Not a ton of “Reader Emails” and “Dr. Reality Steve” questions, but enough to get you through your day. I think. Enjoy these and send in any more that you’d like for next week’s column at email@example.com.
I’ve been loving your 90210 discussions lately. There’s no doubt in my mind that the best episode ever was 1991′s “U4EA”. The whole thing was so hysterical – the entire rave, Steve and Andrea driving all over trying to “exchange an egg”, David puking in Donna’s car. Of course, not to mention sociopath Emily Valentine slipping U4EA into Brandon’s drink, and super-high Brando writhing all over the top of his car. And then his car gets stripped when he gets it the next day. Seriously the best episode ever – Brandon learned so many lessons.
This is my favorite hour of tv – ever so slightly topping the OC episode where Marissa shoots Trey. Thoughts?
Comment: A memorable episode yes, but definitely not the best they ever had. It’s impossible to rank the Top 5 best episodes because it’s so subjective, but here are my 5 most memorable episodes in no particular order:
1) Brenda Walsh being a giant bitch. Oh wait, that was every episode she was in. Lets change that to any episode involving Brenda and Donna in France and Brenda having that fling with Dean Cain, which gave way to the worst French accent ever uttered on television. “Reeeeek”
2) David Silver banging Ariel in the limo, then Donna getting in the car and seeing the condom on the floor and running off crying. There were about 1,000 things wrong with that whole scene, but priceless nonetheless.
3) Antonia Marchette getting gunned down by her own father the night of her wedding day, which subsequently led to Dylan’s departure from the show.
4) In the later seasons, when Dylan found out his father was still alive and part of the Witness Protection Program in Arizona with his new family. Not because the storyline was any good, but because it was completely ridiculous, improbable, and an obvious ratings grab. Not to mention, it downplayed the episode years earlier when Dylan actually lost his dad in the car explosion
5) The very end of Valerie’s first episode where we see her smoking pot out of her bedroom window and realized she was going to be a bigger, badder, sexier version of Brenda.
I am a PhD student at ASU (I recently moved to Tempe from Wisconsin and, let me tell you, Scottsdale is like a whole different world) and absolutely love reading your columns. I look forward to it every week as it breaks up the monotony of reading about Micheal Foucault and other theoretical nonsense. Anyhow, I just wanted to say that I think you picked the PERFECT five songs for “songs that drive you crazy.” I couldn’t agree more. But, thanks to you, I have Rebecca Black’s nasally voice stuck in my head. Damn you! The best part is when she gives a rundown of the days of the week. Hilarious.
I have a non-Bachelor related question for you. I noticed when you were introducing the girls that were cast on Sean’s season a few week’s ago, you mentioned that Kristy Kaminski had wound up on TheDirty.com. I had never heard of the website but checked it out. (Lo and behold, it originated in Scottsdale!) I think this website is fascinating (in a I-feel-horrible-for-even-looking-at-this sort of way) and am wondering if you know how it originated. It just seems like such an odd, mean-spirted, yet fascinating concept.
Feel free to disregard this if it is totally off topic.
Have a great weekend and Thanksgiving!
Comment: I did see Kristy on theDirty.com. And if you scroll down far enough and read the comments, you’ll see her mother come to her defense quite a few times, which was basically the stupidest thing she could’ve done. You think people who write nasty things in comments section give a damn about her mother stepping in trying to defend her. She basically fanned the flames and made it worse.
If you’ve never been to the TheDirty.com, just be warned. It’s not for everyone. I can’t imagine many women who are fans of the “Bachelor/ette” franchise are fans of the TheDirty.com. Just a hunch.
I’ve only been reading your blog for 1/2 a year now. I’ll admit, I was a little obsessed with the Jef + Emily idea during the time when Emily’s season was ending. By the time it was over, I of course already knew who was going to win because I had been reading your Emily Spoilers. I was saddened when you (and then when they) announced their break-up, but I swear that it was only for Ricki. Sorry, that was a pretty random back story of sorts..
ANYWAY. my questions (and I’m sorry if they show that I am so new to your blog):
1. What is your opinion on shows on FOX like Raising Hope, New Girl, and Glee?
2. What is your favorite episode of Friday Night Lights? (I just finished watching the 5th season on Netflix.)
3. Favorite Bachelorette/Bachelor and favorite contestant of all time?
Comment: 1) Never seen the first two and won’t. I watched season 1 of Glee and realized there was zero depth to the show and got bored. Much to cheesy and corny for me, and this coming from a guy who can recite every word to “Grease 2,” so that’s saying something.
2) Yet again, IMPOSSIBLE to pick out a favorite episode of FNL. But here are my top 5 in no particular order (there will be spoilers in this):
-The pilot episode was one of the best pilots ever made.
-The second episode where Coach takes Saracen out to the empty field pretty much sets the tone for the entire rest of the series.
-The episode where Street finds out that Lyla has been sleeping with Riggins. Good stuff.
-(tie) The episode where Street goes to find his son’s mother and tells her he wants to live with her, all while saying goodbye to Riggins, or, the episode where Saracen has to bury his father.
-The series finale. Best series finale in the last 10 years. Perfect way to wrap up the show. Don’t even get me started about the talks of them wanting to do a movie. That would ruin the series finale if you ask me. Please don’t do it.
There were so many other good, memorable episodes it’s impossible to narrow it down to five. I know I’m forgetting quite a few.
3) Emily O’Brien.
Obviously, the people who keep obsessing about an FAQ page do not realize how much work it would be. You would have to start listing questions, then categorize them, then CONSTANTLY edit the whole thing. One of your readers…who has a lot of time on his/her hands, should create it themselves, then link off your site. Please post this suggestion for the next few weeks to allow time to inform many people…LOL
Comment: Exactly. Pretty much the reason it’ll never happen. When does a question become a question that belongs on the FAQ page? When it gets asked twice? Five times? Ten times? Obviously, we know the general ones would be on there, but I would always be adding to it, and it’d be never ending, then eventually, the FAQ page would be 10 pages long, and people will still ask questions that are already in there since they don’t want to go searching through 10 pages to find if it was already asked.
I had a totally random thought the other day. During Jake’s season as the Bachelor, if the staffer hadn’t fallen for Rozlyn, she wouldn’t have gotten kicked off the show. For all we know, she could’ve ended up as Jake’s final one, and they could’ve been happily married by now! What do you think?
Comment: Not a chance. Jake wasn’t Rozlyn’s type. And ummmmm, well, Rozlyn probably isn’t Jake’s type either.
Just read your most recent spoiler for Sean’s final 4 breakdown. Congrats on getting another season out there so early.
For the alumni guest list to Ashley and JP’s wedding, obviously some of them – like the couples and Sean – are there to promote the show. But which of them are also there at the show’s request and which are there because they’re actually good friends with Ashley and JP?
Comment: Well, all the girls that were on Brad’s season that are going are going because they’re Ashley’s friends – Marissa, Michelle, Jackie, Britt, Alli Travis, etc.
Why does ABC make it so difficult to vote for a couple on DWTS? I don’t have this much security on my banking website! I tried signing in using Facebook, but that took me back to ABC’s main page. I then tried signing in with my e-mail address, then I had to answer a security question, then I had to identify those squiggly words, then I had to sign in again with my e-mail and password, only to be told that my name was already in use. I tried again, and this time they told me my password was incorrect. Forgeddaboutit! I hope my 10 other votes were enough to help my favorite couple.
Meanwhile, on a lighter note, thanks for the spoiler on Sean’s final choice. She’s the one I picked out from the picture and bio, so I’m happy with Sean’s choice.
Looking forward to your witty comments on the season…I can relax and enjoy it now.
Comment: I have no idea how the voting works on that show, and I pretty much gave up trying to understand a while ago. It’s a popularity contest every season and whoever gets the most votes wins. Obviously scores don’t matter once you get down to the end because everyone is pretty much getting 29′s or 30′s. It’s kinda ridiculous when you think about it.
I’m a follower of Sean’s sister’s blog MixandMatchMama.com along with following her on Twitter and have been ever since he was on Emily’s season. She’s got some really neat stuff on there and looks like she’s a great cook! Anyway, something caught my eye that I think you should take note of. I noticed a picture on there of Sean with his sister after he got back from filming Emily’s season and a picture with his sister recently after he returned from Thailand. You can tell by just looking at both of these pictures that he’s much more happier this time around. Look at his smile. If you look at the top picture it doesn’t look natural. Almost like he’s being forced to put on a happy face even though deep down inside we know he’s hurting after getting dumped. The second picture he looks like he’s just beaming with happiness and can’t wait to share his love with Catherine (as you say) with the world! What do you think?
Comment: What do I think? I think you need to get yourself a new hobby. Did you just analyze the guy’s smile to determine how happy you THINK he is? Wow. What if there’s a picture out there somewhere of him not smiling? Does that mean he’s miserable in his choice of picking Catherine? Yeah, I think you need to focus your attention elsewhere in life rather than dissecting the grins of reality show contestants over a 5 month span.
Love the column & the spoilers. Don’t care what people say – makes the show more fun to watch. I started my career in production and am endlessly entertained watching how the editors obviously manipulate every show in the Bachelor franchise. The fact that you’ve managed to capitalize on their stupidity makes you pretty awesome in my book.
I just read your column spoiling Sean’s season and figured I’d fill up your inbox with some random questions about other Bachelor people instead of the repetitive crap I’m sure you’re going to get bombarded with…so here’s a few I’ve been wondering about:
1) Ames Brown always posts all kinds of random photos on Twitter from him traveling or hanging out with friends, Bachelor people, business associates, etc. – does he have some sort of personal photographer that follows him around everywhere? I’ve seen people ask this on Twitter but never seen anyone answer about it.
2) I follow Jeremy Anderson on Twitter and recently noticed his bio now says “Dad” and he has a baby in his profile pic. It seems like Wetpaint or someone would have covered that kind of “life event” in one of their “Bachelor News” articles – just wondering if he had a baby, got married, adopted, or whatever that you could update on. He seemed like a nice guy on the show – hope things turned out well for him!
3) One of your reader emails (or tweets, not sure which) had mentioned they thought Ashley & JP’s wedding was being held at the Four Seasons in Hawaii. Ashley S. had tweeted that she’s going to be in Hawaii during that timeframe and had tweeted at the hotel’s account that she’d be staying there. Is the wedding in CA and there’s some sort of Bachelor get together in Hawaii after?
4) How the heck do you think CeCe Frey is still on X Factor? And are you surprised Tate has been ranked in the top 1-2 spots the past 3 weeks? I currently work in the music industry and I just don’t see the appeal of CeCe on ANY level (seems like it’s purely a sympathy vote at this point). The country fan base is obviously strong and keeping Tate in it, but he doesn’t stand out to me when you put him against the country artists who are out right now. I think Carly Rose is the golden girl and am embarrassed to say that I sort of love Emblem 3 and could see them getting signed to at least a development deal. Thoughts?
Thanks again, love the spoilers and the sarcasm. Keep the columns coming!
Comment: 1) I have no idea why every picture of Ames on his Twitter is of himself. I’m sure part of it has to do with him being infatuated with himself because, well, why else would you post that many pictures of yourself.
2) Jeremy has a son that will be 2 in December.
3) The wedding is taking place in Pasadena this Saturday. Ashley Spivey has a new boyfriend and from what I’ve been told, they are vacationing in Maui together after the wedding, and that’s why she tweeted about being in Maui.
4) No idea how CeCe is still on the show. It’s waaaaaay too big for her. Carly Rose will win, and if by some miracle she doesn’t, she will get a deal the second this show is over. As will Emblem3, Diamond White, and Tate Stevens. I don’t see anyone else getting a record deal out of this show except maybe if Simon gives Fifth Harmony a chance since he created them and won’t want to admit failure.
Question for you: Based on looks alone from their pics and only knowing what you know so far about these girls (occupation, location, etc), how would you rank Sean’s final 4 in order for your own final 4? I’ll be curious to see how or if this changes once the season airs.
Comment: I don’t much about them so far, so I’d basically be ranking them on looks alone. I actually think all 4 of them are attractive, but if you’re holding a gun to my head asking me to rank them by looks, my rankings would be as follows:
1) Who can actually know the outcome of the season before it airs? Is it just immediate family such as parents and siblings? Obviously they have to keep it secretive but I’m wondering who can actually know. Wouldn’t Sean’s family know pretty much immediately when it happened because they were in Thailand for the final rose ceremony?
2) Are any bachelor alums members of the wedding party for Ashley and JP? Ashley Spivey, maybe?
3) Do you ever plan on meeting Sean since he lives in the same area as you?
4) After seeing Sean last season and knowing that he seems like a wholesome guy who takes love seriously and has publicly said he only wants to propose once in his life, I can’t help but think he wouldn’t have proposed if he didn’t really think it would last. He’s not obligated to propose because many in the past haven’t so I would think he could choose to just date somebody instead of propose if he didn’t feel confident. Maybe this relationship might actually have a shot. Any thoughts on this?
This totally doesn’t matter, but I remember you saying during his season that Ames only posts pictures of himself on his twitter page and that he’s gotten very pompous. After I saw his name on the guest list in your last column, I thought “Oh, he’s probably over that cause it has been so long since his season” so I went to look and boy was I wrong. ALL of his tweets are pictures of himself. EVERY LAST ONE. Call me crazy, but I think that’s a little much.
Comment: 1) I don’t talk about where I get my info from or how/when/why I get it. I just let people speculate and be wrong.
2) I gotta imagine Ashley Spivey is a bridesmaid. Other than that, I have no idea.
3) Am I planning on it? No. Will it happen? I guess there’s a better chance than not that it could because he does live in the same city as me. If it happens, great. If not, no big deal.
4) I think going into this Sean is definitely a bit more sincere with his intentions than previous Bachelors. Does it mean it will have a different outcome and he’ll become the first one to actually marry the girl he chose? Only time will tell. I will say this: He’s got a better chance than previous guys. How much better? I don’t know.
And yes, Ames does nothing but post pictures of himself on Twitter. I don’t know why, but he does. And he’s been doing it for over a year now. Probably should tell you a little something about the guy.
Did you see Kalon on Dr. Phil? I think its safe to say that your 15 minutes of fame are up when you are on Dr. Phil. Congrats Kalon, that was quick.
Comment: I didn’t see it, but I heard about it. He’s not doing anything that a lot of them haven’t done before. He moved to LA to be in the entertainment world. So have thousands of others. Good luck with that.