Interviews

Ben’s High School Reunion Pictures, Videos, and the Return of Your “Reader Emails” – 1/5/12

First wanted to talk about the ratings for the “Bachelor” being down 17% from Brad’s premiere at the same time last year. Look, you know I’m not someone who will ever come to the defense of this show, but when I get emails and hear people say, “See, no one’s watching anymore. Ratings were down 17%,” it’s time to tell people they have no idea what that actually means. Overall viewership was down 17% from last season’s Brad premiere. Still, 7.7 million people watched on Monday. But that’s not the story. If you actually read into the numbers (which 99.99999% of people don’t), you’ll see that viewership increased in the second hour from the first hour and, most importantly, it won it’s two hour time slot in the coveted women 18-34 range. That’s all they care about folks. Every single Monday night for the next 11 weeks, ABC will win the women demographic between 8-10pm EST. That’s what their advertisers are paying for.

Not to mention, there are also two other factors to take into account regarding the overall viewership being down:

1) Technically Monday was a holiday and most shows don’t do well on holidays

2) It was up against essentially New Years Day bowl games since those were pushed back a day. Sure college FB viewers aren’t necessarily their audience, but it definitely affects it going up against a big night of football. I expect a little of the same next week since it’s on opposite of the national championship game. Why do you think they don’t air a season anymore that starts in Sept and ends in Nov like they used to? Because once they moved the show to Mon nights, that means it would’ve competed directly w Monday Night Football

So you can tap the brakes on “No one wants to watch Ben,” “this show is on its last legs,” and the “no one cares anymore” garbage. It’s just not true and quite an ignorant statement to make.

Made a mistake in Monday’s column regarding Emily’s rap so I want to thank a couple emailers for pointing this out to me. In the beginning lines of her rap where she says, “Love is like disease, it’s always spreading, you can get it from a friend, you can get it at a wedding”, for whatever reason, I read it as she was saying you can “get” diseases from a friend or a wedding, when it’s obvious she was talking about love. Duh. Can’t believe I misread it that badly.

Page 1 of 612345...Last »

1. Dianne

January 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM

What a dork Ben is..these pictures pretty much confirms that.

2. missannmcd

January 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Comment: Yet again, an email I 100% agree with. Everyone is entitled to do their own thing when it comes to what they want to post on their Facebook status, or what they want to Tweet, but I just don’t get the people who constantly are telling us on a daily basis how much they’re in love with the boyfriend/girlfriend, their kids, etc. Look, if you’re in a relationship, married or otherwise, or you have kids, it’s pretty universally accepted that you love them. Why the need to tell everyone every day about it? It makes me think there’s actually something wrong in the relationship which is why they’re reassuring strangers constantly that there isn’t. But hey, that’s just me.

Steve: “Those who do it don’t talk about it. Those who talk about it, don’t do it” Dr. Ruth W.

3. serpephone

January 9, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I dvr’d first and second episodes… haven’t watched yet. Ben DOES NOT thrill me! Too much going on right now–NBA lockout is over and I’ve taken on a few new TV shows this year (2 Broke Girls & 2 1/2 Men)–I’ll watch if I get a chance. If not, I feel I haven’t missed much!

4. sophienettejc

January 10, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Growing on me… I think Steve is right! The fun is in watching the contestants.
    For romantic sillies like me (who eventually decide to put on rose-tinted glasses), the first few episodes are almost irrelevant.
    I have a lot more pictures on my http://wp.me/P1Pls6-j3 (girls and/or Ben) BTW :) Feel free to borrow any time those that don’t come from here (always credited!)!

5. fantasysweet

January 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM

He really is such a dork and now he is big man on campus. You know this is oot he has evebeen in his life. He tries a little too hard sometimes.

6. realityreader

January 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I thought her name was Diana and she was from Detroit. I found it interesting that they did not chose to run anything from her on the show, no interview, no date etc.