Reader Emails

A Super Duper Batch of “Reader Emails,” Becca’s Sister Lashes Out, & Britt on “Kimmel”

So yesterday I told you about my birthday party in Vegas that’ll take place in a little over 3 months from now. I wanted to get it out there early to give people a chance to plan ahead. For those wondering, my birthday is actually May 31st, but that weekend is a major diamond convention and prices for rooms anywhere were through the roof. Anyway, I’m overwhelmed and flattered by the response from yesterday. I said I can only limit the party to about 55-60 people on Friday night, June 5th. We’ve already got 30 people who have RSVP’d, so spots are filling up fast. Granted, only a couple went and booked flights yesterday (which amazed me), but the people who wanted in didn’t sound like they were going to be backing out. So if you’re interested in coming, I would at least let me know you’re interested as soon as possible and I can put you on the temporary list. When you book your flight and/or hotel reservation (you can stay wherever you want), and you show me the confirmation, you will be on the guest list. I will do that until I get roughly 60 people confirmed. After that, if you still want to come, we’ll have to discuss how, and if, we can make that work. Obviously any of you can come to Vegas that weekend, but for the party, I have to limit it for fire hazard reasons.

Remember how I said how excited I was for the WTA this weekend because I wanted to see which Bachelor guys started stalking the new fresh meat to the franchise? Well Samantha being a former Top 10 Miss USA finisher, although not a lot of screen time on the show, was definitely gonna be one of the more sought after ladies. Guys might have to take a backseat though, as the Daily Mail posted this yesterday. Obviously a staged photo shoot because the story HAS to mention what Samantha is wearing and what line it’s from, but if she’s hanging with Jeremy Piven, well, I think people are going to start drawing conclusions. Not the greatest of looks if you ask me considering that guy is one Hollywood’s all time pervs. Stories about him and his parties are legendary. Good luck, Sam.

Nell Kalter’s RHOBH recap is now up, so check it out if you follow that show. I don’t. I should because Brandi. Don’t ask me why I’ve suddenly become infatuated with her, but I am. Leave her alone LeAnn!!!!!!

Don’t forget your “Dr. Reality Steve” questions for tomorrow. If you’re writing in to give an update on a previous one sent in, don’t forget to include your original email, or at least a link to it. The doctor is anxiously awaiting your sex/marriage/relationship queries. Jade, I’m here for you.

So Becca’s sister Katie, who spoke the most during her hometown date on Monday, took to Twitter last night to rant a little bit about the editing the family got. Katie, the floors is yours:

Ok, I don’t really see what the point of all that was. If you didn’t like the show in the first place, then why even agree to appear on it? Not only that, why agree to let them film the hometown date in your house? The funny thing is nothing she said is stuff we haven’t heard time and time again over the years. We know the show is heavily edited. We know they are only showing America a snippet of what happened that day. We’re 11 years and 29 seasons in now. If these people don’t know what they’re getting into by agreeing to participate in this silly show, it’s their own fault. I’ve said all season that Becca is one of the most normal people we’ve ever had on this show – ever. It’s amazing she even decided to do this because she’s so NOT what this show is about. But to have family complain after the fact kinda falls on deaf ears because, well, we already know this. If you didn’t know this show could’ve possibly portrayed you a way that you aren’t, then don’t agree to do it in the first place. Lesson learned I guess.

Just like Ashley last week, Britt appeared via Skype on Jimmy Kimmel last night. Here was her performance:

Yes, you can tell she absolutely wants to be the “Bachelorette.” Just like most things she does, some of you will hate it, and some of you will love it. She definitely is one of the most happy, jolly, free spirited people in the world that’s for sure. Will it make for a good “Bachelorette?” We shall see.

1. punk

February 18, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Britt nailed her audition on Kimmel. She has the momentum now. It is gonna be her.

2. lisa e

February 18, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Britt is just too phony. Too many issues. Her highs and lows are just too dramatic.
    This season had the worst/weakest/trashiest batch of women yet.
    All brazen self-promoters! Hell, even Whitney, though likeable, landed on the show via Jaclyn and the other Bachelor alumni in Chicago!

3. fcew

February 18, 2015 at 12:12 PM

It has been said that Britt is a bath girl, not a shower girl. So she takes baths, not showers. So saying she doesn’t take showers is correct, but it’s not she doesn’t wash or clean herself, she just doesn’t shower. Not a big deal.

Still though, I don’t want her to be Bachelorette. She’s clearly a fame whore. Nothing wrong with that, but not appealing to watch on a show about “finding your true love” when you know she’s just trying to get on some other show. Maybe she should pursue soap opera acting, she certainly has the over acting down with the dramatic pauses for effect.

February 18, 2015 at 12:24 PM

I know Britt isn’t coming off great, but remember, Ali was edited as the Wicked b*tch of the West in her Bachelor stint and Andi didn’t exactly come off positive either, though she got a partial pass for her take down of that idiot JPah-blow because…. well, he deserved it. Both had their images rehabilitated through the WTA & subsequent media appearances, so the same could be true of Britt (e.g. the Kimmel appearance & upcoming WTA). Bottom line, a bad edit and popularity issues can be overcome. If the show wants her, they’ll help fix her image so she’ll be palatable. It’s never been a problem in the past.

Obviously it’s all individual opinion on whether someone will be good/bad, etc. But the show knows that they can turn around the image if need be. Her current unpopularity is not a major barrier.

Look at The Bachelor picks. Juan Pah-blow and Old McDonald. Tell me those were inspired picks. A couple of babbling doofuses. How were the ratings? You would think they would have dropped, right? They didn’t. Basically the show knows that the numbers don’t lie. Whoever they pick, even a complete Jackwagon like JPBlow, the ratings will be there. They’ve got a formula and Britt fits the formula. Kaitlyn would probably do fine, but she’s not the front runner.

5. vessel

February 18, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Gotta agree, after watching Britt on Kimmel I feel very sure it’s going to be her. Too bad, I was really hoping for Kaitlyn.

6. angelfish

February 18, 2015 at 1:32 PM

“Her highs and lows are just too dramatic.”

And that’s exactly why she would be a perfect lead. Britt lovers will tune in to love Britt and Britt haters will tune in to hate Britt.

But people WILL tune in regardless. And they will talk, talk, talk all over the Internet. And that’s precisely what the producers care about.

7. cjscjs711

February 18, 2015 at 1:35 PM

When Whitney talked about her 1-on-1 with Chris she didn’t gush about kissing, as 21-year old Mackensie did at a time when she was the first. (Little did they know then, how much of the same they’d all get later…..) Whitney always seemed to show consideration of the other girls’ feelings.

Neither did Whitney glow, talking about a two-hour “nap” alone in a hotel room, as Hollywood wannabe actress Britt did.

8. angelfish

February 18, 2015 at 3:16 PM

” Her highs and lows are just too dramatic.”

And that is exactly why she’d be perfect. People that love Britt will tune in to love Britt, and people who hate Britt will tune in to hate Britt.

And they will ALL talk, talk, talk about her & her contestants. The exact thing the producers want.

What will NOT happen is that people won’t watch. They will. They always do, no matter how much they bitch & gripe about the lead.

9. jaclyn

February 18, 2015 at 3:35 PM

Hi Reality Steve (assuming you read the comments),
    I just wanted to offer a response to a suggestion offered in one of your reader emails. They offered the suggestion that maybe Chris and Whitney could live in a bigger city/community and Chris could maybe commute to work. So here is the scoop coming from a farmers wife:
    My husband and I (along with his parents) dairy and beef farm right around 1000 acres in southern Missouri. Prior to us getting married,I lived about 40 miles away from “the farm.” During summer months and times when they were short handed on the farm I rarely got to see him because of the distance and LONG hours. Commuting to work is not an option for any serious farmer (by serious I mean you do it for a living not a hobby). We have a farm five miles away that we cant put some of our livestock on right now because we are afraid they will lamb or calve during the night and we don’t wont to be driving an additional 10 miles twice in the middle of the night to check on them. I know Chris does a lot more crop farming than us, but it is my understanding he owns livestock as well. Here is the thing…. No you cannot live an hour away and commute to work if you are a “career” farmer. It is not an option. Farming is a demanding job. Sometimes you get by with just the “day shit” other times you are pulling all nighters. Again, not an option so there is no need for ANYONE to speculate about it. Period. With that being said, I would like to add one more thing. I grew up in a small town of about 2000 people. It is the town we do some of our business in, and the town I teach in. I have lived here all my life. Not only have I lived in a rural area all my life, my parents also farmed when I was a small child so I understood the lifestyle when I got married. With all of that being said, I will say this:
    It was still a huge ADJUSTMENT to be married to a “career” farmer. HUGE! There were times we really struggled. And I had lived that life before, and always lived a small-town lifestyle. There is NO WAY Chris is going to pluck a girl out of a city and move her to a farm whose closest community is what, 400 people?! It will be sunshine and rainbows for awhile…. but it wont last. Farming is a very difficult lifestyle because it is so demanding when it comes to time and resources. It is not for everybody. There is a reason why only 1% of our nation does it.
    Anyway, that was my response and a little bit of my soap box. Thanks for reading. I REALLY enjoy your work, Reality Steve. You make the show entertaining. Keep it up.

10. shirls429

February 18, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Loved Britt on Jimmy Kimball and hope she will be the next Bachelorette. Carly was mean and Snarky and obviously jealous of Britt!!

11. dulcinea14

February 18, 2015 at 7:23 PM

Watching Britt on the show was like watching a really bad actress. Over-the-top with everything. It’s so incredibly obvious that she was there as an actress. I find it disconcerting that some people could be so naive to see her actions as normal and not the fake behavior of an amateur actress. I guess not everyone can be so observant and recognize phony human behavior. Part of the reason why I like reading Sharleen Joynt’s blog is because she nails it. Disappointed that RS is Britt blind.

12. karynr

February 19, 2015 at 5:52 AM

Team Kaitlyn….she’s very attracive with a good, seemingly sincere, personality.

I think Carly is adorable.

I really don’t want to have to look at Britt’s lips (and fake over-the-top reactions) for the next Bachelorette season. She’s a beautiful girl/woman with a facade that seems quite phony.

I don’t like Steve’s comments about Jade. I found her very likeable and sweet. I made a lot of unwise decisions in my 20’s and think a lot of us can say the same thing. But, RS can be very judgemental.

13. hattiebloom

February 19, 2015 at 6:37 AM

Britt is nauseating.

14. hattiebloom

February 19, 2015 at 7:01 AM

My comments aren’t posting, so apologies for any redundancy.

I just read the post about Jef Holm’s sister commenting on Britt’s pic. Holy moly…..the sister sounds like she wants Jef to bring home a new puppy….aka Britt. Gag!!!

15. knightjorge

February 19, 2015 at 6:05 PM

One of your reader emails asked for someone who has read Sean Lowe’s book to comment about it. I’ve read the book.

It’s pretty vanilla. He talks a lot about things that he has covered in different interviews over the last couple of years. He wrote about his college years, how he ended up getting on “The Bachelorette” show, his relationship with Emily and his experience doing that show, and how he ended up being “The Bachelor.” All pretty expected. He does speak out more about his relationship with Catherine and how things developed between them after the show, especially all the changes that they were both dealing with while he was doing DWTS. He speaks about his faith, the development of Catherine’s faith, some of the issues they dealt with in those early months while they were figuring each other out post “The Bachelor.” I thought it was a really good read if you want to know about Sean and Sean & Catherine. If you want dirt on the show Courtney’s books is definitely the best one for that information. You can also get a fair amount of behind the scenes information from listening to Molly and Jason’s podcast.

Hope that information helps!

16. fcew

February 20, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Reportedly Britt takes baths instead of showers. So long as she washes herself somehow….