Bachelor Pad 2

The Bachelorette Recap – 5/23/11 Including More “Bachelor Pad” Info

For all your episode-by-episode spoilers of Ashleys season up through the final four, either click on the “Bachelorette Ashley Spoilers” link at the top of the page, or click here. Once I have the remaining breakdown of everything else, I will post it immediately. However, there will still be spoilers posted throughout this column. You’ve been warned.

If you’re interested in writing for the site, please email a writing sample of some trashy reality show with “Sample – (name of show)” in the subject line to: steve@realitysteve.com. We are expanding the site and I’m looking for others to cover some of the shows I don’t watch. I’ve already got over 50 submissions just from yesterday, so keep them coming. Remember, not a paying job, just looking to expand. Thanks.

Well, onto another season of the same ol’, same ol’. Really, was there anything about last night that was different than anything we’ve seen on the Meet and Greet episode the past 21 seasons? Not really. Sure you had The Drunk and The Mask, but pretty much the same stuff you get on all the first night antics. Cheesy lines out of the limo, guys that last long in the show getting hometown videos in the beginning, guys vying for 1-on-1 time at the cocktail party, then of course, the dejected individuals that showed up there thinking there’s no way they’d go home on the first night, then do, and immediately begin the introspective look at themselves and say, “Maybe somethings wrong with me.” Been there, done that. For 21 seasons straight. But hell, that’s what I’m here for, right? To make fun of it all.

You know me, I’m all for self deprecating humor. If you can’t make fun of yourself, then you can’t make fun of anyone else. I’ve been making fun of myself in this column for 8 years now, so I always appreciate a good laugh at one of the contestants on this show expense. This seasons comes from Rob Dahm, the computer guy from Chicago that was eliminated last night. Someone randomly sent me this video he made of himself and “outtakes” from his first night elimination. Very funny stuff. Check it out:

For those that never saw the promo that ABC was running last week, they showed a quick clip of Rob in his hometown video (which was never shown last night), talking about “wetting the bed”. That’s why he makes the reference in the video above. I guess he figured they were gonna show it last night, but they didn’t. So she really kept Mask Dork around but not this guy? Hey, not saying Rob would’ve been her husband eventually, but we need more comedy in the show like this.

Here’s also something pretty funny. Remember that special ABC ran after Jake’s season on 20/20 where they talked about some of the secrets behind the show? It was right before Ali’s season started filming. Well, watch this video and look at who made final casting for her season. You can see him at the 2:12 mark. It’s Drunk Tim! Ha Ha. Awesome. Goes to show that just because you apply and make final casting one season, doesn’t mean you’re out of the running for any future season. So needless to say, I think this lets Tim off the hook at least a little for his antics last night. If Tim made final casting for Ali’s season, then they go back to him with, “Hey, we didn’t choose you for Ali but we think you’ll be great for Ashley”, you know he went back on the show with an agenda and it was probably staged from the beginning. I bet Ali is really kicking herself that this winner didn’t appear on her season. Roberto must be jealous.

Yesterday I mentioned to you that I had about a list of 15 names that are people I’m fairly certain the show is targeting for “Bachelor Pad”, but as I said, nothing will be official until they come out of the limos and move into that mansion on June 6th. However, with so many people speculating, and me being inundated with emails yesterday asking me what the “tentative” list is, I figured I’d just let you know who I’m hearing are pretty solid choices to be on the show so the rumors can begin. I will say this: The show is going to be telling way more than 20 people “Hey, we want you to do Bachelor Pad”, and will probably even promise some people they’ll be on it and then not cast them. They want to be as secretive as possible about who is actually officially cast so these people can’t start planning their strategies ahead of time. But here’s a pretty good list I have so far. If I had to guess, I’d say you’ll see at least 80-85% of these people on the show:

Jake
Rated “R” Rego
Erica Rose
Kasey
Vienna
Rozlyn
Kirk
Graham
Alli (Brad’s season)
Jackie (Brad’s season)
Melissa (Brad’s season)
Raichel (Brad’s season)
Brian Westendorf (DeAnna’s season)
Tanner (foot fetish guy)
Kathryn Sherlock (Jake’s season)

Remember, all speculation at this point. Nothing is official, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see many, if not all, of those people on the show. Obviously, that’s only 15 people and there’s 20 that they cast, so expect a few from Ashley’s season to be there, as well as couple others. Some names I’ve also heard thrown around but not exactly sold on it: Michelle Money, Michael Stagliano, DeAnna, John Hardesty, Susie Williams, Sarah Newlon, Craig Robinson, and Shooter to name a few. I’m sure they want Michelle on there, I just can’t imagine why she would do it, especially after what we saw of her on the “Women Tell All”. Obviously, the fans would want to see her, hell, I would too. But I think she’s being set up for another horrible edit if she does. As is the case with Rozlyn. If both these women want to shed the “villain” label they were given on their respective seasons, I don’t think going on this show is going to do that. In fact, I think it’ll do the opposite. But hey, it’s their decision not mine. I will have the full confirmed cast for you shortly after filming begins I’m sure. On to last night…

1. amylynn

May 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM

One thing that stuck out to me, besides Ashley’s ass being completely flat, was the guy ‘Ryan M’ having his camera with him. First he takes pictures with her and him then asks her if she could take a picture of him and Chris Harrison inside. Really!? I mean REALLY!? What a total db. Steve, I don’t know how you left this one out. Couldn’t she have just sent him home at that point? I know I would’ve without hesitation.
    Besides that, I actually thought it was pretty cute that Ames gave her tickets to the ballet. She kept one and gave one to him. So if he doesn’t make it to the end, then what? haha. . . . . so far I like JP and Ben F ( :

2. quesara

May 24, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Hey Steve,
    Great recap as always! And yes, I saw mask boy sitting on the toilet in a clip too, Ewwwwww.
    Rob Dahm the bedwetter got a raw deal, she should’ve kept him over mask boy.
    At least a couple of the guys, like Chris D seemed funny. Will is cute but the impressions were getting old.
    I can’t get over how much Ryan P. looks like Mr. Schuster from Glee!
    And Mickey, the “Cosmo Bachelor of the year” or whatever did not look that cute, actually seemed a little creepy to me!

3. quesara

May 24, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Oh, the only thing you were off base on Steve, was Ashley understanding Ben speaking french to her. She understood him perfectly, since her hometown in Maine is on the border of french Canada! I think she was speaking some french to Brad on her hometown date last season…

4. Fanannie

May 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Two things…

1) Rob Dahm is funnier than shit! Too bad he’s gone.

2) Anyone else think that Ames looks kind of “syndrome-y”?
    Just saying…

5. jessica1

May 24, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Rob Dahm clip was very creative and self-deprecating…loved it!

Your paragraph on the whole Princess Vespa and the idea of the Flock of Seagulls guy reappearing…or you’d just flame your apartment was priceless. Keep those 80’s references coming!

Ryan P…if he doesn’t turn out to be a douche, here’s my take on his less than stellar rep with the boys. He came off alittle “Glee” to me. Every girl has dated one. You’re sitting across from him and his animation and near mimic of your energy almost seems hyper kinetic and insincere in it’s overdriving need to be SINCERE. Like just chill dude. I’m holding my breath that he doesn’t turn out to be a brunette version of Jake.

Was it just me or did Chris from Canada look strikingly like Hilary Swank ala’ Boys Don’t Cry? That hair, that baby face.

And I’m actually liking this early version of Miss Ashley. She just seems giddy.

And they always hose-down streets for contrast and depth – in movies, tv, video, everything.

6. dnicolemont

May 24, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Does anyone not think that Ben F. looks so much like Dax Shepard?? And Frank looks like Buz Lightyear!

7. Curmudgeon

May 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM

“The reason why the driveway is always wet on the first night is for the visual effect.”

And keeping dust down, and hose blasting leaves off the driveway. Realtors do it for open house showings often.

8. Moogan21

May 24, 2011 at 3:34 PM

among the look alikes this season…
    William could be Josh Lucas (guy from Sweet Home Alabama / Snowy River McGregor Saga)’s long lost brother!

i thought the dental floss and compass bits were creative too; my buddy here at work almost gagged when i said that to her though.. haha, i guess some girls think it’s cute and others dont.

9. Bobby Bob

May 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM

My husband used to work with Ryan P at REC Solar. He would come home from work to vent about how hyper active and douche baggy Ryan acted on a daily basis. Apparently he was very emotional and threw mini tantrums at my fiance in the office.

We live in a college town full of attractive, available women in their early twenties to mid thirties. There is a reason some of these guys are still single.

10. wisewords

May 24, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Blake reminds me of Kirk DeWindt from Ali’s season.

11. sksksk

May 25, 2011 at 8:03 AM

FYI – it is “the squeaky wheel gets the grease”; not “the squeaky oil gets the wheel”…..?!

12. HeidiT

May 25, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Steve this is why I love your column so much, you and I see eye to eye on the contestants. I said when he got out of the Limo, Ant-ny is a dbag I’m glad he got kicked off the first night cause he loves himself way too much and is well, a Douche.

I find it hard to comprehend that she wanted to give Bentley the benefit of the doubt, I would have never given someone who I was warned about a rose, I’d have said you know what you can go now. So I have very little sympathy for Ashley if she takes this guy all the way and ends up crying in her bed saying I can’t believe I let this happen. Now they might have edited it really well to look like Bentley is the one she’s upset about, but if it is she needs to go back to blonde becasue she’s stupid and my dog is smarter than she is.

I find Ashley annoying and will only suffer thru her season for your recaps, I will not waste my Monday night watching I’ll catch it on Hulu.

13. HeidiT

May 25, 2011 at 8:50 AM

All movies and tv commercials wet the sidewalks and roads for night scenes for visual affects the lights on the building reflect more. I just think it’s stupid that they do that for this show when every freaking Bachelorette wears a floor length gown that ends up soaking wet by the end of the evening, way to ruin an expensive dress, you’d think they would tell them not to have a dress with a long train.

14. HeidiT

May 25, 2011 at 8:51 AM

SKSKSK you missed the point of Steve’s recap entirely.

15. SherryfromD

May 26, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I SO hope you are right about Graham being on BP! He was my favorite guy on the Bachelorette second only to Jerry from Jen’s season.

16. jenniferboston1

May 26, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Hmm….stll confused why Ashley chose Bentley? Knowing what she knew?

17. bamabeauty

May 27, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Great recap. But does anyone else think that Will, looks like Prince William a bit. That is the first thing I thought when I saw him. Just a thought!

18. jenniferboston1

May 27, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Bentley’s exwife looks alot like
    Emily. Michelle Money posted her Twitter “handle” this morning.

19. my_4_girls

May 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Moogan21 — I agree completely! i got on here to see if reality steve realized it too! I LOVED Josh Lucas in that movie & I kept thinking I had seen someone like William on the bachelorette before… then looked online and realized it was Josh. Lots of look-alikes this season. guess when you’ve done this many seasons, you run out of new “looks”:).

LOVE your column Steve — keep up the GREAT work!!