Reader Emails

Reaction to the Brad/Laurel Story & More “Reader Emails”

For episode-by-episode spoilers of Brad’s season, click on the link above that says “Bachelor Brad Spoilers”. It has a breakdown of every date, rose, and elimination, all the way down to Brad’s final choice. However, there will be spoilers talked about throughout the course of this column. You’ve been warned.

The Brad/Laurel “US Weekly” story is obviously a huge topic. In my opinion, it attacks the credibility of the show because it paints their lead character, the guy they built the whole season around, as a phony. However, with that said, I really don’t feel like writing six pages on this like I could. I’ve already gotten tired head from the story, and it’s been out two days. There is so much more to the story, and so many more texts and emails out there that I could bring to the forefront if I wanted to, but the more I talk about it, the more questions people have, the more crazy the story gets, and at this point, I think I’d just rather be done with it. I’ll summarize my feelings in a few short paragraphs and we’ll just move on from it. I could seriously drag this thing out another month with all the other stuff I’m aware of, but I just don’t want to. Don’t feel like fanning the flames. Laurel told her story to US, she finally got some closure after an 8 year, tumultuous, volatile relationship with the guy, and it was her decision to do that. Whether I like it, or you like it, she did it and that’s the way she chose to deal with it to put and end to everything between her and Brad.

I think a lot of people missed the boat on what Laurel was trying to get across in the article. Don’t know why people are focusing so much on these “proposals”. At no point in the article does Laurel say, “He got down on one knee, with a ring, after asking my father for permission, numerous times and proposed to me.” Yet, that’s all people seem to keep focusing on. That article wasn’t about proposals, it was Laurel being asked by US, “Hey, you know Brad Womack better than anyone, do you think he’s a changed man?” And her answer was, “No, and here’s the proof.” Of course she didn’t think “Marry me”, “I’ve swear on my mom’s life I’m gonna marry you”, through texts messages were actually proposals. Who thinks that? The whole point of the article was her to say that the guy they’ve built the show around, the guy who says he’s a “changed man”, who’s “there for the right reasons”, and who’s had “intense therapy”, is not the man that she knows. The guy was obsessively sending her texts and emails up until a couple weeks before leaving for a show, and we’re expected to believe six weeks later he’s serious about being engaged? Really?

The entire season has been built around “Has Brad changed?” Even had every woman who stepped out of the limo on the first night asking the same questions. Laurel told her story to say “You don’t know the guy you’re seeing on TV. I think I know him better than he probably even knows himself considering I dated him on and off for 8 years. This is who he really is, and here’s the proof to show it.” If Laurel tells US, “Yeah, Brad’s changed and I don’t believe any of this”, but doesn’t provide any emails and texts, then who believes her? No one. She has no proof. She doesn’t want him back, she doesn’t want to break up his engagement, all she was doing was answering US’ question that they asked her and backed it up with proof. There’s plenty of stuff that she has that US didn’t show, because obviously they have space constraints. There are plenty of more texts and emails, but at this point, she’s said what she wanted to say, and knows that people will doubt, but she doesn’t care. It was closure for her and she’s done with it. Read the texts. The guy was fawning all over her on Aug. 1st with texts, then the very next day in a text he’s telling her the show wants him back and a lot of money will be involved, yet after that, he’s still continuously telling her he loves her and wants to be married to her someday. Huh? Who does that? This guy is not the changed man he and the show are portraying him to be.

We can go back and forth til we’re blue in the face on this, and I can bring Laurel on and do an interview and get deeper into everything, but at this point, I’m choosing not to, and I doubt I’ll change my mind. She wants it over, and frankly I’m done with it. Brad and Chantal are engaged, so good for them. Do I think they’ll last? Not a chance in hell. Both of them have too shady of pasts to make this work, but by all means if they do, I’m saying it right now, I will purchase the most expensive thing on their wedding registry for them. I bought Jason and Molly a gift, I’ll buy Ali and Roberto a gift if they get married, so without a doubt if Brad and Chantal prove me wrong I’ll get them something. I just don’t see it coming close to happening. The guy is not who he says he is, he’s had some SERIOUS issues in the past with Laurel that I think he’s practically trying to convince himself he’s in love with Chantal, and I don’t think he is. My opinion and I’ll stand by it til they walk down the aisle.

Few footnotes I want to put out there before moving on from this topic for good:

-Laurel once dating Wes has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not her story should be believed. Laurel knew and dated Brad long before Brad ever appeared on the show the first time. Laurel knew and dated Wes long before he ever went on Jillian’s season. How does her once dating two guys BEFORE they ever appeared on television mean she’s not credible? Don’t really understand that argument. It’s purely coincidental she dated two guys that ended up on this show. How is it her fault and make her less believable that that’s what they chose to do?

-Lets be honest, obviously US Weekly isn’t running an 8 page cover story with an exclusive interview from Brad Womack’s ex-girlfriend including emails and text messages for free. But Brad is getting paid 5 to 10 times more money for doing the “Bachelor” than anyone’s getting paid to talk to a magazine, yet because she made money off the article, Laurel isn’t credible, but Brad is? Seems like a double standard to me. Why are we supposed to believe everything Brad says when he’s being paid to be on the show, which is something that came straight out of his mouth/fingers when he texted it to Laurel? Just because you get paid to tell a story doesn’t mean it’s not true.

-Laurel could’ve easily gotten a cash grab and her “15 minutes” by doing an exclusive interview after Brad’s first season when it was known he was contacting her DURING filming, and even said to her after the season the reason he didn’t pick Jenni and DeAnna was because he wanted to be with her. Laurel also could’ve gotten a cash grab and attention after Jillians season when she was falsely accused of dating Wes during the time he was on the show, which led to death threats, her work being vandalized, and her car being keyed. Why not capitalize with money and an exclusive interview then? All she did was give a couple quotes to a magazine saying her and Wes weren’t dating when he was on the show. I believe if she was completely out for money and fame, this would be the third interview she would’ve given, not the first.

Here are the transcribed text messages US Weekly chose to print in the article for those that haven’t read it yet (“Roo” is Brad’s pet name for Laurel, short for “kangaroo”. Also makes me want to dry heave):

Aug. 1st, 2010 8:15pm
Since you’re not here I’m headed home. Gonna go to sleep. Wish you were here but since you’re not I’m going to bed. I love u roo. You’re my sweet babe. goodnight.

(she replies back with a smile)

Laurel um serious about this. Please marry me? Swear on my mom’s life I told two diff people I was marrying u tonight. Please, ok?

Aug. 2nd, 2010 12:33pm
Please don’t say a single word about this (especially to Wes). The executive producers from the Bachelor just called. They want me to do the show again. This season. Haven’t discussed $ but it’d be a lot…

Aug. 2nd, 2010 1:06pm
Thinking about u. Looking forward to hearing your voice. Please call me again when u get in town. I miss u

Aug. 2nd, 2010 1:51pm
I love u

Aug. 16th, 2010 9:14pm
I won’t kill u w texts but please be there for me roo. This isn’t a game, this isn’t a control issue, it’s just me getting my ass kicked. Please babe. Please just let me know you’re there…Please say hi. Rough day Laurel

Aug. 16th, 2010 11:03pm
I wish you’d just marry me. No matter how crazy we are. we’re meant. Marry me.

Roo?

So this sounds like a guy who was truly and honestly going on the show for the right reasons and had a clear head? Are you kidding me? Please. And like I said, those are just the texts US decided to print. There are plenty of others. People are gonna believe what they want to believe, and the consensus I’ve gotten on emails and Twitter has been, “This isn’t that big of deal. Happens all the time on this show.” I guess I’ll just agree to disagree with those people. Sure, it’s happened in the past with other contestants on the show (Rego, Rozlyn, Frank, Ed), but they were all CONTESTANTS, and yeah, we’ve come to expect scandal like that. I think the show takes a major credibility hit when their LEAD, the guy they’ve built the show around, the guy they’ve sold to all of America is a “changed man”, who’s gone through “intense therapy” (which by the way, any therapy Brad went through was to get Laurel back, which is quite ironic), the guy who walks the streets of Austin by himself and sits in the rain and has been a recluse for 3 years since his first seasons disaster, THAT Brad Womack, is absolutely not the guy they’re portraying him to be.

Don’t force feed me he’s a changed man when he isn’t. Don’t tell me he barely dated and has been a recluse when the guy is banging down Laurel’s door for three years trying to get her back. That’s the bottom line point I’m trying to make in all this. They’re selling us on a new a changed Brad, when he hasn’t changed in the least bit. And that’s why Laurel told her side. To tell everyone this guy you’re seeing on TV is no different as a person than he was three years ago, in her eyes, based on everything he said and did to her. Is it right or wrong of her to do? That’s for everyone else to decide I guess. I don’t have a problem with it. Some people will, some people won’t. Doesn’t really affect me. But we can debate this forever and never come to clear resolution. My opinion is Brad is not the man he’s presenting himself to be, he’s playing a role on TV show he’s been paid to be a part of, and there’s nothing more to it. The show is flat out lying and misrepresenting itself to its viewers by continuing on with this façade and backing him up, and all Laurel did was call them out on it with proof. I tend to think that’s a pretty big deal. Lets get on to the emails.

Page 1 of 612345...Last »

1. smd64

February 16, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I am a loyal reader and have been for years and yes, I hate the “I know something you don’t know” stuff, but whatever…I still like the content of the blog. I think if Steve is not going to get into what he says he knows, he shouldn’t mention it at all. It’s annoying and seems like he is trying to prove something. But it is his blog, he can do what ht wants.

2. aligerman

February 18, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Yes!! Great to see Maddy. I literally laughed out loud at her face on 6:25 in

3. Amy

February 18, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I came across this written by you in the Bachelor Brad #11 archives (go figure lol):

And in Brad’s case, I have no doubt he’s dated some amazing women. He seems like one that would stay in touch with his ex’s. Maybe even call her on occasion. Even when he’s filming the show. You know, just to tell her he’s bored or something and wants her back. Hey, just a guess

4. MightyMel

February 22, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Anytime someone sells someone to the press, no matter what their “reason” is, I can’t help but be skeptical. To me, it seems like she not only wanted some cash, but also wanted to be known. Sooo, she sold him out. I can understand doing that when someone else has slandered your name and you want to set the record straight but no one knew about her, which is exactly why she sold the story. Now scores of people know of her AND she has some extra cash. Sounds win/win for her. Here’s the thing with Brad and every man/woman who has been approached to do the show…they aren’t sitting around innocently polishing their halos when all of the sudden an ABC producer pops out of no where and offers them a contract to do the show. They then don’t jump up and down at their sheer luck of opportunity in finding love without a care about the contract/money. IT’S A SHOW. Of course these things are discussed and of course they care about them. They aren’t thanking their lucky stars for just a chance at finding love. They are thanking their lucky stars at a chance at finding love PLUS great publicity, PLUS money, PLUS maybe becoming semi-famous. If any of them say all they cared about was finding love, then that’s a load of bull. So when Brad was contacted about the show, its only natural he’d mention the money part to someone he had been close to. And if he and Laurel were off and on, maybe this was the added push they needed to either be together or not. He says he’s a changed man, not a saintly knight. He never said he was perfect or that he happened to be polishing his brand new halo when the show’s producer’s fell out of the sky and wouldn’t he be like ANYONE ELSE if he had a bit of baggage with him at the time? So he had an on and off connection with someone at the time the show’s producers contacted him. I wouldn’t be surprised if that wasn’t the case for most of the Bachelor/Bachelorettes, at least to some extent. The difference between Brad and Laurel is this, Brad is making more money being the star of this season’s Bachelor than Laurel did selling him out, but HE never sold HER out and since no one is perfect, I’m sure she wouldn’t appreciate him showing some of HER texts. There are two sides to every story.

5. glamourcat

February 22, 2011 at 7:54 AM

I think Laurel is getting a bad wrap for spilling her story for money! HELL I’d sell my Ex out for free if he dumped me for a reality tv wife with big ta ta’s! Cut her some slack!! Her biggest mistake was not seeing through Fake Jake’s promises of marriage to her!!!

6. MightyMel

February 23, 2011 at 10:45 AM

You can’t control the crappy things others do to you, but you CAN control your own behavior. You can be classy or you can be vengeful. Does she feel avenged? Probably not. What she probably feels is a little richer. But hey, if being a vengeful person is what someone wants to be, then so be it. But a bad wrap may be the consequence.