The Bachelorette 9 - Desiree

The Bachelorette Desiree Recap Including Ratings News, Jason & Molly’s Podcast, & Chris Harrison Creeping Me Out

Man, another punch to the gut yesterday. Granted, it was old news, but still not something I was giddy to have to hear about again. Of course, a few weeks ago I’m dealing with the crushing blow that Jennifer Love Hewitt not only got knocked up, but then compounded that mistake by getting engaged. Cuz as we all know, that’s such a good reason to marry someone. And then to hear reports that she wants this D-list co-star of hers to have a bigger role next season on her awful show because he put a bun in her oven in real life is even more hilarious. This guy has no idea what he’s gotten himself into with her. Good luck, buddy. You’ll need it. Anyway, back to my point. I’m glad that because WetPaint ran the story yesterday about Emily O’Brien getting engaged, some of you felt the need to point it out to me. Yes, I was aware already. She posted her engagement ring on Twitter the day after her birthday earlier this month. It wasn’t fun to see it then, and it certainly wasn’t fun to be reminded of it again yesterday, but hey, thanks for lookin’ out for me. I’ll be all right. Gimmie about 6 months. You know the most bizarre part of my JLH/Emily O’Brien fantasy? Ben Flajnik made out with both of them. So I guess in a way, Ben Flajnik should be looked at as a modern day hero. At least in my eyes.

Get your “Reader Emails” and “Dr. Reality Steve” questions in sooner rather than later. Usually I give you up until Thursday morning for something possibly making it into that column, but I think I’m gonna change that to Wednesday night now. So if you have anything you want to ask, get it in today and tomorrow and I can pretty much guarantee it’ll show up in Thursday’s column.

Did you see who’s got a new podcast? Jason and Molly have jumped into the podcasting world, and they are posting twice a week talking about all things marriage, kids, dating, and even reality TV. The first podcast they did you can listen to below, and it was quite interesting some of the things they said about their season:

Interesting to hear Molly say what producers told her to do on a group date, how much time total she and Jason spent together during the course of all of filming, and how ridiculous even THEY think it is to propose to someone after 8 weeks, and this is coming from an actual successful couple from the show. However, Jason & Molly’s success is not the same as the success Trista & Ryan and Ashley & JP had. And I say that because those two couples met on the show, got engaged at the end, and are still married to this day. They did it the totally bizarre way and are definitely the exception rather than the norm. Yes, Jason and Molly did meet on the show, but they dated for a whole year after the show and before getting engaged, which is entirely different and the way most normal couples should court each other. Take a listen to their podcast, as they surprisingly reveal some of the behind-the-scenes stuff that the producers make contestants do. Makes for a good listen.

Last week James had his conference call with the media, and this guy couldn’t sound more happy with the way everything turned out. Here’s a guy that’s about to get crucified by the gossip police next week’s episode, and he’s got nothing but good things to say about his time on the show and friends that he made. Pretty funny actually. I guess James has already been out on his boat with chicks galore spraying them with bottles of champagne and having threesomes with Mikey. Must be livin’ the life in Chicago. Just remember James, pimpin’ aint easy. Be careful. You can’t be boating with girls, and on Tinder, and on At First Sight, and on Match.com all at the same time. At some point, it’s probably gonna catch up with you. Just lookin’ out my man.

Quite an interesting interview Chris Harrison gave to the LA Times last week, trying to sell Desiree’s season, even though ratings are down, and even going as far as to say maybe they misread what fans wanted. Sure, Desiree is nice and innocent and all, and people certainly felt bad after Sean dumped her, but apparently that doesn’t necessarily translate into what people want to see. It’s funny he mentions her not having an “edge,” which she certainly doesn’t, and maybe that’s what viewers are clamoring to see. Then he gave this interview to the Huffington Post that was downright weird. I mean, I know he wants to promote his new app and all, but did you see this Q&A?

Are you going to use the app to meet some women?

Definitely. We had this beta version up and I’ve gotten addicted to it, I have to say I’m sitting around at home, watching all these videos. I find it as compelling as I find “The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette.” I think people are gonna love it for the same reasons — you can’t take your eyes off of it. You get going and you just can’t stop.

Is anyone else the least bit creeped out Chris Harrison admits to sitting around at home watching all these videos of women on his own dating app? Anybody? Just me? Oh ok. Please, ANY women that Chris Harrison sends a direct message to or starts sexting with, pass that conversation on to me. It would be greatly appreciated.

Last night’s ratings came out, and for the first time this season, the “Bachelorette” didn’t have to compete against the “Voice,” and their audience grew – a little. They’ve basically been averaging 5.9 million viewers a week, with a 1.9 rating in the 18-49 demo. Last night, they drew 6.4 million, while remaining the same with a 1.9. I guess that’s better, but the numbers are still a good 1-to-1.5 million total viewers lower than what previous seasons consistently have drawn. Can’t wait til the tweets start coming today, “Thanks BachelorNation! You helped us reach our highest ratings yet this season!” Is it true? Yes. But is it something to jump up and down and cheer about? Absolutely not. Spin control.

And oh yeah, last Tuesday I tweeted this: “Oh, Brooks Brooks Brooks…” and plenty of you have asked what it meant or will I be addressing it. Yes. In due time.

1. JovisMom

June 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I am not even watching this season anymore… I am so bored and over it… Great to read the recaps though!

2. Sunnyside422

June 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Well once again, I relied on the book I am currently reading to relieve this boring episode. Did not see much of the ice castle exchange with various guys. Just didn’t seem worth concentrating on.

As to Michael…what a major pussy! He definitely should watch this episode and realize he comes across as someone whose lover is actually preferring a woman! Strange.

Ben…well props he did control himself, but I was waiting for him to reach across the table and grab Michael’s neck! It would have been well deserved. For sure 95% of these men are there to promote themselves in some way or another.

From what I did see of the episode, do like Chris and how he is portrayed. Just not thinking he is engaging enough to be the lead. Sean was a bore on Emily’s season and carried that same personality to his season. Who know if Chris can liven up when and if it is his turn.

Good recap Steve and as always, had me laughing. Thanks!

3. jsocial12

June 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Nothing about this show is authentic. If it wasn’t for Reality Steve I would actually think that Ben was a big douche because of what he said when he didn’t get the rose. Lucky, I’m not that naive.

You don’t think Ben was driven around for hours and hours, with the producers feeding him alcohol and recording him non-stop for 2-3 hours while they drove him around, only to use little snippets of things he said in a 2-3 hour time period? Cause I do.

I also think Ben tried to leave twice during the date – The first time, when he walked out during dinner, I firmly believe he tried to leave but the producers refused to drive him home until Des handed out the rose. Then, I think he tried to leave after he didn’t get the rose and the producers made him stay so that Des could come and talk to him. Hence, why he immediately ran to the car and said “Go.” He’d probably been trying to get them to “Go” for hours. Poor guy.

And how DUMB was Des for not stopping that whole awkward conversation at dinner? I would of been sooo uncomfortable and AWKWARD both in the hot tug and at dinner, but Des just sits there with a stupid look on her face; clearly enjoying Ben’s discomfort. What an idiot.

4. crushonspivey

June 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Michael has had a bigger hard-on for Ben than he had for Des the entire season. It has been amusing to watch. The guy has been entirely fixated on the dude, and over-analyzes every word he says. I actually think he forgot that Des was on the 2 and 1 date for a while, because he focused his entire attention on Ben.

How Des kept him after that shameful display was beyond me. Lost some respect for her after that. Michael lost all respect weeks ago. What an asshat.

5. karynr

June 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM

The recaps are so much better than the actual show this season. I’m really bored but still watching. I look forward to Tuesday versus Monday a lot more. I made it up to the cocktail party that didn’t happen, and I’ll bet Drew was a Boy Scout, possibly a Brownie and Girl Scout when he was younger. He’s kind of cute in a feminine, little boy way, and his indignation about James is really funny.

I think Chris might be able to hold the lead. He has a lot of personality, I think. Last night, by the end of the date, I wanted Chris to be the next Bach. He seems full of fun, personality and just a nice guy….a possible keeper. He’s one of the few who doesn’t fall into the meathead, hair gelitis or uber feminine category.

Ben reminds me of a car salesman.

6. karynr

June 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Or politician.

7. AJ13

June 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Yeah, this should be the part where I rip Michael for acting like a complete douche…but lets be honest, he couldn’t have done it to a better person. The problem with Ben is that he let Michael bully him around and didn’t stand up for himself. Michael, being a district atty, was way more focused on the importance of being right than he was on building a relationship with Des, and it showed. Michael browbeat Ben into submission, but at what expense? They both looked like losers last night.

8. rile9995

June 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM

This show is so boring this season. Desiree is sweet but she was shafted with this sad group of guys. The matching colored hoodies and scarves were a huge turn off! Private concert AGAIN, what a surprise. She should have sent both Ben and Michael home but I’m sure she wasn’t allowed to. Love your site Steve, hating this season though. They need new producers and to change up the show. “Sledding is like falling in love” made me gag! It’s not Desiree’s fault, it’s the show’s fault for continuing to used an old, tired “formula” – same dates, phrases and scandals – just different faces. This season the men are terrible and very hard to get invested. Did they choose sub par guys because Desiree came from a lower socio-economic level? She could do better on her own!

9. crushonspivey

June 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM

rile9995, it is not just the myriad of matching hoodies and scarves, it is also the huge number of v-necks t’s these guys wear.

I swear, if they are not in a hoodie, they are in a v-neck T. Sometimes both. The Bach franchise obviously bought all on their clothes at JCrew or Banana Republic. If they didn’t, they should have worked a deal with one of those companies for a volume discount and product placement. It is that obvious.

10. windsurfer

June 25, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Thanks for a funny recap.

I think the intent with respect to her hairdo for the rose ceremony was in keeping with the country, and the dress (and cape) itself. It was hard to tell for sure, but I believe it was a braided chignon, which was entirely appropriate for the formality of her outfit.

Steve, generally I appreciate your comments and your humor, but I have to say that sometimes you stretch to find things to ridicule about this show — which surprises me because frankly the producers already give you plenty. Her hair would be an example.

I’m not crazy about Michael, and his cross-examining Ben last night sealed his fate (eventually) but I wasn’t sorry to see Ben sent home last night and I have no sympathy for the “I’m only here for the Bachelor/ette” statement as an excuse for being rude to others. Yes, yes, I know you believe the producers encourage conflict, and you may be right, but let’s face it — some of these characters they dig up for this show don’t need any excuse to be putzes.

June 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Is it me, or is the casting of the men a kind of Jersey Shore vs The Kardashians? Plus a dash of Queer Eye. Here’s an idea…. If they’re going to cast based on Reality Show Genres, Next time try casting some actual real men. I’d go for something more like Survivorman vs America’s Deadliest Catch!

12. bigfatwoman

June 25, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I disagree with you Steve….you’re making too many editing excuses for Ben. The guy is a major douche and was called out on it and didn’t know what to do. He wasn’t being gentlemanly….he just didn’t have anything to say to stand up for himself.

Michael is just plain mean. The comments about Ben being an absentee father and it reminding him of his own Dad….sealed it for me. What a hateful *ick.

Des should have stepped in at some point. She seems like a real sweet girl….with no backbone and not a whole lot of personality.

I started following James on Twitter from the first episode….until he started prosletyzing deep thoughts. Like the guy is some kind of guru. I stopped following him but checked last night only to see lots of women proclaiming their undying love for him and him confirming that the other guys were just jealous of him….or as he says….jel.

Worst season ever. Something’s gotta change.

13. olivia

June 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM

ABC . . . please note:

I believe the problem with the show is casting a “lead” from the previous season. They had their chance to sponge off ABC their entire season and they simply lost. Don’t bring back a loser. Please introduce us to someone new who deserves a chance to travel around the world, outlandish dates, kissing 10 people withing a 2 hour time period, etc. SCREW THE LOSERS, bring in new blood!

14. Athena

June 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I know I’m in the minority of “1” here, but I actually kind of liked Michael’s outing of Ben. That’s not to say that I completely buy the villain script they are foisting on him, or on James next week, or even Bryden last week. Gee, is there a pattern here or what??!!!

15. Athena

June 25, 2013 at 3:35 PM

In terms of the low ratings – do you really think it would make all that much difference if Desiree had more “zing” or the guys had more sex appeal? I think it’s just that the format is so old and tired and never gets updated. I think their best best, short of a major overhaul, is to move more to the satire/Burning Love type of production. Unfortunately, the more things need to change, the more they seem to stay the same. I’m curious to see if Fleiss et al can make the transition – he’s certainly developed a winning formula up to now, and I have to think (as much as I do not respect him in other ways) that he’s more than a one-trick-pony.

16. Athena

June 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Sorry I apparently have diarrhea of the mouth, but back to the Michael/Ben thing and everyone’s disdain for Michael’s aggressiveness – did anyone notice that somewhere in the middle of the dinner confrontation, the wine changed from white to red, and then back to white? It makes me wonder just how much editing was done of Michael too? I have the feeling that there was a lot of filler that we missed and things not in the chronological order that might have changed how people perceived Michael. Did anyone else notice the wine change?

17. freeasabird

June 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I noticed the wine change too, Athena. A couple of times.

I’m actually liking this season. Finally a lead that I can somewhat relate to. No body work done on her. I also like her better without bangs. Opens up her face more. The producers probably suggested it as it gave them more ways for the stylist to go with her hair?

I think it would have been me that walked away from the dinner table before Ben. I would have let them both go.

Loved her hair, dress and cape.

18. freeasabird

June 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM

As to the final 4 survey – the one on the other site. No one chose the final 4, 3 or 2 correctly. slaurae and sunnyside had Brooks. 85% had Diogo as one of their choices. The rest (of the 14-15 we had at the time) were all pretty much evenly divided.

Anyone else having problems logging in? Sometimes clearing my cache and cookies doesn’t even help.

19. sarcasm

June 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Michael acted exactly how I would expect her brother to act in that situation. In her interview with someone she said that she wanted to question Ben and she wanted Michael there to support her. So, she looks at Michael like her brother is my assumption. She must appreciate her brother for his obnoxious behavior and she appreciates the same behaviors in Michael.
    Am I the only one that thinks the dating app is just a way for Chris Harrison to hook up with women? If the app is from the Bachelor, and no straight, single men are watching the Bachelor, then what men are using the app (besides Chris H)?

20. elizabeth82

June 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Please not any of these guys for next Bachelor!

21. wavecatchingmom

June 25, 2013 at 9:52 PM

going with the editing theme… did you notice how much Michael was eating? it seemed like they ate, then took a break, then ate again? well, he did anyways, like a refugee. the whole thing does seem so tired and done, I hope they do take some advice and get better quality people. I’ve only been watching for a few years so I can’t compare too much with past seasons, but I definitely feel like the dudes are not there for her at all. I feel like Emily was trashier than Des, so that’s not the problem… she’s just boring, says the same dopey “i’m stoked, fairy tale, yada yada yada.”

22. Sunnyside422

June 26, 2013 at 6:35 AM

I listened to Molly and Jason’s pod cast and found it interesting how little time they really spent together during the show. And also her confirming how much producer manipulation went on during her date with Jason.

No wonder the words coming out of the lead’s mouth as well as the guys remains the same each and every season. These ;producers need to tear up the scripts and start from scratch!

The men cast each season is getting skankier. However, what self respecting man would and could take time away from their jobs for approximately 10 weeks, which includes all the appearances they need to make, promoting this lame show. This is the crop they had to work with. I have to say, this bunch is also the most unattractive group in many seasons.

What in the heck was someone thinking casting Juan Pablo? The poor man has had zero time on camera and less time speaking! Again I say, poor Des having to deal with them all.

Chris has potential and probably the most physically attractive but perhaps not lively enough for Des. He needs to can the face on nose to nose way he kisses her. But perhaps he is very uncomfortable in those moments with cameras and numerous people gawking at them.

23. jsocial12

June 26, 2013 at 6:55 AM

I love Molly and Jason’s podcast, but I don’t get it when Molly said they only spent 24 hours together over the course of the season. She had a one-on-one date, a hometown date and an overnight date, not to mention the multiple group dates and the “last chance” date. That has to be way over 24 hours, even if they are only counting the time they spent alone together.

24. kaster

June 26, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Interest in this show is severely waning! I recorded it to watch later, fast forwarded most of it and somehow didn’t record the ending which would normally bother me, but couldn’t have cared less. I think I’m done.

Stopped following Sean Lowe on Twitter, particularly after he’s now promoting Jef Holm for the next bachelor. He has to be kidding that guy is a child!!!

25. sarah771978

June 26, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I just had the best idea!!! So the Supreme Court overturned DOMA today, and the Prop 8 decision is standing that gay marriage is legal in California.
    There are a bunch of gay guys this season…
    It only follows that they take one of the runners up this season, and host the first ever gay Bachelor!

Great idea right? Mix it up a bit?
    And they would be sticking to their track record of always picking a lead from the previous season!

26. Sunnyside422

June 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Sarah, I nominate Drew!

27. ksarn

June 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM

My daughter and I have been “bonding” over watching the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise for the past 6 or 7 years. However, I have to say that we very nearly dropped out during the Ben-the-Doofus-With-Weird-Hair season, then decided to give it another chance when local Dallas boy Sean was announced. While we were skeptical (and still are) about the longevity of his relationship with Catherine, we tuned back in again to see the Des season despite her limited vocabulary and weird two front teeth.

What a snooze-fest! Honestly, we don’t even bother tuning in anymore because both of us were nodding off less than 10 minutes into the show. While most everyone can agree that there is some cuteness factor about Des, she’s about as exciting as watching paint dry.

And the guys??? Please…how much more effeminate can any of them get? Every group interaction with them is like watching bad audition tapes from a remake of “Brokeback Mountain”. I kept waiting for one or all of them to start wailing, “I can’t quit you!!!!!” as they were dragged off to the waiting limo.

At any rate, I eagerly await my Tuesday noon-ish text from Reality Steve every week alerting me that his recap is posted. That’s the ONLY way I keep up with this crap known as “The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette”. Keep up the great work Steve!!!!!

28. youdonotknowme

June 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Steve, The “hot tug” cracked me up! And why would Des want to take Michael and Ben on the 2 on 1 date? I know, because basically they are the same person, so she wanted to see who would be the better choice of the two to keep stringing along while she has to wait for the end to choose Brooks.

Michael did what he set out to do, but he seemed to forget that Des was even there. Ben seemed to be totally out of his privileged element and just did not know how to defend himself. Most likely he has totally bought the idea that his mom/family has been telling him: that he is the best single father in the world! He just seems unable to relate to the other men, because he thinks he is so much better than them. I blame his family for making him like this. I hope he can be a better father after this. I am not saying he is not a good one now, but hopefully this experience will make him a better one.

And ugg. I can not believe that a man would wear a hoodie with a scarf! Who dresses these men? They look ridiculous.

Does anyone else think of Whoville when they look at Kasey?

29. jbayjason

June 26, 2013 at 4:43 PM

realitysteve, thanks for the spoilers, only way the show can be watched is if you know the ending, i think. during chris’ one-on-one date, i could have sworn that chris was slow dancing holding the wrong hand positions, making desiree have to put her left hand up and right hand around his waste as opposed to the normal was of woman holding right hand up and left hand – it looked very awkward, did anyone else catch that?

30. jbayjason

June 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM

SARAH – GREAT IDEA!! I sure hope the next Bachelor will finally be looking for a male partner. That should shake it up a little and get the viewers back, not to mention it is soooooooo overdue!

31. freeasabird

June 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I’d watch a same sex season. Heck I know that would bring back the women viewers for the men’s season and the men would flock to the women’s season. Yah, I know that’s probably not the PC way to put it but I’m still giddy over #SCOTUS #DOMA and a long night of #StandWithWendy. Now more work on #ENDA and we will be headed in the right direction.

June 26, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Look, few are really going to watch a couple of fruits tongue each other in a hot tub. Think about it. Who really wants to see that?

33. gailer

June 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I too laughed at the guy who wore his scarf tied like a girl would. And those V-necks! I think someone on the show bought out the Hanes rack over at JCPenneys. lol

34. sarah771978

June 27, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Rob22, I understand that watching 2 guys make out might freak some people out, but…

THINK OF THE DRAMA!!!! You would have a house full of attractive, somewhat successful gay men. The producers and handlers would have a field day with guys falling for each other instead of the bachelor because who do they spend more time with?
    They could brag about 6 or 7 relationships instead of just the fake one at the end!
    There is so much potential!! :)

35. iheartvino

June 27, 2013 at 8:39 AM

A same sex bachelor/bachelorette season? I’d have absolutely zero interest in watching that.

36. Athena

June 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM

freeasabird – I like your politics; there is lots to feel good about, except for the voting rights roll backs and a horrible anti-women’s-choice budget being proposed in Ohio.

Sarah – all that drama in the house with same sex relationships would definitely be FUN to watch!

37. kjopo84

July 1, 2013 at 10:00 PM

The biggest thing I noticed from this episode- and I DO mean biggest thing- was Bryden’s package prominently displayed through his jeans when he was putting on his jacket to go dump Des. Wowsers, I guess breakups really turn him on.