Hi there Steve,
Just a few thoughts:
The Ashley interview from philly.com – I have never heard her so likeable. Looks like a clear case of someone getting more than they bargained for. I’m guessing that producer manipulation on the Bachelor/ette shows is at one level for the contestants, but is amped through the roof for the Bachelorette herself. And I guess that only makes sense, really. What do they do when somebody comes to them with five or six weeks left and says, “Okay, I already know who I want”? They have to coach the hell out of her and get her to appear believable with people that she has already told them she doesn’t want. How would you like to be that guy? The guy who she is pretending for because the producers are making her…? Yuck. Anyway, she comes across like a pretty normal person in a very NOT normal environment. I say pretty normal…I still think she should have known better than to sign up for this lunacy.
Bach Pad Thoughts –
1. Jake Pavelka, put on the crown. You are the least self-aware person in America. The equivalent of what he’s done with his personality would be like somebody growing a football sized tumor on their forehead and walk around smiling, blaming mirrors and bad lighting. Jake really should have been a model. Then all he’d have to do is shut up and get his picture taken.
2. Saw a preview, and I have to say I forgot just how smoking hot Michelle Money is. Makes me wonder who Carlos Boozer is with now, if he left that behind. Good gracious.
3. Gia Allemand – you’re played out. Nice enough girl (albeit one who seems to pathologically chase assholes), but seriously, this is your third series with the Bachelor franchise. Get out and get help.
4. Kasey – I found your description of how he’ll come across on the show to be pretty stunning. Dude was approaching stage 5 weirdness when he was on, so I’m actually pretty interested in seeing the all new improved, cool-guy Kasey.
Thanks for the spoilers! Always makes for good reading.
Comment: Oh, I’m sure the lead has known well before the final episode which guy she wants to end up with. Hell, the last two “Bachelorettes” now have told us in post-show interviews they knew who their guy was early on. Ali told us after the fact it was always Roberto, and then in the Philly.com interview, Ashley says she was 95% sure early on who it was. Why do you think I make fun of the show so much? Because what you’re seeing in the interaction with these people, and the cheesy lines that come out of their mouth is all for show. If Ali knew it was Roberto early on, and this were real life, she’d stop dating everyone else and be exclusive with him. But she signed up to be the “Bachelorette,” she gets paid for it, and she can’t just pick her guy a couple episodes in and leave. The show must go on for roughly episodes, so, after Ali says a statement like “I always knew it was Roberto”, now hindsight is 20/20 and you can look back and realize that anything she said to Chris and any other guy that seemed remotely like she could possibly marry them, or was falling in love with them, was B.S. It’s one big song and dance. They’re putting on a television show. I know I say that time and time again, but a lot of people still don’t seem to grasp that concept. It’s ok. I blame your parents.
1. In complete agreement.
2. In complete agreement again.
3. Ha ha. I like Gia. I really do. I can say she is one of the most striking women I’ve ever spent time with before, and towards me, she’s been nothing but gracious. However, I still don’t know why she decided to come on this show a 2nd time with a boyfriend, nor why I haven’t heard from her in probably four or five months. Disappointing, but to a certain extent, I get it.
4. I think Kasey is going to be the “Bachelor Pad” Wes of this season. Meaning, people had one view of him through the season he was on, and will be end up coming across as completely different once BP airs.
I was very excited to receive this email after last week’s “Reader Emails”…
It’s me, Michelle, again. Thank u so much for commenting on my email. I am so happy it is still Jp. U made my weekend. I was happy to tell my mommy that she was so wrong. I did miss swim practice, but ur posts made it o
My mom thinks that Ashley’s big sis is not going to like Jp and that might be why Chris Harrison said in his blog that Jp and Ashley will have a bumpmy road. I sure hope not like Brad and Emily. Do u know anything about it and would share?
Still ur biggest fan,
Comment: I love how she calls me Mr. Steve. No one’s ever called me that before.
I obviously got this email before I posted the ATFR spoilers on Wednesday that explained why Ashley’s sis wasn’t in to JP at first. As you saw from the ATFR show last night, Ashley and JP are just fine. The tabloid stuff was all just to drum up interest and get you to buy their magazine. Sorry you missed swim practice. Hopefully that never happens again.
Just had to finally write in because I get so disappointed in the people who comment negatively about your site. You provide so much entertainment to them for free…I think you have a great business sense..obviously because you have turned a basic “rumor mill” into a growing business. QUESTION for all the haters…..>>>how many hits does Reality Steve’s site receive each year? Keep it up. For real, a question to you..”Do you have former contestants ask or beg to be mentioned in your columns?
Comment: Saw a really good quote that someone posted on their FB status yesterday. It read: “Love your haters. They are your biggest fans. Why? They waste their time watching your every move because their lives aren’t as fulfilling as yours. ” Sounds pretty accurate to me. I will never for the life of me understand why someone would take the time out of their day to write a comment, or post on a message board, how much they hate me. Exactly what does that do? If you’re gonna say it, email me directly and tell me to my face. You realize how ridiculous anyone sounds when they post anonymously to a message board about someone or something? So ridiculous.
No, I’ve never had a former contestant beg to be mentioned in a column. And I can guarantee you this: If one of them ever did, they’d get exposed. I would not be too happy if they did that.
Just a question about Ryan. I didnt see any sparks whatsoever between Ashley and him (not like Jillian and Reid), so its really surprising that he’s the one to return. Wouldnt it have made more sense if it was Bentley a la Jillian and Ed? Was it mostly the producers who asked Ryan back to set him up for the Bachelor? Or did he really see something that I didnt see (or the producers didnt show?)
Comment: Only Ryan knows the real answer to this, and even though for whatever reason it wasn’t addressed during the MTA, I still think it was more or less to give him a backstory heading in to the next “Bachelor” season, if in fact he does end up being it.
Between the last three dates with the fantasy suites, does Ashley get a day off in between the dates? I am sure that the couples are up “talking” all night, so does she really immediately go on a date the next morning?
RS, I have to agree with so many of your previous emailers. I mean, how could I not be personally offended by the increasingly sexual tone of your weekly column? Why can’t you instead use your site to support the timeless values purported by The Bachelor/ette? You know, like malicious editing to turn people into villains, rampant alcoholism, and riding three people you barely know on back to back to back nights…
Seriously though, not only do I find your site hilarious but I would give it a solid PG-13 rating. I hope you continue to keep the most vulgar of the swear words out of your site and I look forward to reading the final few columns of this dreadfully boring season.
Comment: Thank you. Will do.