The Bachelor 14 - Jake

News on Ali’s Fake Phone Call to Jake

On a formatting note, we’ve now broken up each of my columns into pages so you aren’t scrolling down one giant long page to read the column anymore. Might not be something you’re used to at first, but trust me, this is so much better. Don’t know why I didn’t think of this before. Well, I know why. Because I had no clue what I was doing.

The biggest news to deal with now is this phone call that Ali places to Jake in Monday’s episode wanting back on the show. Uh huh. Actually, I feel insulted that ABC would think I would buy that garbage they’re selling. Are you kidding me? There’s about a million things wrong with that clip they are currently previewing. Just on production value alone, it’s about as spliced and chopped up as anything they’ve ever done this side of Wes Hayden’s edit last season. How stupid do they think their audience is? I know a lot of you want Ali and Jake to end up together in the end, and thought they make a great couple, and are bummed she left the show, but I cannot stress this enough: this is the ABC hype machine in full force. In addition, you can rest assured that if Ali wasn’t under some ridiculous contract, that phone call never would’ve been placed. I think that phone call is a complete embarrassment for what it’s trying to portray her as. For those that haven’t seen it, here it is:

Geez, where do I begin? Ok first off, Jake is in his hotel bathroom in St. Lucia washing his face and hears the phone ring. As he walks towards the phone, which looks like it’s no more than 10 feet away from where he was in the bathroom, he has no watch on. But right when he turns the corner, he now has his watch on his left arm. Great editing you nimwits. So already we know the call is staged.

On Ali’s end, I don’t really understand exactly what they want us to believe here. That she’s actually back in San Francisco, yet laying in bed in a lavish Beverly Hills hotel room with a hotel robe on, or, that this woman actually sleeps with two 8 ½ x 11 glossy photos of Jake Pavelka on her nightstand? Which one is it? This video looks like something me and my best friend used to make back in high school where I’d play horseshoes with hats (Don’t worry about it. Long story). So the shot of Ali talking 1-on-1 with the camera with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background, that’s supposed to be real? Seriously? I’ve seen better fake backdrops at Disneyland when my niece takes a picture with Goofy.

This is without a doubt one of the worst acting jobs put on by both people in the history of this show. However, there’s a reason Ali made that phone call. She’s under contract. She was forced to. Sure, Ali had feelings for the guy when she left the show, and that phone call was placed shortly after she left the show (within a week or so), but that is not how this was all supposed to go down. Here is what my sources have recently told me about that bogus phone call:

-After Ali went back to work, the producers presented her with the idea for this phone call. Basically telling her, “Look, you’re gonna do this. And if you don’t, we’re going to make it seem a whole lot worse and we’ll pretty much say anything to Jake about you.” At this point, Ali still has feelings for the guy, still a little bitter she had to leave the show because of work, but she knew damn well she couldn’t come back on the show, because her work situation hadn’t changed. I know a lot of you are still doubting the whole “Facebook-called-her-back-so-she-had-to-leave” story, but I’m here to tell you it’s true.

-Ali had not been at Facebook long enough to warrant getting off any more time than she did. She used up all her vacation time to do the show. If she takes off any longer, then it becomes a permanent leave of absence and she’s out of a job. I think that’s pretty standard in any job. You’re allowed personal time off. Once you’ve used up all that personal time off (which Ali did), then you pretty much are risking your job by taking more time off on top of that. So that’s where the ultimatum came in. Either turn this into a permanent leave of absence and you’re out of a job when you get back, or, return to work. So she went back to work.

-The phone call was pre-produced, Ali was told to tell Jake she wanted him back, even though she knew she couldn’t go back on the show. It’s called a contract. She does what they tell her to do or else there are consequences. Ali was flown back to that LA hotel to make that phone call. Why the voice over in the preview has her saying she’s back in San Francisco thinking about Jake? I have no idea. Maybe when it plays out on TV, they’ll admit that Ali came back to LA at some point, but that promo clearly is insinuating that she’s back in San Francisco, thinking about Jake enough to keep bedside glossy photos of the guy, and that’s where she makes the call from. That’s obviously a hotel bed she’s in, along with the robe, phone, nightstand, and headboard. Good Lord this show makes me lose brain cells.

-One point tons of you are missing on this is where “Facebook” comes in to play. So many of you are saying “Facebook is loving the publicity its getting from this show. Of course they wouldn’t mind her being the ‘Bachelorette’.” Ummmm, not once has Ali mentioned on TV where she works, nor is she allowed to. She hasn’t said it on the show, you won’t hear her mention it on the “WTA” or when she does “Ellen” next week either. You will never hear the word “Facebook” uttered during this show. The only people who know she works at Facebook are about 1-2% of their viewing audience who follow message boards, tabloid mags, and blogs. That is not their core audience, you have to remember that. This shows core audience is middle aged housewives who live in fantasy land and think this is real. It’s not. The minute you stage a phone call and tell a girl to tell Jake “I want to come back” even though you know, she knows, and Jake knows that IT’S NOT POSSIBLE WHATSOEVER, then that’s where this show goes from being “reality TV” and becomes “unscripted drama”. Ali wasn’t given a script per se, but she was told what that phone call needed to be about. And Jake was well aware that phone call was happening. He was not caught off guard after washing his face and putting on his watch in world record time.

Would I be surprised if Jake wanted Ali back? No. Especially after hearing all this stuff come out about Vienna the last two months. I am being told Ali was very much into Jake, bummed that work presented her this ultimatum, was very upset she couldn’t see where this relationship could’ve gone, but that time has passed. They came to her within the last few weeks regarding being the “Bachelorette”, and of course she’s flattered. Who wouldn’t be? It’s pretty obvious she sees why she was told to make the phone call to Jake – it makes for good, dramatic television. The main point I tried to make in the interview last night is, you people have got to separate what happened during the October-November filming of all this against what has happened since then.

During filming, Jake is constantly telling the other girls, Chris Harrison, hell, anyone who’ll listen, “I’m not seeing the side of Vienna that you all are talking about.” So yes, she apparently had him fooled. But he made his choice of Vienna back on Nov. 22nd or 23rd. A lot has happened since that has probably clouded his judgment of her, as it should. He’s probably embarrassed that he’s gonna have to somehow defend her to the masses when no one understands his final decision. That’s why I said in the interview last night, when we see Jake and Vienna together (“together” meaning “on the same episode”) at the “ATFR”, I want him to confront her about everything that’s happened SINCE they left St. Lucia. If he doesn’t at least bring this up, than Jake Pavelka is truly the biggest puppet and weenie walking the face of the earth and he could not care less about finding a wife.

It should be an interesting ending to the season even though you’ve known what’s going to happen since January 6th. I’m talking more about the “WTA” and “ATFR” shows. Looks like Rozlyn is going to do the “WTA” after all. I’m sure I’ll get some info before that episode airs on Feb. 22nd. Just don’t know if I’ll have it before Tuesday’s recap. And we have plenty of time before the “ATFR” films, so I will see what I can get out of that. See you Tuesday unless something huge comes out of the “Women Tell All”, then I’ll have something for you Sunday. Monday will be traveling back to Texas most of the day. Emails, questions, comments, email me at steve@realitysteve.com. Have a great weekend…

1. penguinfan01

February 14, 2010 at 7:09 AM

I think ABC and Facebook cooked up a backroom deal to have Ali leave the show (telling her that her job was in jeopardy). That way, they can have her come back as the next Bachelorette, control what is being reported, FB can have lots of free advertising, and have lots of new people signing up to monitor what is going on. They are using her as a pawn in their game.

2. IrishCdnDebs

February 14, 2010 at 8:39 AM

@dori

Go to abc web site and you can see it from Canada: http://abc.go.com/shows/the-bachelor (second clip on the site now)

3. Da Babe

February 14, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Oh the drama. Great catch on the watch ! I just cant’ believe that people sell themselves so short for 15 minutes of fame.

4. Lisa0105

February 14, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Just so you know RS..both bridge shots are real… where Ali is in the window talking..that is the Bay Bridge behind her..and than the one outside..that is the real Golden Gate bridge.

As far as the watch goes..the ringing you hear when he is washing his face is probably just audio overlap from the next clip which is the phone ringing and Jake answering it.

If the show let Ed come back..I see no reason why Ali wouldn’t be able too also. She said she made a mistake..she made the wrong choice..so perhaps she was willing to let the job go??

5. jorgiegirl

February 14, 2010 at 1:27 PM

6. CWJ

February 14, 2010 at 8:13 PM

jorgiegirl :Prior to last week, I’d seen Ali as a strong woman. The role she seems to have been forced into by MF&CH is one of a sniveling, ambivalent, crying little girl. Wonder how she feels seeing herself in that episode? Perhaps she is America’s new sweetheart, but I’d rather see Roz as the new b’ette. However, she may be “too” beautifu to garner much support from middle-girth–oops–middle aged women, if that’s the b’ette demographic. Besides how can MF&CH “recast” her at this point after throwing her under the bus?

I think I’m more than *middle-aged* at OVER 65. Ali is not too beautiful to be considered for the next b’ette. However, I’d rather see Roz. Much more spunk and a far more interesting woman. This show needs to move away from the daytime soap opera genre if it’s going to keep any interest. Jake has been a nauseating disaster.

However, RS and his comments, NEVER disappoint me. Steve …. you rule !! Thanks. You make this show bearable.

7. jorgiegirl

February 14, 2010 at 8:27 PM

@CWJ
    “at OVER 65” …. me too :-) but I’ve read that’s the demographic, so just repeating…but then we should believe that “all live happily ever after” as well, right?

8. jorgiegirl

February 14, 2010 at 8:28 PM

@CWJ

9. dori

February 14, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Thanks Phei!

10. jorgiegirl

February 14, 2010 at 8:32 PM

@cwj
    (sorry above–hit enter mistakenly)
    i meant Roz as being “too beautiful”, not Ali, who is just another unblemished face in the crowd. ditto your rest…

11. dori

February 14, 2010 at 8:34 PM

oh! thanks Ryvetted and IrishCdnDebs as well!!!
    RS fans rock!
    [the real ones]
    😉

12. vevans1012

February 14, 2010 at 8:52 PM

I am wondering … what’s with the heliocopter flying around during the final rose ceremony??

13. kelcal

February 15, 2010 at 6:55 AM

Steve your right about Ali being in a posh hotel for the Fake phone call. However, it’s not in Beverly Hills, it’s in West Hollywood. lol I did a little sluething myself and here”s what I found.
    The hotel is the “LeMontrose” Suite Hotel. Check out their website, she’s staying in an Executive Suite… same bedspead, room arrangement etc.

14. hlauburn

February 15, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I’m still a little confused as to WHY Ali think she has to make the phone call. If she definitely CAN’T go back (because of work or whatever reason), why does she agree to make the call? It sounds like Steve is saying ABC is threatening her, but I find that a little to believe. I do think its all set up for ratings and the drama factor, but I don’t get why Ali feels like she has to go along with the plan.

Any thoughts??

15. Beaner

February 15, 2010 at 2:55 PM

@hlauburn
    It is not that Ali feels like she has to go along with the plan, she is under contractual obligation to “go along with the plan”. They are under contract during and after the show ends. ABC is not threatening her, they are just telling her the next step in their storyline that she must abide by.

16. dallasite

February 15, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Gia has a boyfriend & Vienna is the F1:
    “Gia has been dating a guy named Dominick Pierno who had to pretend the couple broke up…OK, so for your spoiler. Vienna wins. Yes, she is the one who is the daughter of the stripper. Don’t hold that against her though.”

17. dtbmjax

February 15, 2010 at 3:32 PM

I kind of surprised no one has mentioned this. ABC.com has been very quick about updating the status of each contestants bio on their site, usually the following day after the contestant leaves. As of this posting, Ali is still listed as “Still competing for Jake.”

Hmmmmm……..

18. medavinci

February 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM

What is wrong with the bachelor???? This is exactly like Ed leaving and coming back with jillian and also that jason picked the wrong girl….a combo of both. they are getting old and boring and besides it doesn’t matter who jake picks because like all the others it won’t work o ut.

19. Caroll

February 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Re: three remaining women Rose Ceremony: when Vienna got out of the limo in her red dress to go into the Rose Ceremony, it looked as though she went in for a hug and kiss with Chris! He quickly ducked and attempted to close the limo door as if nothing had happened. I’m sure that wasn’t scripted! But most of the show was so edited and scripted that I had to laugh. The telephone call and all that crying. Laughable!

20. soulure

February 15, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Did anyone else notice Jakes’s meds while he was washing his face just before the phone call? He quickly hid them behind some bottles in the next cut. Really curious what he is on. :)

21. Bubbles

February 15, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Steve, the target audience may be middle-age housewives but I guarandamntee you that we don’t think it’s real. Give us more credit; it’s good for laughs and provides cheap entertainment on a Monday night. I must admit that Jake is turning out to be a real putz—”I’m in love with three girls at the same time.” Please. Here’s what we want to know: Is there any boinking going on with the dollies while they’re on the show? TTFN. –Bubbles

22. kmn0701

February 15, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Vienna looks like a guy. What is with Jake? He has got to be the most naive bachelor ever. Thank God for you RS….I’ve spared myself the nausea of watching him pick Vienna! (Though I’ll probably watch for the idiotic reality TV comedy just for kicks & giggles….yeah, I’m sick that way)

23. Bubbles

February 15, 2010 at 10:50 PM

The cat was out of the bag on Ali’s status when the promo for tomorrow’s Ellen DeGeneres show featured “Bachelor castoff Ali.” It played here about 11 hours before The Bachelor aired tonight. – Bubbles

24. Inky

February 15, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I glanced in on the show tonite and then after a few minutes leave so I could wait for RS to give me the highlights and what to watch for but I have to say Gia was sweating like a pig tonight! On my big screen Hi-Def it was all I could do to not wipe off my screen!

Looks like everything is on the RS track as scheduled! Cant wait for the train wreck in 2 weeks!

25. tweet

February 16, 2010 at 3:41 AM

no doubt the call was scripted, but the shot in SF is legit. we live in the highrise condo in the background. these buildings overlook the Bay Bridge, not the Golden Gate Bridge.

26. Phei

February 16, 2010 at 3:45 AM

I just finished watching the show and RS was spot on! The way ABC made it look like Ali was coming back was ridiculous. Jake was so cheesy throughout the episode but what else is new. Gia saying it takes her so long to get over her break ups, apparently not, she is already dating someone. At the last scene where Jake is with Tenley and Vienna you could clearly see V and J do not make a cute couple at all. Tenley and Jake would make alot better wedding pics. Jake is such a douche. Even when he is “himself” with Vienna goofing around there’s just something very forced and mechanical with him. He doesnt look sincere at all. With any of them.

27. Sunnyside422

February 16, 2010 at 5:43 AM

He is robotic in his every action! What a total dork!

Now will the people who doubt you and your information Steve, please disappear!

28. besen

February 16, 2010 at 5:56 AM

fake calls gee whats next this show is getting to be soo stupid Oh wait its always been stupid I feel the only reason jake is gonna pick vienna is that its scripted anything so abc has rating..

29. fairygirl

February 16, 2010 at 7:18 AM

Was it just me, or did anyone else notice how fake Gia’s tears were? Wonder how much Visine they had to go through to get that effect?

30. charlotte

February 16, 2010 at 7:31 AM

RS – Thank you for my morning coffee spewing session. You ROCK! You should definitely be the next bachelor. I’d tune in. Hell, I’d probably audition. Right after I clean the Starbucks off my screen. Jake is SUCH a tool.

31. Phei

February 16, 2010 at 7:45 AM

I didn’t believe Gia’s crying at all..

32. ling24

February 16, 2010 at 11:28 AM

I knew how fake abc is when the promo showed Jake saying “get on the plane, come here right now.” when in “reality” he said “as much as I would like to say get on the plane, come here right now, I can’t because I’m developing feelings for other woman.
    This works as well, because I really can’t imagine any of the other top 4 being the bachelorette.

33. jerseygirldv

February 16, 2010 at 12:26 PM

When does Steve usually update his website… I can’t wait to read about last night’s episode!!

34. Phei

February 16, 2010 at 1:17 PM

35. kathimcgraw

February 16, 2010 at 2:13 PM

kathimcgraw :

violet02 :
    @Carrythe0
    It is indeed 21 days. I have no idea why they picked that but that’s 21 work days off, not including weekends. Vacation days do not include weekend days. That’s 21 Paid Time Off Days.
    Also in re: to how long you have to work at a co. to start receiving Vacation Days in the corporate jobs I’ve worked at (and I work in Silicon Valley with friends that work at Facebook) your time off can start the day you start working. It takes a year to earn those days off since you accrue at a certain amount per pay period but you can start using them right away. You need to earn them back though and if you leave the co. in the red on vacation days you’ll owe that money when you leave.

When I was in corporate America, there was a 90-day “probation” period, no benefits. I wonder if that is still true. If it is, wouldn’t Ali have just barely finished her probation (maybe not even), before heading off to tape at the Bachelor pad? I actually think the most likely scenario is that she informed FB that she was committed to being on The Bachelor. Can you imagine starting a new job, when you’re most concerned about making a good impression, and then just taking all that time off with no plausible explanation? My thought is she told FB ahead of time, not thinking she would last as long as she did, and FB was losing its patience that she hadn’t returned to work yet.

OK, I just watched the Ellen interview of Ali and she said “In the leave of absence papers, it says you can’t take a leave of absence unless you’ve been at the company a year and I hadn’t.”

36. poddington

February 16, 2010 at 2:20 PM

once again Jake wipes fake tears after dumping a girl. It is almost like he is rubbing his eyes, willing tears to squeeze out. then he returns to the remining girls with a $hit eating grin on his face. dude is disturbed.

37. jemerson

February 16, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Ali is a fake as Jake. What a total “directed” drama by the ABC producers masquerading as a realityshow. Let’s see, didn’t Ali ask repeatedly, “If Vienna is the kind of gal Jake wants, them I am not?”. So, after he beds down, in order (Gia, Tenley, Vienna), Ali makes the call? Oh right, and then she makes a phone call to tell him she made a mistake. What total hogwash. Is there any sane person watching that believes this? What a joke.

Steve: did I miss it, or is your commentary about Monday’s overall show on 2/15 missing? I see the comments on Ali’s phone call, but are you going to wright about the rest of the show.

One of my main questions for any of these female “contestants” is that is it really ok for the man you claim to love, to be not only dating 2 other ladies, but getting carnal pleasure from them the night before they see you? Does “The Bachelor” blow pixie dust in these gals, or what?

38. kathimcgraw

February 16, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Hard to argue that point! Not only that they claim to love him, but that he tells them he’s falling in love with them too. Grosses me out, dipping in three different wells in one week. All I can hope is that they aren’t really boinking – the show just leads us to believe they are.

39. jemerson

February 16, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Ah, lady. Do you really think Vienna and Gia did not have sex with Jake on the overnight? Man, from what we know about Vienna, I am guessing she told him, “Jake – my body is yours, do anything with it you want to!”. Gia has been a pass around sex toy for some pro-athletes. We all know what pro-athletes do with their groupies. Tenley is the dearest, and if she did give her body to him, it will be a betrayal of Biblical proportions when he picks Vienna in 2 weeks. Poor Tenley. She needs to take some man time off, get her head clear, and then go out and find a kind, respectful and real man. Not anything like douche bag Jake garbage.

40. jemerson

February 16, 2010 at 2:59 PM

@lithargic

Wow. Are we surprised or what? The pefect outcome for two low quality character people. I can imagine Jake dumped her pronto after all the trash came out. But Jake is the true empty suit of a man. What a loser. No wonder he can’t find a woman, and I ask the question, “What true quality woman would want him”. He is a loser of the royal degree, has a huge ego of himsef, and is a Type I narcissist for sure. Really bad qualities for a man some lady would want to get serious with and marry.

41. kathimcgraw

February 16, 2010 at 3:03 PM

jemerson :

As I said, “All I can hope…”

42. Carrythe0

February 16, 2010 at 4:07 PM

@kathimcgraw
    Keep hoping. What percentage of this show’s “core audience” threw up in their mouths when they realized that Jake took all three of these girls to bed after telling Ali last week that she would be one of the three, which means he was ready to send one of his bedmates home?

43. Teresa

February 16, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Anyone dumped by Jake is lucky! Count your blessings, girls! And the deal with Ali I think is that they want her to appear soooooooooo much the sentimental favorite that she will be the next Bachelorette. Similar to the trick they played where Jake came back and tried to help Jillian and then gets dumped again, ouch. The thing that bugged the most to me is that he called Gia doll face, and that’s the same crappy name he used for JIllian in Bachelorette, and it made me gag then, too, only worse now since he knew he was going to send Gia home last week and still apparently spent the night with her this week.

44. mgauntt1

February 16, 2010 at 6:28 PM

I would think if Grease 2 is one of your guilty pleasures, as it is mine, you would be able to work “I’ve got a rep to protect” into one of your blogs.

45. kathimcgraw

February 17, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Attention all Reality Steve fans: I am starting a campaign to get The Bonnie Hunt Show to bring RS on for a guest interview. They make fun of The Bachelor every week in their recap, pointing out how ridiculous & phony it is. I’ve already sent them an email with the request. Here is the link http://www.bonniehunt.com/show/respond/?PlugID=71
    Unfortunately, her show is getting canceled this May, so she has nothing to lose by having RS on for an expose. It would be great if we can get him on a show with a nationally televised audience!

46. WolfGirl

February 17, 2010 at 9:50 PM

If you find Ali annoying and fake as we do, then join this fan page:

47. darinsoutham

February 20, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I hope Ali isn’t the next bachelorette – watch this spoof on the Bachelorette – I think the girl in this one (Jennica) should be the next Bachelorette! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHpyhxT_jQU