Reader Emails

“Reader Emails” (Part 1) & A Little Clarification on the “Bachelorette”

Because I’m such a great guy, on the final week of “Reader Emails” for this season until May rolls around and the “Bachelorette” starts back up, I’ve divided it up into two columns this week since I have a ton to sift through. So here’s Part 1 today, and tomorrow I’ll have Part 2. Actually, a lot has to do with the fact that I was at the Mavs game last night watching Lebron destroy them, didn’t get home til late, and really didn’t feel like doing ALL 70 or so emails today. So there’s a little over 40 in today’s bag, and then I’ll do more tomorrow. Basically because this is the finale week, all emails you see in today and tomorrow’s column were sent from Monday night on. I figured you didn’t want to read any emails that came to me before the finale aired. You’re welcome. To anyone who did send emails from last Wednesday through Monday night – sorry. Got way too many since Monday to include those. I apologize. So tomorrow I’ll be back with Part 2, the final “Dr. Reality Steve” of the season (so get those emails in as we’re light right now), and then the last live video chat until May tomorrow night. Next Monday will be the return of “Daily Links” so you can come here for all your entertainment/pop culture and even sports news along with my thoughts on them.

With the “Bachelorette” beginning filming tomorrow night, a lot of you have asked what the deal is and why/if they’re gonna use Britt and Kaitlyn for the whole season. As I wrote yesterday, I didn’t see that happening and that it was gonna be the guys choosing on the first night who they wanted as the “Bachelorette.” Yesterday, Chris Harrison basically confirmed that’s the plan in his interview with TVGuide.com. Which then leads to the question: When will I spoil who the guys chose? The answer: When I know. Look, it’s gonna get out. Chris Harrison admitted it. I might find out 24 hrs after it happens. I might find out in 3 days. It might get spoiled on social media after the first date happens, or ABC might even acknowledge it in a press release like Chris says. With the show beginning filming tomorrow night, that means Friday is an off day, and Saturday will start the dates. I’d be shocked if who the guys chose isn’t spoiled somewhere by the end of the weekend. You’ll know.

Chris and Whitney did their conference call with the media yesterday, and they basically said not a whole hell of a lot. Check it out for yourselves, but yeah, my opinion of them hasn’t changed. Maybe give them 3 months.

Yesterday morning I appeared on “Good Morning Texas” to talk all things “Bachelor” and “Bachelorette” and here was my brilliant performance. Or not.

Already hearing some things about the guys I posted yesterday, one in particular, that I will update you on tomorrow. Oh this is my favorite time of the season. Seriously, spoiling the show as it happens and piecing the puzzle together is the best part for me. I always like this time of year when the show is filming. Good stuff. Remember last season, there were very few dates spoiled on social media. Some seasons are bigger than others, so we’ll never know until it happens. During the next two months, just know a lot of stuff is spoiled first on Twitter and then I bring it to my column later, so if you want to follow along, I suggest following me on Twitter @RealitySteve.

Nell Kalter’s RHOBH recap is now up and ready for your viewing. Did Brandi get drunk this episode? I’ll guess yes.

1. coffeeinchicago

March 11, 2015 at 11:57 AM

I definitely don’t think the Bachettes were told immediately before the AFTR about the dueling leads, but I do think Kaitlyn was led to believe she would be the only Bachelorette until less than a week before the AFTR. This would explain why K didn’t seem very jilted at the WTA, had a makeover, and was posting 5000 headshots on Instagram while Brit laid relatively low. Then, a few days before the AFTR… they both film intro vids, Britt tweets a happy face and starts blowing up Instagram while Kaitlyn goes radio silent. Then, of course, the AFTR where Britt seems excited and Kaityn is clearly not thrilled.

Makes sense in my head.

2. bachfan30

March 11, 2015 at 1:07 PM

^^ I agree with you completely, coffeeinchicago.
    It sucks big time for our girl, Kaitlyn. I just hope the majority of the guys have watched the season and are familiar with both girls. Undoubtedly, they’d pick Kaitlyn. I just don’t know how much of Britt I can stand.

3. toaster

March 11, 2015 at 1:23 PM

I can’t wait for Steve’s spoiler about which bachelorette will be chosen. I much prefer Brit as a person. But considering all the weirdness of the show I won’t be sorry if Kaitlyn is chosen and they get her jumping through hoops instead. It’ll be interesting to watch either way, even if it’ll make for a different show depending on which one goes through. I don’t believe the men will have the final say. I think the producers will know in advance who they want and will just make it look like it’s the guys’ choice.

4. toaster

March 11, 2015 at 2:14 PM

The best part of having both women in the running for the role of Bachelorette has already been accomplished. Wherever she is, you can be sure Carly is green with envy and no doubt majorly annoyed that Britt is where she is despite Carly’s best efforts at maligning her throughout the show. That alone makes this twist all the more awesome! Here’s to several more sleepless nights for Carly while we all wait to hear more. 😉

5. angelfish

March 11, 2015 at 5:15 PM

Totally agree, toaster! Somewhere Carly is crying to her little Chris Harrison hand puppet that she was so misunderstood and misjudged!

6. jpoz

March 11, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Yeah I agree too Carly was a nasty piece of work. Is it any wonder she can’t keep a man?? She needs to look at her own flaws before having a go at people like Britt. I still say Britt is a sweet girl as evidenced by her Instragram pics helping sick children etc. She deserves a second chance and I’m hoping alot of peoples opinions will change if she becomes the Bachelorette.

Everyone knows women can be extremely jealous of beautiful girls, it starts at high school so don’t try and dismiss it as not a major reason why Britt has been treated so poorly. Of course Britt could have handled herself better when Kaitlyn got the rose but really I fail to see much else she did wrong. If comforting other girls, not saying bad things about them and generally being a nice person to everyone makes her fake in some peoples eyes then I’ll gladly take that over people that are rude, arrogant and mean such as Carly.

I can’t wait to see how this all plays out and hopefully Britt gets a chance to show everyone she really is a genuinely nice girl. #TeamBritt

7. justforfun

March 11, 2015 at 6:24 PM

If Britt is chosen, I will not watch. This will be the first season I haven’t watched in several years, but that is how much I can’t stand her & her fake drama.
    Who are these posters that claim that anyone that doesn’t like Britt is jealous of her beauty?? Are you a man, or a 12 year old girl?? Most adult females like to be friends with beautiful women. Beauty draws people in. Unless what is under that beauty is a fake, narcissistic personality.
    Maybe Britt was just misunderstood by all of her theatrics, fake tears, and drama. I don’t know, and I don’t care. I just know that I don’t want to watch more of that.

8. cjscjs711

March 11, 2015 at 6:28 PM

@toaster you proly hit the nail on the head…. I don’t dislike Carly but her relentless crusade against Britt was beyond the pale. Even Carly wasn’t able to come up with one concrete instance where Britt had hurt Carly and deserved having Carly basically try to destroy her.

Not sure whose idea it was at ABC to play so fast and loose with Britt’s storyline – from the not showering nonsense that grossed out America to the Big and Rich Concert rudeness (by Chris) to juxtaposing the second-hand comment about not wanting children beside Britt telling Chris she wanted about a “hundred.” You really hurt your own girl. She’s volunteered with children and put her own money into sponsoring children. So now after these sensationalized edits, ABC is giving her a chance to rescue herself……?

9. punk

March 12, 2015 at 8:35 AM

I hope they go 2 episodes at least with both girls. Have them decide together who the final 16 should be (13 each), then go on at least 1 group date wiith their groups.

Then let them vote.

It does not get serious until it is down to 5 anyway, so prior to that, I hope they get creative.

10. stevely

March 12, 2015 at 9:54 AM

I agree that Kaitlyn looked a little miffed and seemed to suggest it even more the way she said something about “not what I was expecting”.

But I don’t see – given the online negativity I see towards Britt that they have Britt as the lead. So whoever the guys vote for, Kaitlyn is the one the producers will announce as the winner. And they will definitely not show any scenes of the guys talking about who they voted for so that we can’t get the impression it was rigged.

I felt when I saw Britt that her beauty was too much. Women can handle a pretty woman, but Britt is beautiful which makes it tough. I think she has to be very careful the way she carries herself to avoid a negative reaction from women. And it’s already too late to win over viewers.

11. stevely

March 12, 2015 at 9:58 AM

I would love to see the whole season with both, but two would also be good. But I guess they would have to pay Harrison a lot more millions for all the extra work he would be doing. “Gentlemen, Britt, this is Britt’s final rose”. “Gentlemen, Kaitlyn, this is Kaitlyn’s final rose”. “Today there will be a two on one date with Kaitlyn, a group date with Britt, a one on one with Britt, and a two on one with Britt after which one of you will be going home”.

12. vessel

March 12, 2015 at 11:35 AM

@Justforfun, Agree with everything you said. It’s highly doubtful I’ll watch if they keep Britt, and the comments about women being just jealous of her really need to stop. It’s insulting and demeaning to women in general to chalk up an opinion of someone as nothing more than the result of a petty emotion. My opinion of the way Britt behaves most definitely does NOT stem from a place of jealousy. In fact, in general if someone is beautiful they usually get the benefit of the doubt more than someone who is not.

13. loquacious39

March 12, 2015 at 7:27 PM

@jpoz I agree. I don’t understand the hostility towards Britt. I thought men wanted to compete for a beautiful woman. Remember how the guys all liked Emily. Women are vicious. I’m sorry, but I think Kaitlin is homely compared to Britt, she’s a “mouseburger” type, boring personality. Britt has life in her and infinitely more interesting, men would be falling all over themselves. It could be hilarious. We could have another “Bentley” type that will lament he thought he was vying for Britt. Personally, I wish they didn’t do Bachelorette shows, they’re never as compelling as The Bachelor.