Hello. Long time reader, first time emailing. (I thought I’d start off with something original for a change….wait…)
1. A quick note to the next series of people who will ask you to identify your sources: Please give it up. It’s a complete waste of time, makes you all look like fools, and is comparable to asking Coca Cola to reveal the formula. Ever notice how generic cola is pretty crappy? That aftertaste is an improvement over what this site would become if Steve actually published that information. And I don’t think he’s quite ready to sabotage his primary source of income to sate your curiosity. (If you REALLY want to know, he does give away some of that information in the FAQ section.) Genius observation.
2. I have an awesome idea. Maybe. Wernick & Reese should bring back the Joe Schmo show and cast Clare as Jane Schmo. She’d be perfect. (Did you ever see that when it aired back in the day?) Everyone else had fully pegged Juan Pablo as a fraud, yet she was completely caught up in the process almost the entire time. And she’s an attractive, nice (as far as I can tell) and likeable person. Maybe a Paradise Hotel-like spoof for the third time around. Or heck, just bring back PH and put her on there. I should be in show business. The Joe Schmo Show was brilliant. It sucks they can only pull that off every few years or so.
3. Nothing, not even your last random Karate Kid reference, has been more awesome than your Warden Richt reference. And boy, does Andi ever exemplify a typical UGA fan. That actually explains why she was Nikki’s friend when most of the others weren’t. She has that inherently self-important, better-than-you, I-love-guns-and-Georgia-football-more-than-life-itself mentality. I wonder if she’ll sport the official school colors (red, black, and camouflage) on the show? [That was quite a stretch predicting a hometown date for Aaron Murray’s brother, eh?] The next time Georgia loses a big game, everyone should tweet her “eees okay”. Here’s a good article on the UGA experience: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1692796. Only problem with that article is it was written 11 years ago. I’m sure they’ve tightened it up a bit there. Every stadium at some point or another is gonna have fights break out, people cursing, etc. It’s why they’re called fans, short for “fanatic.” Emotions run high, especially in SEC country.
With that said, I have a friend who’s a UGA football die hard, and she’s obnoxious to deal with during football season, so yeah.
Congratulations on spoiling yet another season! Also, your recaps have been hilarious this season – keep up the good work! I hope you get to meet Chris and Des, because I’d love to know how that spoiler got mixed up!
My question is a bit random, but I’m curious: do you receive ‘thank you’s’ or acknowledgements from the couples who you send wedding gifts to? I feel like you’re closer with some couples than you are with others, but hopefully they can all be respectful of the fact that you send them a wedding gift.
As always, thanks for providing hours of entertainment! Can’t wait for Andi’s “journey”!
Comment: Got a thank you from Jason & Molly, and Ashley & JP. Since Sean and Catherine’s wedding was only 6 weeks ago, I’m guessing I’ll be getting a thank you card in the future, but as of right now, I haven’t gotten anything. If I do, great. If not, I honestly wouldn’t care. I don’t get them a gift just so I can get a thank you card.
How many times do you think Andi will say “at the end of the day” during her season?
Comment: Ha ha now that you mention it, she does say that a lot, doesn’t she?
Hi Reality Steve! Awesome job on another season spoiled with every detail. I love your blog and I love knowing how the show will end before the first episode airs so, thank you. It’s so weird how many people want you to be wrong when they don’t even read your blog.
I never understood why the picked Juan Pabs & could easily tell that your information on him not really caring about finding true love and a wife was definitely true. That being said, I found myself kind of loving that he didn’t do what the show wanted him to do. He didn’t propose on the finale and then ruined their “surprise” on AFR. Ironically, all they want is a proposal, so much so that they’re willing to bribe him with money, but obviously this ending has people talking about the show probably more than an engagement would have. I don’t really have a question for you other than wondering if you think Chris Harrison would ever walk off the show during live tv? I assume not but he was obviously crawling in his own skin trying to get through that interview. Juan Pabs obviously does not have normal social communication skills but it was such a waste for Chris to nonstop ask him the same things over and over.
I look forward to you spoilers & sarcasm for Andi’s season.
Comment: I’d say Chris would never do that because he’s a professional. Who’d be able to host the show live if Chris walked off during a live broadcast?
Thanks Steve- Without your posts, this season would have been
I thought Ben Flajnik was the worst Bachelor so far, but last night JP
easily won that distinction. He seems dumber and more egotistical than
any other guy on this franchise. As you said, he didn’t like anyone on
the show and wasn’t invested in the process, but that’s the case with
almost every lead– they just fake it and jump through the hoops to
further their career. If JP really wanted to be on DWTS, he should
have sucked it up and played this silly game to make it count for
something. at ATFR, he only made it worse. Good for Clare!
1) This season, the “winner” seems to be the loser bc she’s with such
an unpopular guy. Why is Nikki even sticking around? Is there anything
(a new career opp, maybe) to gain out of these 15 min? Surely there
must be something that’s making her stay and try her hardest to fake a
smile.The cover of “People” this week is a start. I’m sure they will take any opportunities that come their way. And if the rumors are true that Nikki quit her job, then that says a lot.
2) Aren’t there any consequences for backing out of the live proposal
on ATFR? How is he able to get away with that? ABC is a massive
corporation and this show has an experienced production staff….were
they actually bested by JUAN PABLO?? No. It’s not like he signed a contract that said he was going to do it.
3) Do you think producers/editors made JP look bad as “punishment” for
his unwillingness to cooperate with their expectations (not proposing,
etc)? I think there’s something to that.
4) Sorry, I’m sure you’ve been asked many times: How much do leads get
paid for being on the show? It varies. Not everyone gets the same, but “Bachelor” leads get more than “Bachelorette” leads. Oh boy. Here come all the feminists.
5) I noticed Brooks and Michael G come up at the end… what do these
random people from last season even get by showing up?? Face time on the TV to try and stay relevant.
Poor Andi- A lot of her guys seem to have businesses/websites/creative
ventures of some sort. I’m assuming they’re on the show just to
further those projects and have no interest in her. We will still take
it; any season will probably be better than JP’s.
Comment: EVERY person that comes on this show has ulterior motives other than finding a spouse. Andi’s guys are no different.
Why no bachelor blog from Juan Pablo today on People? Did producers not allow it?
Definitely clear that producers/ABC do not want him having a chance to go off of them in the media, so they’re trying to control the situation.
Comment: Maybe the “People” magazine cover story is the reason why. Although he tweeted today he turned in a blog so I don’t know why it hasn’t been posted.
I think all the blogs are missing the point behind JP’s behavior on After the Final Rose show. It was a case of sour grapes NOT commitment phobia. Everyone goes on these reality shows for their 15 minutes of fame, hoping that it will lead to more reality tv offers and maybe even commercials. JP was no different. No doubt he was thrilled to be considered for DWTS. I think he asked Nikki to move to LA with him while filming the show. Then ABC execs decided to dump him from the dancing lineup, using his “gay-comment” as an excuse. I think they just didn’t like him. I am sure JP was furious over this dismissal and decided to screw ABC. Maybe he was going to propose to Nikki on ATFR and then move to LA with her. But why do ABC any favors? Why give them a ratings boost after execs dumped him? So he shut up and gave them nothing. ABC should have seen that coming. JP doesn’t strike me as the forgiving type!
Comment: Not to mention a bad temper, stubborn, and marches to the beat of his own drum. And that’s exactly how he acted at the ATFR.
I just want to say this is most likely my last fan email until after Andi’s season. I want to try and watch a season without reading spoilers. I must say though, I don’t think I’ll be able to last long.
Wish me luck!
Now I have a few questions to ask you!
1) What did you think about Juan Pablo making a youtube video with a song he had his friend make based on how Juan Pablo feels about Nikki? I think it was cute. But I doubt he made it. He doesn’t like the type to want to spend that much time on a video for a girl he doesn’t give a crap about. It’s on his channel if you haven’t watched it
(The link may or may not work)
I think he’s trying to show that he cares and does love her. But poor Nikki. This might give her hope that there’s going to be a proposal in the future! But there never will be. You know how in the past Juan Pablo has said he does music promotions? That’s all that was. He’s trying to promote his friend that made the song. Man, some awfully familiar pictures I see in that video.
2) When do you think you’ll get the names and pictures of and be able to release all the guys for andis season? I’ve given you 9, I have 16 right now. I will continue to release them as the season is filming.
3) Who do you think is worse Ben Flanjk or Juan Pablo? Gun to your head, choose one. I’m an answering this as the show, or as me? If I’m the show, the answer is Ben. Answering it as me, it’s Juan Pablo.
4) I saw the rankings on Wetpaint for the Bachelors. And Lorenzo is ranked very low (I want to say 2nd to last). I think that was the first Bachelor season my mom and I watched. And I didn’t find that season too bad. So what did he do so horribly wrong that has him ranked below Juan Pablo, Ben Flanjk and Jake Pavelka? I mean even very unmemorable bachelors were ranked above Juan, Ben and Jake. He’s been universally panned as the worst probably because Chris Harrison has said it.
5) I saw a story, again on Wetpaint, saying that ABC decided to basically “fire” Juan Pablo and hold him back from doing all these publicity events, interviews, tv shows, etc. It seems very believable considering Juan was in the show for the money and the fame.
And he seems like a Bachelor that if not anything would want to do more interviews than most Bachelors do. I want to know what your thoughts/information on this is? Is this true? Didn’t see that story. I think it’s possible, but I don’t think Juan Pablo wants to do any media because he seems to hate everything and everyone right now.
Thanks for another season of your humor and wit and successful spoilers!
Now some questions:
1. What I really love about your blog is that no one on the show, not contestants, not the lead, not Chris Harrison, not the producers….gets a free pass from you and you make fun of them all and call them out on any BS. That being said, have you ever gotten an angry email from a former contestant who was angry at you for the way you portrayed them in your blog? I am sure you have pissed off a former or many former contestants in the past considering what big egos most of them have. Just wondering if any of them let you know that they don’t like you or don’t appreciate what you said about them in the blog. A personal email calling me out? No. I think one in 10 years I’ve been doing this. Most enjoy it. But there are plenty that don’t like me as well. They just never personally tell me. With Twitter now, it’s much easier for them to express it that way.
2. Has there ever been a season that hasn’t even started yet where it is so obvious who the lead is going to pick?
Josh Murray really, really, really has to do some major screwing up, like in a Bentley kind of way, for him not to end up engaged to Andi at the end of the show. I mean come on, Andi has her panties wet over his brother Aaron before the show even starts. Talk about an unfair advantage. Andi will be star struck just thinking she will have a hometown date where she will get to meet Aaron Murray. It is almost looks like a boring show knowing she is just going through the motions to get engaged to Josh Murray. It seems almost cruel that Andi will know from night one that she will end up with Josh, but will go through the motions of all the other dates and hometowns with these poor other guys who don’t stand a chance. Yeah, Josh would really have to be a Grade A douchebag for him not to at LEAST get a hometown. To say already he’s gonna win is a stretch since we don’t know everybody there. But unless he royally screws up, he’s no doubt going to be in the running for her final choice.
3. I know you are big time sports fan. Who is your prediction for this years Final Four and who do you think will win it all? Is it OK if I use your predictions for an office pool I will be in? You are great with predicting spoilers so hopefully you will be good with the NCAA Tournament too. I wouldn’t do it. I’ve been lacking in following college basketball this year. I usually start ramping up my game watching right after the Super Bowl, but just haven’t gotten into it this year. I’m sure my brackets will be terrible.
4. Can this show please, please, please stop casting people with children? Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against single parents. I know it is tough being a single parent. What I have an issue with is the children who are being exploited on this show. Sure any adult who signs up for this signs their life away with a contract and anything they do on camera can be used against them. The kids? They can’t consent for this madness. They shouldn’t be a part of this.
Camilla has to live with Daddy being a jackass for the rest of her life. She gets brought on camera just for the self promotion of her loser dad. Exploitation.
Ricki meets Brad and then meets Jef….and now she meets some other fiance. Poor Ricki. That kid is probably so confused right now. Exploitation.
Jason’s son meets one girl and then he dumps her for another. All so his father can get camera time and his 15 minutes. Exploitation.
Renee has her kid meet Juan Pablo when there was no way in a cold day in hell he would ever end up with her. Exploitation.
Just stop with the kids on this show. Maybe let people on the show who have kids….ok, whatever, but the kids should no way be on film. They can’t consent to this madness. They are being used and exploited. Their parents act like childish attention seeking whores who do things on camera to embarrass them for the rest of their lives. These kids are being used for their parents own selfish fame seeking 15 minutes of attention. These kids have to go to school and will hear it from other kids when they see this stuff on You Tube. How sad.
What do you think Steve? I don’t have a problem with it because those parents are agreeing to it, so obviously they don’t have a problem with it. If that’s what they choose to do, who am I to say to them it’s wrong. I don’t think there is a “right” or “wrong” answer. Guess we won’t find out til years later if every single kid that appeared on this show turns out to be a train wreck, and I don’t see that happening.
5. If you could have a one night no strings attached fantasy suite with either Sharleen or Andi, who would you pick? This is based just on who you would rather get naughty with and consider that you would go your separate ways in the morning with no further discussion. Sharleen.
6. Steve, I have never seen this addressed and as a woman think about it. Yes, of course there is sex in the fantasy suites. That is not the question. However, what if a woman is on that time of the month and can’t do the deed? The Bachelor will likely get blue balls and not be too happy. In addition it would likely put that girl at a huge disadvantage knowing the other girls are getting it on with him and she is, well, just a bloody mess that he won’t touch. Well considering all the women pretty much end up cycling together while living in the house (still the 9th Wonder of the World to me), then that’d mean if it happened to be that time of month, he ain’t getting it from any of them.
7. Is the goal of the contestants now just to be the “Next Bachelor” or “Next Bachelorette”? It used to be that contestants were in it to win it. Courtney had no intention of marrying Ben, but she used to parade around the house with a rose in hand saying “winning, winning” and “I have a rose and Emily doesn’t”. Now the focus has shifted and the goal is to be the Next Bachelor or Bachelorette. Do you think Andi has set a precedent in that future contestants will try to tank it after the hometown dates knowing that if they get to the Final 2 that they will not be able to be the Next One? They will purposely try to get eliminated after hometowns or if in doubt, eliminate themselves, in the hope of getting the Next One. It is kind of like an NFL team that loses their last couple of games on purpose in order to get the top draft pick. What do you think Steve? I don’t think this is anything new. At least in the last 10 seasons or so since the show become so tabloid-y. They all go on with the thought of, “Hey, if I last long enough, I can possibly be the next Bachelor or Bachelorette” in their head. All of them. And they’re lying if they say that wasn’t on their mind.
I have been wondering on reflection, what does Juan Pablo have to offer a woman?
If you take away “it;s easy”, “it’s okay”, “I’m honest”, he’s just a deaf mute-
A crappy apartment in Miami with 9 people living there already-
On his Venezuelan museum salary, he couldn’t afford better than to move Nikki to the Tower of David-
He hooks up with random women, like some people use a fly swatter-(finally giving Arie and Jef some serious competition)
His small package? Either way, it’s bad news-
He enrages Sean Lowe to the boiling point with his blatant stupidity, and ignorance, (Sean, one of the nicest mild mannered and tolerant people out there)-
Mental stimulation that wouldn’t impress a 5 year old-
And finally is unable to tell a woman that he even loves her?
My question is this, what does Juan Pablo have to offer any self respecting woman?
Comment: Your guess is as good as mine.
Hi Steve 🙂
Love your column, love your wit, love your spoilers! 🙂 I can’t even watch the Bachelor or Bachelorette anymore without reading your spoilers first, lol. Anyway…do you have any idea who they called at the last minute to fill the spot they were going to offer to Juan Pablo on DWTS? I’m just curious. So glad that guy is about to slink off out of the spotlight!
Comment: I don’t think there was any last minute decision made. Three weeks ago is when I had said he wasn’t gonna be on it. DWTS has a list of people they’re interested in, then narrow it down, start asking to see who’ll sign on, etc. Juan Pablo was absolutely on their list, then they decided against it. There was no last second decision before the March 4th announcement of the cast. There are plenty of people who want to be on DWTS.
I’ve kept myself in isolation from tabloids and from your column because I wanted to watch the show and be surprised. I have a very much different impression of Juan Pablo.
He was looking for the right woman for him, for the woman he is going to marry. As far as I understand South American culture, what matters to them is the ability to get along and get through problems, not so much getting to know each other inside and out. It is the old-fashioned way like we had here in North America, when people get married young because they were infatuated with each other. None of this actions contradicts this.
I liked the balls he showed when Sharleen left. He said that, even if she changed her mind, he still would have sent her home. Actually you can see the big difference between professional, intelligent girls like Sharleen and Andi, and a sweet girl, docile and feminine girl like Nikki, in that when Nikki in this most recent episode as she layed on the beach ask Juan Pablo to make a commitment, and he basically said no, she just accepted it and let him be. She was patient, and not pushy, she gave him space to like her, and didn’t get desperate and “trying to hard” like the professional girls. She went with the flow, she listened to him and respected him, and that’s how she is still like.
Basically, he picked the kind of girl that has has been describing all season. Great with kids, and goes with the flow. So I see this is as genuine.
It was Nikki who, knowing Juan Pablo, said that if he didn’t want to be with anyone, he wouldn’t be with anyone. If he wanted to not give anyone the rose, he would have done that and who knows there may have been a Juan Pablo 2.0.
Do you know if he gets paid more for giving out the final rose, as opposed to not, regardless of him not proposing?
I like how understanding he was to the girls, in that he accepted that people were different than him, and saw the world differently. He never called anyone stupid for thinking the way they did. About Clare, if you love someone, you don’t want to embarrass them, like for instance when she called him out on the comment about his liking to f**k her (did he also say he doesn’t know her, as reported?). If that happened to Nikki, she would have just laughed at it or brushed it off, or would have been understand like Juan Pablo is. She would have been like, “izzz OK”, that’s how you feel and I can’t control it, but I accept it as reality, I hear what you have to say.
I truly liked Juan Pablo’s approach to women, and his “izzz OK” attitude, not because he is saying that everything is fine, but because he is saying he understands what the women are saying, he feels it. He sympathizes. And that’s what women need, sympathy, they are not logical creatures like men, and that’s why he ran into diffculties with more modern women who are more modern and logical and less in touch with their feminine selves. Had the show done a greater job of choosing more culturally appropriate women, who are in touch with their sexual selves and yet feminine and stupid in other ways, it would have been great. So the problem with The Bachelor is modern North American women, not Juan Pablo.
After all, Juan Pablo gained the attention and admiration of pathetic female fans through his ability to dance salsa, have an accent, play soccer and look manly. That is, the feminine portions of women that admire the outgoing expressions of masculinity are what brought him to the Bachelor, not his sophistication. He should have had more women in touch with their feminine sides, wishing to love and not needing someone to know them endlessly, knowing you can spend the rest of your life knowing someone. You do your thing, I do mine, and when we see each other let’s have a good time. You listen to me, I listen to you, but don’t try to force me woman. Sounds like a good marriage to me. Seriously not arrogant at all, it is how it should be.
The good thing about a man being right is that he may be too stubborn to let go of Nikki, and that’s how I hope it ends up. As his family says, he has problems in staying while things are tough, and yet he has stood together with Nikki for four months now, which I believe he thinks is an accomplishment itself. Also his body language, he wanted to protect Nikki, who he trusts has his back, from the bitchy, insipid women, and that’s why he had his arm around her and clinched her like his baby. He is the man, and his big arms take his prize with him, and he will protect her from the bitches because he is more emotionally stronger than her. His body language says a lot.
Comment: Very articulate, well thought out, and you obviously put a lot of thought into it.
I can honestly say I vehemently disagree with pretty much every single sentence you wrote. But hey, to each their own.
I had a dream last night that Juan Pablo picked me! We were hanging with his fam and friends and then my childhood friend showed up and we were reminiscing. We then began making a bed that we were going to sleep in, and it required 2 twin sheets, so he took a nice one and I had to use one made of sticks. Needless to say, I was NOT happy about that. He barely talked to me the whole time, and then towards the end of my dream he walked in on me pooping! HOW EMBARASSING!
what do you think this means?
Comment: I mean, it’s only appropriate to end this with, “Yup, these are my readers,” right? But Bill Simmons already has cornered the market on that one and it’d be a blatant rip off.
So I’ll just say that I think you have some very bizarre dreams and should probably see a doctor for it. Maybe go lay on a couch for an hour and discuss your feelings. Ummmm, wow.
Send all links and emails to: firstname.lastname@example.org. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you tonight.