Uncategorized

My Appearance on Olivia Wilder’s Show Plus a TV Announcement – 7/22/10

If you have two hours to kill sometime this weekend, have a listen to the interview I did last night with Olivia Wilder of BlogTalkRadio. We discussed pretty much everything to do with the “Bachelorette”, and even got a surprise appearance from Jeremy Anderson about an hour in to the show. Thanks to everyone who listened in and participated, good times all around, answered a lot of questions, and Olivia has made it her mission to do a national search to find me a wife. Or a date. Interesting concept that I’ll keep you updated on, but this could get tricky on how it works. I mean, I do live in Dallas. I’ve done the long distance thing before. It certainly isn’t easy. But I will keep you updated on what Olivia has in store where people who are interested can contact her. Maybe we’ll just make a game of it. Kinda like the “Bachelor” but without all the ridiculous, over-the-top dates. And cameras. And Chris Harrison butting in. But hey, when you’re 35 and single, you’re willing to try anything at this point. Here’s the link to the interview if you want to listen…

Reality Steve Joins Olivia Wilder

As for the “After the Final Rose” taping tomorrow night, I can’t guarantee I’ll have anything to report on. I might, I might not. It’s going to be a last minute deal at this point. I won’t know until tomorrow. So if you see something up tomorrow night, then you’ll know my sources came through. If not, then they didn’t. I’d say it’s 50/50 at this point. I can’t complain. They’ve given me everything else this season, so if they’re unable to tomorrow night, I think I’ll live.

So the only two TV appearances I’ve done so far were two Skype interviews, one that was on “Extra” TV last summer on the day of the Jillian and Ed finale, and one was earlier this season on “Entertainment Tonight: Canada”. Well, that’s going to change next week. Next Wednesday night on the E! channel at 10pm EST is a 1-hour special called “The Bachelor: Then and Now”. It’s going to go through all 14 seasons of the “Bachelor” covering memorable people from each season. Well, they sent a TV crew to Dallas last month and filmed me for about three hours as we went through everyone, so I would think I should get some good run in that thing. They told me the people that will be shown are the people from each season they chose to focus on, then the only outsiders were Mike Fleiss, Chris Harrison, and myself giving commentary. I’m sure I had some memorable things to say about past characters. But at this point, honestly, I couldn’t remember one thing I said. So set your DVR’s: Wednesday night, July 28th, 10pm EST, the E! channel’s “The Bachelor: Then and Now”. And lets hope they used me for more than ten seconds.

1. lizalyn

July 22, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Steve, I listened to the show tonight and Olivia came across as a complete flake, but your thoughts were great. Thanks for being patient and spending time answering all the questions (good and bad) that were brought up.

2. Lucetto

July 22, 2010 at 9:26 PM

What an interesting show !!! Its 1h30 am, dont want to go to bed, cause I dont want to miss anything !!! Very interesting Steve, I sure hope you find someone special on the show Olivia wants to do for you !!!! Just a comment about what you said : you have to date for 1 year or 1 year 1/2 before you get engaged, just so you know, my husband propose to me after 6 months, and we got married 16 months later, you will see, when you find the ONE, time doesnt matter !!!
    Just a tought about Aly, how do you know she wont pull off the same stunt Jason pulled on the after the final rose show??? Couldnt she say, oh I made a mistake and Chris or Roberto I would like to keep on dating you to see where it will lead us ??? Just a tought !!!

3. mja

July 23, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Steve, about “The Bachelor: Then and Now” show next week… sounds interesting. It’s impressive that you remembered something to say about all 14 seasons!

4. Garnet

July 23, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Sorry I missed the show. I have some questions, and if they’re a repeat, I appologize. First, why do these people tell the producers EVERYTHING? I know at least SOME of them have seen the show and heard of the “less than stellar” things the producers do to get the desired comments/reactions. Can’t they hold anything back or are they all just too immature? For instance, why couldn’t Frank have not said anything about Nicole, waited until he was with Ali, and said, “You know Ali, I do love and care about you, but something’s holding me back. I think I still have feelings for my ex-girlfriend, Nicole, and it’s not fair to you for me to stay in this situation since I do have those feelings. So, I’m going to leave now.” What could the producers do? The cat’s already out of the bag?

Second question: Why do people say things they obviously don’t mean? For instance, “I can feel that my future husband is here!” Uh, a couple of weeks later you don’t, so why even say that? Why not, “I’m HOPING…blah, blah, blah?”

Third question: It’s really only been a few months that these couples have been dating, so why don’t more of them go with, the “let’s continue to date and see what happens” instead of either proposing or going with neither person? It’s a fair alternative, people!!!

Finally, a statement: Why are they even bothering with the MTL or WTA episodes anymore? It use to be that the bachelor/ette would actually come out and talk to the former contestents. It was closure for many of them and “real” interaction. Now, it’s all separate, pretaped, with tons of commercials and clips, so there’s actually very little interaction. How boring. Please stop, ABC!

BTW, here’s a very interesting article on Jake/Vienna, that seems to be right on target with their problems as a couple: http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/television/2471022,CST-FTR-truth07.article

5. moonshadow87

July 23, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Just listened to the interview….very informative. I love reading your blog that I discovered during the Jason/Molly/Melissa season. I’ve told all of my family about your blog and we all read it every week and discuss your blog. My mom has even told all of her co-workers about your blog.

I wonder how many more seasons the bachelor franchise can continue for after all of the fake drama.

Thanks for all of your spoilers…Just a treat to read!

6. Nell

July 23, 2010 at 1:30 PM

wow steve you’re famous now!!! ;o)

7. dr8834

July 23, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Come on now Steve. We are living in different times. A woman’s biological clock doesn’t start ticking till she’s 40!

8. IrishCdnDebs

July 23, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Steve ~ I think you can have shorter engagements and courtships than what you quoted last night. When you’ve dated enough people (as you say you have) and finally meet the right one, you know it’s right as you have had lots of experience to compare to.

You could always marry a single Mom and have instant family plus also some kids together. I married a widower with 3 kids after knowing him 5 months. We had a baby in the first year and have been married now almost 21 years.

Cheers 😉

9. panthergirl

July 23, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Check out the new issue of Entertainment Weekly. There’s a Q&A with Chris Harrison where someone asked why they are giving away so much in the previews this season. He says he doesn’t like it, but that there are “spoilers out there” so they are being much more relaxed about what they show. I laughed when I read it! He practically gave you a shout-out! Thanks for the tip about the show next Wednesday…

10. bunny2

July 24, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Rs
    what’s wrong with you? Really? You’re soliciting dates? Wow! If you’re 35 and can’t find someone on your own, you better take a look in the mirror. You suppose it’s the way you make fun of everyone? I like a quick wit but man, you cut to the bone sometimes….jsng, rs

11. chelly-chan

July 24, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Steve is arrogant and not open minded. His “fame” has gone to
    his head. I have tried to give him helpful advice on attracting and keeping women but he does not listen. I am over 45 & have been married over 23 years so I know a few things he doesn’t but
    he won’t even consider what I have to say. He gets mad.

12. chelly-chan

July 24, 2010 at 5:04 PM

I have told Steve he can have a 6-9 month engagement if he is over age 30. But he won’t listen to me.

Yes Ali is a Doris Day type ! But as someone says: ” I question her judgement for falling for a nerdy, insecure, neurotic guy like Frank! Here she has two quality guys in Roberto and Chris, and she breaks down sobbing because pathetic Frank wants to run back to his safety net, otherwise known as Nicole? Come on! She has a lot of growing up to do!”

AMEN!

I emailed Steve and told him if you are over age 30 and have had some dating experiences, there is no reason for an 18 month long engagement! CHRIST!!
    THAT IS TOO LONG UNLESS YOU ARE 22-23-24-25 YEARS OF AGE! It makes sense for 20-somethings to have long engagements but if you are over age 30, you should know
    yourself somewhat better than a 20-something.
    6-9 months is enough time –IF you spend 2-3 evenings or days together per week. A person’s true self begins emerging after 3 months. And you can then begin to determine if you
    can accept the faults of your partner and she can make the same determination about YOU !
    Steve–like every man– is not perfect so he does not deserve a ‘perfect’ woman. HELL, there are no “perfect” women. OR men! Get hip to reality Steve! . We are all flawed and the object of marriage is not to find a “perfect” person — it is to become a more loving person YOURSELF.

13. greedygrace

July 24, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I would definitely date you if I wasn’t already married. You’re hysterical, and you have the inside scoop on my secret guilty pleasure! I’ve been going through my single friends, trying to decide if any of them are worthy of you— any chance you’re willing to move to Cali?

14. Caroll

July 25, 2010 at 6:58 AM

If you check out:

it seems that Ty Brown got a boost to his career from being seen singing a song he composed while on The Bachelorette program.

In my opinion Wes Hayden is a much better singer and song writer, but I haven’t heard the same viewer reactions to him. Maybe because he was portrayed as the evil one with a girlfriend back home. Or maybe news about reactions to Wes’s talent hasn’t been noted on AOL as the above link to Ty has.

15. MindyM

July 25, 2010 at 1:41 PM

I listened to a little more than an hour and a half of this interview, before I had to leave for an appointment. I was a bit amused by Steve’s criteria for dating, engagement and marriage. I don’t quite understand why there has to be any set time period for dating or engagement. Knowing someone longer does not necessarily guarantee a happy marriage.

I am not sure that Steve really wants to settle down. He has the age range picked out for his one and only, the time frame, wants kids, but it’s all too detailed and thought out for me. Love isn’t like that. When you find it, when you know it’s for real, you don’t think about the amount of time you have to date before it’s appropriate to get engaged. You don’t wonder if the woman is the right age, how long she has to have children. It’s not that cold and clinical.

Steve, you’re just not ready! When you are, all these qualifications will go right out the window!

16. rebalrouser

July 25, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Yo wise ass…….you who knows all and sees all……guess what you’re wrong about more than you even know. We’ll start with you saying there’s no rose ceremony in Tahiti……UM……….Yes there was……….I can’t wait to stand by and watch you choke on the crow that some of us are going to volunteer to shove down your throat raw. You are nothing more than a big mouthed blow hard who thinks he’s better than everyone else. Just know that when the supposed mighty fall they usually fall big and it will be grand entertainment to those of us who have put up with bullshit from you. Why don’t you grow up and get a real job….be the adult you are chronologically and stop following “reality” shows. You have nothing good to say about anyone or anything anyway….so why do you bother so much. Are you that lonely of a little that you have to sit and watch these shows and write your crap…..too bad you don’t have a real life and even sadder a real woman in it. Sad, sad little lonely man….cannot wait to see you lose your self appointed crown.

17. aligerman

July 25, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Oh my God, Steve, I don’t know how you conversed with this woman for 2 hours. She was so obnoxious! And her accent makes her sound like hangs with Kirk’s dad in his basement!

However, you were awesome and hilarious as always.

18. aligerman

July 25, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Oh, and if you even read these comments anyways, just ignore what those few losers above said. You rock and the majority of us LOVE reading your stuff!!

19. juliejulie

July 25, 2010 at 11:49 PM

i like your blog and spoilers, obviously.

however, you seriously need to lose that acai tip for losing weight ad. a pop up ad is really NOT COOL. you are selling out as much as the bachelor with that ad. i get that you are making $$$$ and obviously support that, but a pop up ad that crashes computer is too much. my advice to you is to lose that ad. also, you shouldn’t have to log in to leave a comment. that’s also annoying.

here is my bachelor blog:

i dont have access to spoilers, but my blog is still funny and you don’t have to log in to leave a comment.

anyway, whatever.

craig r is my favorite.

also, i like whatever ad service you signed up for where it’s personalized to you. now, i see zappos ads for purses every time i go on here and i love it, bc it’s already picked out purses i’d love, so i get to click on those, along with reading all the spoilers, etc…

lose the pop up acai ad, however. it’s not worth it. you will ruin your blog w/ too many ads.

yours in the single life,
    juliejulie

20. malu42

July 26, 2010 at 8:31 AM

I just tried to listen to the link posted above. How long do I have to listen to the annoying chatter before you come on?

Also, agree with the few others that stated that Olivia was a total flake and the pop-up??? And Acai berry of all things????

Come on Steve?! Don’t worry, you’re still my fave part of the Bachelor/Bachelorette.

21. mcb4272

July 26, 2010 at 2:33 PM

@Chelly-Chan: What a ray of sunshine you are. Good God! What the hell happened to the old adage “to each his own”?

Who gives a flying frig if Steve doesn’t take your relationship advice?!

Unless I missed something, I don’t recall him petitioning his readers for dating help. Sure, maybe a dash of self-deprecating humor sprinkled here and there regarding his single status – but that doesn’t translate into anything more than just that… HUMOR.

It’s great that you’ve ‘lived & learned’ and garnered some wisdom along the way…but where’s the wisdom in throwing a temper tantrum and bashing someone for not taking your (*unsolicited*) advice??

22. panthergirl

July 26, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Just watched 20/20 “Behind the Rose” and I cannot believe (or maybe I can) what a sleaze bag Mike Fleiss is!! But to his credit he didn’t even try to pretend the show is real. And the part about Bob Guiney having sex with “five and a half” women during his season was pretty hilarious.

Not sure if parts of the show have aired before (the meetup between Deanna and Brad?) because I kept thinking I had seen it already, but some parts were clearly new (Ali picking out clothes) and of course they managed to pimp The Bachelor Pad at the end.

Looking forward to the E! show Wednesday night.

23. Sunnyside422

July 27, 2010 at 8:06 AM

I too watched Behind the Rose (some parts were repeats) and had to cringe when Fleiss was on screen! My God get some lip balm you cracked lipped, craggy tooth beast! I guess with Heidi as his sister, sleeze must run in their family! He turns my stomach. His blatant attempts to create havoc in each show seems to be the norm. Finding love or even affection is not the object of these shows! And some folks actually believe it’s all real! Sad.

As for Steve and his blog and ideas…go for it anyway you want! You have the forum and the fans and anyone who dislikes him should not feel the need to access the blog at all. You are good for a laugh Steve and express many of my thoughts and feelings but in a much snarkier and hilarious way!

24. Lucetto

July 27, 2010 at 9:54 AM

panthergirl, yes the meeting with Deanna and Brad was a repeat, they added new stuff but alot was the same !!!!!
    Still waiting for Steves comment about last night’s man tell all, or did he already do it and I dont remember ????

25. Jenster

July 28, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I have to say I like Ali as a person. It’s unfortunate that she was being played and trusting. She has a hard time looking past the romantic settings and what the guys say to her that she doesn’t take the time to come back to reality and really think about what was said and concentrate of facial expressions and body movement.
    I as the viewer picked up on a lot but I guess that is because I’m on the outside looking in. Ali did admit she seems to pick the wrong guys in her past that have wronged her and it showed on the show.
    I do think it is for the best that she is single and takes the time to figure out what she really wants and love will find her when she is truly ready.
    It would be more interresting if the show wasn’t so dramatically done with all the places they go and the romantic settings. It would be nice if it was based on reality settings. Down to earth and let the guys choose what they do on the date. How can you really figure out if you are really into the guy if all the surroundings are fairytail romantic settings. How will you know how a guy truly dates in the real world if it is all decided for them. You really can’t figure out if you are truly compatible with that person.
    Example: I was a teenager and this guy wanted to take me to the movies. He showed up in a suit… that was it for me. Another guys idea of a date was taking me to a hockey game and his guy friend tagged along… again totally not the right guy for me.

It would be interresting what the guys decide would be romatic or a fun outing. It will show a lot more of their personalities and I think would be quite entertaining.

Steve… good luck on your online dating. Just becareful as some may be playing you and string you a long.

26. alexr

July 28, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Hey Steve – looks like your 15 mins are up!!! The bachelor lasted a hell of a lot longer than you!

27. tl

July 30, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Doesn’t anyone else see that Ali is on this show only for self-promotion as well. She was mean and catty on The Bachelor, I couldn’t stand her, she was awful. She clearly left the show as she did with the hope (or maybe promise from the show) that she would be the next bachelorette. My husband predicted the night she left the Bachelor that she must be the new Bachelorette. I fully expected that she would choose no one from the beginning. She might have accidentally developed feelings for Frank along the way, but she is as out for self-promotion as The Wrestler.