A very sad week in Bachelor Nation with the passing of 29 year old Gia Allemand. I’m sure all of you have heard by now what’s been reported for the last two days and a lot of you have questions. We all do. However, we might just have to accept the fact that although we may want answers to how something this awful could happen to such a great girl, we are not entitled to them. The butcher job that the media is doing on this story is beyond repulsive and sickens me. For people to even speculate why they think she attempted suicide is uncalled for, lacks class, and is completely unprofessional. Leave it alone.
I was privileged to hang out with Gia on a couple of occasions back in the day, and she was as sweet in person as she appeared on TV. I remember the first time I ever talked to her on the phone was back when her and Wes were an item, he was talking to her, and he surprised her and said “Someone here wants to talk to you.” I got on the phone, told her who I was, and she started screaming saying “I can’t believe I’m talking to Reality Steve!” I’m pretty sure she was the first contestant I ever heard say that so immediately of course I was a fan of hers ha ha. Then I remember the night of dancing at Sfuzzi’s here in Dallas with her and Peyton before Peyton had moved to Massachusetts. It’s been a while since I’d had any contact with Gia (basically before Bachelor Pad 1) is the last time I really spoke to her, but I had heard through others how she was doing and I never heard a negative word about her. Just judging from the outpouring yesterday on social media, you can tell that Gia was an important part of this Bachelor family that will be missed by everyone.
I don’t know anything more than any of you do. It’d been a while since I’d seen or spoken to her but from everything I’d heard, she was happy, she was living in New Orleans with her boyfriend Ryan, and this news has come as a complete shock to those who were close to her. Impossible to understand something like this, so I’m not even going to try. Of the few times I spend with Gia, she was always very nice to me, she enjoyed what I did, and never took herself too seriously. That’s not easy to say for everyone involved in this franchise. RIP Gia. We all miss you.
No real easy way to transition from that into “Reader Emails,” so lets just get to it. Things have definitely died down since last week regarding the wrong spoiler, which I figured it would. If anyone let that affect them for more than, oh I don’t know, 12 seconds then you need re-prioritize things in your life. “Dr. Reality Steve” returns as well after a two week hiatus dealing with numerous of amounts of regular emails. Enjoy…
my disclaimer – this is long, there’s spelling/grammar errors, & ur awesome
1. I’m sure there will be hundreds of ppl who will send you “ur so
full of it” emails, “I told u so” etc…just wanted to let u know that
regardless of the wrong ending I’m still a fan. so ur source was wrong
&/or fed u bs either way the fact that everything else was spot on
still counts in my book. as u always say ppl will always watch this
show & send u emails trying to pounce on the slightest detail off, but
I’m pretty sure ppl will still come to u for spoilers.
2. on a side note when Ali back handed commented about ur site she
didn’t admit u had the correct winner only that u didn’t know Chris
3. since Juan Pablo is the new bachelor, thoughts? thoughts on them
not choosing drew?
a few other things non-finale related:
4. this was the only episode I watched all season (& only tuned in for
the last 30min thru the live show)….I didn’t get a gay vibe from
Chris, but yea def can add me to the drew tally
5. I never understand how someone has “moved on & is not in love”
anymore with the lead, but still asks “y not me” like they r a wounded
puppy-get a life ppl
completely non-Bach related:
6. thoughts on using a matchmaker for dating?
7. soooo excited for the return on 24!!! when is it actually coming
back to the line-up? wasn’t there supposed to be a movie?
8. what r ur top 3 acts for AGT (for those seen live & not seen live
yet)…of all those eliminated so far who would u want to see be
9. do u think a beatboxer could do well on AGT? how do u think they
could make an act out of that talent?
that’s all (I know like I didn’t take up a whole page?)…gl not
getting a1000 emails slaughtering u!
Comment: 1) Well, considering they have nowhere else to go for consistent spoilers season-to-season, I tend to agree with you.
2) I never heard Ali say anything of the such. Not sure what you’re referring to.
3) His incessant tweeting AND capitalization of WORDS that have no BUSINESS being capitalized and ridiculously annoying. At least when he leaves to film the show that’ll stop for a couple months. Holy crap. Not to mention I’m a little put off by him saying in every interview that he’s looking to find a step mom for Camila. I think people know that Camila comes with the territory of being involved with him, but is that something he should be flat out saying when asked what he’s looking for? Not to mention the Instagram selfies are reaching levels that of a high school senior. Other than that, can’t wait for his season ha ha
4) Join the club
5) Pretty much because they know that’s what’s being asked of them when they appear on the ATFR. I’m sure the audience cares and wants to know a hell of a lot more than the person involved wants to re-live it since it’s 3 months later and all have certainly moved on, regardless of what they say.
6) Zero interest
7) Yeah, for 3 straight summers we heard it was going to be a movie, then for whatever reason, stuff kept falling through. It’s going to air next summer as a 13 episode series. They haven’t really described yet exactly how it’s going to work in detail, but my guess is that instead of every episode being an hour in a day, it’ll just mean each one hour episode will cover a 2 hr time period, meaning they’ll be able to skip ahead on certain things. Obviously I’m excited for the return, but not seeing “24″ in its original 24 episodes/24 hour format is a little worrisome. I was one of the few who never thought a movie version of it would work, since we’d basically just be watching a two hour version of “24,” and the clock and real time aspect are what made the show what it is.
8) Oh geez, that’s tough. Even though we’re down to the final 16, I still don’t remember enough yet to pick out favorites.
9) A beatboxer could never win AGT. Not a million dollar act, nor could they really carry or headline a show.
can’t believe you got it wrong! that’s okay… you are human. people who yell at you need to get over themselves. you provide them a free service. they can just stop reading… but they won’t.
1. what do you think of chris? we spent all season discussing how terrible brooks was and how gay drew was, but chris seemed to fly under your radar. any gossip or thoughts on him? he seems normal enough, minus the terrible poetry.
2. do you think editing blew the brooks thing out of proportion or would des actually have picked him if he stuck around? they are being pretty dodgy in interviews and chris hasn’t watched the episode. i think it is sort of bizarre that she did such a 180 and that chris is okay with it. but then again, the show and producers confuse the hell out of the contestants so maybe she was just confused and would have pulled a jason and ended up with chris anyways, regardless of what happened with brooks. thoughts?
3. you definitely have to catch up with jason and molly’s podcast. they are so so blunt! i am surprised producers haven’t yelled at them. they basically say the whole show sucks.
4. is Maddie judging you for the wrong ending?
5. what happened with your sources (i’m sure you will answer this already)?
6. i still don’t see it between sean and catherine.
7. JUAN PABLO – you must be excited for that season. he is going to be so amusing to watch with the accent and all of the girls are just going to drool. at least he’s hot… better him than ben f. gross.
you still have a loyal fan here! don’t let the crazies get you down – although i know you are enjoying the attention.
Comment: 1) Chris seems normal, outside of the poetry thing. Gossip? Sure, there’s some. Nothing too major though. I’m just still not convinced the way everything went down that Des didn’t settle, or just chose someone because she didn’t want to end up alone. My opinion is that she’s still trying to convince herself he was the one she really loved, when it was clear as day Brooks was who she wanted. She even admitted as such. The quick turnaround from the Brooks dumping to accepting Chris’ proposal makes me skeptical and probably always will until they walk down the aisle.
2) I absolutely believe she would’ve picked Brooks if he didn’t choose to leave, which makes being engaged to Chris that much more unbelievable to me.
3) Well, maybe because it does.
4) Maddie refuses to look me in the eye since last Monday.
5) I’ve spoken with some of the sources and I know what happened with one set of them. Still not sure on another one, but might have an idea. However, that would entail going into detail about the who/what/why and I’m just not gonna do that. I never talk about my sources in detail and never will. Just know I’m taking every precaution next season to make sure it doesn’t happen again. As thorough as I am every season, next season I have to become even more thorough, which I didn’t think was possible.
6) According to them, they’re looking at a spring 2014 wedding, so we’ll see.
7) Oh I’m sure it’ll be entertaining. That’s the only reason to watch. Certainly not for a love story.
Just read your reader email column and it is very apparent you have insanely crazy people who read your column and email you. Do the people who you write witty responses to in your column ever see their email posted and email you back something crazier?? Those would be funny to read bc I’m sure your responses get them riled up bc they are absolutely insane.
I’m glad you got so much support for not being correct about the ending – the people who are loyal will read regardless. Plus, like a lot of said, who cares? It’s a stupid, stupid show. I’ve been reading since Molly/Jason/Melissa and I’m so over the show that I don’t watch it – but still read your columns for the witty recaps!!
Comment: Sometimes I engage with people on email who want to bash me, and sometimes I just ignore. All depends on what type of mood I’m in. Even when I engage, they are impossible to deal with because nothing I say will ever change their mind. So I just like to point out their ridiculousness and move on.
Okay, so I guess I never *fully* understood what these “contestants” who sign on to this show agree to. The below three points you’re signing off on/agreeing to would make ANYONE who signs up for this show a fool. Or just looking for their 15 minutes.
Pointless email, as I’m sure you’re well versed in the “application”, but worth a laugh.
Keep up the great work Steve!
1. Each applicant acknowledges, understands and agrees that Producer may disclose any information contained within or derived from his or her application to third persons connected with the Program and to compile information from third parties in connection with such application and the application process about applicant’s private, personal and public life, personal relationships with third persons, confidences and secrets with family, friends, significant others, including without limitation: physical appearance; personal characteristics/habits (both physical and mental); medical treatment/history (both physical and mental); sexual history; educational and employment history; military history; criminal investigations, charges and records; personal views and opinions about life, the world, politics, religion, and the like (collectively, “Personal Information”). Applicant acknowledges and agrees that Producer may reveal such Personal Information to third parties in the course of the application process and/or the Program and that Applicant releases, discharges, and holds harmless Companies (as defined below) from any and all claims and damages arising from such compilation or disclosure of Personal Information.
2. Each applicant acknowledges, understands and agrees that he or she, if chosen as a bachelor or bachelorette on the Program, may be audio and/or video taped twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week while participating in the Program by means of open and hidden cameras, whether or not he or she is then aware that he or she is being videotaped or recorded (collectively, “Recordings”) and that such Recordings may be disseminated on television and/or all media now known or hereafter devised, in any and all manner throughout the Universe in perpetuity.
3. Applicants acknowledge, understand, and agree that Companies (as defined below) use or revelation of Personal Information and Recordings as defined in these Eligibility Requirements may be embarrassing, unfavorable, humiliating, and/or derogatory and/or may portray him or her in a false light. Each applicant agrees to release, discharge and hold harmless the Companies from any and all claims (including, without limitation, claims for slander, libel, defamation, violation of rights of privacy, publicity, personality, and/or civil rights, depiction in a false light, intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress, copyright infringement, and/or any other tort and/or damages arising from or in any way relating to the submission of a Participant Application, participation in the selection process, participation in the Program, the use of the Personal Information or Recordings and/or the use of the applicant’s name, voice, and/or likeness in connection with the Program, or the promotion thereof in all media now known or hereafter devised. Applicants are required to sign Releases to this effect. “Companies” as used herein shall collectively mean NZK Productions, Inc., Next Entertainment, American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., all other subsidiaries and divisions of The Walt Disney Company, Telepictures Productions, Inc., all other subsidiaries and divisions of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc., Time Warner Inc., all advertising, promotional and judging agencies, Program broadcaster and distributors and all other companies associated with the production, administration and/or exhibition of the Program and/or any of their respective licensees, assigns, parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies, divisions and joint venture partners, and each of their respective employees, officers, directors and agents.
Comment: Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. There’s other stuff in the contract they sign as well that is essentially handing over your life to these production people for a year, but these people are so hungry for fame, they don’t even bother to realize the ramifications of what their life could turn into once they sign on for the show. It’s an afterthought to them, and I guarantee you less than 5% of the contestants actually read the contract. They just want to be on the show so bad, they don’t care. Most of their thought processes are, “Well, as long as I don’t do/say anything stupid, they can’t make me look bad, right?” Ummmm, wrong. But hey, it’s your life. Go ahead and do what you want to do. I’ll just have a great time making fun of it.
I read all of your blog today, the good – the bad – and the ugly.
Some people just need to get a life! I have watched all seasons of the show, not sure why but I do. I’ve also read all of your blogs.
I get a kick out of knowing who the last 3 will be and watch their interactions throughout the season. I did expect Brooks to win, based on your blog, but was not mad or upset at the result, just very surprised! But I can’t believe the hatemail you received. Shame on all of them!
I had written a question and will ask it again – when it showed the breakup of Des and Brooks, it was pretty emotional for both of them and I felt that it was real, not contrived. I assume the cameras are set way far away so that they don’t have to have that conversation with a cameraman and a huge TV camera 3 feet from their faces. Do you have any insight on that? Also when a couple is at dinner or such – can the camera be discretely at a distance? I know once there was a picnic on a lonely hill, and sometime it did show the couple picnicking with a cameraman pretty close by. Just curious!
Comment: You can’t believe the hate mail I received? Oh I can. Absolutely. That’s what internet trolls do. All day every day. And as long as RealitySteve.com is a site that you can visit every day, there will be people who hate me for what I do. It’s that simple. However, those people matter so little in this world to me, that I just let them do their thing and I’ll continue to do mine.
The cameras are pretty close to them. It’s not like they’re 50 feet away and zooming in on them. They’re right there. Most contestants say it’s weird when you first get there having cameras around all the time, but within a couple days, you’re so used to it, you don’t even recognize them after a while.
I’ll ALWAYS be a fan. The only thing I’ll say about Des is time will tell.
Juan Pablo was chosen, in part, because he’s Latino. Fastest growing demographic group in the U.S. and big time TV watchers. Also cuts them some slack with the critics that say they’ll never have a person of color in the driver’s seat on the show. Smart move, methinks. It begs the question, however, of how many Latina babes they’ll bring aboard and whether they’ll have any rules about speaking Spanish instead of English. Ah…
Keep the faith, man. There are far more FOR you than against you.
Comment: Well Juan Pablo definitely isn’t a person of color because he’s as white as the next guy, but his ethnicity I’m sure played some role in him getting cast.
I’m sure the amount of Spanish attempted by women in the house will be through the roof. Especially on the limo exits.
Am I just too old fashioned? Tell me why a man would propose to a beautiful woman, dressed to kill, while he has a two-day stubble on his face.
Are these guys just lazy – - or is it an affection amongst the “wanna’ be on TV” guys?
Comment: You’re asking the guy who hates facial hair and can’t stand it when I get stubble after two days, so yeah, I don’t get it either. Some women like that look and some don’t. All a matter of preference. Obviously you don’t like it, but for whatever reason, there are those that do.
I love reading your blog, and I think you are doing a great job handling yourself with all the crazy people. I’m an avid reader and agree that your mistake actually made the finale interesting!
I have a quick question regarding Juan Pablo. During The Bachelorette, I thought his first name was Juan and last name Pablo. I was annoyed that ABC kept using his last name – yet they don’t use a last name for anyone else. Luckily, he has a wikipedia page that informed me his full name is Juan Pablo Galavis. Okay – so similar to Juan Pablo Montoya. Is it a cultural thing to use middle names? Can’t we just call him Juan? I don’t get it. I think you should call him Juan to ensure the 4-letter name statistic is satisfied.
Comment: No, Juan Pablo Galavis is his name. You know, if you read early on before ABC even announced their cast that I’d confirmed him as such then maybe you wouldn’t have had to Google it ha ha. However, just so we can make sure that now exactly half of the 18 bachelors have 4-letter names, I’m definitely throwing him in that group. Even though no one all season will just call him “Juan,” it’s still a 4 letter name and he’s now in that bracket so things can be perfectly even. So there.
Just out of curiosity, how many of you know your 16 digit ATM debit card numbers by memory? I have a personal and business account and I never have to take out my card and look at it when purchasing something over the phone or online because I’ve memorized both. Is that me just being a numbers nerd again, or do a lot of people have their card numbers memorized?
Here’s my take on what could have happened this season with Des. The spoilers were out way before the show aired. ABC knew you were wrong. Through the magic of editing they went overboard during the ITMs to convince the audience that Des couldn’t live without Brooks. That she was in love with Brooks. They really never showed her talking about deeper feelings for any other guy. This didn’t make you look bad at the finale, it made Des look like the most pathetic contestant ever. She probably does have feelings for Chris, but any evidence of them were edited out because they wanted to focus on her feelings for Brooks to get the audience to play along with you and be your champion. The more they convinced us you were right, the harder we would be crushed when you were wrong.
I know you don’t think you’re important enough for ABC to focus on you, but you have loyal followers that join you each week laughing at this entertainment. And they sued you. You are important. Although I’m sure she had feelings for Brooks, she probably developed some feelings for the other guys. Feelings that were killed on the editing room floor. And if my theory is right, I feel bad that she would have to explain that to Chris.
Now I’m not convinced that they will last longer than any other couple, but I don’t believe that there was nothing there and she accepted a proposal. Being on this show would open the door for her to date so much, that saying no to Chris would not have left her alone for long. Although if she’s had that bad of a life, perhaps she’s clinging to anything she can get. I will continue to read. I love your blog. You make me giggle.
Comment: Oh I’m sure she had feelings for Chris. Strong ones too. Just not as strong as those for Brooks, and this “I was so blindsided by Brooks I never saw what was in front of me with Chris” is something I just don’t think I’ll ever buy.
The whole thing about ABC knowing my spoiler was wrong and they edited the show accordingly is probably somewhat true, however, the spoiler came out 3 months before the finale aired. At any point during those 3 months, someone could’ve come to me and said, “Dude, this is wrong. You might wanna double check your sources,” like they did for Ali and Brad’s seasons. So then what if a month, two week, or a week before the finale I’d found out it was Chris and changed the spoiler? Then what? They had no way of knowing that not one person would come to me, either directly or indirectly, and tell me the correct ending. Hell, Nate did it when that email conversation he had with someone else about me being wrong was forwarded on to me. I just didn’t listen to it because he was the only person who was saying the spoiler was wrong, and I had too many other sources saying it was right. Hindsight is always 20/20 but what if at that point I said, “You know what, the spoiler is wrong. She’s with Chris.” What would people have been saying about the editing then? That what I mean when I say it’s hard to believe they would focus their whole season around making sure I looked bad. Sure, they were heavy on the pro-Brooks edit, and they LOVED the fact I was wrong as evidenced by executive producer Robert Mills retweeting something after the finale that said “Blow me Reality Steve,” but they HAD to have known that at some point I could’ve changed the spoiler if given the correct information. They can’t control every single person that knows about the ending. Impossible.
Honestly, that’s the most surprising thing to me this season. Not necessarily that the spoiler was wrong (because it’s happened before), but that no one in 3 months ever came to me with, “Are you sure she’s with Brooks? Because I was told/heard that she’s engaged to Chris.” Not one. Except for that Nate conversation when he said “Reality Steve is wrong.”