The Bachelor 19 - Chris

The “Bachelor” Chris Overnight Date Episode Recap Incl Chris on DWTS, Bachelorette Poll, and

Traveling sure is fun, isn’t it? I was set to go home on Sunday, but due to the ice storm we had in Dallas, my flight Sunday was cancelled and for whatever reason, I couldn’t get a new flight in until today at noon. So not only was I screwed having to watch the show on west coast time (I can’t believe I used to do that from 2002-06), but it gave me less time to start typing last night and finishing up this morning. So there might be a few more errors than usual this week. I apologize in advance. But hey, if you wanna check out my niece Olivia’s thoughts on watching the show for the first time last night, go read my Twitter account. As of right now my flight is scheduled to leave on time but you never know. I heard it’s still pretty icy in Dallas and the roads are brutal. Those on the east coast who have to deal with this a lot more than we have to, I get it. You gotta understand though, this happens in Dallas maybe once a year, and when it does, we’re never prepared which is why people start crashing into one another. For you guys it’s like another season. With that said, I’m not looking forward to driving in it when I get home today. Booooooooooo.

Hey, you’ll never believe this, but the city of Arlington isn’t too thrilled with how they were portrayed during episode 7 last Sunday night. Gee, ya’ think? The best part about that article is when they say reps for ABC had no comment on the matter. Exactly. Because they don’t care how you were portrayed. The second you sign on to be part of this show, you’re signing a deal with the devil. Sucks to be you.

As most of you probably heard, the DWTS cast was announced this morning but they left one male off to be announced “at a later date.” Only other time they did this was with Sean, so it’s pretty much the worst kept secret that Chris is going to be on DWTS this season. I’m not breaking any news here. This morning’s cast announcement pretty much solidified it. And his partner will be last year’s winner, Witney Carson. Well isn’t that coincidental? How cute. Whitney as his fiancee, and Witney as his dance partner. Just go look at her Instagram account and it’s apparent what’s going on. It’s like they’re not even trying to hide it anymore.

Speaking of signing on to be a part of this show, someone who made the final 50 of Des’ season wrote an article of what the experience was like. I know you’ve heard me tell the tales over and over and over through the years of what the casting process is like, but now you get to read it first hand from someone who went through it. It’s just as ridiculous as I’ve explained it to you, if not worse. Everything this guy said I’ve heard time and time again through the years from people who have gotten to final 50 and got cut, or even made it. Hilarious how stealth they keep this.

Did you see Chris Harrison pat himself and the show on the back during this this interview with E! Online? Holy smokes. Could he possibly congratulate himself any more? Probably not. Don’t get carried away, buddy. This season was exactly the same as past seasons. Mike Fleiss’ pep talk didn’t do sh** to make this season any better or worse. The funny thing is how Chris avoids the elephant in the room in all this, which is how they edit and splice people up to create characters that aren’t necessarily them, which is essentially what makes the show. But hey, congrats on another successful season. Just means this site is successful too and I’m sure that makes people sick over there.

Nell Kalter’s “Vanderpump Rules” recap is now up. What’s happening over there? Is that one dude still being a complete douchelicker? Or that was one girl still slutting it up with the rest of the cast? I really have no idea. I’ve never seen 5 minutes of it, but it sure looks fascinating. Get your emails in for “Reader Emails” and “Dr. Reality Steve” the next couple days. Already a lot to go over.

Ratings are in from last night, and while they kept the same 2.6 rating in the Adult Demo that they had from last week, the show got it’s highest viewer audience of the season with 8.9 million viewers. Again, people watch no matter who is cast. Hell, they could cast Samantha the Mute as the next “Bachelorette” and this show would draw 6-7 million a week. Why? The formula, not the lead.

I know you’re asking about the WTA spoilers from this past weekend, but as of now, I don’t have too many details. Everyone who you expect to be there was, and it looks like both Ashleys, Kelsey, Britt, Carly, and Kaitlyn get called up to the hot seat. Once I get any more details, I will share with you, but starting tomorrow (or maybe even today), ABC will start promoting the show with clips so I’ll put those in columns the next couple days once they’re released. I’ll see if I can come up with any details regarding what was said or how much they ganged up on Britt, which is about the only thing I’ve heard up to this point.

As for this week’s poll question, it’s very simple. Rather than get a bunch of emails and/or tweets about it, you can just vote right here. Simple, straight forward question:

I’ve told you all season I wanted it to be Britt and I saw her getting that role. I think it’s safe to say that everything is setting up for Kaitlyn to get the role now. No, I haven’t completely given up hope on Britt, but I’ve come around a bit on Kaitlyn. I’m gonna watch and spoil the show regardless so I really don’t care who ends up as the lead, but there are a lot of signs pointing to them going with Kaitlyn at this point. Filming begins two weeks from tonight, so they definitely need to make their decision soon. I expect it to be made behind-the-scenes in the next few days, but it won’t be “official” until the ATFR on March 9th. Once I hear who it is I’ll obviously tell you, but it’s certainly looking like Kaitlyn at this point. I’ll hold a candle for Britt until I hear it’s definitely not her, but I don’t mind Kaitlyn either. I’ve come around a bit on her and won’t mind her in that role. Couldn’t see it January, but I can see it now.

Here are your trio of Chris blogs for the week. Chris Harrison’s TVGuide.com blog teases a little of what to expect on the WTA. His Yahoo blog pretty much tells you which 6 girls get called up to the hot seat. Really? No Jade? They’re definitely steering clear from having her talk about her past again. As for Chris’ People.com blog, it’s basically an apology to Kaitlyn, and a really concerted effort to make people think that there’s a chance he’s picking Becca in two weeks. Keep thinking that.

1. missannmcd

February 24, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Yay Kaitlin! You go be the bach/ette girl!

2. punk

February 24, 2015 at 11:06 AM

If either of those girls are willing to move to Arlington and be a housewife, Chris needs to put a ring on it, and then make them happy.

Arlington might be a great place filled with wonderful people, but going to a town with 400 people vs. Chicago or San Diego is a monumental step in lifestyle change.

I like both the girls. They seem genuine. Hope Chris chooses correctly, because this is definitely different than the normal Bach situation. Small Town America, or Dallas/Bay Area. etc. Changes the equation for sure.

3. coffeeinchicago

February 24, 2015 at 11:39 AM

I saw an interview with Sharleen from JP’s season where she talks about how they whisper because the cameras are so close to their face, and even though you’re mic’ed, in that situation it creates a false sense of intimacy. Guessing that’s why Chris whisper-dumped Kaitlyn.

As a fellow Chicagoan, I can’t imagine commuting to Highland Park from the city. You’re looking at 90 minutes to two hours one way, either on a Metra train or sitting in horrendous traffic on 90/94. Unless she lives in the suburbs, it makes me think maybe Whitney took a job where she could telecommute…

4. shouldbeworking

February 24, 2015 at 11:45 AM

I thought it interesting that in the moment of heartbreak, Kaitlyn thought to put her seat belt on while being whisked away. Safety first ! I have never seen that before in the hundred or so rejected finalists. Makes me question how much she really was wanting to be with Chris. Who would even think of that at that moment of rejection?

5. imweezie1

February 24, 2015 at 12:34 PM

can’t find the link right now but one article shows Chris and Whitney on her home town. The scrubs she’s wearing say the name of the new job, not the old. she must have been there for a little while at least

February 24, 2015 at 12:54 PM

From the Arlington article where they complain the town was wrongly portrayed. “We have a library, a bank and a medical clinic”. And?…. So, yeah cool. Those are the places I want to go hang out. A library (who needs the internet, anyway. Libraries are just so cool). A bank. Yeah, people won’t draw down on me if I try to hang out there. Medical clinic. I guess I could keep going in for colonoscopies, but wouldn’t they get wise to that after a while? Yeah, you’re right. Arlington got screwed on the portrayal!

I do think it’s funny, though, that the Arlington stuff was just closed for the day & The Bachelor portrayed it like they were all permanently closed. As if it wasn’t bad enough.

7. bachfann

February 24, 2015 at 12:58 PM

If you go back and watch Whitney’s hometown date, she is wearing scrubs from aParent, which is the place she apparently just started working at this month… interesting.

8. peepsforpeace

February 24, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Steve, your comment about Kaitlin’s hair being ‘disgusting’ cause it was ‘nappy’ was RUDE. Thanks for insulting every black woman out there. Ugh.

9. karynr

February 24, 2015 at 1:13 PM

My thoughts exactly…..possibly telecommuting with the new job. It would make sense for that type of position.

I’ll be glad if it’s Katilyn. Britt got on my nerves after a while.

10. gemsnob

February 24, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Steve went overboard once again with comments about Whitney. Remember they supposedly got engaged in Nov. The show is not over so they haven’t been seen in public. Even if Whitney took a different job it makes sense. It could be a year or more before any wedding. Is Chris going to support her while he is on DWTS? For God’s sake they haven’t spent one minute in public and Steve is already bashing them. I applaud Whitney for looking after herself. Not everyone is like Catherine who up and quit her job to be Sean’s lap dog while he was on DWTS. She spent a wad getting her BSN degree so is she supposed to up and quit and do nothing “hoping” that her & Chris actually make it? She is doing the smart thing and looking after herself for now. Stop hating on her judging her for taking a new job!

11. missannmcd

February 24, 2015 at 1:43 PM

A new man is easier to find than a great job!

12. betsy602

February 24, 2015 at 2:20 PM

If he knew Whitney was “the one” then why all the drama over Becca and Kaitlyn? I think it is all build up to Kaitlyn being the Bachelorette. He wasn’t really that in to Kaitlyn other than buddy status. Then he surprisingly gave her the group rose in the last episode. My thought is that she was promoted to build her story. Then, I think Chris H. and the producers took Chris aside and said they wanted him to send Kaitlyn home for the drama as a lead up to her being the Bachelorette.

Whitney strikes me as there to win, playing the game to perfection. She’s watched all the shows and read the playbook and doesn’t miss a move.

We’ll see!

February 24, 2015 at 2:33 PM

I see why people people are getting on Whitney for “playing the game”. I mean, it’s pretty far fetched, before all the particulars, to fall in love with some random guy over six weeks, and agree to marry them. But, when that “random guy” is a farmer with a borderline stutter & permanent dumb look on his face, who lives in a God forsaken hell hole where he insists on living…. and it include the requirement that you quit your dream job, marry said doofus farmer & move to Bumphuck, Egypt…. it’s just too much to take. Plus you have RS egging everyone on. But, it could happen. What’s the Bachelor track record so far? 3% end in marriage? So…. that says it’s not impossible, right? Whitney could have found her soul mate & live happily ever after. Hey, it could happen.

14. elizabeth82

February 24, 2015 at 4:21 PM

My fav part of this recap: “Ladies…you all look beautiful as usual…I’ll have the Benihana Trio with fried rice please…”

rob22, can you not bash libraries? They’re not obsolete solely because of the advent of the internet. Thanks :)

Seems Steve is in the extreme minority wanting Britt to be Bachelorette. Britt was ACTING, and she also came across as very self-centered.

Not sure why Steve is convinced Chris wasn’t interested in finding a wife. Is he just jaded about this show (which makes sense) or is there something he knows about Chris that we don’t?

15. dixiedeltadeb

February 24, 2015 at 4:28 PM

2 quick comments – Britt wears FAR too much makeup and would make the show seem even more fake when you comes out of a swim or hottub and makeup is unaffected. Also, I hope that Chris and Whitney don’t have kids – can you imagine what those two voices and laughs would be like?

16. gailer

February 24, 2015 at 4:34 PM

Steve’s recap of Whitney had me LOL literally. I’m starting to be scared of her. she is after her prey, but it’s interesting that Steve says Chris is a player too and not out to get married anyway. I certainly hope so, not sure who is scarier. I can see Chris being there only to have sex and meet girls. How can he meet any in that god forsaken town?

Rob22, you made me LOL too!

17. hattiebloom

February 24, 2015 at 5:09 PM

NEWS FLASH…..this just in!!!!!!

Becca is a lesbian.

Whitney really is a guy AND battery operated.

That cockle doodle doo you heard in the background as Chris dumped Kaitlyn was actually Chris throwing his voice. He’s multi-talented.

YOU ROCK KAITLYN. BE THE ‘ETTE…..please!!!!

18. kellygirl

February 24, 2015 at 6:56 PM

Sorry, but I don’t buy the idea that Chris came on this show to find a wife. He reportedly was in a seven year relationship, got engaged then got cold feet and called it off. Does anyone believe he would get married to someone he met on this show after very little time together, a few dates here and there and then trip down the aisle? About as probable as the producers portraying him as wanting to be “down on the farm” the rest of his life. Not happening. Just not happening! I give it six months and the “engagement” will blow up.

19. willstone

February 24, 2015 at 9:21 PM

I generally like Steve, but his sniping at Whitney – and some of the mocking comments, too – just make me sad. This is a woman who went into health care and has spent years helping people. Whatever’s in her secret heart, whatever motivated her to go on the show, we’ve seen nothing but niceness from her throughout the season. Every eliminated contestant says Whitney’s kind and genuine. What is she supposed to do at this point, cure cancer? Lay off the nice lady.

20. andirojas09

February 25, 2015 at 5:17 AM

Hi!! thank you Steve. i was wondering.. Does anyone knows if it is true that chris broke his engagement up and went back with his ex Sheena?? Ive heard does rumors…

February 25, 2015 at 6:01 AM

willstone: just to be clear. I think Whitney’s probably all that you say. I like her too. I think it’s more delusion than phoniness that causes her to be attracted to Old McDonald and his Siberian residence requirements. She’s going to wake up one day (hopefully soon) and say “Oh, My God! Who is the dumbass laying next to me & why am I living out the movie Frozen in this God-forsaken hell hole?” Also, “Prince Chris” seems to have an alcohol issue. You almost never see him without a full glass of whisky. (Not just two fingers, but a whole glass!!) I guess that answers the question about what people do in Arlington.

22. serapa

February 25, 2015 at 6:30 AM

I was all Britt Britt Britt until last night honestly. After watching I’m now team Kaitlyn.

They kept Kaitlyn hidden until the last 2 episodes. Before then, it was the Britt show. Britt really is beautiful, but she did not get a good edit. It’s obvious who the producers had chosen back in 2014 for the next Bachelorette.

I didn’t see it in January either. I am in the same boat as RS.

23. Sunnyside422

February 25, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Since I don’t watch every episode minute by minute, I have an opinion of Chris that might not jive with others.

All these women yammer on and on and he sits there with this dumb ass look on his face and I want to smack him. Same expression for every occasion…happy, giddy, sad, bored, etc. He is totally expressionless. And God help this bumpkin, but can he string a few sentences together?

Maybe living out in the wildes of Arlington has rendered him mute. How can any woman with any personality stomach him? This is not a guy who is gonna grab Whitney and throw her on his brass bed and have at her! Boring. At 33, I doubt he will ever change and maybe Whitney at 29 might feel her chances of finding someone are dimming. Sorry girl, I’d keep looking. He is no great catch.

Good recap Steve, as always! Very funny.

24. mariet

February 25, 2015 at 8:11 AM

Whitney going on this show is very puzzling indeed. She lives in a great area of the country, educated, has a great job that she loves, is very pretty, and seems nice. I’m sure she is not at a loss for dates and potential relationships. There is no way she went on this show to find a husband especially Chris. Was it on a dare?

25. mariet

February 25, 2015 at 8:11 AM

26. coffeeinchicago

February 25, 2015 at 8:42 AM

mariet — Take a look at Whitney’s network and you will find your answer.

27. carolina

February 25, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Not excited about Britt or Kaitlyn as next bachelorette. When I look at this group of girls, there isn’t anyone I find I would want to watch. Britt might be the most fun to watch and she might cause some drama, but honestly, there is something about her that she is not really hygenic, she seems to tell people what she thinks they want to hear and is trying way too hard, and has looks that 10 years or so from now will have her looking not that attractive. She will not age well is my opinion strange as that may sound. I think Kaitlyn is all over the place and needs to use some Visine or something. She may be allergic to her makeup or something. HELP!

28. keddo

February 25, 2015 at 10:06 AM

I would say small town prairie life isn’t so bad; you can join a church, ride dirt bikes, quads, and sleds, shoot gophers in the summer, curl in the winter…wait a sec! Arlington doesn’t have a curling rink?! What kind of a farm town is this? He should sell his land and start farming in Saskatchewan, where they have curling rinks. If he’s gonna be in the middle of nowhere, he should at least be able to curl with his wife!

29. mariet

February 25, 2015 at 10:36 AM

coffee– the answer to why she went on the show?

30. nrgrier

February 25, 2015 at 11:22 AM

According to Kevin Murray’s article, ‘The time I was almost a contest on the Bachlorette’ the enitre process to get cast takes over a year. Kelsey’s husband died in May of 2013. If the casting timeframe is roughly the same for all contestants then she would have sought out being on the show (which began filming in the summer of 2014) within a few months of her husbands death. SMH…

31. agatha bee

February 25, 2015 at 11:44 AM

As long as it’s not Britt.