Reader Emails

A Huge “Reader Email” Bag Today Including Reaction to the Letters from Dustin’s Family

Maybe I should’ve waited to post the episode-by-episode spoilers for the remainder of the season to a day when I didn’t post the letters Dustin’s family had written to me. It’s mostly been a positive response, but you’ll see a few emails that didn’t like that I gave the family a voice to speak their mind and/or didn’t like what the family had to say. Which is fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. When Juelia told Chris the story of Dustin’s suicide during a pool party not ever having been on a date with a guy and knowing him less than 10 days, I immediately called her out on Twitter for it saying I thought it was “horsesh**.” The family came to me days later and said they didn’t appreciate what she said and asked if they could have a voice. I gave it to them and I stand by it. There is not gonna be back and forth between both camps. Juelia said what she did on the show, and the family said what they did in yesterday’s column. I consider it over now and everyone has the right to voice their opinion. I may not agree with it, but you can certainly voice it, and you’ll see a few who didn’t like it in “Reader Emails” today. Whew. Uhhhhh, so how ’bout that Super Bowl this Sunday, huh? Who ya’ got?

Our newest writer Nell Kalter has her RHOBH recap up now so check it out. If you missed her VPump Rules recap you can click that link to see it as well. Since I have a new found love for Brandi Glanville, maybe I should start watching that show.

Don’t forget. Get your “Dr. Reality Steve” emails in if you want them answered for tomorrow’s column. I think I only have 3 right now, so it’ll most definitely get answered if you get it in to me by tomorrow morning.

Did you see Jimmy Kimmel break down Chris’ response when Britt called him out for giving Kaitlyn a rose? If you didn’t, you must. Here it is:

Here are your deleted scenes from this week’s “Bachelor” episode…

Whitney wants Chris to get a little frisky:

Crazy Ashley S. is at it again:

Chris’ sisters giving him advice:

1. hattiebloom

January 28, 2015 at 9:47 AM

I’m with the last writer about the letters.

I feel like I’m now privy to a very sensitive family feud….and I don’t want to be! It feels weird.

This family is in so much pain and has so much anomosity toward their former daughter-in-law. That much is clear.

Yes it was wrong of ABC to exploit this tragedy. Who knows how Juelia’s conversation with Chris was edited and pared down….but we certainly got to read the entirety of Dustin’s family’s thoughts, didn’t we?

I would have been fine with them emphasizing their disappointment in Juelia….but they went on and on with way too much dirty laundry. The fact that they hadn’t told anyone he killed himself with a gun is THEIR problem. I also don’t understand the extreme term that they claim Juelia portrayed Dustin as a “monster.” Huh?

Regardless, way to step in the mud Steve.

2. angelfish

January 28, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Wow. The letter writer who described her conversations with her dad about The Bachelor moved me more than the Juelia & Family letters. Not to minimize their pain, but perspective is hard thing to keep in emotional situations.

My dad is in his 80’s, and I know how profoundly lucky I am to still have him. Her letter contained a lot of wisdom, and that’s a gratifying thing to see.

3. mainah

January 28, 2015 at 12:30 PM

I’m hoping to see Jillian and Cody hook-up in BIP2.

4. sarahe

January 28, 2015 at 12:38 PM

I think it was natural for the family to be upset about Juelia’s actions. She really should not have even gone on the show so soon after this happened, and for both the show AND her to exploit the situation just makes things that much worse. The family has a right to be hurt. With that being said, I don’t feel the family was in the right coming to you either, Steve. Putting aside Juelia’s inappropriate behavior, they have a young child to think about here with Ireland in the picture and I think both parties should be ashamed of themselves. A daughter lost her father in an incredibly upsetting way and she’s a baby. Now, there is a way for her to know that during this difficult time, her Mom exploited the situation and the family chose to attack her mother on a public forum because of it. Very irresponsible on both ends. I just hope Ireland can be brought up in a peaceful environment free of the hurt and animosity these decisions have caused.

5. hkhazzard

January 28, 2015 at 12:51 PM

LOL @ mainah…. they can bench press each other

6. angelfish

January 28, 2015 at 3:09 PM

I agree, Jillian is a lock for BIP2. But I don’t think Cody would go through the process a THIRD time. But then, he’s such an optimistic & upbeat person, he may think “Third time’s the charm!” *LOL*

And he did uproot his life to move in with Michelle, so he’s not a huge 5-year plan kinda guy. So yeah, they’d be perfect for each other!

7. elizabeth82

January 28, 2015 at 6:42 PM

I think it’s kinda funny that Steve thinks Nikki is most attractive (along with Britt) since she basically has no lips and he’s always making fun of Chris (and his sisters) for lacking an upper lip.

Steve, we get it, you like looking at Jade’s naked pics. It’s weird that a girl who did full frontal, total nudity comes across as so demure (except when she’s making out in stripper heels on a bed with Chris).

I’m hoping Steve’s prediction of Britt as next Bachelorette as wrong, as I’d rather see Kaitlyn, or even Carly. Britt seems jealous of Kaitlyn and as though Chris should only have eyes for her (Britt). I mean, has she seen this show before? Also, if she leaves on her own because she’s not getting enough attention from Chris and isn’t a front runner anymore, I also don’t think that’s likeable. Do you like Chris or not? Then see the process through.

8. kokopuff2144

January 28, 2015 at 8:01 PM

I agree with Hattiebloom re: the letter from Dustin’s family. We now have too much information about a reasonably private family matter. I agree that the fact that they hadn’t told anyone Dustin had used a gun to take his life is their problem, and it’s possible Juelia didn’t know the method was being kept a secret, or didn’t think revealing it was a big deal. I had a cousin who returned from VietNam to find his wife with another man. He drove his dog into the forest and used car exhaust to take his life and the life of his beloved dog. Depression is a horrible thing, but people understand it can cause someone to make desperate decisions. The family could have said that – and left it at that. All the rest was really unnecessary. I hope it has helped them to have shared Dustin’s story with the rest of the world.

9. nora j

January 29, 2015 at 7:56 AM

If Britt is the next bachelorette I hope someone helps her with wardrobe and make up. I was actually surprised by her personality as we got to know her because she doesn’t sound nearly as immature as the way she dresses. She’s cute but the way she dresses is so cheesy….it’s like what I would wear to an 80s costume party…or if I were a call girl.

Whitney on the other hand dresses very classy…she’s a good match for Chris though…they’re both kind of dorky in the same way.

January 29, 2015 at 8:20 AM

Whitney is pretty normal. Her voice isn’t that annoying to me, and obviously not to Chris. I can definitely see the two of them together…… just not in Wherethehell is that, IA. I can’t imagine that a Fertility Nurse is in really high demand there. She’d have to be unbelievably committed to Chris, after the 10 week show, to buy into an Iowa farm life. Oh, IDK, maybe she could switch her career to animal husbandry. It could happen.

11. Dreamy

January 29, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Great recap as usual. Thanks!

12. v1ck1

February 17, 2015 at 2:02 AM

Please don’t choose Britt. She doesn’t have much personality. Carly would be the best choice. She is not afraid to be honest and down-to-earth, and she is fun to watch! The show will be very entertaining if Carly is the next Bachelorette.