Reader Emails

More “Bachelor Pad” Info, Chris Harrison Nonsense, and Your “Reader Emails” – 6/10/11

For all your episode-by-episode spoilers of Ashleys season, either click on the “Bachelorette Ashley Spoilers” link at the top of the page, or click here. Do not read if you don’t want to know who Ashley is with. You’ve been warned.

Once again lets start with some “Bachelor Pad” info I mentioned yesterday on Twitter. Gia is in the cast. Don’t ask me why, don’t ask me how, because I’m just as baffled as the next person. She went on the show last year with a boyfriend, Chris Campoli of the Ottawa Senators, fell for Wes during filming, then broke up with Chris when she got home. We all know how that turned out. Now she’s dating Ryan Anderson of the Orlando Magic and decides to do the show. So your guess is as good as mine as to why she’s doing it. However, it makes more sense now that they were after Wes to do it. Talked to Wes last Saturday and he said they were trying to get him to do it last minute, but he declined. So even with Wes not there, I’m sure they will play up the Vienna/Gia drama, even though both have moved on.

Also, I decided to have a little fun with people this week by tweeting “Emily is on Bachelor Pad”. Of course, I figured everyone would immediately assume Emily Maynard, start freaking out, and sending me nasty Twitter posts about what they thought of her as a mother, etc. And they did. I was gonna leave it up there for an hour, before explaining it was actually Emily Harkins, who was sent home on the first night of Jakes season. I couldn’t last 20 minutes. The tweets got so ridiculous, I figured I’d put people out of their misery and explain to them it was Emily Harkins I was talking about and not Emily Maynard. Well, come to find out now that Emily Harkins did get flown out to be on the show, but as far as I know, never got cast since she was back on Facebook yesterday posting “False alarm. I’m back…”.

Then yesterday afternoon, EW.com ran this story that obviously confirmed Jake is on the show. So judging by the picture, we now know that either he or Jackie won the first challenge since they ended up on a date together, unless somehow the rules got changed. My guess is Jackie won the challenge for the girls just because I’m thinking if Jake won, he would’ve somehow ended up with someone other than Jackie. But that’s just a guess.

I’m hoping that by sometime this weekend or early next week I’ll be able to nail down the full cast. It’s getting tougher and tougher I tell you. I’m sure ABC will be releasing it in the middle of next week if they’re following the timeline of last season. I’m not as concerned about having the whole cast as I am about the spoilers for the season. Last year I released them at the end of June and I’m looking to do the same this season. We’ll see.

Hey, you wanna see Ashleys attempt at humor? This was a portion of her performance at the roast where she went after a few of the guys, namely Bentley, William, and Ryan. Lets just say she probably shouldn’t quit her day job:

Actually, the little dig on Ryan wasn’t that bad. Although Ashley, this is a roast. I know what you said might’ve seemed hurtful to you, but it kinda loses its effect when you go up and hug them after the joke. Ryan’s a big boy. I’m sure he can take it. So basically, William and Nick seemed to be the only two guys who actually understood the concept of a roast and performed accordingly. Although William seemed more interested in securing more material for his demo tape considering in his conference call with the media yesterday, Masked Jeff even said William went on for 20 minutes just killing Ashley. He’s a real bright one.

Chris Harrison was back talking to the media of course after Monday’s episode, and I just don’t understand some of the things that come out of his mouth sometimes. Here’s some snippets of the interview he did with TVGuide.com where he’s talking about the shows role in how they handled Bentley:

People are questioning why producers didn’t step in and do something to stop him.

Harrison: I’m catching heat and the producers are catching heat, but the only way we could have told her everything about Bentley was to completely affect her journey. What line do we not want to cross? Then it really opens up Pandora’s box and where to we stop the line? Do I tell her a snide comment that J.P. just made or “Oh I heard William said something about you too”? Why would she even date these guys when she could just go to the producers and watch the tapes and see how they act. It completely undermines everything we’ve been about for the entire show. I know it’s a sketchy grey area, but that’s the line we’ve drawn and we’ve stuck to it.

Ok, that’s just a ridiculous answer. We’re not saying that every time someone says something about Ashley she’s allowed to go look at the tapes. We know you’d never do that, nor would we expect you too. But for THIS PARTICULAR SITUATION, where you KNEW Ashley was falling for Bentley, where you KNEW by her ITMs she was telling you how much she liked the guy, and you KNEW by his actions when he was with her versus what he was saying behind her back, screw the “line we’ve drawn” BS. Your “Bachelorette” has looked ridiculous these first three episodes because you purposely didn’t tell her stuff. She should’ve been informed. You know it, I know it, and she knows it. Rego had a girlfriend back home, and you let Ali talk to her, so why can’t you tell Ashley about Bentley? If you’re really looking out for her best interests, then you don’t just “warn” her about Bentley, you tell her specifically what he’s saying. Did you see her on Kimmel this week? She’s mortified by what she’s hearing that Bentley was saying about her. And you still don’t think you should’ve told her? Just figured it’d be best that she found this out on her own and got embarrassed for three episodes on national television and made to look like a fool? Oh, ok.

Let me refresh peoples memory just a bit:

-On Feb. 24th, I announced in my video blog that Ashley was going to be the next “Bachelorette”.

-On Mar. 1st, I wrote an apology about being wrong regarding who Brad was with and told everyone Brad was engaged to Emily, and not Chantal.

-Guys didn’t leave for filming until around March 12th or 13th

-On Mar. 14th, the night of Brad’s finale and one day before filming began, ABC officially announced on Jimmy Kimmels show that Ashley would be the next “Bachelorette”.

My point is, Bentley was well aware before he left for filming that the “Bachelorette” was Ashley, and couldn’t have been Emily. Now, you might say, “But Steve, what if he didn’t read your site and didn’t know. Or even if he did, he didn’t know for sure.” Yes, that’s possible. But highly unlikely. If he didn’t know 100% it was Ashley, he pretty much knew there was a better chance it’d be her over Emily. And by what we’ve heard in his ITMs, Bentley would’ve preferred Emily over Ashley, which is fine. Everyone’s got their tastes, and if you’ve seen Bentleys ex-wife, lets just say she looks a hell of a lot more like Emily than Ashley. So why would the show continue to pursue Bentley for their show knowing he was more into Emily, and even in his hometown video, tells us as much?

I’m pretty convinced that the minute Ashley informed producers she got a text from Michelle Money saying Bentley wasn’t there for the right reasons, they knew they had their storyline. So that’s why I blame both parties. Thousands upon thousands of guys apply to be on this show. You had a guy here telling you he wasn’t into Ashley and she wasn’t his type, yet you still went after him to do the show? Why? Why not just be like, “Ok, well we tried, but there’s tons of other guys who do want to be here, so see ya.” It’s because they knew they had that storyline once Ashley told them about the texts from Michelle. Nobody put a gun to Bentleys head to go on the show, so he is definitely to blame. But the show could’ve easily backed off when they realized he wasn’t into her and chosen any of the thousands of other applicants, but they didn’t for the sake of drama and ratings. It’s my opinion, and that’s what I’m sticking with.

1. finerthings

June 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I’m not sure if you’re trying to be overly modest with your answer to the first reader e-mail, or if you just don’t know the effects of your blog, somehow. Every online news article and blog that I had read on the Bachelor last season quoted “Reality Steve’s predictions” and yes, it was definitely an assumption online, BECAUSE OF YOU, that Emily would be the Bachelorette. That didn’t seem to be the question in that e-mail. I think the question was, do you care that you affected Ashley’s emotions? (because they were in fact affected by you) It’s kind of interesting that this whole season of the Bachelorette has that flavor because you were wrong last season. Weird.

2. itsmelauren

June 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I think that Steve has more readership than he thinks he does, but honestly, I think it wasn’t him that caused her emotions. Ashley is just an insecure person. Come on, we saw what she was like with Brad. Constant questioning and worrying about the other girls. Her insecurity isn’t going to go away once she’s the Bachelorette. In fact, it probably increases because she now has 25 guys who can reject her instead of one. It’s not Steve’s fault for Ashley’s insecurities. If Ashley can’t take criticism or rejection, she shouldn’t be in the public eye. (Obviously I don’t condone being mean, but as evidenced by the roast, she can’t take much.)

3. poddington

June 10, 2011 at 8:44 PM

I remember there was a time when they actually said bachelors were “hand picked”, or “screened” just for XYZ bachelorette…noticed they did not say that with Ashley. Thats just what you want, a dooshwad that finds your type an ugly duckling. simply awful. My guess is thy could have rustled up a mess a guys that are just Ashley’s type…if they had even cared to try.

4. Caroll

June 12, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I personally do not and have not found Bentley good looking. I guess Ashley did though plus his words and behavior toward her made her feel good. What he said behind the scenes sound sociopathic or psychopathic. Being able to be glib and charming to suit his own ends of playing her. I hope the “plot” moves on now and away from him which Steve’s spoilers indicate will happen.

5. morrigan0

June 13, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I guess this is a sign unemployment is killing me…..I find myself looking forward to tonight’s episode.

6. morrigan0

June 13, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Found BP breakdown over at EW it names the 18 people then throws in 3 mystery men from ashley’s season. I think they’ll inlclude Ben C and Bentley. http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/13/bachelor-pad-cast-season-2/

7. jdub

June 13, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I saw Mask Guy Jeff in St. Louis on Saturday night (June 11) so we won’t have to suffer through him on BP. Everyone this season is so boring, it’s a shame that 3 will be getting more air time.

8. hordac

June 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Well I’m glad ABC is taking some heat over this Bentley thing, though they are rubbing their hands fiendishly together behind the scenes at all the press its generating. Hey, in the end, this may be good for Ashley. There is probably nothing more mortifying than being called an ugly duckling on national TV, therefore she’ll develop a thicker skin. Shame on you ABC, this was really cruel and I actually feel mortified on her behalf. I hope once this is all over and she has no fear of repercussions she really tells us what she thinks of their slimeball tactics. I hope her and JP find some lasting happiness, which would make this all better for her and worth going through. Wish her all the best for the future!

9. BentleyApologists

June 13, 2011 at 5:27 PM

“Original Bachelorette Footage Edited”—Exclusive Commentary from Bentley*

BENTLEY WAS RIGHT!

Search BENTLEY APOLOGISTS

10. Reason

June 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM

We all know that in order to keep a show on the air you need to get ratings, but it takes a real slimeball to hurt people in order to bring about that goal.

By choosing not to share Bentley’s ITMs with Ashley while she was on the show, ABC has revealed they are willing to hurt others in order to promote their program. Although this had been done before to some degree in earlier seasons, like hiring Michelle Money and lying about her profession as an actress by stating she was still a Hairstylist, this season has been much more direct about it. Sure, they can get ratings by feeding Ashley the false pretense that they will only keep suitors who are there for the “right reason” but the show in its current format will only last as long as there is anyone left who believes it. At least we can now be sure who isn’t there for the “right reason” anymore: the producers and writers of the show. It will be interesting, and maybe even entertaining, to see how the show changes as fewer contestants and viewers buy into the overall premise.

11. bigguysmama

June 13, 2011 at 10:22 PM

I know that it’s hard to wrap your mind around how the ladies can get so riled up about some dude that we’ve never met who treats some chick we’ve never met horribly. IMHO I’d have to say that it’s because we see an injustice happening. We’re seeing someone being talked about in a terrible way and we react to it. We’re ladies, that’s what we do. I mean, this guy was blatantly saying the most hurtful and bullying things, and using his daughter as an excuse in the end. We see this slime ball and he clearly has no remorse for how he feels, thinks or acts, and we have a strong reaction to it. I’m not sure how we couldn’t. Some people cry at sappy movies when we know it’s just a movie, make believe. Others want to throw drinks at a guy because he was mean spirited, disgusting, and a sad excuse for well, anything! Will he be on the Men Tell All? Has he said anything to indicate that he’s not this lowlife that he portrayed himself to be? If not, then I’d say he’ll end up with a couple of drinks in his face.

12. Sylvester

June 15, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Steve,

Twice now you have commented about the final 4 regarding the next bachelor and have indicated that Constantine and Ben are total yawns and would not be it. We now know that Ames is on Bachelor Pad so obviously not a final 4. Since both times you failed to mention JP – is he the last man standing? He would also make a good next bachelor, unless of course Ashley chose him.I quite like him. I also like Ryan. So, my question… Freudian slip in not mentioning his name? or accidental oversight?

13. Small_Peanut

June 15, 2011 at 12:05 PM

As mentioned above (just now read this bit) I believe the entire thing is scripted on both ends. I’m sorry but I highly doubt anyone (no matter how big a jerk) would go on national TV and say those things KNOWING she’ll watch later. I believe he was paid to play that part and I believe Ashley was also in on it. If I had to bet money in Vegas, that’s where I’d roll my dice. The entire scenario is scripted to create ratings. I just can’t believe everyone believes this is real. How many seasons has this aired and how many times have we been proven the manipulation of the show? She’s not that stupid and would never mentioned Bentley 100 times knowing the other guys would see it. I just don’t believe it. Also, how coincidental Michelle Money called her? And, now she’s cast on Bachelor pad. PLEASE! FAKE FAKE FAKE. The last REAL season was probably Andrew Firestones, I wish they would keep it real vs. all these fake story lines. Just like the guy with the mask was a plant.

14. carlachmie

June 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM

what is the latest with brad and emily? i know people are probably always asking you this, but neither speak to the public about their relationship. so i was wondering if you knew the details? so far we brad/emily fans know that they were off then on. We all saw the pics of em’s visit to dallas and at the airport, saw the pics of emily without her ring, and thats the latest. i was really hoping you could find out what is going on between the two!