Daily Links

Daily Links 3/19

You know how I feel about social media. It’s not going anywhere, it’s part of our every day lives, and can be very beneficial in our daily lives. It also has a downside which can be just about the worst thing ever at times. But yesterday after a couple weeks of annoying tweets, I’d pretty much had it. I know, I know, first world problems. But hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. I’m fine if people want to tweet things about me about my site or my column in a negative tone. It happens. I don’t block people like that. However, the annoying ones are those that constantly include my Twitter name in conversations with other people. There hasn’t been a bigger group that’s done that over the last 2 weeks than Britt fans. I mean holy Jesus, you have no idea how annoying these people are. I get that people have their favorites out there, but this clan takes it to a whole other level. These people aren’t even directing statements/questions towards me. They just like saying how Britt walks on water, she should be the “Bachelorette,” and trash Kaitlyn any chance they can get. Not to mention if anyone tweets anything negative about Britt, they immediately attack them. So that’s not for me. If you incessantly include my name in tweets, you’re blocked. Just putting it out there.

-Every once in a while you get a story that makes absolutely no sense. This is one of those times. Someone had sex. Fine. You say, “Steve, that’s not a story. People have sex all the time.” And yes, you’d be correct. People do have sex all the time. Except this dude had sex with a dolphin. Now what do you say? C’mon buddy. Really? Just when you think people couldn’t get any weirder, some dude is out banging Flipper. Disgusting.

-There really isn’t much of a reason to post this next video for no other than it involves Tiffani Amber Theissen. I’m sorry, I know she took off the “Amber” years ago but I don’t care. She will always be Tiffani Amber Theissen to me. And only one of these questions is about “Saved by the Bell,” but that’s enough for me.

-Jon Cryer admitted that when he was going through a divorce, he went to co-star Charlie Sheen for a little help. A shoulder to cry on? No. Someone to talk to? Not really. Maybe a little spiritual guidance? Not quite. No, Sheen helped set Cryer up with a hooker. “Keep smiling…keep shining…knowing you can always count on me…for sure…that’s what friends are for!”

-Patrick Schwarzenegger’s relationship with Miley has taken a turn for the worse since he went down to Cabo and started taking body shots off a chick he claims is a close friend. Now comes word that Miley actually hung out with this girl back at a USC game before. So either this chick is the smartest girl in the world pretending to befriend Miley all while knowing she was banging her dude behind her back, or, she’s just a skank. You make the call.

-Robin Thicke’s divorce was finally granted and should be finalized next month. I can’t imagine why these two didn’t work out. She’s ridiculously hot and he likes having sex with women that aren’t his wife. Doesn’t seem to be the right recipe for a healthy marriage, but hey, what do I know?

-I know you’re not going to believe this, but busty DWTS contestant Charlotte McKinney did a racy photo shoot that accentuated her breasts. Shocking, right? This is the same chick that in her intro video this past Monday night said she didn’t want to be known for just her breasts, then did a whole feature about her breasts. Some women just don’t get it.

-So yesterday People ran the story about how Robert Herjavec contemplated suicide after separating from his wife of 25 years earlier this year. Then the flirtatious intro video on DWTS and subsequent story they were cozy at the after party on Monday night. Well, 3 days later, and E! apparently has confirmed Robert and his partner Kym Johnson are absolutely a couple. I mean, are we really surprised by this? Wealthy older man fresh off a divorce jumping right in to something much younger and hotter? When this isn’t the norm in Hollywood, then I’ll be surprised.

-Liza Minnelli has checked herself into rehab. Again. I don’t know how many times that is for Liza, but I think I’ve run out of finger and toes to count them on. Honestly, I haven’t looked at how many times she’s been in, but I’ve only known the trainwreck Liza as long as I’ve been alive, so I just assume it’s over 20.

-The fact that Kevin James’ baby announcement was a story today, isn’t really news. He and his wife had their fourth child. What is surprising is that this child was born in January! You know you’re kinda low on the Hollywood totem pole when your baby announcement on US Weekly happens over 6 weeks after the baby is born. But hey, “Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2” is coming to a theater near you soon, so I guess there’s that.

-Good two hr episode of “Survivor” last night. Our “Survivor” recapper Bryan Fischer’s column will be up later today, so check it out. To hold you over until then, Jeff Probst answers his weekly questions for EW.com. Always a good read every Thursday. Probst is the best at what he does.

-Peter Facinelli is engaged to Jaimie Alexander. Great. 3 Thoughts:

1) Jaimie, stop spelling your name with 2 “I’s.” Frankly it’s annoying.
2) Peter, you will always be Jennie Garth’s ex-husband to all of us. She chose you over Brandon and Dylan and that’s not acceptable.
3) And Peter, I don’t care what role you played in “Twilight,” you will always and forever be Mike Dexter from “Can’t Hardly Wait” who dumped Jennifer Love Hewitt only to beg for her back and get rejected because she wanted to date some nerd who wrote her a love letter freshman year, in one of the most unrealistic yet awesomest movies ever. I think that was the movie that put JLH’s breasts on the map.

-Andy Cohen and Anderson Cooper argued about “Fashion Police”, because, of course they did. Enough said.

-Another shocking story, but you’ll never believe that Kate Gosselin is a crappy mother. Really? Gee, and I thought she had a “Mother of the Year” award in her future?

-The weirdness continues. Some guy in North Carolina likes to hang out at his house naked. And he’s allowed to. Note to self: Move to North Carolina.

-And finally, in honor of “March Madness” beginning in just moments, at some point today, take the time to watch this excellent “30 for 30” piece ESPN did on the Princeton/Georgetown game in 1989. The reason “March Madness” got it’s name and the reason you are filling out brackets and able to watch all the games all day long can basically be traced back to this game. This started it all. If you’re a college basketball nut like myself, you will love this piece.

That’s it. I’m off to watch 10 straight hours of college basketball. Greatest sporting event of the year, hands down. Basketball coma. Love it.

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you tomorrow.

1. cjscjs711

March 19, 2015 at 11:19 AM

I think a lot of Britt’s fans are pretty young – certainly exists a vocal bunch that are immature. They don’t speak for all Britt fans. Glad to see Daily Links again. You fi d some good ones. I think ‘boob girl’ sorry I forgot her name did that sketch on DWTS very tongue in cheek. And she’s not entirely unhappy with her trademarks either.

March 19, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Although I do follow RS, (I have to admit though, I’ve stopped reading his tweets. Too boring.) I NEVER tweet anything. I’ve never even tweeted once. I’m just a casual lurker. Why? I barely care what I have to say, so I don’t understand why people think we care what they tweet. Maybe 1 out of 100 tweets are semi-interesting, and that’s being generous. That said, what’s the deal with blocking people RS? You set up a Twitter account to feed and promote your website, for which you get paid. … and you’re blocking people for annoying tweets that include your name? Seriously? Now if they were really wacko and threatening to harm you or using vicious and foul language, I get it. But when you block people, you just come off like Jef Holm-o. Very thin skinned and not cut out to be in the public eye. I’m not buying your little excuse about them using your name too much and attacking others with different opinions. That’s what people DO on Twitter. If you don’t like the way people are on Twitter, delete your account. At least that would be intellectually honest. Don’t write a gossip column with lots of hard opinions about almost everyone and, on the side, start being the Twitter police for people who’s opinions are too strong. Some might call that hypocritical.

3. hattiebloom

March 19, 2015 at 12:35 PM

@rob22 — totally agree. At times Steve seems to take himself way too seriously. Before I read your post I was going to post — “it ain’t that serious dude,” but you summed it up well.

Robert Herjavec dating Kym Johnson from DWTS (rich older man/hot younger woman) is not the “Hollywood norm” — it is THE norm.

4. michiev

March 19, 2015 at 12:38 PM

@rob22, there’s a difference between “people who’s opinions are too strong” and straight up internet bullying. Trashing Kaitlyn, and attacking people who say anything negative about Britt? That’s childish, and bullying, and good for RS for not wanting to have any part in that! The old “it’s the internet, that’s what people DO” justification is complete BS by the way and just supports the cycle of nastiness out there.

5. cjscjs711

March 19, 2015 at 1:18 PM

I wouldn’t want cyberbullying tweets on my page because I don’t support it. That includes calling people who are different crazy or otherwise making fun of them.

There’s a simple solution and that is just delete the post. If you want, put an advisement afterward why. But to block people seems extreme and is not necessary as a first resort. I get annoyed wading through all the tweets that Kaitlyn is the New Bachelorette and naming Steve. It’s his page to decide on bullying and clutter. If he was busy curing cancer all day and couldn’t spare the time to delete posts, he’d have my sympathy. But THIS is his job. And the work is done via social media.

@ rob22 I agree most tweets are boring, including those on Steve’s and other franchise pages.

6. meredith27

March 19, 2015 at 3:13 PM

I agree that it seems childish to block people when your job is covering trash tv and you get paid to do it
    I’m a Britt fan and I have a few Britt fan followers- Meredith Shea – and I have to say nobody I know who is a huge Britt fan had trashed Kaitlyn – I would say just the opposite that Kaitlyn fans seem to be the angry ones – so – for what it’s worth maybe Steve is in with the PR for the show and somehow trying to discredit Britt to make Kaitlyn as bachelorette more believable
    The more I’m involved with social media on all things bachelorette related the more I am recognizing the politics and rigged social media twists
    All good

7. klm390

March 19, 2015 at 3:39 PM

These insane Britt fans do not speak for her fanbase. I personally think Britt would make a way better bachelorette than Kaitlyn, but tearing Kaitlyn down is not going to change anything. However, the Kaitlyn fans were technically the ones that started all this when they began accusing Britt of being fake, which just royally pissed off some of her fans. The Kaitlyn fans would have been a million times more psychotic if Britt had gotten the role. About 80% of Kaitlyn fans have been absolutely trashing Britt, so I do think that Britt’s fans have a right to stand up for her (in a less belligerent way, of course).

8. shirls429

March 19, 2015 at 3:50 PM

I agree Kaitlyn’s fans would have been over the top belligerent to Britt’s fans if she hadn’t won!!!

9. aftertherain

March 19, 2015 at 4:47 PM

I was one of the people Steve blocked. I used his handle twice — each tweet separated by about a week. One was to ask about spoilers and the other was yes, included in a conversation with someone else. They asked where I got a quote from and I said “@realitysteves website.” But apparently 2 tweets is just way too much. Come on, Steve.

10. freeasabird

March 19, 2015 at 5:00 PM

As far as I know you can not delete a tweet unless you tweeted the tweet. Too many times people hit reply to a comment to RS without removing his name. They actually want to reply to only the original reply to RS. Boy, that’s clear as mud!

I too have muted and blocked people who do not know the proper way to reply to only one person. Some conversations can go on for days with none of it truly being relevant to my original tweet.

Example:

RS Tweets: K is the B’Ette
    AA replies to RS: I hate Kaitlyn
    BB replies to RS & AA: Me too! K is a…
    CC replies to RS & AA & BB: Oh, no she’s not
    DD replies to RS & AA & BB & CC: Yes she is Did you read…
    EE replies to RS & AA & BB & CC & DD: I love Britt

So far RS would have received 5 tweets that he does not care about. I’d mute or block them also!

11. freeasabird

March 19, 2015 at 5:03 PM

To the write on another page that said: about foxella: “told in a gossipy, run on sentence real life way, that i can’t help but to believe everything.”

Surely you jest?

12. shirls429

March 19, 2015 at 5:31 PM

This is crazy but I read that Kaitlyn has a firefighter boyfriend Trevor Patio, how does this work??

13. vessel

March 19, 2015 at 6:03 PM

How long are we still going to be talking about Kaitlyn vs Britt? I’m not begrudging anyone’s right to post any comment that they wish, but imo we’re beginning to get into ‘beating a dead horse’ territory here. I mean unless you don’t believe Steve and think it could be Britt, it’s been over with now going on a week. The Bachelorette is Kaitlyn. Okay yes, we still don’t know why Britt is still hanging around, so I get speculating on the reasons for that. But all the fans tiresome tweets, the bashing, the speculations on how whoever’s fan base would have reacted if so and so had in fact been cast, etc etc etc is kind of getting a tad old at this point. I get it if you are bummed that Britt didn’t get the gig, but really it’s time to move on. Either get over it or boycott the upcoming season, please!

14. cjscjs711

March 19, 2015 at 6:35 PM

@ shirts 429 – I don’t think it matters about this Trevor Patio person. I’m beginning to get as cynical about the “reality” of anyone going on this show seriously looking for a wife or husband, rather going on for self-promotion or promoting their cause; as Reality Steve is. Chris talked about the difficulty finding a wife in his tiny “ghost town”, which I believed. That’s believable. But then, like Andi and others, he has stars in his eyes. Do I think a dance instructor is on this show to find a husband or because she hopes to be like others and go on DWTS afterward, which would be a huge career boost? Probably biggest possible in a lifetime. If you think it’s a concession to move to a tiny town, how about changing citizenship? Moving to another country?

It is what it is. With the isolation, the sequestering, the constant coaching by producers – are the emotions we see “real”? I think at the time, yes. But once back out in the Real World – they all wake up and it’s no longer about awarding and winning roses. JMO

15. justforfun

March 19, 2015 at 6:45 PM

Britt fans are acting crazy?? Claiming she walks on water?? Probably also that she is the most beautiful woman in the world??
    Shocking, just completely shocking! I don’t believe it.
    It is time to give it a rest. I would seriously worry about my mental well being if I was obsessed with a reality TV person so much so that I had to tweet about them like they are my BFF. Pathetic.

16. vessel

March 19, 2015 at 7:02 PM

Doubly pathetic that they are still tweeting about her (like they know her in real life, creepy) now even though she lost the Bachelorette gig. I might just take back my hope that she is cast on BIP. AT this point I’d prefer the girl just kind of fade into obscurity, it’s enough already and I’m sick to death of even hearing her name.

17. justforfun

March 19, 2015 at 8:15 PM

@vessel, it is creepy! There are some real weird (mentally unhinged? ) people out there in social media Internet land. RS eluded that he has an Internet stalker, and a couple people joked about it on here. I don’t think that is something to joke about given the amount of crazy we see on social media & the internet. Sure, some are harmless trolls, but how can you tell the difference? Just food for thought about all this Britt/Kaitlyn crazy.

18. beebifidum

March 20, 2015 at 4:04 AM

Is this a surprise? The saying “to kill the messenger” has been around since Ancient Rome, and RS has set himself up to be the #1 messenger for Bachelor-franchise spoilers and behind-the-scenes Bachelor/Bachelorette news.

I do feel for RS and know how stressful people can be, but at the same time, its pretty obvious that it goes with the territory. Its like being a florist or landscaper, and then complaining about getting your fingers stained green. Or a bartender complaining about having to deal with drunk people.

March 20, 2015 at 5:41 AM

The Britt vs. Kaitlyn back in forth is like the creature in the movie “The Thing”. It just will not die & it keeps popping up in surprising ways. I have to admit that I thought the “Two” Bachelorette thing was a dumb idea born out of some desperation to appease two competing, and increasingly loud, factions. But after watching all the attention it’s garnered…. still…. I have to think that MF wishes the 1st episode will start on Monday. Either they accidentally backed into this whole thing by not being able to make up their minds or they are evil geniuses. I think it’s the former. It’s kind of like when, in a basketball game, the ball comes off the rim and bounces off a player’s head into the basket to win the game. Then the guy turns around celebrates, and says “I meant to do that”. In the end, if it works, it doesn’t matter if it was intentional if it works.

March 20, 2015 at 5:51 AM

BTW: love the comment about being a “bartender complaining about have to deal with drunk people”. I think that applies not only to RS, but to anyone who embarks on a social media campaign in any semi serious way. “Mean Tweets” is now a “thing” that people laugh at on Kimmel. Even the President has to deal with that stuff. I am a VERY casual social media user who gets annoyed at the constant retweets of stupid topics and the constant Fakebook carpet bombing of kid pictures, cat videos, motivational quotes/videos and the latest (soon to fail) business venture…. usually somehow related to Multi Level Marketing or some other work at home BS job. But even with all that annoyance, I still haven’t blocked or unfriended anyone. It just seems petty, unless someone is a dangerous lunatic, which fortunately I haven’t run across to this point. I just ignore the BS, which is probably about 95% of everything on Social Media. I have to admit too, I haven’t looked at Twitter in a couple of months. It’s kind of ridiculous. Everyone tries to be so clever in a sentence or two. Guess what? They’re not clever.

21. angelfish

March 20, 2015 at 9:33 AM

I’m a Britt fan, but I’m with @vessel on being sick of hearing about her.

Regarding Steve’s job and what he’s “required to do” with social media: It’s totally his call. And in furthering the analogy to the bartender, the difference is that Steve owns the bar and can close & lock the doors to keep the drunks out if he chooses to. :)

22. amy1101

March 20, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Thank you for bringing back the Daily Links!!!

23. sbd610

March 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Steve,
    I too love March Madness and this weekend is my absolute favorite time of year for sports. There’s just something about nonstop college basketball, pretty much 24/7, that’s comforting to me. Do u follow women’s basketball as well? I’m from CT and graduated from Uconn so naturally I follow the women too. Looks like they will make the final four again in the tourney :)
    Just read your post in regards to these crazy obsessed Britt fans. Seriously what’s wrong with people? It’s one thing to be a fan, but to trash talk Kaitlyn (I can’t imagine what they can possibly say) and to defend Britt like they personally know her is whacked. I’m so relieved that Kaitlyn “won” the Bachelorette gig and I won’t be forced into watching Britt and her excessive crying.
    Anyway thanks for all u do for your readers. I love your spoilers and will continue to follow u.

24. maruichan

March 22, 2015 at 4:06 PM

I think it is more of a matter of Steve getting way too many notifications for non-relevant tweets towards his account than anything. It is no different than being spammed.

I would be annoyed too if not only did I already had a chore to go through Twitter mentions daily (if you’re famous), but I now have find those relevant tweets in a sea of non-relevant “conversational” tweets just to get the ones that are important. Blocking really is the only solution in those cases since it is a misuse of an otherwise helpful feature since it is a “mention” disguised as anything but such.

Some people are reading too much into it as his gripe having to do with the conversational material… when really it is more based on notification spam

The fact those conversations have to do with Britt fans isn’t really the point of the grievance, though it is interesting that this particular group are the ones who keep force feeding him their tweets. Otherwise, it’s rude or annoying.

Has anyone ever gotten those tweets that “mention” you like they are responding to one of your tweets, but instead are really just linking porn or other spam… this is basically the same thing but more obnoxious since it’s in higher frequency. It’s highly annoying.

Steve, I would’ve liked to have sees some of the screenshots of the tweets you are talking about before you blocked them. That would’ve been interesting.