Reader Emails

“Reader Emails” & Deleted Scenes from the Comedy Club Date

As my 40th birthday slowly approaches (it’s Sunday, so you still have 4 more shopping days people. Get on it), it’s amazing to think back to where I was 10 years ago. Hell, five years ago even. 10 years ago I was miserable at my job working off straight commission as a mortgage broker in Southern California. Then about a year after that, I moved to Texas knowing only my dad out here to begin working with him, all the while still doing “Bachelor/ette” recaps for fun. Then in 2009 it all turned around when I had the Jason/Melissa/Molly spoiler and the site took off. I never made a dime on my site from 2003 until 2010. But then in August of 2011, I was able to move away from working with my father, the website became my full time job, and here I am now just days away from my 40th and I still have to pinch myself thinking this is really what I get to do for a living. Spoil and make fun of a silly reality show and answer repetitive questions on a weekly basis about it. Life definitely throws you curveballs every once in a while that’s for sure. I love to write and I’ve always been a sarcastic ass. I just never thought I’d ever be able to make a full time job out of it. Shows you what I know. Thanks for all taking a trip down memory lane with me and for reading all these years. I appreciate it.

Now, lets get to the good stuff: Since we never got an episode preview at the end of Monday’s episode, promos for next week started running. If you haven’t seen by now, they are teasing the Clint/JJ bromance to “Brokeback Mountain” level proportions. I think you all have seen enough promos to this show to realize how highly edited and snipped that promo is. Watch it real closely. No, Clint is not in love with JJ, and no Clint is not falling in love with another man. I’m amazed at how many of you have emailed and tweeted at me since yesterday thinking that’s what happened. C’mon. Really?

Jonathan is apparently bankrupt. He just recently filed in April. Well that’s no good. Especially when we know he has a son. Hope that all gets straightened out. You don’t wish that upon anyone.

So what’d you all think of the beginning of UnREAL? Good, huh? Obviously there’s a backstory to producer Rachel that I can tell you you find out before the end of the first episode. If you read into what you saw, you might be able to figure it out. I didn’t at first, but then when it was explained on the show, it made sense. Her and Constance Zimmer’s character (Quinn) are your main characters this season. They dive deeper into these characters that work behind-the-scenes to give you more of a glimpse of what makes them tick and what incentive they have to make the contestants act they way they do to produce the best television show they can. I’m glad a show finally tackled a topic like this since it’s never really been done before. Be sure to watch the premiere Monday night on Lifetime. 10 episode season that’ll air every Monday until Aug. 3rd. I’m hoping they get picked up for season 2 and I haven’t even finished watching season 1 yet.

Here are a couple deleted scenes from Monday’s episode, both at the comedy club. Safe to say Kaitlyn’s stand up was 100x better than all the guys combined. She almost looked like she could perform on an open mic night and hold her own, no? I was impressed by that. No stumbling, had her timing down, had good jokes, and even had a comeback for JJ the heckler.

As for JJ, I mean wow. Amy Schumer must absolutely love just kicking this guy in the nuts. We saw her call him a turd on the show, but then we didn’t see her do this:

1. walker

May 27, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Not sure why so many people have a problem with Kaitlyn not picking anyone at the end – doesn’t necessarily mean she didn’t do the show “for the right reasons” – just that she didn’t find her ideal life partner in the limited selection of men that ABC offered her. I am actually more impressed with her not willing to pretend that she wanted to get engaged to be married for life to one of the few selected for TV “actors” – not fair to her, her family, the guy, the guy’s family to get sham engaged because it appears “romantic” to a bunch of strangers who watch TV. In my opinion, the very fact that she doesn’t pick anyone at the end may mean she really did do the show for the right reasons and just didn’t find a match. What are the chances really when the men for the show are selected based primarily on looks and potential controversial/entertaining personalities/professions/lifestyles/hometowns. Highly unlikely that they were selected just for Kaitlyn with her “match” criteria in mind. Obviously the show has surprisingly had a few success stories, but the fake engagements are a waste of time and most likely hard for everyone involved – I applaud Kaitlyn not to put herself or others through that for the sake of a TV show.

2. walker

May 27, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Re: Steve commenting that the producers are giving the leads more private moments with their dates. Chris had private time with Jade that was off-camera when she stayed in his hotel to “take a nap” with him. That was fairly early on in his season while he was still dating many of the other women. No one made a big deal about that…. just saying.

3. purplerayne

May 27, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Considering Kaitlyn has dabbled into acting and hosting, im not surprised she could say her jokes without looking like a hot mess. Poor JJ just doesnt realize what a tool he is. I cant recall the spoilers, but hope he has a mini meltdown when Nick V (the other camera hog) arrives.

4. vessel

May 27, 2015 at 11:54 AM

@walker I completely agree. I’ve always thought any lead who doesn’t buckle to the pressure on them to give the viewers their ‘happy ending’ should get respect, not derision.

I never saw Brad’s first season but the hatred he got was ridiculous. That and the fact that he had a do-over complete with a traveling shrink to help get him in the ‘marrying mindset’ I always thought was too much. The guy just didn’t want to marry any of his 25 women. Why is that such a jaw dropper? Same with Kaitlyn. I just wish more people realized how preposterous the premise is in the first place, but if you read the majority of comments on the show’s FB page it’s clear people are buying exactly what the show is selling.

5. jcrew617

May 27, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Well, I think the point (objective) of the show is for the Lead to get married/engaged/monogamy. If viewers wanted to see a guy kiss 25 women and then dump them all, then they can watch MTV or other dating show. I think that many women want the (fake) fantasy romance to be reality, but women viewers also want to see a “reformed player” finally settle down. There are far more (the majority) of men would love to kiss 25 women, sleep with 3 or more women, and then dump them all and use their new fame to get into the Playboy mansion. ABC wants to convince women viewers that a guy can change (like Sean) his bad boy ways and finally marry. Its still completely unreal because men are pigs, Brad is a pig. Maybe Brad should have paid (Heidi) Fleiss a pimp fee for finding 6 women that would sleep with him.

6. jest002

May 27, 2015 at 5:14 PM

They should’ve kept that clip of Kailtyn’s stand-up. I liked it.

7. knightjorge

May 27, 2015 at 8:34 PM

“Steve,

Enjoy your site and your twitter page
    – looking for past seasons online – do you know anywhere where I can watch Season 15 Brad Womack Episode 1 Online?”

Past seasons available on Amazon go back to Season 13, Jason Mesnick. Bachelorette goes back to season 6, Ali Fedotowsky.

May 28, 2015 at 6:30 AM

I think Brad 1 was tough to swallow because really Steve’s site was either brand new & not yet spoiling, or didn’t exist yet. So, there was no heads up on the ending & everyone expected the usual. So, it was “What the f***!!!” from everyone. But even today, there are still a lot of people who don’t read the spoilers and want the “romantic ending”. When Kaitlyn doesn’t give it to them, wow, it’s going to be bad. I think Jen Scheft took a lot of heat too, but I don’t think as much as Brad. It’s hard to remember that season very well, but I do recall that the guys were not a “robust crop of fine gentlemen” & Jen seemed fairly disinterested throughout.

I think this is a similar crop of “gentlemen”. I’m sure some sympathetic & positive story lines will emerge, but so far, not so good. I think the most positive guy out there is one of the black guys (not sure who is who just yet), and you know he has no shot, even without knowing the spoilers. One of these days someone’s going to select a black guy, right? Kaitlyn should have gone that direction, I think, if she didn’t really have a total connection. The positive publicity she would have gotten would have guaranteed her a Dancing With the Stars gig and, for sure, Couples Therapy, at a minimum. What was she thinking?

9. ladyjane747

May 29, 2015 at 12:43 PM

And that comedy routine is the reason why so many of us like Kaitlyn – funny, natural, charming, doesn’t take herself or the “process” too seriously – obviously. LOL