The Bachelorette 11 - Kaitlyn/Britt

The “Bachelorette” Kaitlyn Episode 3 Recap

Due to the short week of being in Vegas on Thursday, as I announced on last Thursday’s live chat, “Reader Emails” and “Dr. Reality Steve” will be tomorrow, as will this week’s live video chat. So get all your emails in for those as they will be posted tomorrow, and then join me tomorrow night for the live video chat, where I’m sure Olivia and Nicholas will be making an appearance at some point. I think you may notice something different in their dynamic now. She’s about to graduate 5th grade and he’s about to graduate 2nd grade and, well, Olivia is annoyed by basically everything Nicholas does now. 10 year old girl is starting to develop her own independence and I hear at least 10 times a day of her telling him to leave her alone to “Niiiiiiiiick, STOOOOOOOOOPPPPPP IIIIIIIIITTTTTT!!!!” So yeah, that’s their deal now. He’s oblivious to it and her telling him to stop only eggs him on more. Lets see how this goes tomorrow night.

As for this weekend, I also mentioned in last Thursday’s live chat that I will be periscoping the trivia game I’m having for my party this Friday night. There are 15 questions and everyone that’s in attendance at the party can participate as I’ll be giving gift cards out as prizes. Unfortunately those watching at home on Periscope aren’t eligible since it’ll be much easier for you to google the answers. Some are fairly easy, but then again, they’re easy to me since this is my job. We’ll see how it easy it is for others. Regardless, in next Tuesday’s recap I will post all 15 questions and announce who the winner was. Get your thinking caps on people. I didn’t make them easy, but I don’t think they’re ridiculously hard either. My guess is the trivia game will start around 9 or 9:30pm PST on Friday night, so you east coasters who turn in early, sorry.

A few hours before the live chat last week came the news that Chris and Whitney had broken up. Obviously a lot of questions were asked about it and stories have been written since contemplating what led to all this. The bottom line is I have no idea. I mean, before Chris’ season even ended I told you he was never going to marry Whitney anyway, so this break up didn’t surprise me in the least. I had heard for months that he was never interested in finding a wife on the show and was much more interested in increasing his brand name, and ultimately that’s what ended up happening. You cannot preach “small town farmer this, small town farmer that,” then leave to film the “Bachelorette,” become the “Bachelor” then compete on DWTS for 2 months all within a span of 18 months before your proclamation eventually falls on deaf ears. The guy got the Hollywood bug, and although we’ll never know the real reason for the break up, it’s not far fetched to think that his love for the spotlight and media attention played a role in it.

Will it ever come out as to why they broke up? Probably not. These people like keeping it pretty close to the vest on stuff like this. Tabloids can tell you their reasons why it happened, but unless Chris and Whitney confirm it themselves, we’ll never know. And why would they? Why couldn’t it just be as simple as “We barely knew each other and realized it wasn’t gonna work” which is basically the explanation all of these couples could give? I mean, at least that’s the truth since they do barely know each other. And jumping into DWTS right when the “Bachelor” was over no doubt played a role as well, we just don’t know how much of a role. But I’m sorry, if Chris is practicing 8-10 hours a day, and Whitney is flying out from Chicago to spend time with him, exactly how much fun is that for her? Yeah, she’s there, but she’s not REALLY there because he’s with his partner most of the time. Sean and Catherine admitted the toughest part of their relationship was when he was on the show. I doubt Chris and Whitney were any different. Then again, will it stop any future people from appearing on the show if they’re recently engaged? Not a chance.

Of course one of the biggest speculations is that they broke up because he cheated on Whitney with Witney Carson. The reason that’s being speculated is because it’s the easiest speculation to make. They spent hours and hours with each other the last two months, she’s hot, and they PDA’d all over the dance floor. Is it true? Hell if I know. Nor does anyone outside of them. Even if that was the reason, you think Chris will admit it? “Yeah, Whitney and I didn’t work out because I was banging Witney on the side.” Of course not. Based on things I was told numerous times while Chris was still on the “Bachelorette” which then led into the “Bachelor,” the bottom line is the info I received ended up being right. He was never going to marry Whitney, or anyone from that show for that matter. Just wasn’t. So those holding out hope that maybe he’ll rekindle with Becca, you can scratch that idea as well. Hell, even she killed that idea on Twitter and when interviewed by People.com over the weekend. Womp Woooooooomp.

Simple poll question this week. Even though Clint and JJ are so over the top, I’m wondering how many of you are buying it?

Your blogs are now up. Chris Harrison’s weekly TVGuide.com interview has him essentially feeding into the Clint/JJ stuff, even though he knows it’s all for TV. He also embellishes it in his blog for Yahoo all while giving Chris & Whitney’s break up the most insincere “sorry it happened” response you’ll ever see. In Kaitlyn’s blog for People.com she admits she never told the guys the kids on the group date were actors until now. I guess they thought the whole time it was real. Enjoy those.

So what’d we all think of UnREAL? Good stuff, huh? It’s even getting rave reviews. When “Rotten Tomatoes” gives you a 90%, that’s huge. It’s off to a good start so far on social media as I saw a lot of people commenting on it. Next week I’m going to do a recap of it on Tuesday that I’ll post after my column goes up. Stay tuned for all the goodies what Rachel keeps doing. It gets better. A couple former contestants gave their thoughts on the premiere episode, as DeAnna spoke with People.com and related it to her experience on the show. As well as Melissa Schreiber, who was on the “Bachelor” and “Bachelor Pad” and didn’t get the greatest of edits. You knew she’d like a show like this. And if you didn’t see my tweet from Friday, read this interview with UnREAL’s creator Sarah Gertrude Shapiro, talking about her time on the show and how it shaped her as a person. Very, very interesting read.

For those that might’ve missed it, I’ve been told it’s on Crackle. It should be on VOD on your normal cable providers, it should be on Hulu later tonight, and it’s up on their site: http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/unreal/video/season-1/episode-1

The ratings are in from last night and the show was up .3 in the 18-49 demo from last week, along with drawing 6.4 million viewers. Better than Andi’s third episode last season so, as I say every season, no matter what negativity you read about people saying they hate Kaitlyn, or hate the show, or think it’s dumb this season, people are still watching. And always will. Not to mention, in Women 18-34 the show pulled a 2.8 rating, which blew away the competition in that category last night, which is an advertisers wet dream.

1. angelfish

June 2, 2015 at 11:14 AM

The thing that disturbs me more than anything that happened on this show is the knowledge that Steve eats at Chick-fil-a.

2. jessica1

June 2, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Thank you angelfish – my thoughts exactly! 😉

And while that Clint & JJ storyline is complete hooey, we certainly know who would be the top and who is the bottom, based on that sumo throw-down.

3. jest002

June 2, 2015 at 11:24 AM

I liked Tony even better than Ashley with the onion. Also because he left at the right time.

There may have been little reason to fret over the Fear date, but I’d faint at the sight of real snakes wrapped around a toilet. From Britt’s face popping up out of nowhere, to them escaping the deathly smoke last minute, I found it hilarious.

I can’t believe I’m looking forward to Nick entering the picture next episode.

4. jessicat

June 2, 2015 at 11:43 AM

It’s Gigi Hadid, not Hadad.

5. tgp51

June 2, 2015 at 11:50 AM

I think it’s highly unlikely that Chris would be interested in a 22 year old. Let’s be realistic. That is a huge age differential. I don’t doubt that they became close and will go as far as saying they both found each other attractive. How could you not, working with someone that close 6-8 hours a day?

Bottom line: SOMEONE walked away from the split broken hearted and I’m guessing it was Whitney. Neither one of them were prepped for real world paparazzi. You can view a video clip on youtube of them exiting the last DWTS party and the slimy paparazzi is right in their face and asking stupid questions to try and get a reaction. They clearly BOTH look uncomfortable. Chris says ” lets get the fu#k out of here” when he reaches his boiling point but not until he signed a few autographs. Poor Whitney is trying to go with the flow smiling and giggling and ends up trailing BEHIND Chris down the street. (shudder)

I re-watched clips of the hometown visits and to me, there was nothing fake about it. To say Chris wasn’t interested in finding someone is bogus. I think he is the type of guy that finds it hard to say no and ABC took full advantage of that. ABC must have pressured him to pick someone for a marriage proposal. I’m betting they also made the DWTS gig seem like he just couldn’t pass it up.
    I’m sure he’s thinking long and hard about all of this out in the middle of a field in a town where most could give a crap how many Twitter/Instagram followers he has. He’s still posting on IG fanning his celebrity status embers to keep them burning.
    Also, I’m betting Whitney WATCHED the entire season by now too.
    All speculation I agree, but common sense speculation nonetheless!

6. windsurfer

June 2, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Just curious, Steve: You’ve acknowledged that you make your living writing about the Bachelor franchise, so presumably you would regret seeing it go under. Having said that, is there EVER anything positive or well done that you observe in the shows? And finally, regarding your comment “Will it ever come out as to why they broke up? Probably not. These people like keeping it pretty close to the vest on stuff like this” — well, I understand (and can appreciate) your sarcasm generally, but are “these people” really much different from any of us? Not sure about you, but I’m guessing whatever the reason for the break-up, were I in either pair of their shoes, I’d prefer it to remain private — even a guy like Chris, who you maintain was never in it for the “right” reasons, but rather to increase his “brand name” (whatever that means as it pertains to a millionaire farmer from Iowa).

It just rings hollow that you never have anything positive to say about the shows, the host, the producers, or most of the participants, but it’s your paycheck. Curious.

June 2, 2015 at 12:16 PM

*Windsurfer: The gig is to make fun of the show & spoil it. That’s it. He started out doing it for the hell of it, and it turned into some bank for him. He’s not hurting the show, and quite possibly could be generating more interest among the cynics. So, why would he change now & start kissing their tails? I don’t really understand the challenge. If he started kissing tail, then he’d definitely get grief for brown nosing the show.

Anyway, the show. aye-yi-yi. I did want a train wreck, but it’s pretty painful watching the fake train wreck they’re putting on. A couple of fake gays, and fake villains. Maybe a couple of real gays (not JJ and Clint) from what I can see. A “healer” put on the show to be a circus freak. A hillbilly. A welder & a bunch of personal trainers. Geez, what is this WWE? The show has become a caricature of itself. It’s now a fake show, being overtly fake and more over the top to the point where everyone has to see what’s going on, right? I was listening on the radio today & nobody on the program was buying that JJ and Clint were gay…. and they kind of turned on the show for using gayness, in an negative way (oh, look at the homos, can you believe it? way), to pump up their ratings.

And somehow, through all of this, they managed to make it really boring. That’s not easy to do. Nice job MF.

June 2, 2015 at 12:20 PM

@angelfish: I didn’t quite get the Chick Fil A thing. I love me some Spicy Chicken Sandwich once in a while. CFA is everywhere these days. Malls, burbs, trendy spots, airports…. Inside joke? Sorry if I’m being thick.

9. caffeinequeen

June 2, 2015 at 12:30 PM

A couple of comments– I actually did appreciate knowing that they don’t *usually* subject the birds, snakes, etc. to humans and vice-versa in that horror-themed escape adventure. It’s not something I am going to find out first hand. I like solving puzzles but that whole experience (and what the hell was in that toilet?!) doesn’t appeal.

The guys would have to be pretty dim not to figure out that the sex ed talks were a set up. Still, kid actors or not, that was a new low. Middle school-age-kids don’t need to know which part of the female anatomy “makes her want to have sex with you again.” That segment ranged from just (predictably) poor taste to skeezy.

10. caffeinequeen

June 2, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Rob22, the founder of Chik-fil-A has donated millions to organizations with anti-gay agendas. It has caused them some PR problems, but they stand by their “traditional family unit” values. Consumers who disagree with the founder’s philosopy vote their disapproval with their wallets by not eating at Chik-fil-A.

11. vessel

June 2, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Aside from it being a really weird activity for a date, the sex ed thing didn’t bother me at all. I’m sure most of those kids already knew about the majority of that stuff anyway. I had sex ed class at roughly their age and that was a LONG time ago, so you have to figure these days there is much less innocence among middle school aged children.

12. locondcoco

June 2, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Anyone else notice during Ben/Kaitlyn’s date, when they were trying to solve the password, on one particular try they said “password must be at least 6 characters”. But then the password ends up being “roses”, which is only FIVE?!

13. ksrsfan

June 2, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Angelfish and Caffeinequeen, seems to me every Chik Fil A I have ever seen is super busy, so I’m not sure your boycott is affecting them any. Dan Cathy started a chain that is the BEST at customer service and promoting “family values”, they also have great food! I hope you are not buying any gasoline that comes from an Islamic country where they believe gays should be killed. SMH

14. angelfish

June 2, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Rob22,
    Caffeinequeen explained my comment more succinctly than I ever could. *LOL*

I just prefer my chicken sandwiches without a side of intolerance and homophobia.

15. angelfish

June 2, 2015 at 2:00 PM

ksrsfan,
    When I have the option to exercise my choice in which businesses I patronize, I do so. If I was able to buy gas from an American company, I would certainly do that.

And I don’t fool myself that my choices make any significant impact on those organizations as a whole, but they do make an impact on how well I sleep at night.

But as it’s your right to define “family values” in your own way, it is also mine. SMH

June 2, 2015 at 3:14 PM

I think you guys have Chick Fil A pegged wrong. The founder, Truett Cathy, who is no longer alive, was not an intolerant man. In fact, he was a great man. Dan Cathy, his son, who is the CEO of the company managed to create the PR nightmare by going against company policy with his remarks. He thought he was speaking as a private citizen, which borders on the ridiculous when you’re CEO of a high profile company.

I know higher ups at Chick Fil A and Dan Cathy pissed off pretty much the whole company with his foot in mouth antics. In fact, the PR VP, who worked mega hours trying to clean up the mess, had a heart attack and died because of all the stress. Many in the company blamed Dan Cathy for that.

So, if you want to equate Dan Cathy’s remarks with being Chick Fil A’s corporate opinion, go ahead. Dan Cathy created the problem, so I don’t blame you for believing that. And you don’t have to eat there if you don’t want. But, it’s based on a falsehood. Chick Fil A is all about diversity and their goal is to offer up a good chicken sandwich with a good Christian smile. The good Christian kind that loves everyone. Not the kind that Dan Cathy spewed.

I know the media spun it differently and Dan Cathy DID say what he said…. because he had his head up his arse. But Chick Fil A is a great company. I had a son that worked there for a couple of years during High School and there is no place that treats teenagers better than Chick Fil A.

BTW: he worked there during the whole fire storm. The protest was pretty non existent. Which, spoke well of people. The few incidents out there where people took out their anger against the teenage help was really awful. I mean protest at the corporate headquarters if you have something to say. Cussing out a teenager does exactly what? They don’t even know what’s going on. But, fortunately very few did that. I thought those that supported CFA on the Chick Fil A pride day may have been good intentioned, but unfortuanately too many of them shared Dan Cathy’s opinion. But there’s nothing CFA could do about that. They didn’t organize the protest or the support days. Outside groups were responsible for that and CFA had to just try to survive both.

Bottom line, there’s a shred of truth to this stuff because of Dan Cathy’s mouth. But, most of it’s just a creation of the media’s need for a story and various group’s (pro and against) desire to create attention for themselves.

June 2, 2015 at 3:27 PM

BTW: the group that the Winshape foundation supported (the giving arm of Chick Fil A, which has some amazing programs) was a group that was on somebody’s anti gay list because one of the things they did (a very small part of what they did) was have a program that was designed to turn gay people straight. That made them a hate group. Ill- advised, of course. But a hate group? That same list contains Fellowship of Christian Athletes, which is an amazing organization. So, why are they a hate group? Because in 2011 they had an article on their website about a man who was once gay and somehow (I don’t know the details) became straight. So, that made the Fellowship of Christian Athletes a hate group. Again, I don’t know what’s up with this idea of converting gays to straights. But, does that make FCA a hate group? Anyways. Shades of gray. I don’t agree with what those groups do in regards to believing gays can be turned straight, but does that negate anything good they do & make them a hate group? Overblown.

Again, if you don’t like it and don’t want to eat there. That’s your choice. But gays are welcome at CFA to work, eat, or whatever. My son worked with an openly gay kid there. It seems impossible based on the press they get. But honestly, it’s not that, at all.

18. purplerayne

June 2, 2015 at 4:26 PM

Promoting programs that focus on turning gays straight is as ignorant and hateful as setting up camps where blacks and jews can become white. That is why those organization are (rightfully) classified as a hate group. Doesnt matter how much good work you do in the community if behind closed doors your core values are distorted.

Regarding CFA, one dumb person shouldnt spoil the entire franchise. I think most people realize the details behind the scandal and have moved on.

19. angelfish

June 2, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Rob22,
    I appreciate the time & effort you put into your responses, however we will have to agree to disagree about this issue.

20. purplerayne

June 2, 2015 at 4:36 PM

“To say Chris wasn’t interested in finding someone is bogus”.

You can read into the motivations of Chris all you want, and you are entitled to your opinon…but you cant tell Steve that what he thinks is bogus. He gets legit inside scoop each season. Don’t you think that somebody on the production staff, behind the scenes had conversations with him that exposed his real reason for being on the show? Steve will never go into detail but he has made it clear that what he knows from his sources tell him Chris was never serious about the gig or any of the girls. Nothing that has happened has proved otherwise.

21. bitsyvonbusty

June 2, 2015 at 5:06 PM

Regarding Chick Fil A…..I’m pro choice and all for gay marriage…..so accordingly, I “protested” when the homophobic comments came out. Months later, I succumbed to a delicious sandwich from Chick. Hashtag blessed.

I read Steve’s recap like I watching the show last night…..FAST FORWARD. The whole thing boring all around.

22. itslaura77

June 2, 2015 at 8:58 PM

Thank you Steve, for the Grease 2 homage!! I was VERY excited about that. I watched the movie on repeat back in the summer of ’83, so I can relate!! It was also my very first record!!
    Read more at http://realitysteve.com/2015/06/01/unreal-premiere-tonight-10-9c-on-lifetime/comment-page-1/#comments#m5EJabaEU7jfP1X1.99

23. cjscjs711

June 2, 2015 at 11:39 PM

@rob22 Spot on your comments about the show becoming a caricature of itself….. The kids sex ed was a new low. Actors or not. Fleiss et al. seem to be trying too hard.

24. penguinfan01

June 3, 2015 at 3:20 AM

I am trying to like Kaitlyn and the show this season but I gotta say its up there in my top 3 of most boring along with Ben and Jake. At least Ben had Courtney to get us through the season, and Jake had Vienna. She is losing me already. I am channel surfing during the show and this episode I didn’t even watch, I just counted on Steves recap. Also, I thought the show sunk to a new low level using the kids like that, and having guys butts and junk hanging out with people watching. To me this is the most disgusting season so far, and I am over it already. I will just wait for Tuesdays to see what happened. I don’t want to watch Nick V either, doesn’t interest me. I can’t believe they are getting the ratings they are. I think Britt with her sex appeal would have been more interesting. Just my opinion. BTW I Love CFA, eat there whenever possible.

25. serapa

June 3, 2015 at 6:35 AM

Emily Maynard was the character that got me interested in watching the Bachelor shows again. Since then, I have to admit, the Bachelorette (other than Emily) is usually pretty boring. I watch it anyway b/c there’s not much on TV in the summer, but I honestly find Kaitlyn’s season really unbelievable bc I am not buying her confessions of looking for love and a husband. I bought it with Emily and I really liked Desiree’s sweetness. I also didn’t mind Andi b/c I could see she was genuinely falling for Josh and she was really bright. But Kaitlyn is gorgeous, but just doesn’t fit as the Bachelorette. That’s why the ratings are up though. Kaitlyn is unpredictable and different.

26. coffeeinchicago

June 3, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Trashy as expected.

June 3, 2015 at 9:13 AM

serapa: I agree, Emily’s season was probably the best Bachelorette. It is kind of ironic what a phony she turned out to be. Sleeping with guys while claiming to be chaste. Claiming to be looking for love, but all the while building her brand. It seemed odd, at the time, that she’d dump Sean in favor of Jef and Arie. I guess that all makes much more sense in the context of what we now know. Emily was just a great actor. I still think that Britt could have been Emily 2.0, phony, or not. But, we’ll never know, I guess.

With this group of guys, I think the season is doomed whether it was Britt, Kaitlyn or anyone else.

28. punk

June 3, 2015 at 9:28 AM

This franchise is either going to need to do a slight rebrand and tweak things to make it more real, or it is going to crash and burn soon because people are seeing behind the curtain too much.

I know Steve says that they do not “cast” contestants, but I say that is a bit bogus. Of course reality shows do. They all do. I personally know people who have been cast on reality shows. Mr Horned Up was put on the show to play the role he played. Many of these guys are here for fake drama, and they know it, so they play their role. Most go on for fame, but many forget that they actually need to be likeable. The ones that blow it are people who come across as major idiots, and are not as funny as they think they are. Or act spacey, then get on BIP (hi Ashley!). It’s a job for them.

The Bachelor track record on there being a happy ending is atrocious, and the Bach’ette is not much better. And it is because Fliess wants a circus, complete with sideshow freaks, instead of just having the main attraction be the event itself.

I’ve been watching for 10 years. Since Season 1, and I am about to tap out because the formula is getting predictable and tired. Trying to make it more crazy, zany and ridiculous is not the solution. People want the fairy tale, not the clown car.

PS–it is obvious that RS source is a show producer–or someone tight with one. His info leads that that. After reading the article by the the co-creator of UnReal, I am sure of it.

29. ksrsfan

June 3, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Oops, I stand corrected, thanks Rob22, I meant to say Truett Cathy as the founder of CFA. Was unaware that his son, Dan, has caused so much drama! Thanks for the info on the company.

I agree that this season is the lowest MF has sunk yet. I can’t believe any sane parents would have allowed their kid to participate in that awful sex ed class. And the sumo date was hard to watch, I think half of the people watching the exposition wanted to cover their eyes too!

Bring back the fairy tale! Even though I know this is all scripted, but I won’t watch if it keeps being raunchy!!

30. purplerayne

June 3, 2015 at 1:04 PM

“For whatever reason Chris and Whitney broke up….it’s probably simple. He portrayed himself as a simpleton and he turned out to be a simpleton with veneers. Nuf said.”

haha, clapping. yup, thats the best way to put it!