interview just be a chance for him to tell you what really happened, and then, if you can honestly say that you don’t believe a word of what the guy is saying, you hear no sincerity in his voice, and is completely going out of his way to make this all up, then that’s your decision. I tend to believe the guy and think he got the worst edit in show history, and that’s why I wanted to talk to him. Hey remember, I was the guy who called him a douchenozzle back in week 1 or 2 of this column, so it is possible to do a 180. I just want to lay this out there for all of you to hear for yourself and if you think this guy is really the guy you saw on TV for eight weeks. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Some of the topics covered in this 1 hour and 25 minute interview (I suggest you stick around for all 85 minutes. I understand it’s long, but he’s got a lot to say and we essentially cover EVERY question that most of you have about what you saw):

-Where did/does his relationship stand with Laurel? What’s been the fallout with her since the show has aired?
-Why and when did Wes go to the producers and tell them he wanted to leave and what was their response?
-What are his feelings towards everything Jake said about him during, and after, the show?
-Was the dinner date in Spain as painful as it came across on TV?
-What about the infamous limo ride and all the brilliant quotes he gave after being eliminated?
-Specifically, how did they edit things that he said, or didn’t say, to make him look like the villain?
-How have people treated him since watching him on the show?
-Is he going to appear at the “Men Tell All” taping this Saturday in LA?
-What did ABC do to his family that had both he and them pissed off?

All this and much, much more in this very revealing exclusive interview only heard here on RealitySteve.com. I appreciate the fact that Wes decided to come to me and spend this much time explaining why and how things went down the way they did. Hey, if any other contestant wants to come and spill their guts about how unfair they thought their edit was to me, I’ll gladly put them on. I’d love to do this every week. But I think Wes’ is story is most important considering he is public enemy #1 right amongst most female fans of this show. All I wanted was for him to tell his side of the story, and then let you decide where you stand. I don’t really see how you can side with ABC, or even say the truth lies “somewhere in the middle”, but hey, that’s just me. I know what this show does to people, and I know how sneaky they are. Wes Hayden was truly a victim of ABC’s manipulation and now its his turn to tell you why and how. Hope you enjoy the interview:

Wes Hayden Interview

One thing I forgot to ask about while we were recording was the, “Hey, that bird’s only got one foot” comment he made to Jillian after she asked him “How would you make it work if I pick you in the end?” Wes admits he did say that line, but not right after Jillian asked that question. It was right in the beginning of the date when they sat down is when he saw the bird, yet they edited it to make it seem like that’s how he answered her question. Not surprising.

Any questions, comments, emails, praises, criticisms, feedback, feel free to email me at steve@realitysteve.com.

1. buzz26

July 14, 2009 at 6:56 AM

I’m not listening to the interview. Really don’t care if it’s edited. I don’t think lots of others do either. It’s a TV show for entertainment.

Isn’t your 15 minutes up yet?

2. creativechar

July 14, 2009 at 7:59 AM

This is what I posted on Trista Sutter’s Blog and my apology to Wes Hayden both there and here and to tell others to stop bashing this guy. Here’s what I said on Trista’s blog…. “I don’t know the real Wes Hayden, none of us do. I made a perception, developed an opinion and judged someone based only on editing of a “reality” show. I was brainwashed to believe what I saw and heard on the show until I listened to a real unedited interview with Wes by Reality Steve. I have a much better understanding now that I have heard this interview. Without the hype and drama of the show I can sense it this interview that Wes is really a good old redneck boy and his genuine, slang phrases sometimes get him in trouble as well as his communication style and sense of humor. I’m sorry for joining the bandwagon and thinking what a profitable produced “reality” show focused on ratings and entertainment wanted me to think. I still like the show but I’m just reminded not to take things at face value like this. Listen for yourself http://www.realitysteve.com.

3. tvgirlwiz

July 14, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Wow! Some people are really mean to each other on these comments.
    What next? Are you going to threaten Wes and his family because you say you DON’T CARE.

If you don’t care, why are you taking the time to post a comment? LOL.

Anyway, I honestly feel sorry for Wes. I wish him and his family all the best. Hey may need it after this interview. I heard Fleiss (sp) is an A$$, so he may actually sue Wes. Or he may leave it alone cause it’s getting the show publicity. People will believe what they want to believe. The fact that some people are judging him based on an “edited” show kills me….

4. FameWhore

July 14, 2009 at 9:11 PM

I knew he didn’t have the webos to go to the MTA.

Question: If he would have been tellin the truth and only the truth, I wonder in which round he would have been eliminated?

Ya see, he only made it to 6, cause he was lying his ass off.

5. givemeabreak

July 14, 2009 at 10:43 PM

funny thing he says he doesnt watch the show, but he has an answer for everything he said.. he is a douchebag you can only edit so much, he said what he said!! cause he is getting bad PR now

6. givemeabreak

July 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM

he is crying like a baby!!! lmaooo

7. thewipf

July 15, 2009 at 12:41 AM

I was thinking that it would be great if Wes could get one of the other guys to back him up. Then I realized all the comments he is disputing were never around the other guys.

8. ice99lady

July 15, 2009 at 1:30 AM

Well Steve….you made a believer out of me! I truly thought Wes was a D*&K and was pleasantly surprised by the interview. I know they edit but what they did was really crossing the line. I do not care one bit about any contract…that is inexcusable! I wish he would have gone to the MTA with a lawyer. In any event thank you both for taking the time to clear the air. It was worth it!!!

Who wins in the end and are they still together???

9. Dianne

July 15, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Patti #198 – is the language necessary? Please..grow up a notch!

10. billib

July 15, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Well Steve, you turned this former hater into a Wes fan! I always knew they manipulate with edits but I thought it was stuff to just throw you off the trail of the F1. This is like character assassination! If they sue him for speaking up he better throw a counter suit at them for defamation of character! What they did borders on malicious. Are they just a bunch of country music haters or what? They singled him out from the get go! I thought that they observe at first and then maybe exaggerate some flaws etc. but I am truly disgusted by what they did and I feel bad that I got duped. At least I learned my lesson. There are tons of people who do the show and turn around to do it again as the bachelor/bachelorette so I had to think that whatever manipulations they were doing weren’t that bad. Clearly I was wrong. If they know how unfair the producers can be and how scripted it is, why even go on the show again? I think there is even way more to this than what you have been able to uncover but I’m so glad you have been able to seek out this much. They definitely went too far with what they did with Wes. I will never watch again after this season. I just want to see this one through because the curiosity will get the better of me but after this, NO WAY!

11. realitytvismyjunckfood

July 16, 2009 at 1:50 AM

I would love to see this group of guys sue the sh%! out of ABC. This is reality??? Just that genre gives them all the right to sue.Then perhaps we could go back to Reality TV.
    I think because of all the baloney on this show, I will be very surprised if Jillian picks anyone. It’s really to bad that contractualy they can’t get back at this show, I think he could go on the news…I bet Bill O’reilly would take a listen to his story.
    I hope this story gets world wide coverage. If his old girlfriend can be found, then you know this story can get out there as well. I would be interested to know what Jillian thinks of all this. I bet this entire year will add up to a big fat nothing for Jillien. In fact, I will bet she knew pretty fast that none of these guys were for her. So, the show spiced up each episode with junk to keep people watching.
    So ABC… Liar liar pants on fire. I am anxious to see what happens on the next episodes.AND I hope to see Wes defending himself on TV news and talk shows soon.

12. brasil66

July 16, 2009 at 2:12 AM

Really compelling interview – it’s scary now that I think about it to open yourself up to the public – and to be at the mercy of a huge comany like that… I had a suspicion that Wes was a decent guy, and I’m sure all those guys are good guys. It’s just sad some people buy into it and start hating the people they see on tv.

13. readytochoose

July 16, 2009 at 12:44 PM

It would be fabulous if Wes could find a lawyer who could detect a loophole in his contract with ABC… because enough keeping on feeding all those idiot viewers with such TV programs… even though all those idiots represent something like 99% of our population… oops, no wonder our entire world kinda suck and is on the verge of a total rupture!
    Nicolas.

14. readytochoose

July 16, 2009 at 12:44 PM

It would be fabulous if Wes could find a lawyer who could detect a loophole in his contract with ABC… because enough keeping on feeding all those idiot viewers with such TV programs… even though all those idiots represent something like 99% of our population… oops, no wonder our entire world kinda sucks and is on the verge of a total rupture!
    Nicolas.

15. readytochoose

July 16, 2009 at 12:45 PM

It would be fabulous if Wes could find a lawyer who could detect a loophole in his contract with ABC… because enough keeping on feeding all those idiot viewers with such TV programs… even though all those idiots represent something like 99% of our population… oops, no wonder our entire world kinda sucks and is on the verge of a total rupture and breakdown!
    Nicolas.

16. MindyM

July 16, 2009 at 2:41 PM

I think that the truth is somewhere in between regarding Wes. I don’t think he is the villain and monster he was made out to be and I also don’t think that he is a great guy. I think he’s a bit of a jerk and a loose cannon who talks before he thinks. So he was a great subject for TPTB. I do believe that his comments were edited and taken out of context to make him look like a creep. But I wonder why he agreed to do the show in the first place. His comments that TPTB were really aggressive in trying to get him on the show, don’t really make sense to me. An adult male is perfectly capable of saying “No”. The fact that he did go on the show makes me think that he did have his own motives for doing so. I think the publicity angle was appealing to him. It can’t hurt to become better known if you are a musician. I also never heard him say anything that indicated he had any feelings for Jillian at all. His answer would be that he didn’t have enough time with her, but I just don’t think he was really interestested in her. The one person I do feel sorry for is his ex-girlfriend Laurel. She didn’t choose to go on this show, yet she is paying the price with threatening phone calls at work and at home. She doesn’t deserve that. The bottom line is that Wes got in way over his head. Maybe the next time he signs a contract to appear on national TV, he should make sure to read it. These guys have complete control over you once you sign on the dotted line. They can take anything you say and edit it to make you look like someone you aren’t. That’s this show, simple as that. The one person who played it smart was Jeremy from Deanna’s Bachelorette season. He made sure to think before he spoke and be in control of himself. It made him seem robotic and unappealing to some, but it enable him to still be a lawyer after the show. He was smart enough to realize what could happen if he lost his cool or said something stupid. Wes could learn a lot from him. So my final judgement regarding Wes is that he’s not the All-American man, but he’s not the villainous jerk he was edited to be.

17. NicoleAZ

July 16, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I started a bunch of crap on ABC.com by posting “You hate Wes? I hat ABC” because of this interview. Thanks for setting the record straight. I have boycotted this show since last year when you pegged the whole Jason-Melissa-Molly thing. It is supposed to be entertaining. How can we be entertained when people are getting hurt? I just can’t! Thanks for all you do and your humor! I, for one, appreciate it! I’m sure Wes does too! I hope his “ex” is ok. I hope his career is ok. I hope Jillian finds out about all of this!!!!!!

18. NicoleAZ

July 16, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I started a bunch of crap on ABC.com by posting “You hate Wes? I hate ABC” because of this interview. Thanks for setting the record straight. I have boycotted this show since last year when you pegged the whole Jason-Melissa-Molly thing. It is supposed to be entertaining. How can we be entertained when people are getting hurt? I just can’t! Thanks for all you do and your humor! I, for one, appreciate it! I’m sure Wes does too! I hope his “ex” is ok. I hope his career is ok. I hope Jillian finds out about all of this!!!!!!

19. NicoleAZ

July 16, 2009 at 3:53 PM

@buzz26
    Are you really entertained by other people being hurt? That’s sad dude!!!

20. ducktoller

July 16, 2009 at 7:11 PM

I found your interview with Wes to be very credible. I am actually planning on googling to see if I can purchase one of his cd’s in support of him (and I don’t even really care for country music). I had completely fallen for the whole Jake persona and was hoping he’d become the next bachelor. I did read a bio on him, and it looks as if he tried to make it in acting a while ago. Perhaps this is his next stab at fame. Sad, really. I wish Wes all the best with his career, and I suggest that others support Wes by purchasing his cd’s. I live here in Vancouver, B.C. and find it quite amusing to see that Jillian is quite willing to move to the U.S. Can you say Mr. Green Card? Also, I have to say that Reid reminds me a lot of the men up here – pretty conservative and they aren’t too hung up on themselves. The plot sickens…

21. abby98

July 16, 2009 at 9:01 PM

@ducktoller
    Glad to hear others are also off of the St. Jake train. I admit, I kind of fell for it also, but the more I watched, he seemed really creepy and way too feminine. This Wes interview confirms to me that Jake is not what he seems. Anyone who uses God as their motive on a show like this really has some problems. I found the verbatim text of his “God-fearing Man” interview, he states that “he is not a religious guy by any means”. But yet God is revealing all of these things to him. Why don’t God reveal to him to stop being a stalker and maybe he can get a woman? Or that he looked gay when he jumped on Kiptyn’s back when they were in the snow? (Anyone see Kip’s look of terror and Jake’s look of pleasure?)
    And as for the balcony cry– it was probably an audition for the next Bachelor! Which he failed and was why his face was so red in his interview. They told him his balcony cry sucked. You cannot be a Bachelor without a good balcony cry!

22. heatherd36

July 19, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Steve- Thanks so much for the interview with Wes. It helped me understand how staged the bachelor/bachelorette really is. I actually like Wes after hearing this interview. Thanks for shedding the light!

23. Christine

July 20, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Steve, Let me first say that I’m so glad you did this interview! What an eye opener. Until today though, I have not been thrilled with the way your blog about the Bachelor/Bachelorette has been going with all the behind the scenes stuff. I preferred to remain in ignorant bliss and watch the train wreck every week with a bowl of popcorn. But after listening to this interview, I’m happy you have brought it to light. It really makes me disgusted with the show. I’m not sure I would be as forgiving as Wes. I feel for him and for his ex. He actually seems like a decent guy with a great sense of humor. I hope more people get the awakening that I did with this interview. You definitely changed this girl’s mind. I still need my train wreck fix though. I’ll just be watching it with a different perspective from now on.

24. auden456

July 20, 2009 at 11:48 PM

maybe theproducers did edit what wes said, but there had to have actually been something that went wrong on that date or why else would jillian send him home? she said she knows now that wes has a girlfriend. clearly there was some indication that let jillian know that wes was not right. she had strong feelings for him.

25. FameWhore

July 25, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Nov. 11th: Next stop Country Music Awards

Plan on telling em your name is Tanner P. so they’ll let you in. Once inside, this automatically gives you Extra Special Rights and you can use your Photoshop skills to EDIT another PHONY Make-Believe-Award you won and post it on your website next to the one you won honestly from the Bachelorette.

Careful! CMA is on ABC & I understand they Edit too, cause its THEIR show!
    …But that shouldn’t be a problem, cause again you got Photoshop and can EDIT there too!

26. FameWhore

July 25, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Complaining of editing issues before the show has even ended Proves & Verifies he had his Own Agenda! The reason he chose not to attend the MTA (at first) is WHY? Cause he had his Own Agenda!!
    BUT ITS THEIR SHOW!

27. blondienyc

July 15, 2010 at 7:09 PM

OK I’m reading this late in the game and doubtful anyone’s checking back on this post but I’ll add my two cents anyway.

I work in television. I can say 100% without question that you ABSOLUTELY CAN EDIT SOMETHING AND COMPLETELY CHANGE THE WHOLE THING AROUND. I work in news so we are NOT allowed to do that…in other words, we CANNOT manipulate news conferences so that politicians say things out of context or make it sound the way we want it to sound. Ethically we would be fired. HOWEVER, this is a reality show so these CAN and DO happen. And anyone who is still jaded against Wes is an absolute fool and has no clue how video/audio/television works. And no, people DO NOT go on this show knowing they could be dragged through the mud. Yes, people know that they should watch what they say or do, but editing is MUCH more clever than that. Producers on day one could say, “How do you feel when you write a song?” Wes could say “I love it, it’s my passion, I can taste it” and then three weeks later they ask him some other random question about “hey dude, are you like, famous in texas” and he could say something like, “I don’t like fame. some people like the taste of it., the feel of it, the smell of it, but I don’t.” so editors take these two pieces and splice them together and all of a sudden wes appears to say, “It’s my passion, I can taste it, the feel of it, the smell of it.” and boom, you have a sound bite. some say how is that possible if he’s not on camera saying it? Because editors trick you with video. they splice the audio together to create the sound, and then show half of wes talking and then cut away to wes standing in the kitchen playing his guitar. it’s called editing. it’s decietful and reality is a phony manipulative medium and 99.9% don’t understand how editing really works and walk right into the trap.

Don’t believe everything you see and hear in this world. Wes definitely got thrown under the bus not doubt about it. all producers care about is RATINGS. Ratings =money=keeping your job. PLain and simple and all you haters are fools if you are so stubbornly closed minded as to not understand this.