The Bachelor 19 - Chris

The “Bachelor” Finale Recap Including Tons of News & Notes and Exclusive First Look at Guys on the Next “Bachelorette”

So lets get to what everyone is talking about today, and that’s the casting of two “Bachelorettes,” Britt & Kaitlyn. Just so we’re clear right off the bat, Chris Harrison said last night “The 25 men on Night 1 are going to have the ultimate say about who they think would make the best wife.” So even though he doesn’t specifically come out and say, “they will choose who our next ‘Bachelorette’ will be, sending either Britt and Kaitlyn home on the first night,” I’m pretty sure that’s what he’s alluding to. As mentioned in yesterday’s column, I was told early last week that this two “Bachelorette” scenario was a possibility, but I had no idea how strong it was. I thought it could be possible because the show has been adamant over the last 2 weeks saying they had made a decision, so that definitely helped in thinking the rumor was true. But then I thought there wasn’t any way they could possibly keep it a secret after Night 1 so I dismissed it. Then I was told the rumor wasn’t true on Thursday. Of course, then Kaitlyn and Britt were both seen filming intro videos this past weekend, and that was enough to make me say what I did yesterday, that this “surprising twist” they’ve been promoting on the ATFR had nothing to do with Chris’ decision, but probably with the “Bachelorette” decision they made.

Look, if I don’t know something, I tell you I don’t know. Go read any “Reader Emails” column and see how many times weekly I say I don’t know the answer to something. If it’s something that’s already been taped, no, I probably do know the answer to it. But this announcement last night was something that wasn’t in the can, and although I know a lot about this franchise, I certainly don’t know EVERYTHING, nor do I claim to. But the reason I wrote yesterday’s column and alerted you to the possibility of two “Bachelorette’s” was because of what I was hearing, then seeing Britt and Kaitlyn on Twitter this weekend being filmed. It wasn’t that much of a stretch to assume that’s what was coming. So yes, I campaigned for Britt for 3 months, but I never said “she’s the Bachelorette.” I just thought she would be. I think you people know when I say something as fact, and when I say I think something will happen by now, don’t you? Not trying to backtrack at all. Two weeks ago absolutely I said Kaitlyn was gonna be the “Bachelorette.” And she is…just with Britt ha ha. I could’ve not said anything yesterday, but, I was given info that I felt was solid and it turned out to be true. I’m not claiming I knew they were doing this for the last 3 months. Can’t believe some people are thinking that I am.

If I had to guess, I really think producers thought Britt was gonna be their “Bachelorette,” and the more Kaitlyn’s popularity grew with the public, the harder the choice it was for them. So to take it out of their hands, they’re gonna put it in the hands of the guys. Hey, I like the twist. I’ve got no problem with it. The first episode has been the same exact thing every season for the last 10 years essentially (well, outside of anytime they shot out of LA, so Prince Lorenzo, Travis, Charlie, and Emily). But you know what I mean. One person, 25-30 contestants, limo entrances, cocktail party, drama, rose ceremony, etc. At least this will be completely different now in that both Britt and Kaitlyn will have to entertain the guys on the first night and put their best foot forward in essentially hoping to “win” their votes. That’s entertaining.

As for how it’ll work…we really don’t know right now. For those who didn’t read yesterday, I reminded you how they did this back in 2004 on the “Bachelor” with Byron and Jay. Although on that season, the show started with all the women already at the house and it was in the day time, and Byron and Jay showed up dressed casually to talk to the women at a pool party essentially. Then, later that day, the women made their choice of who to vote for. If they wanted Jay, they presented a white rose. If they wanted Byron, a yellow rose. 25 women, so the first guy to get 13 roses was declared the “winner,” thus sending the other guy home. When Byron got his 13th rose, Jay only had seven, so they didn’t even show how the last 5 roses were divided up. Jay left, then the next night, Byron had the cocktail party with ALL 25 women (not just the ones who chose him), and went from 25 down to 15 the first night. And yes, some of the 15 he kept were women who didn’t vote for him. The girl who finished 2nd that season, Tanya, didn’t vote for him. So just because someone may not vote for Britt or Kaitlyn night one doesn’t mean they won’t last long. A precedent has been set.

Page 4 of 6« First...23456

1. lisaw

March 11, 2015 at 12:43 AM

Hi RS

Following from New Zealand. I’ve just seen the final. I thought Becca’s honesty was refreshing. She said how she felt, not what Chris wanted to say.

I am on team Kaitlyn for the Bachelorette!

2. jakolean

March 11, 2015 at 12:58 AM

I find Britt totally normal, and reacted like any other woman would have, had they had a special connection with someone. Everyone could see that connection with each other, including Whitney (when she said “I don’t want to just watch the Chris and Britt show) – that was what really got the girls hateful. Chris even said he had a special connection with her that wasn’t like the others. Of course, in a group dating situation, this is different, but how realistic is that in real life, and of course easy to forget that you are not just that special one?

I think Britt’s self-confidence and strength bothers those who are insecure or who might be threatened by someone like her, so they take every little human thing about her and twist it into making her “narcissist”. Oh please, she wasn’t going around talking about herself like Kelsey. She was listening, hugging and comforting other women, who she thought was her friend. If that is being manipulative, then that’s saying that the other womens intelligence are limited and can’t think for themselves. Her huggy personality is far from being narcissist.

When Britt questioned Chris’ motives that was totally right, because he was all over the place with all the women, kissing every chance he got, and who wouldn’t feel confused by that and how it would appear to others?

If he got defensive by it, then he can’t take an honest look at his own flaws. Britt admitted she was wrong by being upset by not getting the rose, something I think he has a problem with, admitting when he is wrong.

He seems dead set on the woman making all the changes for him, but I think in the long run, someone like Whitney who has had a career will resent the quiet wife lifestyle. It is all about him and not “them” looking at both their needs or wants. Chris can’t marry-order a bride and expect them to just wait hand and foot for him. Ask any women who has been married for a number of years, that previously had a life of her own, to become at best a second place, and then third when the kids come along, with no thought to her needs or wants. Love only goes so far.

3. jakolean

March 11, 2015 at 1:32 AM

Honestly, I think the whole hate campaign with Britt started with Carly circulating rumors about her not showering when she seemed to be oddly observing her every move in the house. Maybe she didn’t shower as often as Carly, but enough fuel to get the fire going, particularly since she didn’t get any special time with Chris, except almost to have sex with him onscreen. How many women would have been down her throat had her date gotten further? Good way to deflect attention on her own faults.

4. zacmac78

March 11, 2015 at 2:00 AM

So funny seein some of these comments bout Ryan Beckett. Wow… Guy’s such a joke… Thinks he’s God’s gift

5. ihateipads

March 11, 2015 at 2:11 AM

I hate the fact that Britt fans only defense is “SHES PRETTY EVERYONE IS JUST JEALOUS OF HER”. No. Not everyone is as shallow as y’all. I personally don’t like her because she knows how to manipulate people and used crying as a way to attract attention towards herself during the women tell all. Please watch that again and pay close attention to her “crying” with no tears and “crying” when she saw in the small stage screen that the cameras were pointing at her. And let’s not forget that she made the entire women tell all about her and Carly and basically blamed Carly for her leaving even though she acted like a psycho on the show and Chris saw that. Chris said HE HAD DOUBTS PRIOR TO THAT NIGHT when she had an outburst, the outburst was the last straw for him. I agree that Carly was a bit too mean on the show but Britt was just as worst on the women tell all. The only reason she has a spot on the bachelorette right now is because she’s pretty and since guys will be picking the girl, im pretty sure they’re going to choose her just for her looks which is a shame because Kaitlyn deserves it SO much more. So disappointed in the producers of the show. The fact that they even let aspiring actors on the show is idiotic to begin with.

6. teacup

March 11, 2015 at 4:07 AM

The hate campaign against Britt is disgusting. She did literally nothing to deserve it. It’s pathetic. She’s a nice girl and her only crimes were overshadowing the other girls with Chris and being too sensitive to what a mass of insecure nothing like Carly had to say. OMG BIGGEST VILLAIN EVER.

7. jpoz

March 11, 2015 at 4:45 AM

Woohoo, I’m so stoked Britt is still in the running to be The Bachelorette! Its practically made my weekend! She is so beautiful, kind and articulate, the guys would be mad not to pick her! Going to make for some crazy TV if she gets the Bachelorette seeing the lengths the guys will go to get alone time with her and outdo each other for her affections! #TeamBritt! 😀

8. thatguy181

March 11, 2015 at 6:10 AM

Only spoiler I care about is who the Bachelorette is going to be. Do my Mondays free up due to Britt being picked or do I continue to do my part for the ratings for the show.

Either way I’m obviously going to continue visiting and supporting RS and the site, just honestly can’t be bothered to watch Britt.

9. monalisamiami

March 11, 2015 at 7:16 AM

Ha! @zacmac78 agree. Heard Ryan Beckett still hooks up with his ex and a few others to, and now he’s gonna play these two girls. Shame,

10. karynr

March 11, 2015 at 8:09 AM

Team Kaitlyn all the way. I think she is beautiful in a more natural way than Britt, intelligent, with a great sense of humor.

I have nothing against Britt, but find her more shallow, and the caked on make-up and fake crying jags are over the top.

The whole Britt and Kaitlyn debate reminds me of Ginger versus Maryann, for those of you old enough to remember Gilligan’s Island!

11. cpwest

March 11, 2015 at 9:52 AM

As far as the article you mention that says you “guessed” … perhaps you should read it, because it doesn’t say you guessed at the ending. It just quotes you SAYING you guessed about certain episodes. Headline was catchy,but the content sourced right back to what you said. “No, I do not have your episode-by-episode spoilers this season. Last week I guessed which five went home last night and got 4 of the 5. Not bad”

I GUESSED is what you said. There you go.

12. vessel

March 11, 2015 at 10:01 AM

I could list a bunch of things Britt shouldn’t have said/done but I don’t feel like re-hashing the whole season. Suffice it to say I agree with whomever said she was ‘disingenuous’ overall. She comes off as constantly performing for the cameras with the overly dramatic tears, extended hugging, etc. It’s all a bit much and reeks of insincerity.

As far as the ‘jealousy’ comments they are absurd. No one is denying she is drop dead gorgeous, but for me it stops right there. Needing constant reassurance and the spotlight all the time is very unattractive to me. Frankly I think it’s very small minded to try chalk up the public’s negative reaction to Britt being co-Bachelorette to jealousy. There are many reasons for people to be pissed that Kaitlyn was cheated, and jealousy doesn’t factor at all in my opinion.

The 2 Bachelorette idea is asinine and degrading. I really hope ABC finds a way to rectify it and let Kaitlyn end up the sole Bachelorette, which she should have been all along.

13. meredith27

March 11, 2015 at 10:02 AM

It’s interesting to me that Twitter followers can be bought!! Did anyone else know about this? The other thing I find interesting is how much Twitter support there is for Britt and yet out on the internet, it “appears” that there is so much support for Kaitlyn? I guess the bachelor/bachelorette is becoming like politics… whoever has enough money to post a blog in support of someone or whoever can develop a “clique” and have followers agreeing can be “heard.” I think Britt is becoming the underdog and I’m routing for her!
    I don’t like these bullies out there who are Kaitlyn fans basically trying to get everyone to make her the bachelorette with intellectual arguments that have no basis – like Sean Lowe saying that it is sexist? Really? It’s ok for the show to make you tons of money but just because you wanted Kaitlyn as bachelorette and all your clique – including Kelly Travis who seems so condescending and Andi and Sharleen. Who are these “strong” women who judge women like Britt? Is that really strength? Where is your Bible, Sean? I need to get mine back out because I’m so upset about this bullying. I need to get back to a loving place. It upsets me to see such bullying. Anyway – I am so glad Steve can spoil this for us because I cannot wait to find out who the bachelorette is! I can’t wait until May, Steve. HURRY! Find out find out find out and post it fast! 🙂

14. cjscjs711

March 11, 2015 at 10:09 AM

I have seen Gilligan’s Island and Britt is way too bohemian to be Ginger. JMO

Perfect compare and contrast on Jimmy Kimmel March 9 2nd half of show. He had both of them on and gave them the same scenario to play act. SUCH different types! Granted I’m a photographer and retoucher so beauty is y business, but I could not take my eyes off Britt. Not just her beauty but her style – she has je ne sais quoi.

It makes more sense to me to have the men who will be doing the actual sating and fantasy suite, close who they want to be with, rather than have the people who will just be watching, choose. Don’t know why they haven’t thought of this before.

15. cjscjs711

March 11, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Dating, not sating lol

16. vessel

March 11, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Sean was saying the premise of two Bachelorettes in this context is sexist and degrading to women because Britt and Kaitlyn have already competed against each other. Then to pit them yet again against one another, but in this format to have a group of alcohol fed men judging who stays and goes based on little else but physical appearance is definitely wrong. It takes the power out of their hands and gives it to the guys, which is NOT what the Bachelorette is supposed to be about. @meredith27 his and Catharine’s arguments weren’t anti Britt, they were anti 2 Bachelorette format.

17. vessel

March 11, 2015 at 10:17 AM

@cjscjs711, If the men aren’t attracted to the Bachelorette they can exit the show. No one forces them to go to the fantasy suite, if they are there that long it’s because they chose to accept roses.

18. misstjw87

March 11, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Enough about Kaitlyn & Britt, ladies! I care more about the hot guys that will be vying for roses. RS always seems to have the first scoop about the contestants. Wierd they’ve already started filming. I can’t wait for more of the guys to be revealed. The above crop seems mediocre, and based on above comments, it seems this Ryan Beckett just may be the season’s token asshole… Can’t wait for May!

March 11, 2015 at 12:04 PM

I still think the funniest part was that Becca was not at all broken up about her departure & breakup with Old McDonald. She never cried and literally acted like she was the one that broke up with Chris. Gee Chris, you’re the nicest guy….. I never would have stayed this long for anyone else…. you’re really special…. that sounds like her breaking up with him! Yeah, she liked him some, but she wasn’t “falling in love” with him. And she wasn’t about to fake it (good for her). She found herself in a spot where she was kept on the show beyond all reason. Jade got dumped because her phoniness came out on the hometowns along with her pics. He probably wanted to keep Kaitlyn for the F2, even though Whitney was always going to be F1. But Kaitlyn had a Bachelorette gig ahead of her, so she had to be let go one spot early. What do you do if you’re Becca in that situation? Hope like hell, he doesn’t pick you! She looked very relieved when he didn’t pick her, unlike the usual looks of shock, followed by over the top crying for the shocking embarrassment of a public dumping (after wild sex in the Fantasy Suite). I don’t recall anyone on The Bachelorette EVER taking the F2 spot with such relief and happiness. But she did dodge a bullet.

Whitney on the other hand is just coming to terms with what she’s done. Life in Arlington, IA has to be getting very real at this point….. as in WTF was I thinking???!!! Did you catch how she noted that she would be “living in Chicago for now”. Translation, “after a few trips to that hell hole to visit that awkward doofus who sucks down whisky’s like the apocolypse is at hand, I better keep my options open”. I’m sure if Whitney does come to her senses and dumps Chris she’ll have a whole host of Chicago city guys that are major upgrades to a stuttering farmer with a girly laugh. There’s a small part of me that thinks Whitney will stick it out & start cranking out babies. But the common sense intellect part of me says there is no way in hell this ends up in a marriage. It really makes zero sense for Whitney. Look for the press release in 3-5 months making it official.

20. wavecatchingmom

March 11, 2015 at 9:13 PM

A co worker of mine knows Britt from college days- and she says the edit pretty much IS her, snobby (of course I should get special treatment), overdramatic, and manipulative.

21. justforfun

March 11, 2015 at 10:26 PM

@wavecatchingmom – why is that not a surprise?! LOL.
    All of the “you are jealous of her beauty if you don’t like her” posters are hilarious & deluded. Or 12 year old girls.
    Any intelligent person with life experience can easily see that her behavior is reflective of a narcissistic personality. “It’s all about me!!!!” She is not a genuine person on camera. And, probably not in real life either. Where are the pics of her and her close friends on social media?? Family pics??? Why isn’t she friends with one person from the show??
    Yet we see pics of her helping the starving children, and she is constant with the bible stuff. So she must be a beautiful saint, right??? Anyone that doubts that is just jealous?!
    Unbelievable. I will not be watching her sham of a show if she is picked, and I think RS is wrong about the lead not mattering for ratings.

March 12, 2015 at 8:45 AM

I like Britt & think she’d be a great Bachelorette. That does not mean that I think she’s a nice girl. She’s an actor. She believes she should garner all attention (she’ll love being The Bachelorette). I sincerely doubt she’d ever marry someone she’d meet on a reality show. So, my desire for Britt is mainly around the fact that she’d be more interesting, is better looking and will create more drama that will lead to a great possibility of a train wreck. I think Kaitlyn might have some spice in her, but her potential to create the desired train wreck is much lower than Britt. The ability to “ugly cry” almost on command is worth the price of gold by itself.

I think we need to stop looking for someone to create the “perfect love story” and look for the biggest possible train wreck. That’s WAY more fun! So, keeping in mind that the show has to at least put up someone plausibly looking for love, that erases most of the other girls. I mean, they couldn’t put either of the Ashley’s in that role no matter how great the train wreck might be. It would out the show for what we know it to be, but that many delusional people don’t understand. So, for me, it’s Britt for the drama.

23. lucyboop

March 13, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Steve, I just want to say that you shouldn’t knock Dubuque unless you’ve actually been there. It is an absolutely beautiful, charming city in Iowa! I’m sure Kaitlyn wasn’t bored at all. It sits right on the Mississippi river with gorgeous views. I live in Iowa, and I try to make it there as often as possible because of it’s charm. Now, Arlington is another matter. I live in the 2nd largest city in Iowa and I could never live on a farm and especially a town that if you drove thru and blinked, you’d miss it! I’m sure that Whitney coming from Chicago, will never move there.

24. kmannone723

March 18, 2015 at 9:17 PM

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if they make Ryan McDill(Nikki’s ex) the Bachelor next season?

25. motomom

March 22, 2015 at 9:54 AM

I can’t help but notice, of these first seven 7 guys. Nikki’s Ferrel’s ex (Ryan McDill) looks to be most elgible bachelor revealed thus far. Or at least the only one I see Kaitlynn having any sort of attraction to. He’s attractive and seems to lead a normal life, unless it’s a get back at Nikki ploy? (just concidered that angle) Very interesting twist to put an ex of an ex contestant on show. Im also wondering if the producers pursed him or if he in fact sent in a video hoping to be on the show lol. Can’t wait for the rest of the guys revealed.