Reality Roundup

Reality Roundup – 5/20/10 Including Stuff on the “Bachelorette”, the “Survivor” finale, and “Bachelor Pad”

I’d say in the last five years, maybe longer, America has become fascinated with celebrities lives. It’s a TMZ world we’re living in and we basically just have to accept it. Hey, I enjoy hearing good dirt just as the next person does, but my life definitely doesn’t revolve around it. I’ve just never understood people’s fascinations with celebrities every day lives. I can understand the Tiger Woods story and Jesse James stories. Tiger is the world’s most famous athlete and Jesse cheated on arguably America’s most popular actress going right now. So I understand those stories getting attention. Who doesn’t love a good sex scandal? No, what I’m talking about is camping outside a Starbucks because Jennifer Aniston is in there ordering a latte. Who the hell cares? You realize there are people in this world so sick in the head, that because Jennifer Aniston drinks from the same coffee place they do, they think they have some sort of bond with her? Like the section in “US Weekly” called “Stars – They’re Just Like Us”. Really? You needed to tell me that? You mean just because they’re on TV they’re not super human beings that are totally different than us normal folk? You don’t say! Wow. Thanks for reminding me. I had no idea they actually feed their children, shop for groceries, and get speeding tickets just like the rest of us. Wow. Fascinating.

Which brings me to my point. Ali is back in LA making the media rounds this week and the paparazzi was out in full force. Over Ali Fedotowsky. Someone no one gave a rat’s ass about six months ago. Now she gets out of a cab and can’t walk four feet without some loser bombarding her with stupid questions and cameramen telling her how beautiful she is. Really? This is unreal. In case you missed it, here’s the clip of her the other day in LA before getting her hair done. I feel like slitting my wrists after watching this. Remember, this isn’t Jesus Christ walking into the beauty salon. It’s Ali Fedotowsky. Mind boggling.

What a miserable life you must lead if that is your job on a daily basis. Just camp out for famous people to walk by and harass them. Are you serious? And with Ali, I use the term “famous” verrrrrrry loosely. She’s not famous. Just because you’re on TV does not make you famous. Problem is, most people in America don’t think that way. And I guarantee that 90% of the people who watch this show, if they saw Ali in the street, would probably act the exact same way. Get a hold of yourselves people. What has Ali done? Went on a reality show for 8 episodes? That constitutes having to stalk her like that creepy cameraman did from outside the salon? Thank God we didn’t get a wide shot of him because I’m certain his pants were probably down at his ankles as he was pleasuring himself against the window. Dude, you’re a loser. All of you photogs are losers. I’m not gonna play Mr. Protector here of Ali, but that’s pretty ridiculous what happened. I mean, c’mon. She’s going to get her hair done and that’s the treatment she gets? And as bad as that was, it’s ten times worse for an actual real celebrity. Paparazzi might be the lowest form of human life walking the planet. I actually felt bad for her. Although acting like she was a tad embarrassed and maybe even annoyed, you just KNOW Ali was secretly enjoying every second of that attention.

As for the other “Bachelorette” news you’re dying to know, sorry, nothing new to report. Well, I can say this. The reason I am not running with anything is because I am not sure of the end result of the show. I mean, I’ve known all along there is one guy between Chris and Roberto that Ali DOESN’T choose, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I know the ending. The way I see it, that leaves three possibilities remaining for the other guy:

-She chose him and they’re engaged
-She chose him and they’re just dating
-She chose no one

I know that there is no tricky ending with someone returning or anything like that and I know for certain that one of those two wasn’t chosen. I just don’t know what the result is with the other one. And once I know that, then I’ll tell you everything. Last season I was specifically told by more than one source, “Jake picks Vienna”, so I felt comfortable running with it and I told everyone that two days after the first episode aired. I never strayed from saying Vienna was the F1. I always knew he picked her, I just didn’t know if they were engaged. I haven’t been told that this season. Yet. Doesn’t mean Ali did or didn’t pick the other guy, just means I haven’t been told yet what she did. So there. Like I said, at this point, it’s 50/50. Half of you will say you know it’s Chris and half of you will say you know it’s Roberto, when in reality, all you’re doing is speculating.

“Survivor” Finale

The difference between me and a lot of people that go on that jury is I wouldn’t care if someone lied to me or backstabbed me to get farther in the game. If they were playing the best strategic game, they’d get my vote at Tribal Council. However, most of those people on the jury take everything so personal and vote for who is the most likable of the three, rather than who played the game best. I think that sucks. To each their own on how they want to vote, but it’s obvious their vote for Sandra was more of a vote against Russell, and against Parvati since they lumped her in with him. I just don’t understand the logic behind that at all. Hell, if you don’t want to reward Russell for the best strategic game, fine. But even Sandra over Parvati?

I just have a problem with Sandra winning twice having never won an immunity challenge and being horrible in all physical challenges. Guys like Colby and Boston Rob are great players. To a man, everyone who’s a fan of this show will tell you they were two of the best to ever play. Very few will dispute that. Physically dominant in their respective seasons (well, except for Colby this season). Yet they’ve never won, and Sandra has played twice, never won a challenge, yet is a two-time winner. I know there’s more to the game than the physical aspect, but I find something wrong with that.

She’s not the greatest “Survivor” ever. You can’t just lump that into one category. Right now, everyone agrees Lebron James is a freak of nature and is the best player in the NBA. He’s been voted the league’s MVP two seasons in a row now. Yet, he’s never won a championship. So yes, it is possible to be considered the best at something without taking home the “title” of winner. I think at this point, because the dynamic of the show has changed so much, you have to break it down into:

-Best Survivor of all the people who’ve won
-Best Strategic Survivor player
-Best Physical Survivor player

And if you were to actually try and answer those three, I think two of those are the easy to answer. The best strategic player in the history of this game is Russell. Love him or hate him, he did things on this show that no one else has done. The best physical player is either Boston Rob or Colby, based on them having won the most Immunity Challenges. People forget how dominant those guys are in challenges and how much of an asset they are to their team. Well, minus Colby this season when he practically mailed it in. Australia? He was a beast. All-Stars? Same thing. I think one of the single most dominant physical performances was put on by Boston Rob in All-Stars. Hell, he was the best physical player this season too before getting voted off. As for the best “Survivor” from previous winners, you can debate that forever. Everyone has their favorites.

You can’t lump everything into one category and say this person or that person is the best. It’s very easy to get far in the game by playing under the radar. If they had another All-Star season and Sandra was on, even though she’s won twice, she still wouldn’t be a target on the first day. No one fears her. No one cares about her. Russell would be gone on Day 1 if he played again because EVERYONE has seen him play now. I think that says something about his game play vs. Sandra’s. So basically this can be debated until the end of time. There really is no right or wrong answer. Has Sandra won twice? Yes. But it’s certainly not because she was a dominant player in either of her seasons. I hate it when the “under the radar” player takes home the title. And of the 20 seasons, about half the time, the most deserving player never wins. There’s something wrong with that.

1. ironicbarbie

May 21, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Couldn’t agree more on the pap issue; they’re lower than low.

Not sure Bachelor Pad will be as obvious as you think; I think a lot of the people involved have loyalties to numerous individuals/cliques and those torn loyalties may make it even more complicated in terms of figuring out who they will/won’t/might back. Guess we’ll see soon enough. Curious to see exactly who’s cast.

Looking forward to another season of sarcasm!

2. metrohack

May 21, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Well,it’s confirmed now, you know nothing about music and after this post it is clear you know nothing about Survivor. Even by your standards Parvati is clearly the best to have ever played the game.

3. RavenFischer

May 21, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Steve, I’ve been watching Survivor since season 1. While Richard Hatch may have been the first “Sole Survivor”, Susan’s attack on Kelly at Tribal (“if I saw you in a desert, dying of thirst, I wouldn’t stop to give you a sip of water…”) was GREAT TV and paved the way for the show. And while Russell may be one of the dirtiest players ever, he had 18 seasons to learn from. Richard was the true trailblazer.

It’s tricky calling anyone “the best Survivor ever.” And I believe there’s a different approach to playing the game before – and after – the merge. But the key to WINNING is mastering the jury. YOUR jury, and your jury only. Other seasons don’t matter. That’s why there’s no “best approach” to winning the game. You have to calculate how you’ve treated (or mistreated) each member of the jury, and then sell them on you at the final Tribal. Sometimes it’s just simple math.

Personally, I’d rather see the best, strongest, nicest, people win (go, Ozzie!). And frankly, I don’t know why the 4 or 5 strongest guys don’t align on Day 1 and say, “let’s ride this til the end.” Immunity Idols and Hidden Idols notwithstanding, the key to moving on is alliances.

Without having been on the show, I can’t say what outside influences affect what we see every week: production elements, conversations we’re not shown, etc, but you’d think EVERYONE goes on the show with some degree of a plan. It’s always surprising to see contestants who seemingly go in with NO IDEA how to play. (Can you say, Erik…?) Gotta keep sending in those audition applications, I guess. Would love the opportunity…

Keep it up, Steve.

4. jen02

May 21, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Sandra still had game, even if it wasn’t physical. She convinced Russell to vote for Coach. And though she wasn’t able to convince the Heroes to vote Russell out, she still played enough to keep herself in. She didn’t put up with his bullsh**. The only reason Russell even got to the final three is because people knew they could win against him. His “strategy” involved bullying people (vote for me or you’re gone next). In order to actually win, you have to play the social game too. Talking to people like actual people is a step in the right direction. Unfortunately, Russell is just a misogynistic, egomaniacal ugly little man. Boston Rob got it right – Russell sees staying in the game until the end as “winning”; not necessarily getting the $1M. And people get to the end many different ways, whether it be riding the coattails of a strategic player or being so loathsome that everyone on the jury hates you. This season’s contestants have played before and I believe they respect a good game, and vote accordingly.

5. poddington

May 21, 2010 at 5:59 PM

agreed. ali footage is disturbing. most phoney and vapid ‘ette evah.

6. my_4_girls

May 22, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Can hardly wait to read your post on Tuesday, and i agree that it seems like just yesterday when Jake’s season was over. Time flies! Thanks for being there for thos of us who like the spoilers… you’re the best!:)

7. Da Babe

May 22, 2010 at 11:00 AM

So paps are chasing Ali? For real? And what is with that lame wave of hers? Evidently she hasn’t been practicing the red carpet wave. LOL And you are right Steve, she is LOVING every second of it.

8. plusonegal

May 23, 2010 at 6:19 AM

So sad it’s the series finale of 24. It totally is the best show on TV. Bummed another network wouldn’t pick it up…although looking forward to a possible movie that’s said to be in the works. Love me some Jack Bauer! Keep the blogs coming Steve – Love your website!

9. yeagerbomb

May 23, 2010 at 12:43 PM

So true bout the photogs. People even celebs SHIT SMELLS!!! I work in retail and sometimes celebs will come in and people are like do you know who that was? I touched the stuff she bought! WHO FRIGGING CARES. Don’t you think that you should focus on your own life and DO YOUR JOB rather then salivate all over another human being?

Anyway, Can’t wait for the Bachelorette on MOnday. Have fun

10. k15

May 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Ali is definitely loving every second of it, and I know for a fact that abc is telling her how she is supposed to act around people and the media because when I ran into her right after she was on jake’s season before it aired she was being super arrogant and snobby (compared to her being usually an over the top attention seeker), yet when I ran into her a week ago at a bar she was really trying to act all gracious and polite, which is definitely not how she normally is. Also, i felt kinda bad, she looked awful, those extensions looked like a rats nest on her.

11. gltyplsr

May 24, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Is it just me or does it look like Ali either got stung by a been, is drunk or has had collagen injections in her bottom lip? She was definitely slurring her words tonight and her bottom lip looks swollen.

12. aloha808

May 26, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Steve, I understand and acknowledge that paparazzi are a very controversial topic and therefore, I am not here to persuade anyone for or against them. I do, however, want your readers to know that in this particular case it was Ali’s PR who contacted the paparazzi to be at the salon while she was there. I work for a paparazzi agency so I know this to be true. This happens often when they (the PR) want to build someone and/or their show up.

13. amyers777

June 1, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Hi Steve-I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your site. When ever I am talking to my friends about ‘scoop’ I always say I have the best resource. Your awesome.

By the way… I do think Kasey has a hearing impairment. Its almost painful to watch because no one is talking about it but it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Lastly, I felt Craig was a big fat bully. If he was a bigger man he would of just let things be. Yes… weatherboy has a small man complex but it was not nice.

14. saram50

June 7, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Love your site Steve.

My comments on Craig big mouth. That man has issues. he is an alcoholic, bully with no understanding of personal boundaries. Grabbinb Jonathan’s clothing was out of line, no matter what his feelings about Jonathan. You don’t touch what does not belong to you.

I agree that Jonathan has Napoleon’s disease, and he is a whiner. I hate whiny men.

Justin-the-entertainment-wrestler is just pathetic on his own level. I am sure we will find out just how pathetic he really is very soon.

Keep up the good work!