Reader Emails

“Reader Emails” & Who’s NOT Covering the Snapchat Story is Telling

As we head down the last month or so of the season, the tabloids start ramping up their coverage of the “Bachelorette” and you can expect to see some story about something related to the show in there every week. Obviously the biggest news of the past week was last Friday’s bombshell of Kaitlyn’s Snapchat video in bed with Shawn. Every major outlet ran a story on it: E!, TVGuide.com, Huffington Post, Perez Hilton, TMZ, EW.com…well, all except for two: US Weekly and People. The two outlets who cover this show more than any of the others, and whaddya’ know, in the biggest social media scandal this show has ever had, neither of them have said a peep about it when all their competition has run with it. Why? Because ABC is in bed with them and they will feel the wrath if they do. You can see US Weekly’s cover this week is about Ben and Jennifer, and Kaitlyn made a sidebar, but there’s nothing in there about the Snapchat video. Btw, if you’re still doubting Kaitlyn sleeps with Nick on Monday, basically that headline on the cover about Kaitlyn is about how Kaitlyn breaks Shawn’s heart because she slept with another man. I love it when media outlets basically reveal who they have to protect. US Weekly and People not running a word about the Snapchat video and it’s been five days is hilarious. They’re not going to either, trust me. They can’t. Fleiss would be on the phone with them in four seconds cutting off all their media access if they do.

Former contestant on Sean’s season, Katie Levans, wrote a column online today about what the whole experience was like. You probably don’t remember Katie by name, but when you read the story it’ll probably ring a bell. Looks like she had a whale of a time on the show and would recommend it to anyone. Or whatever the the opposite of that is.

I guess we got a resounding answer to the poll question yesterday. As of this post, 7,500 people have voted and a whopping 84% of you are happy with the new spoiler. I guess you are all hopeless romantics after all. Either that, or you loved that I was wrong. One of the two.

Don’t forget “Dr. Reality Steve” back tomorrow along with your live video chat which I’m sure will be quite interesting. Bring it. I’ve never hid from being wrong and won’t this time. Let me have it.

Our RHOC recapper Nell Kalter’s post went up a little late yesterday, so if you haven’t read it, you can check it out right here.

Wanted to point this out that an emailer brought to my attention yesterday.

“So…Nick was the last person to receive a rose at the Mets Stadium. Oh, the suspense. Kaitlyn gives out her heart-felt speech about Nick. Suspense. Who will she choose? One rose left. The music gets louder, and louder, until — It’s Nick who receives the last rose.

My, oh my. Did you see the editing mistake?

Look at the picture when Shawn was called up for his rose.

Nickwithrose

I guess another intern will get docked pay this week for that blunder. Then again, this happens at least once or twice a season, so by now it shouldn’t surprise us.

1. rstout2006

June 17, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Interesting to note that Chris Harrison’s Q&A with Robyn Ross (TV Guide) isn’t up this week… They posted about the snapcat video, so the powers that be may have pulled these interviews?

2. purplerayne

June 17, 2015 at 11:04 AM

I for one am happy about the new outcome because it makes Kaitlyn look a bit better. I just dont think the poor girl could handle any more heat from the public. Its NASTY out there.

Regarding Nick….here is why these girls are into him (at first). He is a good salesman! He seems sincere in the moment. He’s one of those guys that is probably really good at asking questions, getting the girls to trust him…hell, he should be a producer on this show!

3. pepperminticecream

June 17, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Oh man. This would never have happened if she’d been using http://www.theplumeapp.com

June 17, 2015 at 11:54 AM

purplerayne: I don’t think anything can save Kaitlyn now. After Nick & the SnapChat vid, she’s toast to a lot of the public. Besides, even if you play it pretty straight like Sean or Emily did, you’re still going to get plenty of haters. I think the description of going on reality TV is that people believe they can play the system & come out looking good. But, in fact, they are being played & there’s nothing they can do about it. So, we know that Kaitlyn has the slut edit already and the SnapChat vid & sleeping with Nick is only adding to that (when the Nick thing hits the mainstream media after next week’s show, it’s going to get even uglier). Like I said, she’s going to take a beating until after the show ends & she breaks up with Shawn.

There is a local radio personality that was being enticed into a reality show. His wife wanted to do it. The way he talked her out of it is, on air, using cut/pasted conversations she had on air with the show to make her look like a drunken whore. The message was that “this is what will happen if we do this”. So, they ended up declining.

5. veno

June 17, 2015 at 12:23 PM

I wonder what’s going on with Britt and Brady… I hope they are still together but doesn’t look like it. Britts social media presence is like almost none existent so it’s hard to tell, Brady on the others hand seems like a smitten kitten but the pics he posts seems like old pics. Anyway just thought I should put it out there since I don’t care about Kaitlyns season honestly stopped watching after ep3 but keeping up with this blog because I’ll DEFINITELY tune in for Men Tell All… That should be interesting ????

6. akblondee

June 17, 2015 at 12:44 PM

UnReal makes me very uncomfortable. I feel like Rachel is such a sad character. It’s one thing to know that this show is completely make believe (I started watching the show Andy Baldwin’s season and have been a die hard RS fan since Jason/Molly season) but it’s another to really see how it is done in my opinion.

Keep doing what you do Steve…you are the only reason I watch this show anymore!

7. beebifidum

June 17, 2015 at 1:45 PM

@purpluerayne: yes, you’re absolutely right regarding Nick. Before being on the Bachelorette twice he was a computer software salesman. Talk about being able to sell a terribly boring and dull product for 99% of the population — and yet he was able to make a living doing it. He looks slimy to us watching TV, but he must be very persuasive face-to-face.

8. Athena

June 17, 2015 at 2:50 PM

@rob22, to follow-up on what you posted, many of us here make comments to the effect of “these contestants knew what they were getting into” and therefore, whatever the show does to them is “their own fault”. While it’s true that there is a lot more information out there about what it’s really like to be on one of these shows, I still think most people go into it with the idea that they can “beat it” or “work with it”, etc. The reality is that the power is all on the other side, and there is just a really small way to control what they decide to do to your image.

9. nora j

June 17, 2015 at 4:08 PM

I still don’t get the Nick bashing. He didn’t come “guns ablazing” or whatever on the ATFR. He’s had nothing but kind words to say about Andi. And he called her out for something SHE did, that they both did. I still don’t understand how people are turning this around on Nick like he’s a bad person. It still amazes me.

I’m glad Kaitlyn is not a hypocrite like Andi. If she did sleep with Nick she at least acknowledged her part it in and said she wasn’t ashamed of it and admitted to it. Maybe a part of why she did is because she didn’t want to be like Nick telling everyone afterwards but that is smart on her part. She’s at least owning up to her actions.I don’t think there’s gonna be any reason for Nick to call Kaitlyn out on the ATFR because they think more similarly, ie they are both honest and not hypocrites. I’m sure even though Kaitlyn dumps Nick he still respects her.

June 17, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Well nora, I suppose a lot of that depends on what the show wants. If they want Nick to blow up Kaitlyn at ATFR, that glory hog will probably do what he needs to do to keep that ball rolling…. I’m sure angling for being The Bachelor. Obviously, for some unknown reason, this slime ball has his share of fans. If his competition is Josh…. well, if you can’t beat Josh, what the hell good are you. And certainly none of the meatheads that are with him this season have any shot at all. At least, that’s what Nick is telling himself.

11. brick

June 17, 2015 at 5:19 PM

I disagree that the show is going out of its way to make Kaitlyn look bad or to give her a bad edit. If they wanted to they could do a whole lot worse. It’s nothing Kaitlyn hasn’t talked about herself in interviews. They’re not putting one over on the public. She is who she is. I still think in many ways she’s the female version of Ben and Juan Pablo. The editing this season is no worse than what we saw with Ben and Juan P. Actually I think they’re being kinder to her.

I’m glad Kaitlyn chose someone in the end and a person she genuinely seems to have chemistry with, at that. I’m ok with people not choosing anyone in the end, but in Kaitlyn’s case I think it’s better that she went with Shawn rather than no one. While I still think she’s one of the least entertaining bachelorettes they’ve ever had, I still wish her well and hope things work out for her.

Also I enjoy Reality Steve’s write-ups and I’m thankful for him passing on what he’s told. If the information changes sometimes along the way, I’m fine with that. It’s to be expected. He still goes above and beyond and doesn’t deserve the angry criticisms.

I just hope for Kaitlyn’s sake the person she mentioned on Ryan Seacrest’s show, the unnamed male who she said she sent naked pictures of herself to who wasn’t her boyfriend at the time, isn’t Nick. Nick has a way of getting back at the bachelorettes when they don’t pick him. It’s hard to understand someone doing something so dumb at her age but I hope for her sake it wasn’t NIck.

12. gemsnob

June 17, 2015 at 7:19 PM

For those of you constantly asking about Sean & Catherine they have no desire to have full-time jobs. They pimp out products on social media and do whatever Sean’s agent can dig up for them. Personally, selling Amazon water bottles on social media is scraping the bottom of the barrel but that is my opinion. I would encourage everyone that has a problem with this to NOT click on links for products they endorse on social media. I have no clue if they are paid based on “clicks” or based on items “purchased”. To be safe DON’T do either that way you are not contributing to their $ account. Hopefully SOONER rather than later no one will care what they do and it won’t be an issue for anyone. Again this is my personal opinion. 3 reality shows is a big win for them so his agent did “good”!

13. amelie

June 17, 2015 at 7:53 PM

The Katie Levans column has been removed, does anyone have a copy of it?

14. adrie

June 18, 2015 at 12:45 AM

I’m finding this season a really weird one, a bit of a car wreck to be honest. It’s almost like they’ve gone too far to create drama and keep it interesting so there’s all these dud guys, Nick, early exits, Nick, rose ceremonies all over the place, Nick, no real character build up and of course more Nick. I don’t feel I get a sense of who Kaitlyn is compared with other Bachelorettes. Ironically I don’t hate Nick because I hated Andi SO much during JPs season, I boycotted watching hers. I hope Ben Z is the next Bachelor!

15. smartgirlchic

June 18, 2015 at 8:43 PM

Hi Steve,

I’m pretty new to your commentary, so you may have commented on this in the past? Has anyone else noticed how completely checked out Chris Harrison is on the show these days? To me he was never a super important figure, but in the past it seemed he at least kinda cared how people were feeling? Now he just looks soulless and blank in response to the crying and emotions. In particular when he interacts with Kaitlyn, he looks like he’s interviewing a potential new dentist. I’m wondering if he’s not fond of Kaitlyn? Maybe the myriad seasons of ludicrous people have desensitized him to the dramatic lack of real emotions displayed in front of him? Have the producers put him in a more backseat role this season? Any insights? Thanks! :)

16. jcrew617

June 18, 2015 at 8:54 PM

Yeah, I do think RS is a bit too bravado on his spoilers if his sources aren’t good. what probably happened was that Shawn just told his family and friends that he came in second or she rejected his proposal. Its not difficult to figure out the insiders are friends of castmembers giving out info. Ever since Jason/MR there seems to be a real vendetta for spoilers. While I think fans like the fantasy production, most people can separate fantasy from reality. The show is built on emotion, fans get emotional, castmembers get feelings hurt, but at the end of the day, its just a fake tv show for entertainment. Also, I never believed Fleiss would let Katlyn choose no one, it would be a PR disaster. A gameshow must always have a winner.