Bachelor in Paradise

“Bachelor in Paradise” Episode 4 Recap Including When is the Next “Bachelor” Going to be Announced?

For those that have emailed since last Thursday’s video chat asking me if it cut off or where it went, I’ve got your answer. No, the video didn’t cut off. I ended it after 38 minutes. There weren’t any questions left, so I figured I might as well end it then. However, going back and watching it, it definitely had some video and audio glitches throughout, and that was on my end. The internet connectivity at my sister’s house wasn’t great, hence the reason it kept doing that. So as of right now, there’s not a lot I can do about last Thursday’s video chat. Going forward though, they’ve changed their model and now I have to pay a monthly fee to keep all Spreecasts loaded on the site so they don’t disappear. I’ve only got two live video chats left through the calendar year (this week and Sept. 11th. Sept. 4th I will be in Vegas and I don’t plan on doing one there), so I won’t start paying the monthly fee til January of 2015 when the video chats start up again. The next two you’ll just have to view within 7 days of them going up, before they disappear. Hope that explains it.

Since we have episode 5 airing tonight, there will be another column up tomorrow, and a regular schedule this week with “Reader Emails” and “Dr. Reality Steve” on Thursday along with a live video chat that night. Even if it is cutting into the South Carolina/A&M game. That’s right. We’ve hit that time of the season where my weekends are essentially booked with college and pro football. As mentioned above, next Thursday the 4th I will be in Vegas for a Bachelor party weekend, so I really don’t think I’m gonna feel like doing a live video chat from my hotel room. Not to mention, that night is the Seahawks/Packers game, which is basically the sole reason I go into Vegas on Thursday of the opening NFL weekend every year. So unfortunately that means only two live video chats the rest of the calendar year. This Thursday, then a wrap up one the week of the “Bachelor in Paradise” finale on the 11th. I mean, maybe I’ll throw a random one in there sometime before the end of the year, but we won’t be back on a weekly schedule until the “Bachelor” starts airing in January of 2015.

Speaking of the “Bachelor,” we now know when the announcement will be made: tomorrow morning on “Good Morning America.” And as I’ve told you for the last 3 months, it’s going to be Chris. Arie even took to Twitter last night to say he didn’t get it and decided to throw in a “have fun on the farm” blast on there. Talk about bitter. Just because they didn’t want you for a third time doesn’t mean you need to go taking shots now. That’s not part of your new spiritual journey now, is it Arie? Your pastor friend and waitress at Cracker Barrel won’t think too highly of that. Ahhhh, I enjoy being right. Especially when it’s at the expense of Arie. I wonder what his lunatic fans are gonna do now? Do they even have the will to live anymore? I wonder if Arie will go back to hooking up with Chelsie now that he doesn’t have the “Bachelor” gig since that’s essentially the reason he stopped contacting her out of the blue in the first place. So yeah, there’s your answer you’ve all been curious about. He hooked up with Chelsie on more than one occasion when he was in Ohio for races, going out of his way to contact her beforehand to let her know he’d be there, then just stopped texting or calling. Great guy.

As for some of Chris’ girls, I do have a good idea of who a few of them are already, but I’m holding off until we get closer to filming. Like I do every year, I usually don’t like revealing too many before they leave, but there’s a chance I could release a few of them. Last season, I released 5 of Juan Pablo’s girls a week before they even left for filming. I’ll make the call as we get closer to them leaving for filming. I’m not sure when the exact date of filming starts, but just going by the last 6 seasons of the “Bachelor,” it’s usually anywhere between Sept. 15th-20th. I don’t think this season will be any different. My guess is they will begin filming sometime the week of Sept. 15th. I will keep you updated as I find out more.

Ratings are in from last night, and BIP kept it’s same rating in the 18-49 demo from last week, but is down about 400k viewers. Makes sense going up against the Emmys. Nice of Seth Meyers to throw in a “Bachelor in Paradise” blast during his monologue. I’m sure that had producers all excited, but enough with the tweets about the Emmy’s from the people in control of this show. You’re really that bummed you’re not up for Emmy’s? Geez. How delusional. I don’t care how many seasons you’re on, you’re never going to win one, let alone get nominated. Get over yourselves.

1. picklesmcgee

August 26, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Uhh, pretty sure the ocean makes Sarah feel vulnerable because she only has one arm. I thought that would be an obvious assumption.

2. bigfatwoman

August 26, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I had vowed not to watch this show….but I’ve been glued since episode 1. It is so trashtastic. I love it.

Answer me this about Sarah…..I think she’s a lovely girl, beautiful inside and out and way too normal for this show….but, does anyone know why she doesn’t wear a prosthetic arm? I’m sure she has her reasons and I’m sure she doesn’t need one to function any better, but aesthetically it would just look so much better. There is nothing gross about her missing arm, it’s just that it’s so distracting to the eye (at least for me).

I saw Arie’s tweet last night about “have fun at the farm” and I thought, “wow, I was unsure this guy was a douche, but he certainly just confirmed it.” What a sore loser.

3. ashleigh11

August 26, 2014 at 12:46 PM

AshLee’s apology to Clare might have sounded a little more sincere if she hadn’t wandered away for it muttering under her breath that she’s such a b*tch. I think AshLee has learned how to meticulously fake that she’s a nice and classy person, but she just isn’t. And all of that after Clare gave up her date with Graham to placate sourpuss AshLee on day one. I’m glad Clare called her out on it. That was incredibly shady of her and a pretty low blow.

Re Kalon – I actually thought he was pretty hilarious. He’s not a guy you’d date (sadly, I know this after having dated a Kalon clone for years), but he’s good TV and he nailed every cheesy romantic one-liner cliche perfectly. I also love the charity work he does for shelters and animal rescues with GiveBones in his private life, so he’s not a bad guy – just a bad romantic prospect.

Even though BIP is a total gong-show, I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

4. JovisMom

August 26, 2014 at 12:58 PM

bigfatwoman – I know we have disagreed w\ things in the past but I agree 1000% with you on the Sara deal.
    She seems very sweet and I have also wondered why she doesn’t wear a prosthetic arm… I have a feeling that perhaps she does own one but the show asked her not to wear it for the show for the “drama”… No sure.

5. oyoung1117

August 26, 2014 at 3:08 PM

About Sarah and her lack of a prosthetic. I think when a person is really self-conscious about something, thinking that somehow you can hide it on some level is really inhibiting. You are always afraid of the moment your secret “gets out” and you feel like you are lying about who you are because you are ashamed of it. But the moment you allow yourself to come out of hiding–you are free. Terrified and still probably pretty self-conscious, but free. You don’t have to worry about the moment someone realizes you don’t have an arm, they recognize it the moment they see you. It is who you are and you are okay with it.

August 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM

The thing is with Sarah is that if you’re going to go with the stump rather than a prosthetic, then you really need a little attitude behind it…. Or add a little humor, or something. If you go with the stump and then are super self conscious, then you come across as someone who you have to tippy toe around and constantly build up or the insecurities will constantly surface. Guys are instantly going to feel awkward, typically…. And especially on this show where guys have the depth of a kiddie pool…. If it really bothers Sarah as much as it seems to, and I don’t blame her at all for feeling insecure, I’m sure most of us would feel that way…. Well, then go with the prosthetic and feel comfortable. I find myself wondering if she does have a prosthetic and the producers bullied her into not wearing it. That would explain a lot for me.

7. cjscjs711

August 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I’m sure Sarah has her reasons for not having or wearing a prosthesis. Outside of wearing a long-sleeved shirt, I’m not sure there’s much she could do about the obviousness of it. I don’t know if she’s ever discussed the details of it but I actually think it would be interesting to hear. Maybe she doesn’t want to seem like a poster child for disabilities, but just like this discussion – we’re clueless about the options or problems.

8. shari253

August 27, 2014 at 12:59 AM

I think that the reason Sarah does not wear a prosthetic arm is that she was born with her arm the way it is. She has been this way her whole life. It is different than someone who lost their arm in an accident or military service. I agree that her partial arm is a bit disconcerting but I admire her courage to be free of a prosthetic.

9. Scout

August 27, 2014 at 8:00 AM

RE: Sarah and a prosthetic.
    I don’t know why, nor do I actually care, but I follow her on social media and I’ve never seen her with one. So I don’t think its a producer thing. What I do think may be producer manipulation would be getting her to talk about it. ie: “oh sarah, don’t you feel like your one arm gives you limitations? don’t you feel insecure. you’re different because you have one arm” and then get her reaction. She probably doesn’t even think about it in her day to day life because, like shari253 said, she was born without it.

August 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Scout, good point. I’m sure the producers dig into her insecurities pretty hard. I feel for the girl. The Bachelor franchise, especially BIP is completely wrong for her. But, just because she seems sweet and lost an arm, it doesn’t mean that she doesn’t enjoy the attention and notoriety just like everyone else. And because she only has one arm, people are more inclined to go easy on her. So she avoids the sledgehammers delivered via social media that most everyone else has to endure.

11. molliebsmith

August 27, 2014 at 1:14 PM

thoughts on this week’s episode:
    kalon’s date was the funniest part
    poor marquel
    ANDREW RIPP IS A DREAMBOAT https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/let-love-win/id632774958?i=632775212

12. Cndgirl

August 27, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Maybe this is our opportunity to explore with ourselves why we feel uncomfortable about Sarah. I’m also a little uneasy, but I’ve been trying to think about that, and understand what that means about me and about what I see – I don’t think the solution should be that Sarah should get a prosthetic so the rest of the world feels more comfortable. I give her full props about being vulnerable and putting it out there – whatever her reasoning is.