Reader Emails

A Video Blog Including an Appearance from Maddie and More “Reader Emails”

For episode-by-episode spoilers of Brad’s season, click on the link above that says “Bachelor Brad Spoilers” (it’s like, 1″ inch above this sentence). It has a breakdown of every date, rose, and elimination, all the way down to Brad’s final choice. However, there will be spoilers talked about throughout the course of this column. You’ve been warned.

Yes, after a two year hiatus, I decided to bring back the video blog. No, don’t worry. This isn’t three separate 10 minute videos breaking down the Jason/Molly/Melissa scandal. I believe I learned by lesson from that one in that I just can’t possibly imagine people want to listen to me talk for 30 minutes. Well, you’re in luck. This is only one video and I managed to somehow ramble on and keep it under 9 minutes. Plus, as an added bonus so you don’t have to stare at my ugly mug the whole time, I made sure Maddie got some camera time, since many of you have been asking what she’s up to. Pretty much nothing, but thanks for asking. As you can tell when you watch, she’s thoroughly entertained by all of this. Just once I’d like to read her thoughts and find out what the hell she thinks of me for covering this show as much as I do. On second thought, no I don’t.

Check out the video where I give an update on some “Bachelor” news then bring Maddie in for the first “Reader Email”. And you wonder why I don’t do videos more? I HATE watching myself on camera. Look, I know I’m a dork. I know I have very little hair on my head. I know I ramble and talk fast. Nothing I haven’t heard for years. I’ve heard it all. If you can’t make fun of yourself, then who can you make fun of? But I’ll be damned if Maddie doesn’t get her well deserved camera time. I wanted to maybe add this feature on Friday’s to change it up a bit. We’ll see. Enjoy this brilliance:

Here are the two links I was referring to in the video:

The event tomorrow night in Fresno, CA is being put on by Kasey Kahl’s non-profit organization, “Guard and Protect Hearts, Inc”. Nine other former contestants will be there putting on a fashion show. The link below has all the details about the event. If you can’t make it, feel free to donate. I did.

Kasey Kahl – Guard and Protect Hearts, Inc.

Gotta love Michelle’s answers with the media this week. Couldn’t possibly be any more different than what we’ve seen for the first seven episodes on the show. But nothing that we shouldn’t have expected. Here’s the link:

Michelle Money Speaks With the Media

These are the remaining “Reader Emails” of the week. I would’ve done more on camera, but something tells me Maddie might’ve urinated on me out of boredom. Lets just say not a lot of hard hitting, in depth questions this week. Mostly about pregnancies, boobs, and money being exchanged. Hey you know me, I can talk about boobs til I’m blue in the face. However, I’m still amazed every week by the things people seem to be curious about. I had no idea people cared so much about the most insignificant things about this show. Baffling. Whatever the case, here we go:

I’m sure the blog has to take longer than we would think. You have to watch the shows, write your notes, write your blog, talk to past guests, radio appearances, your own dating contest (had to put that in), oh yeah, and you have to get your spoilers! I’m sure you here from everyone in the U.S. that thinks they might have a little bit of info for you. I have no idea what your real job is but I hope it’s part time. The question is do you respond to all of your emails and silly questions like my own and the ones we see on your blog? That to me, seems like it would take up every single minute of spare time that you have. I guess whether or not I get a response will answer my question. You do a fantastic job at keeping us hopeless romantic’s feet on the ground.

Comment: Yes, I do have a full time job, but that job allows me to work from home. I’m pretty much in front of a computer all day. Not to mention my blackberry is on me pretty much all day long as well. So yeah, I definitely see every email anyone ever sends to me. I try to respond to everyone, but obviously that’s impossible sometimes when I get overloaded with stuff. I just figure if someone’s gonna take the time out to email me, the least I can do is get back to them, even if it’s a short brief answer. I’d say I return about 90% of the emails that are sent to me. But some days are tougher than others. All depends really. Sometimes if I read an email over my blackberry and don’t respond right away, then the chances of me responding when I get back to my computer are probably slim. But no, it doesn’t take up every single minute of my spare time since, well, my job allows me to have plenty of spare time.
__________________________________________________________________

About how many people do you think apply to be on the bachelor/ette every season? Are the video’s we see introducing some of the women at the beginning ones that they submitted to get on the show, or were they shot once they were picked? Thanks so much and keep up the kick-ass work!

Comment: I have no idea on the amount of people who apply every season. It’s kinda like “Survivor” though. They keep people on file though and they are not against calling you later on if you applied for one season but didn’t make it. Don’t know how often it happens, but it does happen.

The videos at the beginning of the show are done after they’ve already been cast on the show. I think in the past they have shown clips of someone’s audition tape (I want to say we saw some of Ali’s), but I can’t remember.
__________________________________________________________________

Have there ever been any African American or Asian contestants on the show? Does it bother you when people say they love your ”sophomoric humor,” because you know they probably only say that because it’s at the top of your blog and they don’t have any idea what it means?

Comment: Yes, there has. About three in 21 seasons. That’s a good ratio right? This show isn’t winning any awards for diversity amongst its cast, that’s for sure. But it is what it is. Look across the landscape of network television. Very few minorities in lead roles anywhere, so, all the “Bachelor/ette” franchise is doing is following the norm. I highly doubt we are going to see an African American “Bachelor” or “Bachelorette”. I just don’t see it happening. One, because they love casting white people on this show. And two, since for six seasons now we’ve gotten the lead coming from the previous season, well, if there aren’t any minorities on that season, kinda hard for a minority to become the lead the next season. That’s just common sense.

Yeah, I do find that kinda funny. The headline of my website says “My sarcastic, slanted, sophomoric, and skewed view on the world of reality television”. What exactly are people expecting when they come to the site, something OTHER than that? For eight years, I’ve been writing the same way. I make fun of everyone and everything involved with this show. No one is spared. You go on a reality show, you open yourself up to be made fun of in this day and age. And that’s what I do. If these people take it personally, that’s on them. Nothing on this site should really be taken personal. I’m an ass clown who likes to make fun of this stupid show and its contestants. I think there’s a reason I’m able to have a relationship with quite a few past contestants. They get it. They get the humor. They get that it’s fun and games. If not, they’d never speak to me. So if the people I’m actually making fun of have no problem with it, why should people who just sit at home and watch have a problem? That boggles my mind.
__________________________________________________________________

1. photokissa

February 18, 2011 at 8:40 AM

I like the video idea…I think you’re much more likeable “in person”…I suppose that’s a backhanded compliment. But I really did find you likeable in your video. Please take that how I meant it:)

2. Dianne

February 18, 2011 at 8:40 AM

OMG!! I love Maggie! What a sweet girl..and I love the way she just would not look into that cam..adorable! So glad she’s doing well..she looks wonderfully content.

3. chrissyt42

February 18, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Love your site and very easy to navigate. I refresh your site every Tuesday and Friday morning until the new blog shows up because I can’t wait to see what you write. But that is only my opinion.

You never mentioned what the poll results were. Are you going to do the interview with Laurel?

Keep up the good work.

4. OleMemReb

February 18, 2011 at 8:56 AM

But Steeeeve, who did Brad chews??? Spewed coffee on that one. S/he must be from Anguilla too.

5. Dianne

February 18, 2011 at 9:42 AM

“Hey Steve

Do you think there will ever be a gay version of a “Bachelor” or “Bachelorette”? It is impossible to watch current “soap opera” without few beers and your column, they should spice things up. This was actually suggestion from my husband-we may switch for harder liquor.”
    ———————–
    Wow..looks like this one was either into the “harder liquor” when they posted this question, or was schooled in Anguilla, lol!

6. aligerman

February 18, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Good to see Maddie! I love her face at 6:25 in. Hilarious!

7. Nobody

February 18, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Did anyone else who took the time to read Michelle’s interview have the feeling that her answers were loaded with lies?

She didn’t go on the show to fame-whore herself (promote her acting / modelling career)?

Riiiiight. And I will be fucking Meghan Fox tonight and Scarlett Johansson on Saturday. I can also give John Holmes some strong competition and Chantal is a size 2.

8. mommyof2

February 18, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Steve- Here’s something you can post for your reader’s who are having trouble finding the spoilers.

4 Easy Steps in Navigating Reality Steve’s Website to reach Bachelor Brad Spoilers (for Dummies):

Step 1: Click on “Bachelor Brad Spoilers” at the top of the site’s webpage.
    Step 2: (Yes, it is dated December 8th) Read all the way until you reach the first “Click here to read More…” (in a very large, blue font) and click on it.
    Step 3: Read all the way until you reach the part that shows the page numbers and “View All…” (also in a large, blue font) and click on it.
    Step 4: Read all the way until you reach the bottom of the page. At that point, you will have read each numbered episode’s rose ceremony results (with the women’s names in bold, black font), including the final 2 women’s names. Steve tells you who Brad chooses just below these bold, black final 2 women’s names.

9. amylynn

February 18, 2011 at 11:28 AM

chrissyt42: he said that the poll is roughly 70/30 leaning on the side of YES, so he said unless something strange happens which keeps him from being able to do so, he WILL be doing the interview. He mentioned that in his video blog.

Did anyone take a look at the SI pictures of Chantel, Ashley & Michelle? Ummm. . . poor Ashley. The 15th picture of her makes her body look like a boys. I would be upset that they posted that picture if it was me! She looks completely flat! And that was some great editing with all of Chantel’s pictures – there was only 1 out of 22 that I could see a lil tiny bit of fat roll on her side. Other than that, she has a pretty womanly body, which looks MUCH different than what we saw on T.V. And so I guess after shooting all the pictures with Michelle molesting Brad, she had to just shoot by herself.

Anyway, Steve, after reading the same stupid emails every week and people constantly complaining about navigating through your site, I just really don’t understand how a lot of these people are able to live life. I mean how are they able to get a job, keep a job, get a drivers license, drive, get pregnant, have children, raise their children, just do normal every day things? I don’t get it. Unless they are sitting at a senior center, perhaps sitting through a “learn how to use a computer” class or something, they have no excuse. I mean my nephew (who is now 4) was able to navigate through stuff on his own at age 2 on his IPodTouch and he couldn’t even read!

AGAIN, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK & I CAN’T WAIT ‘TIL TUESDAYS COLUMN!
    amylynn

10. chrissyt42

February 18, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Thanks AmyLynn. I am not able to watch the video part of the blog at work as it blocks that. I was planning on watching tonight on my home computer.

Steve, Can’t wait for all the dirt from Laurel. have a great weekend.

11. spins22

February 18, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Ok I’m getting annoyed with people not knowing how to navigate this site. I’m not a computer whiz but c’mon people! It’s like shopping for clothes online, e.g. you can view 20 dresses per page or view all and scroll down and see EVERY SINGLE DRESS AVAILABLE!!!!!!! CLICK VIEW ALL and take your sweet ass time reading ALL of the spoilers! I am really starting to wonder if people are emailing steve this as a joke.

12. justa_viewer

February 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM

and you can finally just engage in the throws of passion with your woman

“Throws”? Gosh, Steve, how does that work? Like, you throw her across the room or something? Or you throw each other around until you both collapse in a sweaty heap on the floor?

Heh, that was almost as good as “Who did Brad chews?”

13. RainyNiteNTx

February 18, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Yay Maddie!! So good to see her again. Really enjoyed the video.

14. mommyof2

February 18, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Out of all stupid e-mails, the comment “Who did Brad chews?” was by far the best. I mean, really? Really? My 4 steps to the spoilers is probably too difficult for some of these people to understand, but maybe it’ll enlighten a few! I like spins22 comparison. I’m betting these people sending you the “how do you get to the spoilers” questions don’t shop online, however, so that analogy probably won’t help either. Oh, well!

15. finerthings

February 18, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Ha! JustaViewer. I had the same thought.

16. Steffie

February 18, 2011 at 6:46 PM

I could be wrong, but I am 99% positive that Andy told, at least, two girls he loved them on the overnight date. If it wasn’t him, it was Jake, but I remember it because it was the first time I had ever heard anyone say it before the final rose.
    ….not that it really matters…..LOL!

17. Steffie

February 18, 2011 at 6:49 PM

BTW….did anyone see the Atlantic Virgin commercial yet? If you youtube Virgin Mobile Commercial – Extended Tree Version you will die! The guys name is Bard and his stalker GF looks pretty darn close to Michelle!!! I wonder if she could sue??

18. Steffers2222

February 18, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Funny that Michelle kept referring to things that were NOT aired on the Bachelor…I thought you didn’t watch the show Michelle????

19. jennstinn

February 18, 2011 at 10:53 PM

@Steffers Ha, I was thinking the same thing! I mean, I believe a lot of what she said just because the girls who have left so far have all said that Michelle was nice and well-liked. But, when she was talking about how they didn’t show this, or that was inaccurate, I was thinking…there’s no way your friends were able to describe the episodes to you in that much detail! And who WOULDN’T watch themselves on tv to see how it turns out? Not buying it

20. traversingthetwincities

February 19, 2011 at 8:00 AM

Steffie is right. Andy Baldwin told both Bevin & Tessa that he loved them on their final dates in Hawaii.

21. bebe

February 19, 2011 at 5:16 PM

re: the comment about what if someone’s parents don’t like the bachelor/ette’s choice? remember vienna and jake? jake’s mom and sister-in-laws couldn’t STAND vienna at first. because she is white FL trash…but still, it was obvious to everyone that they didn’t like her.

22. bebe

February 19, 2011 at 5:18 PM

i think dianne and mommyof2 are tied for the most annoying commenters on this site.

23. nancy 1794

February 19, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Jesus h Christ – shame on them. They are continually so negative and so annoying.

Dianne is also confrontational & almost all the time. Can’t people express an OPINION? SHE sure does express HER opinions all the time.
    Fat-ass Dianne said I needed to have a doctor’s degree to state what I observe and feel on this forum.
    Who made HER the queen in charge of these comments?

24. bebe

February 19, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Dianne has more time on her hands than the rest of us. The rest of us who have jobs, lives, spouses, children, friends, etc. Something tells me Dianne is divorced, over-weight, middle-aged, defintely white, and spends most of her time with dogs and cats, so this forum is her only real human interaction. Sorry Dianne I hope none of that is true for your sake, but your comments are getting more and more annoying each week and it’s not just me that thinks that anymore…But I’m sure mommyof2 will come to your defense in no time. :)

25. Ellieanne

February 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM

I think of all the girls shown this season, Maddie is by far the classiest, most refined, intelligent of them all. Her obvious indifference to the camera shows she’s not in this for the fame or notoriety, and her seeming disdain with regard to all the gossip and innuendo shows she is a true lady. Steve, you’re very lucky to have such an incredible, loyal, devoted girl in your life! The Bachelorettes could really learn something from watching how Maddie conducts herself. 😉

26. kc

February 20, 2011 at 5:21 AM

maddie!!! ?

hmmm… nancy 1794 especially, but also bebe .. i don’t find either dianne or mommyof2 “annoying” or particularily “negative”.. nor do they “spew hate on this forum” .. but clearly you are.. & do…
    really ugly stuff from you.

27. kc

February 20, 2011 at 5:24 AM

(steve – that “?” up there by “maddie!” was really a big ol’ heart .. but it didn’t print.. 😉

28. jessica1

February 20, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Lets get this straight:

nancy 1794 Says:

“Hey bebe —I AGREE–Mommy & Dianne sound like two old, fat, ugly & bored housewives with nothing to do but spew hate on this forum. Jesus h Christ – shame on them.”

Whaaatt?? Didn’t your internal meter notice the irony, the sheer hypocrisy of accusing someone of spewing hate while you…….spew hate? And throwing the big JC in there while you’re at it, for good measure.

And then bebe Says:

“defintely white, and spends most of her time with dogs and cats”.

Double whaaat?? She’s white? You got her there! Man, a white woman who was quick to jump on some racists that wandered onto this site a few weeks ago and set their backwards views running. Boy – she’s a mess. Geez. And didn’t you read; she rescued animals in need – that takes care and concern.

But then you saved the best for last by saying:

“but your comments are getting more and more annoying each week and it’s not just me that thinks that anymore…

Classic mob mentality. Nice. If you two want to be the new bullies on this site, feel free. You’ll quickly be sitting in a corner, by yourselves playing the “you’re pretty, no you’re prettier” game, in an echo chamber.

Maybe Dianne got up in your grill a few times and you didn’t like it – stand up for yourself, tell her and let her decide if she should edit her commentary. But to denigrate yourself and all women by devolving into “she’s fat, she’s lonely” — it’s behavior like that that keeps women behind in our world.

29. lemon-lime

February 21, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I just don’t understand why anybody would have trouble navigating this site. I can find my way around this blog w/ a little 2×2 inch screen on a blackberry.

I’m looking forward to the cheese fest tonight. The bachelor/ette is my weekly break from the rigors of work & school.

30. mommyof2

February 21, 2011 at 2:36 PM

nancy 1974 and bebe-
    What is wrong w/ you 2? I feel sorry for you two, really. As far as spewing hate, that’s just preposterous! The only time I’ve been combative towards anyone on this comment board was when I was DEFENDING an innocent child who was called “snot-nosed” by someone else. If you think my “4 Steps to Navigating Steve’s Site” was negative, well it wasn’t meant to be. It was suppose to be a sarcastic/humorous reference to Steve’s mentioning of people having trouble finding the spoilers on his site. But, either you don’t have a sense of humor or you just didn’t get it. As far as being old, fat, and ugly… wow. I taught English to middle school kids with more maturity than you two. Now that I’m a mom, I’m at home raising my children when I’m not painting or writing (yes, I work from home and I’m a full-time mom). I don’t think I’m old in that I’m probably younger than nancy (I’m guessing the 1974 moniker is her year of birth), I’m not ugly, and I’m still a size 0 even after I’ve had 2 children, so I don’t think that I’m fat, although it really shouldn’t matter. I just figured I’d let you know you are wrong on ALL accounts. I’m betting you’re wrong about Dianne on all accounts, too. I defend her and she defends me b/c we obviously share some of the same values and being someone who cares about people, I call them out when they treat others wrong. It’s called standing up for what’s right. I taught my students to do the same to combat bullying. Thanks to KC and Jessica1 for doing so as well.

Now, let’s enjoy tonight’s show and all why don’t we just all get along when the new comment thread begins tomorrow? Like lemon-lime says, the Bachelor/ette is also my weekly break from the rigors of being a mom and everything else!

31. pulp

February 21, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Site Navigation is EASILY explained. You have ADS embedded in your links, Steve! Your “Bachelor Brad Spoilers” is NOT showing up in most people’s browsers because:

1. Most people use Firefox or Chrome, etc… and these embedded ads are being blocked so the link is INVISIBLE.

2. Most people use Ad-Block etc… so, again, your embedded links are INVISIBLE to us.

3. NOBODY but you embeds ad-laden important links because people’s software BLOCKS them.

4. Your site is set-u to view via Internet Explorer, nekkid. Who the hell does that anymore besides 13 year old girls?

Now what do I win for explaining this to y’all?

😀

32. manila75

February 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I am using Firefox and can still see and click on “Bachelor Brad Spoilers”. I don’t use Ad-Block though…

33. pulp

February 21, 2011 at 4:52 PM

In your case, it’s because you don’t use Ad-Block. Point is, embedded ads in IMPORTANT links are a NONO, basic web 101, sooooo 1998. 😀

34. JenJen

February 21, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Just wanted to thank you Steve for the disclaimer regarding spoilers being discussed throughout the blog. We all know this is a spoiler site, but I used to think I could skip the spoiler section and just read the recap without being spoiled. Stupid I know. Anyway, thanks for the disclaimer, I’m sure it will save a lot of people some frustration.

35. JenJen

February 21, 2011 at 5:46 PM

@pulp I use FF AND Adblock and I see the link. =/

36. JenJen

February 21, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Actually Pulp, I retract that statement. I checked and my AdBlock was disabled. I turned it back on and viola – the link is no longer visible. I think that must be exactly Steve’s issue. You should email and explain it to him, but avoid the snark – he doesn’t like it when people are rude to him. :)

37. manila75

February 21, 2011 at 8:50 PM

RS added “Bachelor Brad Spoilers” next to “Contact Me”. He really is listening to us. I’m amazed!

38. Ellieanne

February 21, 2011 at 8:50 PM

@kc– Yes, Maddie, Steve’s dog. She’s better than the Bachelorettes left by a long shot. And I was somewhat writing tongue in cheek, but not by much.

39. pulp

February 21, 2011 at 9:46 PM

There we go, he finally added a link without embedded ads in it; he put a second “Bachelor Brad Spoilers” link, spam free, up top next to Contact. 😀

Thank you Steve and I do hope you continue to add new links without us needing to disable all our spam, ad-block and no-script software. I just wanted to clear up all the confusion; I can’t believe nobody in all that talk realized what was going on. Must be a bunch of 17 year old girls reading this. 😉

Thanks again! :)

40. kc

February 22, 2011 at 1:54 AM

hi ellieanne – when i wrote “maddie!!!”, i wasn’t referring to your post at all .. it was simply my way of saying (to steve) that i’m very happy to see maddie again.
    and the “?” after “maddie!” is explained in the post immediately following that one = i’d put a big heart after maddie’s name.. but apparently this website can’t handle symbols and turns them into question marks.

41. reagak

February 22, 2011 at 6:20 AM

Very funny, as usual. Maddie is so adorable! Not using your kitchen has paid off. It is probably the cleanest kitchen that I’ve ever seen.

42. Dianne

February 22, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Wow! Looks like I put a thorn into a couple of sides here. Certainly not my intention. Thanks for your support Mommy, kc, and jessica. As far as the hate spew goes from a couple of the more immature posters, you can think what you like, I honestly do not care. You want to have in your mind that I’m fat, ugly, divorced etc, then you go right ahead, I personally could care less, because you are not worth my time or effort to explain to you otherwise.

43. drudydavis

February 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM

yikes! no hate here. Just wanted to say I love Reality Steve and i am counting down til his recap of this week’s episode. I posted my own recap on my blog http://www.secondaryembarrassment.com – i’d love to hear what you all think!

44. elnfarm

February 22, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Hello Steve,
    I have enjoyed your blog for a few years now. This is a first for me but i had to leave a reply this time. I know people have a hard time navigating your site because it took me a few tries, but remember we are the old (upper 40’s) frustrated, (married 25 plus years) women. Back in the day we didn’t have computers, cell phones, etc. and have had to learn on our own with our kids teaching us with much eye rolling….lol Didn’t you have to teach your parents how to use all this new fangled stuff? Just had to throw in my 2 cents. Thanks for the laughs. I have a few girlfriends that we love to talk about your blog and laugh with you about the show and about your smart? remarks….lol