Reader Emails

“Reader Emails,” Ratings News, Clips from Monday’s Episode, and This is Your Life, Arie Luyendyk Jr.

More ratings news to start with. As you read last week, Emily’s premiere episode got 8.2 million viewers. This week? 7.7 million. So any talk that Emily’s season was gonna blow previous seasons away was nonsense. However, that number will rise the rest of the season and probably hover in the mid 8 millions, with the finale reaching probably close to 9 million or so. The second and third episodes are usually a drop from the first because the average viewer checks out the first episode because they want to see all the contestants, then they go away from the show for a couple weeks because there’s still too many guys left and they don’t know who’s who. Then once the numbers start dwindling down, they tune back in again. Happens every seasons. All ABC cares about is winning that Women 18-54 demographic, which they did once again this past Monday. Overall viewers is nice and fun to compare to previous seasons, but it’s not the determining factor at all in how it’s doing with its core audience.

Back tonight at 9PM EST/6PM PST with a live video blog. I’m guessing after you continue reading today’s column, you’ll probably have a few more questions or two. I’ll be more than happy to fill you in on anything else you might want to know.

So how’d you like the first three paragraphs of Kalon’s memoir I posted on Tuesday? Pretty good stuff, but as I told you, it only gets worse. Now, quite a few of you wanted to read all of it, but seriously, that thing is 10 pages long on Microsoft Word, and it really would’ve dominated the whole column. However, I was made aware of a solution. Apparently some guy that went to high school with Kalon has a website called www.thegivingsteve.com(no, it’s not me), where he enjoys making fun of the douchelicker that is Kalon McMahon. On his site, there’s now a link to a Facebook page entitled “Kalon’s Memoir”, that you can see by clicking here.. This is the exact same memoir that was sent to me a couple months ago in all its grammatically butchered glory. Not to mention zero paragraph breaks. So have fun trying to read it without going blind. It sure bottles up the true essence of Kalon Joseph Reid McMahon. Thanks for the insight into your privileged life, Kalon. We appreciate it.

You know how I’ve said for years that one of the biggest things I would change about this show is just to let the exited contestants actually speak their minds and tell us what really happened on the show? Well, we all know that would never happen because then the show would be exposed for being the farce that it is, but, when you get exit interviews like the one Joe gave to the media this past week, they should really start re-considering it. Tell me if you’ve ever seen a worse, more boring, uninformative, and completely waste of time for an interview than the conference call Joe did with the media this past week. I mean, we’re all aware that these people usually offer nothing good up anyway, but Joe took it to the extreme levels of nothing-ness. My God, the reporters questions were longer than his answers. And yet, no questions about Kathleen Gardiner for Joe. Shocking. You can read some of the interview here.

ABC has released 5 clips from Monday’s episode which were then posted on www.Zap2it.com. Here they are:

Hey, I guess if things don’t possibly work out with Emily, at least Sean has back up and can get with her friend Wendy. Geez Wendz, don’t make it too obvious you want to ravish his body:

Nothing all too exciting about Chris and Emily scaling a building that’s maybe 3 stories high. Jake and Vienna and Jason and Molly bungee jumping aren’t impressed by this:

I’m kinda disappointed that Dolly showed up in the middle of this. I really would’ve liked to have seen Arie and Emily craft a love song. I’m sure it would’ve been magical:

I’m guessing this is about the point where Emily’s eyes were finally opened regarding Kalon. Funny how at the beginning of the clip she’s all into him, and by the end, even she can see what a toolbox he is:

As Ron Burgundy would say, “Take it easy, Alessandro. Why don’t you sit this next one out? Stop talking for a while.”

1. reddla

May 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Blah. Big deal. My husband is 7 years younger than me. And the fact he had ulterior motives is expected at this point. Seen it before. Not shocking.

2. molliesage

May 24, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Huh?? Say what? Thanks Steve, you just shed a light that Arie is absolutely normal guy. That is called life. Probably he was heartbroken after breakup and just wanted to have fun. Nothing wrong with that!

3. nsawyer

May 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I think you people are way off base by not thinking what these bachelor people did to Emily by bringing on Arie was completely messed up! I have to think that she is a sweet person and actually wanted to see if this would work for her and her daughter and they basically put a decoy in there with Arie! I don’t get why interviewers don’t ask Chris Harrison questions about stuff like that. Are they told beforehand they can’t ask that? Then, aren’t the bachelor people admitting by saying that that there is something wrong?? I feel bad for Emily because I read that she was completely pissed after hearing that Cassie Lambert had a past with Arie. So wrong on so many levels.

4. amandamed

May 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM

@nsawyer: In all of these “interviews”, the interviewer basically has to put all their cards out on the table and get approval by ABC execs before asking any questions. In the event that they went rogue and asked something that was not approved, the multiple producers/handlers present would not allow the question to be answered. Obviously on ANY ABC talk show, they are only going to ask G-rated questions that present the show in the best light.

@molliesage: The point that Steve is trying to make is that this is NOT the behavior of a guy who is serious about being in a committed relationship; especially with a single mother. At the very least, he shouldn’t be texting some random chick when he’s supposedly actively pursuing someone. More than that, he’s a decade older than these people…he really should be past the “sowing his wild oats” stage, especially if he’s claiming that he potentially wants to wind up married at the end of this.

5. kjem

May 24, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Really? Has society gotten so bad that this is what passes as a “normal guy”. Since when is it considered appropriate for a man to sleep with multiple girls under the age of 25? Also, it’s not considered normal for a guy to sleep with his best friend’s/partner’s girlfriend? Sad world we live in…

6. lmichelle

May 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM

@Kjem , exactly what I was thinking. If that’s their normal I feel bad

7. heather_joy

May 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Talk about some juicy gossip . . . sounds like Arie is going to fit right with the Bachelor Nation cross pollenation situation. This is the sort of shenanigans that goes on with former contestants all the time.

8. lucky

May 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Definitely worth the wait. Great column – I love reading the Arie gossip. Looking forward to tonight’s video blog.

9. flipper

May 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Emily has ties to Hendrick Motor Sports. Arie is a former race car driver. Could be the only reason he’s on the show is to connect with HMS. HMS is one of the top NASCAR organizations in the country. If he could get his foot in the door at Hendrick he’d be set for life. Could be his motivation for doing this show.

10. thegivingsteve

May 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Thanks for referencing the site. Hope to see you at the Steve convention at the Raddison Ballroom in Encino this weekend.
    For those looking, the link to my roast of Kalon’s “memoirs” is:
    He is the Mt. Everest of douchebags.

11. aatxcutie

May 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Who cares about the Bachelor/Bachelorette when you can watch REAL drama like last night’s season finale of Revenge. If you guys haven’t watched it, it’s totally the best show on ABC, best show on a major network in a long long time!!! Talk about sleeze!!!

12. Dianne

May 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Okay, what up with Steve..he’s actually giving ABC “credit” for having such a tight lid on the F3???!!! Sounds like a bit of a$$ kissing from Steve. Really sad that he feels he needs to be this way for “them”. C’est la vie!

13. caitlyn

May 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I’m not the Caitlyn who knows Arie, just to clear that up. Steve, so lame, here I was waiting to hear that Arie was an ax murdered, child/girlfriend beater, gay or had 3 kids by 3 different women. He didn’t cheat on Cassie H and obviously once they split he tried to move on. Can he help it if these women throw themselves at him? NO, he didn’t do anything wrong, imo as he was single at the time. I feel sorry for him, actually, it seems like Cassie H. was the love of his life, she lost their baby and they broke up for whatever reasons. Instead of hating Arie, your big “he ruined his life”, made me just like the guy more and my heart goes out to him. You only wish you could date 3 girls at once? Jealous, and it’s not a good look on you, Steve. It seems Emily picked Jef anyway and Arie will be just fine. He is s good guy, just a normal guy, maybe hard for you to understand since you come off as a priss.

14. reddla

May 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM

aatxcutie, everyone’s saying that today. i have 5 eps on my dvr. ugh, need to catch up!

15. CaliGirl

May 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM

aatxcutie, I LOVE Revenge! Best show by far in a really, really long time. I was a huge 24 and Lost fan and in my book Revenge ranks right up there with those.

Reddla, you must get caught up ASAP! The finale was really good! I won’t give anything away on what happened but as Nolan said it best- “Oh- Em-Gee”

I SO wish RS had spoilers for Revenge. :) (hey a girl can dream)

16. bigfatwoman

May 24, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Steve….

Let me pick myself up off the floor and wipe the blood off my forehead….because I just fell asleep at the computer reading your convoluted nonsense about Arie.

Seriously dude….what happened to you in high school? I’m thinking it had to be something in a locker room and with a bunch of jocks. This column serves as your revenge to all the Mike Fleiss’ and Arie’s that wronged you in childhood.

I have not read any of the other comments before typing this one. I want to be completely unbiased.

I get the fact that Arie is a douchebag….and apparently it’s a moot point because Emily does not pick him in the end.

That long story you just told with so many legs and arms was absolutely ridiculous. Seriously Steve, stick to the fun and funny stuff and quit the minutiae.

17. penguinfan01

May 24, 2012 at 4:13 PM

It sounds to me like Arie is going to be perfect for Bachelor Pad. He will fit right in sleeping with anyone he can, even someone elses girl. I wouldn’t put it past him to have wanted to come on this show to be the next Bachelor, then he can have his stable. I hope Emily didn’t pick him, because she seems like she really wants to find a mate and father figure for Ricki. Most of these guys are just looking for their 15 minutes. I wish her luck, but doesn’t look too promising with this bunch.

18. cece931

May 24, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Anyone saying that Arie is a good guy or see nothing wrong with what he did need to read the column again. He hooked-up with his best friends girlfriend! If that’s a good guy by your standards then I think you need to check your morals! What has the world come to?

19. rs607

May 24, 2012 at 9:27 PM

These people defending Arie are either on his payroll, his buddies or Aholes themselves b/c there is something seriously wrong w/ your brain or moral compass if you think any of this is OK much less playing a woman like Emily who has a child. I hope as many people as possible and all who read this and are offended let Emily know of this. This guy is beyond Bently skeezy and never mind how sleazy Cassie L is.

20. Dianne

May 25, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Wow, caitlin, seems your morals were dumped at the curb. Arie’s a sleeze-bag and nothing less. It amazes me that this type of guy is your type..wow!

21. CaliGirl

May 25, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Caitlyn, your folks must be so proud.

22. candy6

May 25, 2012 at 11:07 AM

But what is completely wrong of RS is to invade someone’s privacy and release a tidbit to the public that is very private. The miscarriage of a baby. Shame on you RS! If that part doesn’t air in the show, then it is you that we can blame when the tabloids run with it and slap that private incident all over the place. Obviously you or someone you know has never faced that kind of pain.

23. c104

May 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Steve,
    When did realitysteve.com morph from a spoiler site with your slanted, sophomoric and skewed views to a full-blown scandal rag? What you’re writing now is on par with Reality TV magazine. There will always be an audience for it. It’s just strange that sites you’ve always slammed, your site’s now become.

24. CaliGirl

May 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Okay, Steve you are losing it man. I have been a huge supporter of yours for a long time now but you went too far by mentioning Cassie H.’s misscarriage! You said so yourself- you’re not even sure if that part will air- so why in the world would you stoop so low as to mention any of that? I thought you were a more decent person than that but I guess I’ve been naive.

25. aatxcutie

May 25, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I smell another lawsuit coming on…

26. CaliGirl

May 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Despite the way I spelled miscarriage in my above post, I’m not a complete idiot. LOL

27. luna

May 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Have a feeling that we might have a LIVE finale 2 where she will choose the last guy.

28. lcs85

May 25, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Considering they are all of age, I don’t think it really matters if the girl is 20 or 30. Since when are people only allowed to date people that are the same age as them? If they met in a bar, or somewhere else in public its not like they are going to be quizzed on their ages.

“Oh, sorry, I can only hang out with people in the 28-32 age group.”

And a guy sleeping with 3 different girls isn’t really all that scandalous. You are right that is just a bunch of high school gossip. And who really cares about that anymore? I’m sure we all have drama in our lives, and have done things that don’t make us look all perfect.

It also seems very tacky to be linking to all of these people’s Facebook pages. Yes, If people really wanted to find them on Facebook I’m sure they can, as it is a public website. But it still seems so tacky. I’m sure these people just want to be able to continue on with their lives and not have 100s of RS readers emailing them dumb questions about such private matters.

29. lcs85

May 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM

After reading the links about Kalon, I would much rather have more background information on him then Arie’s “high school” drama.

Much like Courtney was my favorite in Ben’s season, I am now loving just how self absorbed and crazy Kalon is. Too bad he doesn’t last much longer :(

30. maxi

May 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM

This is what Steve said in the May 3 column:

“I plan to have your episode-by-episode spoilers sometime in the next two weeks. Probably won’t be as detailed as in the past, and a lot of it you already know if you’ve been following the site the last two months, but I hope to have all your eliminations and most of your dates laid out for you hopefully by the time the show starts. If not, shortly thereafter.”

Soooo, yea, Steve needs to just admit this season he is unable to spoil.

31. sophienettejc

May 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Re maxi’s comment “This is what Steve said in the May 3 column:

“I plan to have your episode-by-episode spoilers sometime in the next two weeks. ..”

That is over 3 weeks ago right? Right!

32. aatxcutie

May 27, 2012 at 4:30 PM

:) Those ep-by-eps won’t be coming, well maybe until after the whole season is over.

33. terk

May 28, 2012 at 1:51 AM

This is pretty spot on for Scottsdale where Arie says he lives. I am a native. He sounds bad and probably is but the girls there are lazy and dumb and refuse to work. Basically they want someone to work for them and deserve to be taken advantage of. I think I saw on the chics’ datebook pages, Devry, Phoenix University, Masseuse, Model (of course you are in AZ, lol). Get a job and decent guys might talk to you.

34. fleurdeliss

May 28, 2012 at 4:24 AM

“Seriously Steve, stick to the fun and funny stuff and quit the minutiae.”

Ugh, THIS! I am not going to say that this dude (Arie) isn’t obviously a total douche, but the way you built up to this reveal was totally misleading and lame. I understand wanting to get everything right and have your information be accurate–I don’t get why unraveling this story is something you think your readers would care about, or find shocking. You are essentially treating douchebags and fame whores like they are celebrities, which if I recall correctly goes against everything your site claims to be. You are giving them the attention they want by digging around in their past–even if that attention is negative. Again, it makes you look like you care–and you spend an inordinate amount of time claiming that you do not, at all, really, you just get the info. You mock the message board people who think the show is for real, and yet here you are actively digging for information on this guy and trying to sort it all out like it’s some big scandal. *shrugs*

I am sure this will be written off as haters hating, but honestly, I don’t claim to hate or love this site–just making an observation after reading it for a few seasons.

35. maxi

May 28, 2012 at 6:49 AM

Anyone looking for a hilarious recap site, check this one:

36. jawbreaker

May 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Lady Veneers! lol
    She does lick them often! I wonder when she had them done!

37. monasez

May 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM

@maxi…thanks for the link, that guy tells it like it is (well, I agree with him anyway)

Am I the only one who thinks Emily is a shallow, selfish, two-faced goldigger?

38. aatxcutie

May 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

@monasez you seem to have Emily pegged just right. This is the worst season ever. She’s not a sweet southern girl, she’s a bitch when she wants to be and now I can see why she and Brad didn’t work out. Brad was man enough to stand up to her and say no, and little miss Emily didn’t like being told what not to do. NARCISSIST PATROL

Blahhhh ,

39. coltsgirl8

May 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Emily and her whole lightly dabbing at the corners of her eyes southern belle routine is driving me nuts. And if she’s so overly protective of her daughter, she’d not choose to plaster her all over her reality show. Give me a darn break.

40. Dianne

May 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I feel sorry for every one of those guys (other than Arie and Kalon of course). Emily is one witch-beotch! It’s all about her, her, her, and if her “boys” don’t act the way she wants them to, then it’s bye-bye. Seriously, she’s as transparent at cellophane!

41. monasez

May 29, 2012 at 1:28 PM

@aatxcute, thanks I see I’m in good company now 😉

@coltsgirl, dabbing at crocodile tears…that’s a first!

@Dianne, she makes cellophane look cloudy.

42. hurricaneemily

June 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Okay. I have been trying to find this article for a long time because I saw a link to it on it on another site but it was broken. So finally, I found it.

Alright, so Arie has this “shady” past. Someone tells you he went on the show because “he knew he was gonna win”. This is high school stuff and all of these people are in their early 20s. Well, I when I was 30 I knew a lot of people in their early 20s, I even dated a guy who was 10 years younger than me. Didn’t work out but that’s because, well, he was 20 and I was 30. I’m still a good person though and I was then too. I just happened to go through a period of time when I was hanging with people much younger than me.

And having hung out with all those people when I was in a similar situation, I know most of them are gossipy children with no integrity whatsoever. He was probably hanging out with them because a few of them were connected to the racing circuit. Anything these people say IS hearsay. You heard it come out of their mouths. You didn’t witness it.

I’m not saying for sure that they did lie but it doesn’t add up for me how a man’s character can change so much in one year that he’s in love with a woman with children and ready to be a dad to being a reckless sexaholic with no regard for the relationships of his friends.

I also read on “The Hollywood Gossip” (not the most reliable source but I don’t see why they would lie about it) that bachelorette contestants are required to turn over their cell phones although an exception was made for one contestant because it was mandatory for his work. If that’s true, Arie definitely wasn’t texting anyone while on the show so that’s already a questionable piece of information right there. Here’s the article where the cellphone rule is mentioned:

Also, if Cassie has been trying to get Arie to go on the show for years and it is likely if he thinks he can win now, he probably thought he could then, why did he choose this year? And if he did say he was in it for the win, how awful is Cassie Lambert for colluding with him to manipulate Emily to get him to the end?

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m not saying for sure that these people lied to you. Everything you wrote could be 100% true which would mean, at least going into the show, Arie was a douche. But what do you think about him now that you believe he developed genuine feelings for Emily while on the show (as you mentioned in your last vlog)? Still a total douche?