Dr. Reality Steve

“Reader Emails,” “Dr. Reality Steve,” & Nick Is At It Again

Back tonight with another live video chat 9:00pm EST/6:00pm PST. Hopefully the Nick stuff is behind us and we can just start focusing on the train wreck that is “Bachelor in Paradise.” I think we could definitely talk about that for an hour. So join me tonight as we break down this summer’s trashiest new show! I really am missing the days of “Bachelor Pad.” Chris Harrison’s stance is that “Bachelor Pad” felt wrong to them because it ended up being about money, and that’s not what their show is about. Total BS. If you did one season of it, I can see where you could give that answer. You did it three times with the same concept all three times, so shut up about it “not feeling right.” Please. Chris saying their show isn’t about money is true. But that’s the “Bachelor” and “Bachelorette.” This is a different show, so it’s ok to be about something different. Best example is the “Real World” franchise. Their spinoff is the “Challenge” which pits former contestants in challenges for money. “Real World” isn’t about money, but the “Challenge” is, and some will argue the “Challenge” is a hell of a lot more interesting than the “Real World.” I would. We already have two seasons per calendar year about “love,” with the “Bachelor” and “Bachelorette.” Doesn’t mean you need to make your spin off show all about that since most people aren’t buying it anyway.

Ok, someone needs to tell Nick to just let it go. He wrote a guest column for Sean Lowe’s blog (like Arie did last week), explaining himself YET AGAIN on why he said what he did at the ATFR. Why is he still talking about this? I thought he was done last week? Nick, you’re not going to convince anyone who already doesn’t think what you did was sh***y that it wasn’t. I understand you’re trying to justify what you did, but it’s coming off as desperate. Some people have no problem with what you did, some do. Just let it be. It’s old news, yet the more you keep talking about it, the worse it’s getting. Nothing he said in that column is nothing he didn’t tell any media outlet last week. It’s the same thing. We know why you said you what you did. You’ve made that perfectly clear.

Speaking of Nick, did you catch his twitter battle with Marcus from Monday night? Fun times. I take it Marcus won’t be inviting Nick to his wedding now? Settle down now. It’s just a silly TV show. Marcus really seems to dislike Nick considering he hasn’t had one good thing to say about him since the season ended. Not to mention during the season he called him a douchebag. Kiss and make up, fellas.

I’m sure some of you have seen this by now, but the city of Santa Fe, New Mexico is currently bidding to have an episode filmed in their city for next season of the “Bachelor.” This is essentially how it works in terms of where they go. First time I ever really remember a city coming out publicly and talking about their bid. Usually it’s said after the fact, but apparently Santa Fe wants an episode real bad. They are correct in saying that other cities are being considered. I’ve heard of three other cities currently bidding for the final stop before hometowns, and a couple months ago, I told you I’d heard about where they might be headed for the final rose ceremony. That’s because I heard of which city placed the bid, the dates, and what they were trying to secure. I just haven’t heard if their bid was accepted yet. And if it wasn’t, does it mean the show still wants to stay in the same area, just a different location? Or it means if that bid is rejected, they go somewhere else completely? That’s what I’m unsure of.

1. Scout

August 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM

omg they named a three-legged cat Tripod. That is AWESOME!

2. flightgirl

August 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I thought what Nick said at the ATFR show was absolutely fine. How Andi reacted to him was crappy and showed her character. She said she was in love with Josh from the moment she saw him, so why sleep with Nick? Why lead him on further than the show required? Of course Nick wanted answers. BFD. It only made Andi look like a conceited, two-faced byotch. Why are HER feelings the only one that matter?

3. thisissoembarrassing

August 7, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Totally agree – especially with the Challenge example about why Bachelor Pad is 1,000xs better than this Paradise ridiculousness.

As far as the next Bachelor. PLEASE LET IT BE CHRIS. Can you imagine watching Arie do that “every teenage girl’s selfie face” expression while he’s kissing for an entire season. B-A-R-F. So gross. Why anyone think’s that guy is attractive is beyond me. PLUS (sorry, just getting it out – I really can’t fathom that they’re actually considering that unattractive douche) he always looks like he has bad/not the ride shade of makeup on.

Finally – still laughing about Marcus saying that Lacy has “two beautiful……(PAUSE)…eyes” on Monday’s show. Hahahahahahahahahaha. Sure she does buddy 😉

4. addicted2rs

August 7, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Considering Josh said he wasn’t going to say “I love you” until he found the person he was going to propose to, and he had told Andi he loved her before any of the Fantasy Suite dates, he must feel pretty disrespected that she had Nick’s DNA inside her when he had his Fantasy Suite date, and when he proposed. No way to get around Andi coming across any way other than a slut.

5. karynr

August 7, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Fun column to read.

I’ll say it for the last time, and please don’t beat me up, but Andi’s season was refreshing. It was nice to have a bright, strong person, and IMO she pulled it off beautifully.

Hy for President!!!! Just kidding.

6. vessel

August 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I’m really, REALLY anti all this “slut-shaming” Andi is getting. Is every bachelorette in this show’s history a slut? Because with the exception of Emily and Ali probably all of them sleep with at least 2 guys. Are the Bachelors sluts too? Aside from Sean they all sleep with 2, or even 3 girls. Are we going to go double standard and say it’s okay for them because they are guys? It makes me sick. Andi is a grown woman and she can sleep with anyone she wants and it’s really none of our business trying to nit pick the “whys” of her decision and name calling her for it. I find it especially alarming when other women criticize her and use misogynistic words like “slut.” Where is the sisterhood, anyway? I know I wouldn’t want a whack of complete strangers judging my sense of sexual ethics and I don’t think she deserves this holier than thou judgment either.

7. bigfatwoman

August 7, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I’m on Twitter. I tend to follow and rarely tweet. I follow celebs, public people and news sources.

I tweeted a comment to Josh The Athlete a few weeks back because dude tweeted out a shirtless picture of himself playing with his dog.

I tried following him on Twitter today. He had blocked me. Take yourself a little serious, huh…..Athlete?

8. Athena

August 7, 2014 at 5:04 PM

kaynr: I’m with you. I thought Andi was bright, articulate, and a great lead.

vessel: Yes! Yes! Yes! It is really disturbing that women would shame another woman for making her own personal choice about her sexuality. Disturbingly misogynistic stuff, for sure.

9. thedoctor

August 7, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I have no idea what slut-shaming is and how many people one must sleep with in what amount of time to be crowned a slut.

I do not care.

It is all about BIP now. I swear Lacy’s boobs grew during the episode. The producers must think we are all idiots or just don’t care, because there were so many manufactured/fake scenes.

Here is one that has not yet been pointed out. It was supposedly the night after Lacy’s/Roberts’s date. They mentioned that they had not seen each other all day.

How is that possible? Unless one of them just crashed the whole day, there is no where else to go, they would have seen each other.

10. bigfatwoman

August 8, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Also wanted to add my thumbs up agreement about Nick digging himself a deeper and deeper hole with continuing to spew his sour grapes.

It’s an interesting divide between the pro Nick and anti Nick supporters and detractors.

When you look at him as a whole on the show…..from his laser focus on getting the girl and strategizing at every step…..to his “I was wronged” need to call Andi out — the guy to me…..is a total weirdo.

If he were a woman we’d write this off as another overly emotional female…..but on a guy? It could not be any less becoming.

11. goosiegirl

August 8, 2014 at 9:46 AM

@BFW, maybe instead of wondering why Josh blocked you on Twitter, maybe you should be wondering why wouldn’t he block you? If some stranger I didn’t know sent me negative comments, I wouldn’t want to hear from them either. It’s hard enough dealing with the negative people we have to deal with, so why deal with the ones we don’t have to?

12. addicted2rs

August 8, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Bachelor and Bachelorette are not your garden variety proposals. Did any of you sleep with two different people in two days and then accept a proposal from one of them right afterward? After having said you knew all along you wanted the one who proposed?

I just think it is disrespectful to Josh and the engagement.

I feel the same way about any lead who has sex with more than the person they are going to get engaged to. I thought Juan Pablo was a slut. Same with other leads. You can disagree with me. We are all entitled to our opinion.

13. bigfatwoman

August 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM

@goosie…..I thought about that. As an anonymous person, I would probably block someone who randomly said something negative.

However, as a 15 minute celebrity, I would imagine I would receive many different types of comments, positive and negative. Unless someone was bombarding me with negativity I don’t think I would block someone for precisely the reason I mentioned. It would make me look too prickly and like I was taking myself just a wee bit too seriously. I hardly tweeted something viscious…..it was more of an eye roll comment.

14. cjscjs711

August 8, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I was just reading what Nick wrote on his guest blog for Sean Lowe.

He is practically becoming the poster child for Men Against Premarital “Making Love.” Meanwhile, it’s all such a transparent attempt to get back at Andi and Josh. Feigning naivetĂ©, claiming being deeply in love after going on a few very heavily chaperoned and televised dates, and spending a few hours alone with a person – coming from a teenager I might try to believe it, but not a 33-year-old man.

At least from now on any woman who becomes “deeply in love” with him and then “makes love” with him, will know she can expect an engagement ring soon thereafter! Because that’s the way he thinks it should roll. And if he doesn’t deliver, she can feel free about taking it to the media circuit.

15. Athena

August 8, 2014 at 5:24 PM

It takes a lot for me to actually LOL when watching tv, but Claire crying to the raccoon and then complaining about being bitten up by fire ants did it for me. I don’t know if they’re going to edit her to make her the comedic relief for BiP, but so far, so good.

16. Athena

August 8, 2014 at 5:29 PM

And now she doesn’t know what a “vista” is…OMG. She’s not really that funny, but the producers are sure having fun.

17. flightgirl

August 9, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Vessel— No one is slut shaming Andi. It doesn’t matter that she slept with Nick or anyone else, but she should be called out on how SHE TREATED HIM AFTERWARDS. Geez she needed to show an ounce of empathy for his feelings and it wouldn’t have been a topic at all. She can sleep with every guy and Chris H. and no one would care. It was more about her attitude and meanness she showed Nick. She acted throughout the season, why not continue at the ATFR? Eric was right about her.

18. Cndgirl

August 9, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I’m with the others who thought Andi was a good lead. I thought she had depth, and so the season had more than normal depth, I just enjoyed it a lot more.

I don’t think she owed Nick anything. And maybe she would have talked to him if it was the Nick she knew – but now she knows about the Nick Josh knew in the house – who would have filled her in on how cocky he was, how he was sure he was the one and said it to everyone, she probably even heard about things Nick said about her she might not appreciated. She also saw footage of Nick that she probably didn’t appreciate – most of us thought he was an ass.

So, shes head over heels for Josh, and just wants to move on with that, and now she knows how much Josh dislikes Nick (along with a lot of other guys in the house she respected), along with the side of Nick she never knew before. She probably just wants to forget about the whole thing and move on – might even be a little embarrassed she fell for him for a while. Then she gets a letter from Nick that says she made the wrong choice? Why would she want to see him? If you were dating – I mean seriously involved with a guy that hated your ex, and was crazy about him – wouldn’t you want to respect your new love and just move on? And forget it ever happened? I think that’s why she downplayed how much she cared for him, about now really being in love with him – either she didn’t want to be, or she realized, that now with what she feels about Josh, that it wasn’t really in love like she might have thought at the time – because for her it’s 3 months later but for him it’s like she dumped him yesterday. They barely spent anytime together in the first place!

I think this experience brought up a whole bunch of old feelings up for Nick from past relationships – and I think he needs some help with that. We all need a little help sometimes – but he’s not going to get it doing the media circuit. It’s just allowing him to hang on to it all even longer when he needs to understand why he had such a strong emotional reaction and explore the root of all that. Andi certainly won’t be able to provide him with any answers to that.

19. bigfatwoman

August 10, 2014 at 7:37 AM

….what @cndgirl said (minus the strong Andi love).

August 11, 2014 at 1:22 PM

This slut-shaming commentary is a hoot. Some of you will recall the numerous times RS has brought up the fact that Bob Guiney, I guess according to MF, slept with 4 1/2 girls and the blatant man whoring by Alex in the first Bachelor. I also recall Charlie treating the girls like his own personal harem. These guys were roundly criticized on this site, and in general, whenever the topic arose. Mostly, Sean has been applauded for his restraint (aside from the “grown sexy” stupidity that followed). So, I think it would be consistent to criticize Andi for mixing Nick and Josh’s bodily fluids on the overnights. I think as long as you’re consistent, it’s fine to take side that Andi was being slutty. I wouldn’t agree with a double standard where Bob was applauded and Andi criticized.

21. mommyof2

August 11, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I thought Andi was one of the best bachelorettes ever- until the AFR show. She was so cold to Nick. Apparently Nick tried unsuccessfully to talk to her prior to this live show, and he had every reason to believe he wouldn’t get another chance to speak to her, so in my opinion, he had every right to ask her why she led him on by sleeping with him if she was in love with someone else- and knowing how he felt about her. Not to mention, I would think Josh should know his fiancĂ© slept with someone else days before their engagement. Yes, Josh knows she’s dating others- kissing them and possibly sharing the fantasy suite with 2 other guys. But you’d think she’d only sleep with the one she was in love with and would choose.

22. vessel

August 12, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I don’t think Andi owed Nick anything beyond what she gave him when she let him go. They are broken up, Nick needed to get back into real life and get over it already, sorry to sound harsh but freaking man up and move on. She didn’t let it get to the point of him choosing a ring, much less the humiliation of getting down on one knee. (That shows a lot more respect and kindness than other Bachelorettes have shown who HAVE let it get that far and then they dump the guy at the altar.) He was obsessive and stalker-esque and frankly 2.5 months later he still can’t accept that she is engaged to another man? Well that’s on him to work out on his own, or with counseling, and nothing Andi could say was going to offer him any consolation.

23. addicted2rs

August 12, 2014 at 10:40 AM

The format is brutal where the lead breaks up with the F2 on the day of the proposal. Even though these people are part of a cast and are sometimes referred to as contestants, it does sound like real feelings develop for the people who make it to hometowns and beyond. Anyone who makes it to F2 is probably going to have their heart broken at least a little bit. The show has a pretty shocking format which is why people watch it. :)