HUGE fan of yours since day 1, but I’ve never emailed you. I always liked reading the other ones. Forgive me for the possibly redundant question. When they fly to various places around the world, do they take separate planes all the time? I always wondered if the lead somehow communicates with his/her bachelor/ettes…
Please feel free to say I’m nuts, but Lindsay Yenter resembles Tenley. Slightly less annoying voice, and minus the god-awful dancing, but I see it. Maybe it’s the ‘wholesome’ touch?
Thanks for reading!
Comment: Yes. The lead never flies with the contestants anywhere. They are always separated.
My question is in reading peoples comments, they seem to think Tierra’s behavior is all scripted and she is payed to do so. Do you think this is so, or do you believe like I do that they plant suggestions or ideas and she behaves awful because she is naturally not a nice person?
Comment: Tierra is not being paid to do this. She’s just someone that is a ham and playing up a character for the cameras.
I noticed on Twitter this week someone tweeted Chris Harrison and asked if the women are paid to be on the show. It seems like you once mentioned that they get a couple hundred bucks for every episode they appear in. I was just wondering if you could clear that up for me, please!
Also, has it ever taken this long (six episodes) for the person that was chosen at the end to get a one-on-one date?
Thanks for all your spoilers and behind-the-scenes information. It makes watching so much more interesting. I still can’t get over some of the editing catastrophes that you’ve pointed out this season (with Kacie, Catherine, Desiree, etc.).
Comment: No, that’s “Bachelor Pad.” You make $750 for every episode that you appear on for that show. This show, you’re not paid to be on it, but if you make final four, you are given money to shop.
I don’t remember the winner ever getting a 1-on-1 date later than Catherine has. Jef had his in episode 5 last season, and I believe that was the latest for anyone on the “Bachelorette.”
What is up with all these extreme “dates” this season? First, roller derby and now submerging yourself in super-cold water? The show’s legal counsel needs to spend less time suing you and more time reviewing the activities they are subjecting these contestants to! By the way, Selma has now become my favorite contestant for actually refusing to participate in a Bachelor activity that doesn’t appeal to her.
I have a few questions.
(1) I’m from Houston, so I know a lot of guys like Sean (or like who Sean is trying to be on tv); guys who love (in no particular order): family, football, God, and money. That said, if you really only want to be engaged once, it doesn’t seem like the Bachelor is the show for you. Do you think Sean is more sincere in his desire to actually find a wife than previous bachelors or is he just saying what the producers are prompting him to say like every other bachelor?
(2) I only started reading your blog in the last year, and I have noticed that you seem to have a particular antipathy to Melissa Rycroft. Is that just because she is incredibly pedestrian yet continues to thrust her everyday life into the spotlight or is there something more to it?
(3) This may be more of a Dr. Reality Steve question. Regarding the pinkish shimmery bikini Tierra was wearing during the polar plunge: did that look completely slutty from a guy’s point of view or did it just seem appealingly sexy?
Thanks for your blog and good luck with the lawsuit.
Comment: 1) Probably the one thing that confuses me most about Sean this season. He’s a hard core man of faith, and of course everyone says they only want to be married once, but he just didn’t seem like someone who’d need to go on this show to find someone. Especially when none of the “Bachelors” have ever married the final girl they picked.
2) Just don’t care for her. I’m amazed at how many people ask me why I don’t like Melissa. Does there have to be a reason? Some people just rub me the wrong way and she’s one of them.
3) I didn’t even notice it.
Just two random things… 1st ~ on last nights show when they were showing the Little Ball of Hate with mascara running all down her face looking like something out of a pyscho thriller, I immediately text my daughter that a still frame of her in that state would be your cover photo for today’s recap. Imagine my delight when I logged on. I know my Reality Steve
2nd ~ You mentioned that you have no idea why girls put perfume on their wrists. Well, let me break it down for you. Pulse points. Our pulse points stay warmer than the rest of our body and perfume last longer when applied directly to them. That’s why you’ll see girls dabbing perfume on their wrists, behind their ears and even on the back of their knees. Your welcome! (I know that the very word “pulse” can initiate a sarcastic come back ~ bring it).
Thanks for the entertainment all these years! Good luck with the lawsuit. Hope you counter sue and get back at least what you’ve shelled out and then some ~ <3 <3
P.S. What the hell does "totes" mean
Comment: Wow. Pulse points. About as useless of information as I’ll ever get…ha ha.
“Totes” is short for “totally” (you know, because God forbid a 7-letter word is too daunting to pronounce you must make it a 5-letter word) and might be the most annoying word a woman over the age of 12 can use as part of her vocabulary nowadays. You sound ridiculous, people. Just stop.
Greetings from Traunstein, Germany! This time difference is a bitch trying to keep up with the shows, as well as your blog, in addition to being unable to stream it through ABC’s site thanks to international copyright/licensing laws (I had to resort to buying the season through iTunes). But it is pretty much the highlight of my day, seeing what crazy and insightful commentary you have to offer.
First question: What is Catherine’s views on religion and faith? I believe I read somewhere that she bordered on atheism, and if that’s true, then its about as counter-Christian you can get, especially when you have a Bachelor propogating his faith so much on television. The Bible commands Christians to marry other Christians. So just curious about that.
Second: (mostly an observation) That was the most B.S. rappelling I’ve ever seen. The way they were doing it is pretty much stupid-proof. The device that they were using is a Gri-Gri. You use a lever to lower yourself. Unless that lever is pulled all the way back, you can’t fall. I would have loved to see both of them trying to lower themselves with an ATC instead. On that one, if you let go, you will fall. All the way, unless someone has you on Fireman’s Belay. As for Little Ball of Hate, there’s no way she had hypothermia. You don’t get hypothermia from 2 seconds in the water, especially while you are running around. I’m betting (and I’ve seen this from my EMT days) that she was cold, and convinced herself it was hypothermia. Enter the shakes and her “Nuh uhs” when asked questions. I’ve done my own fair share of polar plunges (for charity, not out of sheer ego-boosting) in equally cold weather. Yes, it’s pretty damn cold. But I’ve stayed in water like that for up to a minute. I would also like to point out that while all the other girls grabbed their robes, she didn’t. Biggest attention whore if I ever saw one. So any pain, suffering, and general misery she may have had, she has only herself to blame.
Last question: Is Fleiss straight? Why the hell does he keep showing Sean in various stages of undressing? It’s really creepy.
Thanks for reading and good luck on the rest of the season! I always look forward to your behind-the-scenes scoops!
Comment: 1) I have no idea what Catherine’s religion is. I just know whatever it is, she’s certainly not on Sean’s level. Maybe she’ll get there at some point, but she isn’t there now.
2) You are speaking “climbing,” which I know nothing about. I’ll take your word for it. And after talking with an EMT buddy of mine who watched the show Tuesday night, he agreed. She didn’t have hypothermia. She was just cold and played it up for attention. He said, “They would keep her in a hospital and monitor her vitals if she had HT. You can have mild HT where no hospital is required, but I doubt she had any. Just typical frostbite and low body temperature. We get that playing in the snow. So she highly exaggerated hers.” Any other EMT’s wanna chime in on your opinion of Tierra’s performance Tuesday, feel free.
3) Well, he was married to a woman for a long time before a recent divorce. I assume he is. Not to mention the stories that have been told throughout the years of him creeping on some of the contestants at the WTA after parties. But hey, what do I know, huh?
I know you’ve heard this a million times, but what’s one more, right? Thanks for all you do here. I know I’m one of many out there that wouldn’t watch without the spoilers.
My question for you: Do you think Ashlee had already talked to Sean about her marriage at this point and they are just leaving it off? Or do you think it’s something we’ll see her bring up later? I can definitely see why he doesn’t pick her, but I can also see him getting upset that she waited this long to tell him about that. On the other hand I can see producers just editing the crap out of it and not even including it thus far.
Also, keep up with telling us the poor editing that you’re seeing! I notice a few things but I don’t always catch them and love to see the crazy things they try to make everyone believe here. (watched the Doug video in your last blog and that’s just downright mean!)
Comment: I believe AshLee tells Sean about her marriage on her 1-on-1 in St. Croix this Monday.
Unfortunately the Doug story is one I’ve heard at least 4 different times over the years. And this goes back 10-12 seasons. I’ve heard that tactic used so many times, I’ve even forgot who initially told me.
1. Since Sean is looking for a wife who likes the outdoors, rolls with the punches, not afraid to get dirty, etc, why in the world did he want to marry Emily last season??
2. Why does it seem like every one-on-one date features some lighthearted/fun event during the day, and then some heavy/open-up talking session during the evening? They literally all seem the same to me.
3. I’m assuming you saw all the superbowl commercials. What did you think of the GoDaddy one with the supermodel and the nerd? I’ve never been so disgusted by a kiss in my life.
Comment: 1) Because he was stuck in the bubble. He has said since then that he realized Emily wasn’t the one for him and it’d never work.
2) It’s because they are all the same. Every season. Just different people.
3) It was painful to watch. And listen to.
Not for ‘reader emails’, just a comment not a question. Was watching Natalie Getz’ Spreecast with 50ShadesofDrunk, and she admitted that her entire persona was producer driven! They saw the 50 Shades book on her night stand, which she hadn’t even FINISHED reading, and told her they should run with the “I want to tie up Sean” gag! They told her things like, “do you want to go home??”, when she objected, and essentially forced that persona on her, when she hadn’t even finished the book or expressed serious interest in it. She told them she thought it was ‘okay’.
Not telling you ANYTHING you don’t already know, of course, but just wanted to say that, wow, you are so right! It STILL shocks me how these personalities come together on the show. Amazed!
Comment: Oh, this can definitely be a “Reader Email.” I don’t see why not. Just more proof against the show and how contrived and manipulated it is. I can only tell people so much before they start to tune me out. But when the contestants themselves are telling you, maybe then it’ll start to sink in.
Love your posts. Hate not being able to mention to my wife while she watches show.
I have three topics
1. You say it’s Lindsay’s to lose as far as the next Bachelorette, but what I could see a groundswell for support for Sarah, just based on her touching lament as she was herded out by Sean.
At least on the male show, there have been times when non-top three finishers became the Bachelor by acclimation (Bob Guiney) and I think there are guys who would want to show lovely Sarah that they would love to date her.
2. Robyn, the lawsuit protector, may have gotten farther than any previous African American candidate, but Catherine looks Asian. Is it possible she could also give plausible deniability to the franchise that they’re not just for caucasians?
3. Besides Tierra, which contestants are the most likely to be brought to Bachelor Pad. I think Sarah is a natural there if she doesn’t get the Bachelorette nod.
Comment: 1) Sarah has zero chance of being the next “Bachelorette.”
2) Well, she is half Filipino.
3) Lets keep this in mind: “Bachelor Pad 4″ technically hasn’t been picked up by the network yet. Still plenty of time for it to happen, but there’s no guarantee there will be a season. But from Sean’s season, I could see Lesley, Daniella, AshLee, Selma, and maybe someone like Jackie doing it.
If Sean chose Lindsay and Catherine was second do you think Catherine would have had a chance as the next bachelorette? Or do you think the producers would have gone for someone else because of her ethnicity?
Comment: Of course she would’ve had a chance. Any girl that finishes in the top 4 is “considered,” it’s just that there are varying degrees of how seriously one is being considered. It’s mentioned to all of them, but some more serious than others.
Hey Steve.. not sure if you’ve already done questions for tomorrow’s column, but thought I’d try it anyhow.
I know you’ve talked in the past about producer/lead interaction, about how close they get because they are always together and how much time they spend with one another. If I remember right, you’ve also said that a producer won’t share anything with the lead as far as what goes on in the house among the contestants. However, if Sean were to ask one of the producers what the deal was with Tierra and where all the drama stems from.. would they really keep their mouth shut or even lie about it? I know that these people don’t care about the lead or the contestants and just want to make a show… but it’s hard to think that if the lead were in a room alone with say Cassie or the caveman and asked a simple yes or no question about the Tierra situation, that they wouldn’t answer. I mean, do these people really not have a heart at all? The poor man looks like an incredible fool on national TV!
Comment: I guess they could ask. Maybe they have, but from what I know about producers and handlers, their job is to not divulge stuff that could affect the outcome in any way. They’ll definitely lead people in certain directions, but giving black-and-white answers I believe is a no-no in that profession.
I normally don’t do this, but the more and more I read your site (I’ve been reading since brads 2nd season) and without your spoilers, I wouldn’t watch!
Many people have said that you were given the incorrect ending so abc can find out who is giving you your information.. So I guess what my question is ..do you get pictures or anything that confirms that he picks Catherine? I guess since he’s only had 1 date with her ..I just see so much more chemistry with him and Lindsey .. I’m sure that’s how abc wants to make it.
I really hope they make Lindsey the next bachelorette!
Thanks for doing what you do!
Comment: Sean is engaged to Catherine. You will see that March 11th. It happens every season because people want to pretend they have some sort of scoop, or grab attention to their blog or site. What I reported on Nov. 26th is what happened. They got engaged in Thailand and are still engaged today. Any story suggesting otherwise is flat out wrong.
One reason why people love your writing is you are honest and open about yourself and everything. So I have some tough questions for you. Please answer truthfully to the best of your knowledge.
1. You seem to like Lindsay a lot. She’s 24. If for some reason she expressed interest in you and started flirting with you would you ask her out or is she too young for you at 37?
2. Would you date/marry a vegan (like Catherine)?
3. If ABC offered you a full time high paying job for the show with them like head producer, would you take it? If not, what would you say to them in response?
4. Would you date/marry a girl who was perfect in every way for you but was allergic to dogs?
5. This is just a logistical question. Des said she’s from a poor family but it says she’s from Newport Beach. That’s like a super ritzy area. Did she grow up there or just lives there now?
Thanks Steve! Keep rocking my world.
Comment: 1) I would not be interested in Lindsay as someone I’d ever seriously consider dating. No offense to her, but I honestly don’t know if I could ever date anyone from this franchise.
3) No. They wouldn’t offer it anyway. I have no background in TV. I highly doubt I’m getting offered the head producer job on a network television show. I’d tell them to f**k off. I don’t like these people and they certainly don’t like me. Lets keep it that way.
4) It’d never work, so no.
5) Grew up in Ohio. Just works in Newport Beach.
Send all emails to: firstname.lastname@example.org. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you soon.