American Idol 9

American Idol Recap – 4/6/10

As mentioned on Monday, this will be the last column this week. No “Reality Roundup” Friday since I’m on a plane in a couple hours back to California for the weekend. You know what was completely obvious, yet I failed to realize about the three “Idol” shows since the Top 12 started? That a woman has gotten booted every week. For some reason, that never registered with me there’s only three girls left on the show. However, I don’t think any of those three have to worry about going home tonight, they’re pretty much safe. And finally Katie Stevens is putting together some performances that I thought she could from the beginning. Good for her. Hope she finds a date to prom out of all this. More on that in a minute.

One shout out I wanted to give is, for the 2nd year in a row, I’ve been invited to CAP (Child Abuse Prevention) Center “Celebrity Waiter” Gala next Saturday night, April 17th at Hotel Palomar in Dallas. Last year was my first time being invited, and although I’m a horrible waiter, it was a lot of fun. Tons of money raised for a good charity, met some interesting people, and had a great time overall. So I appreciate the invite back this year, especially since the last thing I consider myself is a celebrity, but I’m sure it’ll be a blast yet again. Although, it’d be nice if I actually had a date to this thing. Applications still being accepted. On to last night’s performances…

Aaron Kelly, “Long and Winding Road”: Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Totally put me to sleep. In fact, a lot of the performances did last night to be honest. I thoroughly enjoyed the video packages before the performances than I did most of the actual singing last night. I was interested to see what they all thought of each other. I had read last week about the “Yoda” thing in regards to Aaron, so that wasn’t much of a surprise. I think it’s safe to say his time on this show is running out. The judges were right in that he kinda does the same exact thing every week. He’s Archuleta-light with less talent. It’s almost impossible now to predict who’s going home on a weekly basis since I have no idea where these voters heads are at. Tim Urban has no business still being there, and he is. So I’m clueless.

Katie Stevens, “Let It Be”: Good stuff from her last night. I certainly enjoyed the performance and she finally looks comfortable up there and has some momentum. Whether she can continue it is a different story. Kinda like “DWTS”, I think voters like seeing people improve. Crystal has been installed as the favorite since the beginning. So it’s almost impossible for her to improve on a weekly basis. The best she can do is belt out consistent performance after consistent performance, but that gets old to the voters. If Katie improves, she’ll start getting more peoples votes that maybe weren’t into her in the beginning. With that said, I think she needs to perform the “Single Ladies” dance sometime during this season. Not bad. As for five guys have asked her to prom already, if I’m not mistaken, I’ve read she had a boyfriend back home. Good for you, Katie. I bet he’s the one, right? You know, because all high school crushes are the one you end up with later in life. Or dump you the minute they go off to college and have a whole new group of friends two weeks into freshman year. So enjoy him while it lasts, cuz it’ll be over soon. Hey, since Katie’s taking prom applications, maybe she can be my date for the charity event. Kidding. I’ll only take someone that’s legal.

Andrew Garcia, “Can’t Buy Me Love”: First off, if you haven’t seen Monday’s episode of “24”, then stop reading. If you have, gotta give an R.I.P. to President Hassan. That sucked. Now mini-Hassan needs to carry the torch for him and take home the “American Idol” trophy. Uhhh, not gonna happen. He was ok tonight. Nothing great, nothing terrible. I just loved the fact he sang “Can’t Buy Me Love” which reminded me of the movie. Not because I’ve seen it 1,000 times because I haven’t, but just for the fact that Patrick Dempsey has had quite the resurgent career. Seemed like he did a lot of movies back as a teenager (“Loverboy” being an all-time favorite of mine), then disappeared for about 10 years, only to return and now every woman in America loves him again. Interesting dynamic. You know what I realized? I know this may be ground breaking so you might wanna pay attention. I realized that if you’re on TV, women will throw themselves at you. That’s it. That’s all it takes. Just go on TV, or get in a movie, or do some stupid reality show, and no matter what, there will be loads of women losing all their inhibitions around you. It’s fascinating study in social behavior really. You could absolutely have no discernable talent whatsoever, but if you were on TV, there’s likely to be a gang of women out there somewhere who will do you.

Michael Lynche, “Elanor Rigby”: He let us know beforehand that back when he was growing up, his family used to tour and referred to themselves as the “Lynch Mob”. Ummmm, ok. Lets just skip that one. Some of you may have liked Michael’s performance last night, but for me (I sound like Randy now), it was just ok. Why? Because David Cook did this song two years ago and blew up the stage. Tell me, which performance did you like better? What Michael did last night, or this:

It’s not even close. Hence the reason that this season doesn’t match up with others. Name me anyone this season who commands the stage or gives performances like David gave? And by the way, that was David’s 4th or 5th best performance that season. Now he was someone who was well under the radar when the season started, but got better and better and better every week, and by the end, you were saying to yourself, “Where did this guy come from? He’s miles better than everyone else.”

Crystal Bowersox, “Come Together”: A solid, consistent performance from her. I think at this point because she was installed as the favorite early on, consistent might not be good enough. Sure, she’s not going home this week and won’t be in the bottom three, but if she really wants to win, she has to start pumping out performances that have people talking about it for a couple of days. I didn’t think last night was one of them. It was good, it was done to a popular song that’s been covered a million times, but I didn’t think it was anything that memorable. Then again, I don’t think any of these contestants ever do anything too memorable. There’s maybe been one or two performances in four weeks now that have people talking the next day. Whereas in past seasons, it seemed like there was at least one or two per week.

Tim Urban, “All My Lovin”: Man, they’re just toying with him now. Really Randy? You’re gonna grade him on a “Tim scale”? How insulting was that? Basically he just told the guy, “Look, you’re the worst one we have left so I’m not gonna judge you up against everyone else. I’ll just judge you against you.” Tim is the Buzz Aldrin of “Idol” minus the plastic face. And the scary looking wife with the ridiculously high cheek bones. Was this better than his first three weeks? Yes. But that’s not saying much. I think for “Idol Gives Back” this year, Tim should cut his hair and have his teenie bopper fan base bid on it. Guarantee they’ll raise some good money. Tim looks like he should be the lead in your high school senior production of “Damn Yankees” or something like that. This show is much, much too big for him.

Casey James, “Jealous Man”: Funny he chose that song considering the rumor that hit the internet yesterday. Who the hell knows if its true or not, I don’t care. I just thought last night, especially when he got a little emotional during the song, it seemed like maybe knowing what’s being said kinda got to him. Not sure. Then again, the guy was married before, so who knows what to make of it. Honestly, I don’t care but there are plenty of people out there who do and will believe anything they read on certain websites. I disagreed with Simon last night on him. His performance put me to sleep. You can talk about all the “vulnerability” you want. That performance was boring and will not have anyone talking about it today. I think they’re more likely to be talking about his sexuality than they are of his performance of “Jealous Man”. Regardless of if its true or not, its out there now and he has to deal with it.

Siobhan Magnus, “Across the Universe”: Good God, could someone have breathed a little life into the show last night? All these slow moving, boring songs were driving me nuts. Back-to-back after Casey’s snoozer made this even worse. No, Siobhan isn’t going home this week but with more dreary performances like that, she might as well. Shocking to hear her fellow cast mates say she’s the weirdest person they’ve ever met. Really? You don’t say? I thought wearing knee high white boots with half a wedding gown on was normal attire for a woman. I guess I’m not up to date on my women’s fashion sense.

Lee DeWyze, “Hey Jude”: Slowly turning in to this season’s David Cook. Gaining more confidence, starting to smile, and starting to produce music you can hear on the radio. Two weeks ago I said if you asked me right then who would win this season, I said Michael Lynche just by process of elimination since I couldn’t see anyone else winning. Now? I think it’s Lee’s to lose. As long as he keeps coming out of his shell, he’s a lock for the final two at least. I think it’ll either be a Lee/Michael final or Lee/Crystal. I mean really, who else is getting to the finals? Aaron? No. Andrew? No. Siobhan? Not anymore. Katie? I don’t think so because she started too far back with two bottom 3 appearances already. Tim? Please. Casey? Probably the only other one who has a chance to crack the top 2 or top 3.

Reality Steve’s Top 3 Performances:

1. David Cook
2. Lee DeWyze
3. Katie Stevens

Reality Steve’s Bottom 3 Performances:

1. Aaron Kelly
2. Tim Urban
3. Casey James

Reality Steve’s Bottom 3 Prediction:

1. Tim Urban
2. Aaron Kelly
3. Andrew Garcia

Reality Steve’s prediction of who’ll get eliminated: Tim Urban. I think I’ll just keep predicting him until he’s gone. Lets see, he doesn’t get eliminated in the three weeks he was terrible, so, maybe he goes home on the week where he was relatively average? He can’t be around much longer, can he? Please people. You didn’t vote enough for Buzz on Monday night, lets hope you were able to control yourselves for voting for Tim last night. Nice guy, crazy hair, fun at parties, just doesn’t need to be on this show anymore. Lets hope America did the right thing. Which I’m sure they didn’t.

Ok, I’m off to catch a plane. I will be back next Wednesday with another “Idol” recap. Any questions, comments, emails, praises, criticisms, email me at steve@realitysteve.com. Follow me on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. See you next week.

1. ffmcfly

April 7, 2010 at 6:36 AM

How ’bout Casey looking like Leif Garrett? What was up w/ the outfit?

2. jorgiegirl

April 7, 2010 at 7:25 AM

@ Steve,
    Neither you nor the judges saw “anything terrible” with Garcia last night??? He was pitchy all over the place, and after saying he hoped he “didn’t change it too much” was almost unrecognizable! Terrible. Just terrible. I think their strategy was to praise everyone except Tim last night, hoping he’d come through with a pathetic performance so they could rant on him some more and get him ousted, but it was clearly his best, so they couldn’t diss him too much. In fact, Tim and Katie were probably the only ones who hit every note.

Just as you comment on DWTS, is this a popularity contest, one for “most improved” talent, or one for “most talented to begin with”?

3. mommyof2

April 7, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Steve-
    I’ve been reading your blog since Jason’s season of the Bachelor, but couldn’t resist finally commenting on last night’s American Idol performance after reading your reference to David Cook. My two favorite all-time American Idol performers are Chris Daughtry and David Cook, and David Cook’s season was by far the best season of American Idol, in my opinion. He blew everyone out of the water from early on (although he may have been under the radar during Hollywood week and to the judges). His performances just rocked, and I agree that Michael Lynche’s rendition of Eleanor Rigby doesn’t even come close to David Cook’s version! I think Michael Lynch is a great singer, has lots of charisma, confidence, etc…, but I honestly don’t see him winning this thing. He’s too much like Rueben Studdard, so it’s kinda like we’ve “been there, done that”. I disagree with your assessment of Casey’s perfromance last night. I thought his was the best of the night, followed by Crystal. My prediction is that the final 4 will be: Lee, Crystal, Casey, and Michael, with Michael dropping off, then Casey, and the final 2 will be Lee and Crystal. I think Lee will win. All 4 will get record deals somewhere, so it doesn’t really matter who wins anyway (look at Daughtry, who should’ve won that season, but was picked off way too early).

As far as DWTS, here are my favorites: Nicole, Evan, and Erin. Nicole will win b/c she’s the best dancer and has the best partner, Derek, who is really the best choreographer and entertainer out of all of the professional dancers. Nicole’s beauty (my husband loves her!) and kind personality (I really liked her as a judge on the Singoff competition back in December) adds to the probability that she’ll win. Evan is great, too, and I just like seeing the chemistry between Maks and Erin (I agree with your assumption that they’re hooking up, and why not? They’re both hot!).

Anyway, I’m looking forward to your news regarding Ali’s season of the Bachelorette.

4. mommyof2

April 7, 2010 at 8:48 AM

One more thing… I live in Richmond, and my husband saw Rozlyn out at lunch one day last month and he said she’s just as hot in person as on the show. I’m definitely on team Rozlyn.. especially since she’s a fellow Richmonder and mom. I hope she knows she’s got lots of support, even from people she doesn’t even know! It’s obvious the producers used her for people to hate to take the focus of hatred off of their “winner”, Vienna. Although, I refuse to judge how bad Vienna actually is since I don’t know her either.
    One thing is for certain though: I’m so SICK of seeing Jake on TV! I’ve watched him on 3 shows now (Jillian’s Bachelorette, Jake’s Bachelor, and now DWTS), and I’m so glad he was in the bottom 2 of DWTS last night. I’m counting down the weeks to where he’ll be gone and I don’t have to watch his goofy neck/head movement thing he does every time he’s on camera. He’s a complete waste of good looks b/c he’s such a dork! Okay, I’m being judgmental here and he’s probably a really nice guy, but I’m just tired of him as he somehow just gets on my nerves. I would have much rather seen Tenley or Molly on DWTS (I loved seeing Melissa on there!). Actually, I’d love to see Andrew Firestone on that show since he’s my favorite Bachelor of them all, followed by Ryan Sutter (Trista’s season) and Reid (Jillian’s season). Reid would be quite witty, I think.

5. skipper

April 7, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Steve,
    Being as savvy as you are I can’t believe you’ve never went to the Vote for the Worst website. Tim has been their pick since day one and that’s why he’s not going anywhere. Check it out it’s a good read and a fun way to snub the Idol shenanigans.

6. dori

April 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM

@mommyof2
    Hey! I’m glad you decided to finally post b/c Andrew Firestone on DWTS is a great idea. I’d love to see that. (not Ryan so much b/c then we’d have to endure Trista and she has over-extended her 15 mins as much as Jake has.

Steve, have a great trip and looking forward to when you get some dirt on the new BachAli season.

7. lemon-lime

April 7, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Y’all vote for Turban next week!
    The one or two on the show that can actually sing will get their contracts, even if they don’t win.
    In the mean time, spit in the eye of this karoke reality show posing as a singing competition!
    Vote for Turban!

8. contusion

April 7, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Someone asked why Casey wore the white suit. It’s like John Lennon’s white suit when he was a solo artist. I had kind of figured that the whole Vote for the Worst thing had sort of waned a bit and couldn’t muster up enough people to actually keep anyone around after their first season or two of doing it. However, they have had Tim Urban’s back the whole time, so maybe it does have something to do with it. I’m sorry they used the save on Big Mike tonight. He’s a nice guy and all, but it’s not like he’s going to win it. Why not save the “save” until someone capable of winning gets sent packing? Now it’s toast and if Lee or Crystal fall to the bottom unexpectedly (stranger things have happened) they will be done. Too bad.

If anyone has seen Andrew Firestone interviewed in the last year or so I think you’d agree that the last thing the guy would be caught doing is going back on a reality show.

9. lemon-lime

April 8, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Steve: the song is called “Jealous Guy,” not jealous man

10. light2you

April 9, 2010 at 3:20 AM

Did you really just say “Jealous Man” as the name of that song???????? wow…just ….wow.

11. mommyof2

April 10, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I think Andrew Firestone would be awesome on DWTS, but I agree that he probably won’t do it b/c unlike many of the other Bachelors/ettes, he doesn’t seem to seek the limelight (one of the reasons I like him). However, I’d still love for him to do it!

As far as the save on Big Mike on AI, I was so disappointed that the judges used it! I agree he doesn’t have a chance to win this thing (especially if he already had the least votes last week), and now sympathizers will probably vote for him big-time next week, Worsters and teeny-boppers will keep Tim Urban around, and people who’ve been voting for the best singers (Casey, Lee , and Crystal- in my opinion) may think they’re favorite is safe and may not vote at all, which could jeopardize one of those 3 (I believe that’s what happened to Daughtry during his season). All this combined with the fact that 2 people are going home next week… I don’t know, but to me, last season and this season of AI just seems somewhat boring. I guess nothing can top the David Cook-Archuletta season, in my book!