The Bachelor 19 - Chris

The “Bachelor” Chris Episode 2 Recap Including Next Week’s Dates & Who Returns in a Future Episode

Lets touch on something right off the bat that’s been asked of me numerous times already in the week that the show has been on. No, I do not have your episode-by-episode spoilers this season. I have your breakdown from the final four on right here, and I’ve added all the other spoilers I posted last Monday in there as well. That’s everything I have so far for this season all in one place for you. Plus, I will add what I’m about to tell you later on there today. If I get the episode-by-episode spoilers, you will know about it. As of now, I don’t have them. Only from the final 6 on, do I have all your eliminations. Last week I guessed which five went home last night and got 4 of the 5. Not bad. But I did say in last Monday’s additional spoilers who goes home in episode 3, so that’s in the link I included as well. Next week, they go from 18 down to 15. The three girls eliminated are Tracy, Amber, and Trina.

Next week’s dates are:

-Kaitlyn gets a 1-on-1 where she and Chris go shopping for their own food, then Kimmel later crashes it
-There’s a farm themed group date
-Whitney gets a 1-on-1 date in wine country and they crash a wedding

Episode 4’s dates are:

-Group date with 8 girls at the beach
-Jade gets a 1-on-1 “Cinderella” date picked out by Chris’ sisters
-Group date of the remaining 6 go to San Francisco for a charity mud run in wedding dresses

I may find out who got the group date rose before next week, I may not. For those that missed my tweet this past Saturday, I tweeted that Mackenzie and Kaitlyn would be getting this week’s group date roses. Like I said, things are different this season. I’m finding stuff out at all different times, so if I’ve already posted a column, but if I find something out, then I’ll just tweet it.

A spoiler that you can now add to episode 5 in New Mexico is this. In a pre-season interview that Chris did, he specifically mentioned something that happens this season:

“One of the girls I had sent home actually came back during one of the cocktail parties after a group date,” he says of one particular instance. “She said she had driven like seven hours to see me … I felt bad for her.”

The girl Chris is referencing is Jordan. She’s the one who was obliterated last night at the cocktail party (and for most of the episode actually) and didn’t get a rose. Well, she lives in Colorado. Apparently after she got home, she contacted producers and asked if she could come back. Producers told her that she could meet them in New Mexico. So she drove the 7 hrs in her own car and met producers in New Mexico, and then she ended up crashing the group date cocktail party in New Mexico in episode 5. Chris was willing to give her another chance, but apparently the rest of the girls freaked out over it and he ends up sending Jordan back home again as she gets in her car and drives back home. Gee, hope that was worth it Jordan. I’m guessing that won’t be embarrassing at all.

As for those who didn’t tune in to the live video chat last Thursday night, you haven’t heard my thoughts on Andi & Josh’s break up. Basically, the reason I referenced they’d never get married in last Tuesday and last Thursday’s column was because I had heard it was coming. It wasn’t a matter of if, it was a matter of when. Did I think they’d break up three days after appearing at the premiere? No. But I was told it wasn’t going to be much longer. People seem to be taking them to task for showing up at the premiere obviously knowing that things weren’t going well. I can’t fault them for that. They’re the show’s most recent engaged couple. The premiere invited basically everyone and their mothers. Andi & Josh were in a no-win situation. If they don’t show up, people would automatically speculate something was wrong and wonder why they weren’t there. If they do show up (then break up three days later), they scream, “Why’d they even go to the premiere then?” So I don’t necessarily have a problem with them being at the premiere. As long as they were officially still together, they pretty much had to. Even Chris Harrison in his blog today and in this interview made an excellent point about going through a public break up.

The bottom line is, as much as you think you know these people, you don’t. At all. Just because they tweet lovey dovey things, and post tons of pictures on Instagram, and you see them publicly showing signs of affection, doesn’t mean you know anything about what’s happening in their relationship, so lets just stop pretending like we do. Andi and Josh obviously broke up for a reason. If they want to eventually share that with the public, they will. I’ve already seen numerous stories all ranging from “It just didn’t work out,” to “she cheated on him” to “he cheated on her” to “the family doesn’t like Andi” on and on and on it goes. Every reason for a break up that you can think of I’m sure you’ll hear as the real reason they broke up. I don’t know why they broke up. If I did, I’d tell you what I’ve heard. If I’ve heard anything regarding it, it’s that it just didn’t work out. Sometimes that happens.

Why people are searching for this major reason for a break up is beyond me. There’s been 28 previous couples from this franchise, and only 4 have made it. Four. So why are people surprised if a couple breaks up anymore? Those four that made it are the exception, not the rule. Andi and Josh are no different than any other couple from this show. They have their reasons why it ended, and if they want to share, they will. But sitting here and being upset and having it ruin your day that two people you saw on TV for 11 episodes broke up is just mind boggling to me. Your priorities are completely out of whack if you let a reality TV couple breaking up affect your mood or your day in any way, shape, or form. They’ll move on from it and so should you.

Ratings are in from last night, and as expected, a drop from the first episode considering it was going up against the national championship game. Last week’s premiere drew 7.7 million viewers. This week is down to 6.5 million. I expect it to stay in the 6 million viewer range for the next few weeks, before picking up and probably hitting the 7 millions again as we get closer to the end.

Remember, tomorrow will be “Reader Emails” with “Dr. Reality Steve” getting its own day on Thursday’s now, so any emails you want answered by tomorrow, be sure to get them in to me by the end of the day. Already have a lot to get to so far, and I think having “Reader Emails” every Wednesday will give everyone something they can make as appointment reading. So for the rest of the season, mark it down: Recaps on Tuesday, “Reader Emails” on Wednesday, “Dr. Reality Steve” on Thursday, with the live video chat Thursday nights. Just let me know when you’re finally sick of me.

Page 1 of 612345...Last »

1. punka

January 13, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Ashley S is this years producer pick. Meaning, she is a plant. I know a guy who has been on multiple reality shows, gets hired to do a job in the early episodes then gets canned when the real action starts. Just there in the early parts for some nonsense to boost ratings at first. Once the field gets cut back and some girls start to be frontrunners, that nonsense is not required anymore. It is a reality TV industry thing, so please don’t act like it does’n’t happen.

No rationale guy keeps picking Ashley S after her behavior on that date last night. So yeah, she is the producer pick. She is just there to mess with Chris and the girls for a while. She is the Michelle Money of this season.

2. lk23

January 13, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Did you see Chris’s People blog? http://www.people.com/article/chris-soules-bachelor-blog-episode-2
    He mentions that it wasn’t shown, but a girl named Evie crashed his and Mackenzie’s date. I think you originally named Evie as a contestant on the show, wonder why they didn’t show this…

3. diora

January 13, 2015 at 12:41 PM

What happened to Tandra? I didn’t see her receive a rose nor did I see her exit.

4. maddie86

January 13, 2015 at 12:48 PM

I understand anything for ratings but Ashley should not be on the show, I have no idea what to make of it either. Britt seems sweet but I don’t believe for a second she came in with the goal of staying until the end, she’s an actress and she’s a very good one too – I have to give her that. I love Whitney, hopefully in the coming weeks we will be privy to more intelligent conversations but who knows.

5. angelfish

January 13, 2015 at 1:07 PM

That Evie was from Oklahoma, so unless she specifically decided to stalk the whole production, it wasn’t the same girl. Likely just a local whackadoodle trying to get on camera.

6. vessel

January 13, 2015 at 1:17 PM

I wish Steve would put a little description of what the videos are of, the deleted scenes, etc. for those of us not living in the U.S. since we’re unable to view them.

January 13, 2015 at 1:29 PM

I don’t think the dialogue is going to get much better. Old McDonald is probably a nice guy and I’m not saying he’s a moron, but he lives a simple life & he’s doesn’t really have an outgoing personality. What do you talk about in Bumphuck, Iowa anyways? Corn? Combines? Pork Belly Futures? Maybe the cool new talkie movie theater over there in Mount Pilot? You add in a bunch of pretty, but vacuous girls (with or without the high pitched squeaky voices) and what do you expect? I’m sure with the F4 Chris’ got, there will be plenty of sexual chemistry that may make it more interesting (the Bob Guiney record may well be ready to fall), but I expect that they will need to pour in as much drama as possible…. or this could be the most painful Bachelor ever. Chris is going to be one of those guys who specializes in awkward silences, wide eyed staring into space, befuddled body language and foolish facial expressions. You pick a farmer…. you get a farmer. Whitney seems like a nice girl. She’s probably completely sincere. But at the end of the day, you’re going to pick up and move to rural Iowa? I’m a city boy and I get nervous in cities of 500,000 or less. I can’t fathom a city (is it really a city?) that has less than 400 people. It’s a very Twilight Zone concept to me. It would freak me out. This pairing is never going to work for that reason alone, even if they really like/love each other. Some sacrifices are just not realistically going to be made for a guy you just met a few weeks ago.

8. bazooka

January 13, 2015 at 2:10 PM

The whole Juelia/Jillian thing at the rose ceremony was the icing on the cake. Slipped and fell in front of everyone and it wasn’t even your name that was called. I was dying

9. lauren1969

January 13, 2015 at 4:34 PM

RE: Ashley, it’s one thing to exploit drama queens and over-imbibers for entertainment sake, but another to exploit someone with a potential real mental disability. This would not be tolerated if the disability was physical! Being a mental health professional trying to watch The Bachelor, I was not entertained by how Ashley’s scenes were depicted; excessive screen time, “crazy” music playing in the background, nobody trying to help her. I was disturbed at the ethics on display on a number of fronts. Ashley’s behavior may have been out of anyone’s control on the set, but certainly the final edit we all see is subjective.
    Perhaps Ashley was suffering a stress- or substance-triggered psychotic break (in other words, something “temporary”) last night, or maybe she has a more serious ongoing issue. None of us – including Chris, the show’s producers, and the viewers – knows what’s really going on. Maybe Ashley herself does or doesn’t either. All I know is the edit job she got was humiliating, even though many will say she “earned” it. Imagine having your friends, family, employer, and all of America see you at your worst with a brain chemistry imbalance – temporary or not? I worry for her ability to handle the repercussions.
    By submitting themselves to being on this show, I realize these women are set up to be treated at the whim of producers looking for ratings, and, ultimately, revenue. That’s just the reality of this sort of programming. But there has to be a place where human decency trumps profits and ratings; where someone’s health and wellbeing are regarded and respected. I hope it can be a lesson show producers embrace without the experience of a tragedy to modify current judgment and practices.

10. angelsbbfan

January 13, 2015 at 6:04 PM

So, I guess what you’re saying is you don’t have the episode by episode spoiler list today??? Hehehe

11. angelfish

January 13, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Lauren1969,
    You realize that the producers have a complete background and medical history on all the contestants, right? And the ABC Network, owned by Disney, is never going to put themselves in a situation where a mentally ill person is going to be able to file suit against them for mistreatment, right? You do understand that despite any waivers a contestant has signed, a gigantic multinational conglomerate is NEVER going to open themselves up to that kind of possible liability.

Ashley is acting crazy, except for when she’s not. We see the sequences the producers have edited to show her acting crazy.

Can anybody honestly believe that her family or friends wouldn’t have said something if she was truly mentally compromised?

It’s a gimmick to get people talking. And it’s been working GREAT! *LOL*

12. ladyjane747

January 13, 2015 at 10:53 PM

Exactly Angelfish, Ashley is either a producer plant or she’s acting to stand out and stick around. There’s no way ABC would keep a mentally imbalanced person on the show – imagine the liability if she harmed herself or someone else. Even when Gia killed herself a few years after being on the show, ABC made it clear that all the contestants underwent psych evals and also spoke to a psych when they were eliminated, just in case someone decided to hold ABC liable for Gia’s suicide, blaming the show. No way is this chick really crazy.

13. duckquack

January 13, 2015 at 10:54 PM

looks good on Josh ridiculing Nick and JP showing off his macho self worth, by putting other men down for a p***y.
    they had to show up on the Premiere, its a Bachelor nation you owe us….plus they have no say as in when to announce the break-up….as if Harrison will tell the truth about it.

what do some of you think about Sean Lowe and his book coming out on the 27th of January….Catherine almost left him, she was fuming and did not like Peta his dancing partner….hehe so much for Peta and Sean saying Peta will be at their wedding and choreograph a dance for them…the stoopid giggly Cat would not be in the house she is in if Sean didn’t bust his a** dancing and doing all the appearances…what does she do but pitter patters and copy and paste stuff from what’s on the web.

Anybody see the size of Catherine’s feet, size 11…and her bazookas are like as large as her feet…
    Farmer Chris would suit her better she can really express herself on that farm, no need for shoes, just her umbrella looking cheap cape with oinky oink wings….
    bwahhaha

January 14, 2015 at 5:52 AM

To me, it looked like Ashley was on something, most likely pills mixed with alcohol. But, who knows? I see the concern around her being mentally ill. It certainly crossed my mind & although I would think the show’s lawyers would veto including somebody who’s mentally ill, you can never underestimate the show for their ability to exploit anything for drama and ratings. Since Old McDonald is such a dud in the personality department, the entertainment has to come from somewhere. Zombies (creating screaming little girls) and cray-cray Ashley were the featured attractions on Monday. Expect more of the same going forward.

January 14, 2015 at 5:55 AM

I know RS is “On” the Whitney has a super annoying voice thing….. and maybe he previewed it as SO annoying that I was expecting much worse. But, I don’t think her voice is that annoying. It’s ….. semi-normal. There is an affectation in there, I realize. But if RS hadn’t said anything, causing a some heavy analyzing, I don’t think I would have noticed anything at all. Maybe it’s just me.

16. rawrkaz

January 14, 2015 at 8:32 AM

At Robb2 – finally! Someone else who feels this way. I started watching with trepidation and it’s really not that bad. I’ve heard much worse.

17. escherfan

January 14, 2015 at 10:49 AM

It’s not just RS going on about Whitney’s god-awful voice. I wrote that on his blog the night after I saw her. Seriously? Chris want’s to listen to that annoying, high-pitched bizarre voice with the funky accent for the rest of his life? I’d sooner harvest the entire corn crop by hand before I would spend even 10 minutes with her. She’s pretty, sure, but once she opens her mouth, everything is ruined.

18. cjscjs711

January 14, 2015 at 9:28 PM

@lauren1969 The Ashley S. Charade bothered me, too. Not because for a minute do I believe she’s honestly as crazy as she portrays herself to be but because the whole act is like a parody of mental illness in a way. Personally I think more likely the gal is high on hallucinogens or needs her meds adjusted. At best, it’s an ill-advised, stupid act – parody of mental illness. Or she’s high. What I saw didn’t even look like drunk behavior.

It was Chris’ night. It would have been very wrong of Andi and Josh to announce their breakup there and take attention away from him, or appear to insult him by not showing up at all. Sorry it didn’t work out. We wanted our fairy tale to have a happy ending.

19. ILOVECATS

January 15, 2015 at 3:53 PM

I guess I’ll be the token Iowan defending my home state. In Iowa, we talk about all the other things that people talk about anywhere: politics, sports, movies, music, books, families, themselves, etc. For being a more rural that city-strewn state, we are highly educated and well-informed about global news and culture. It is a beautiful state, with plenty of urban sprawl for you city boys, but a quick drive out to the country gives you peace and quiet and space. Trust me, it is awesome here. If you haven’t been, I’d invite you visit or to shut up and stop talking about how boring it is. I regret that the whole “Who wants to move to Iowa” angle is being exploited by the show, but oh well, guess that comes with being a part of this trainwreck (the show, not my state).

20. bustedstuff

January 15, 2015 at 10:18 PM

First time commenter here! And one time potential bachelorette contestant. I applied for many reasons (to perhaps really find love in a cool way and also to help my broadcast career…and travel- hah!) and they wanted to interview me in person but I had just moved, was super busy and kind of chickened out. Plus, I had a feeling the next bachelor was going to be Sean (which it was) and I had no attraction to him (I like manly men) so knew I couldn’t fake it.

Anyway, all of these women this season are pitiful. I think Whitney was chosen by Chris as she is really just the most normal of all of them. They all seem extremely self-absorbed and very loose (you can still be a vaginal virgin and be a total slut bag!!)

The whole Ashley thing is just ridiculous. It’s so obvious that she is either a plant and/or just a sympathy pick from Chris.

As for Andi and Josh- I think it was pretty much over when it was revealed she slept with Nick and then accepted his engagement right after. They’re both intense people and that would be awfully hard to deal with and get over in general. I know I couldn’t get over it! Josh actually seems like a very loyal man and it probably crushed him and made him angry and resentful when he learned that she did this.

21. gobsmacked

January 17, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Andy and Josh is a publicity stunt, get on camera, remind everyone how much they love us, announce 3 days later (just enough to bounce off the show but not too much to bring down the show), then wait a few days and run with the publicity. Silly.

I just watched the 2nd episode, I wait for RS’s recap before watching, otherwise I miss the little stuff.

Ashley seems like an acting job or one really in need of help. Let’s hope its acting. The producers must know the truth, so if they’re not getting her help then it must be acting.

The girls using mourning as a gimmick is kind of sick, how many ? The dad, the husbands? Julia’s crying on the couch while all the girls act sad for her, but in reality are not, they’re probably all counting her out at that point. Gotta hand it to the producers for that pick. How’d they think that would play? Do any of these girls have morals? What about the families of these guys? I’d like to hear how they think about the wife in mourning on a television show using the death of their husband for publicity. That’s going as low as one can go.

Gotta hand it to Whitney. Since RS has been right on the final picks for years, I feel for Chris dealing with “that voice” on a day to day basis. Maybe he thinks she’ll be good on the farm hollering for the animals to come a running. @Robb22 what’s up with your ears? That voice is god-awful seriously. Chris and Whitney together on the farm I hardly doubt it.

Another good train wreck season. Thanks for the recap Steve you nailed it.