The Bachelorette 11 - Kaitlyn/Britt

The “Bachelorette” Episode 9 Recap Including Who is the Next “Bachelor?”

Unless it’s during filming and a date is happening, I usually don’t spoil stuff on Twitter. I know there are plenty of people that follow me on there that want spoilers every second of every day, but there are some things that I just don’t like spoiling on there. Today was a perfect example. Last night in an email conversation I had, I found out that Ben H. was solidified this past weekend as the next “Bachelor.” Oh sure, he was playing coy and pretending he didn’t want the gig and what not because that’s what he was told to do by producers, but as mentioned here a couple weeks ago, his name was the one I was hearing more often than not and everything was pointing in his direction. Then you watch the episode last night and you’re like, “How can the next Bachelor be anyone BUT Ben?” The way it played out, the things Kaitlyn said, the things he said, it was like his “Bachelor” audition tape. So I was all set to have breaking news for you today that even though ABC won’t make the announcement until whenever (possibly the ATFR), that Ben H. is going to be the next “Bachelor.” I didn’t want to tweet that out last night because tweeting something that big gets lost on Twitter.

However, E! Online posted about an hour ago that their “sources,” (i.e. – the people at the MTA taping) are saying producers have agreed on Ben as the next “Bachelor.” So yeah, it’s him. I’m hearing we might get the announcement at the ATFR, but that Ben will begin shooting his promo photos and video intro this week. I don’t think this should surprise anyone. He was really the only logical candidate from this season, and although he’s one of the youngest “Bachelor’s” they’ve ever cast as the lead, he makes the most sense from this season. Will he be good? Will he suck? Don’t know and don’t care. My job is the same every season, so as long as there IS a season, that’s all that’s important to me.

Your blogs are out for this week. As of this posting, Kaitlyn’s blog for People.com hasn’t yet gone up, so I just have both of Chris Harrison’s. In his weekly TVGuide.com interview, he actually said a couple of interesting things. 1) Saying he wants to get Shawn and Nick on the stage together at the ATFR because it’s the first time they’ve really had a final two that hated each other. 2) Alluding to the fact that Kaitlyn definitely chose one over the other. So in case there was any doubt as to maybe the initial spoiler was right and she chose no one – Chris basically threw that idea out the window. As for his Yahoo blog, pretty much a lot of the same stuff.

Ratings are in from last night and were pretty consistent with last week, although down .1 in the 18-49 demo. Roughly 7 million overall viewers this week, with a 1.9 rating compared to a 2.0 rating last week. Andi’s 9th episode last season? 6.65 million and a 1.7 rating. I expect the MTA next to trend down a little since those shows always do. But definitely would expect at least 8 million for the finale, with another 500k to 1 million tuning in for the ATFR.

Your RHOC recap with Nell Kalter is now up for your viewing pleasure. Has Josh Hamilton’s ex-wife showed up yet on this season? There were reports here in Dallas she was set to be on this season since when they were filming, Josh was still on the Angels, they weren’t divorced yet, and they were living in OC.

The “official” BIP 2 cast list with head shots was released today on Yahoo, even though they still didn’t include Ashley I’s sister Lauren yet. Nor any of the people who enter the show later on. What’s funny is, if you saw my tweet this morning, when they first put up this link, they had Tenley Molzahn on there as “Ashley Mozlahn.” Nice. It’s since been fixed, but hopefully some intern got their pink slip after that one.

Yes, I am aware what Kaitlyn said about me in her Periscope Sunday morning with Becca in their hotel room. A few of you have emailed me on it like this one:
__________________________________________________________

Hi Steve,

Long time reader and fan of your website!

I just watched a periscope from Becca Tilley that also had Kaitlyn on it and I was surprised that Kaitlyn showed a lot of hate your way. She said to never click on your site, that you make up lies, and are a grown man obsessed with the bachelorette. From what I read, you seem to have never written anything negative about her…especially in comparison to all the hate she gets elsewhere. Why do you think she has such a negative opinion of you? I understand as a lead, the show doesn’t want them to acknowledge your website, but there is no need to state what she did either.

Thoughts?

Yes. Here are my thoughts: Don’t care. I cover the show, make fun of it, and post spoilers. Been doing it for over 10 years now. If she doesn’t like me for whatever reason, that’s fine. I’m not trying to be anyone’s friend writing this column. Doesn’t affect me in any way. Moving on…
__________________________________________________________

Pretty simple poll question this week. We have our new “Bachelor” now. So what do you think?

1. punk

July 14, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Zero regrets = zero bitterness, combined with time. Andi should know that herself since she and Josh breakup had bitterness on twitter. So I suppose she had regrets too then? Or perhaps emotions were still high, and they faded in time. Maybe like Nick?

I have to say that Nick’s family is the best thing about him. Seem like really good, normal people. Dude needs to try to be grounded like they are and stop chasing reality TV women. Big mistake. Oh, and stop posting shirtless photos on twitter. So lame for a 34-year old dude. Grow up man.

Kaitlyn and Shawn just seem like a bad pairing. Would not be shocked if they are fighting on the After show. I see this as a Josh/Andi demise. Just not gonna work.

Wonder why Kaitlyn’s family has been excluded so far. Very curious. That is the biggest change this year. By now, the guys would have met her family, so I wonder if it is going to happen now.

July 14, 2015 at 10:41 AM

So Nick, how did the re-boot go for you? Did you fix your image? Ooof. Gut punch. These people never learn. You were such the perfect cuckold the first time, they decided to recast you in the same role.

And Chewbacca, how about that light saber fight with Nick. You looked awesome. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. You complemented Kaitlyn’s teenage girl antics quite well.

Did anyone catch Peter Brady rocking those capris after his date? Another notch in the gay column for PBrady. I’m just sayin. #First Gay Bachelor. I honestly don’t think he slept with Kaitlyn in the Fantasy Suite. There is only one reason that could have happened.

All I can say about Kaitlyn at this point, is she is a complete narcissist. I’m sure the show encourages this, but I don’t think she needs much help. She’s going to sleep with whoever she wants, whenever she wants. She’s going to use her power to make you strip down on national TV so she can check out your junk. She’s going to sleep with another guy and then tell you about it with the cameras rolling…. telling you essentially that it’s her right to do so. Emasculating a guy is just nothing to be concerned about.

She’s going to share whatever she wants to share on social media, regardless of how it makes her look like a bratty teenage girl. Yeah, RS just killed you. Woman, have you even read the comments sections everywhere. RS was not even the neighborhood of any of that. And, given her teen-brat persona, Shawn is the perfect match for her. Big, dumb and whiny. I’m glad the two of them are off the market now. That saves a couple of people out there a lot of pain.

3. caffeinequeen

July 14, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Carolyn was Shawn’s aunt, not step-mother. Her opinion must not matter too much since we never saw her again after she was introduced.
    And, what was with the dare to streak across the golf course? It’s not like she wasn’t going to see everything Shawn had to offer in a couple of hours anyway. He should have told her he’d streak only if she streaked with him. It’s only fair :-)

4. kayla

July 14, 2015 at 11:18 AM

1. Chances that Kaitlyn dumps Shawn at ATFR ala Jason/Melissa/Molly? I could just see Kaitlyn watching this back and changing her mind – Shawn gets worse and worse every week while Nick seems to be improving (can’t believe I just typed that…)…
    2. Am I the only one who noticed that Nick and brothers weren’t acting like a bunch of creepy liars covering their mouths whenever they speak in front of Mama Viall, but with Kaitlyn, they all cover their mouths like a bunch of creepy liars whenever they speak? *shudder*

5. vessel

July 14, 2015 at 11:51 AM

The lead’s family meets the final two at the finale. I would guess Kaitlyn’s family will be there for that.

I wonder if the casting people will capitalize on Peter’s age by casting a bunch of early 30’s women to get people talking.

6. Jman123

July 14, 2015 at 12:37 PM

When Ben left the room with the backpack and a smile, I just imagined a high school kid banging the local milf and then heading off from her place to school. Did Nick put down Shawn at all during the process prior to Shawn saying things about him for weeks?

7. purplerayne

July 14, 2015 at 1:12 PM

To Punk: Her family hasnt been excluded. Where did you get that idea from? Final show/final two is where we meet the lead’s family.

To Rob22: The examples you gave of what makes Kaitlyn a narcissist can be applied to every lead. You have to be, to a certain degree, if you decide to do this show and welcome the attention. Becca, Jillian, Andi…all these girls are on social media hamming it up like Kaitlyn. Its par the course nowadays for these contestants.

8. purplerayne

July 14, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Yikes, Nick, although an attention hoe, is coming across as the reasonable one in this entire fiasco. He’s been clearheaded and calm during all these confrontations. And yes, he had an advantage of having done it before, but man, Shawn is really looking like a fool. I cringe for him.

9. Sunnyside422

July 14, 2015 at 1:16 PM

I personally hope Nick shows up at least one more time on the next Bachelorette! He is TV gold! Poor schmuck with his corn screwed hair, lispy speech and he covers his mouth cause he knows his lisp is evident! Can’f fathom what the heck he is yapping about most times.

Both he and Shawn are fuggly looking at least Ben is easy on the eyes. He has been perfect all season and I don’t see gay. He could just be a nice guy who will probably be ruined by this insipid show. I bet the woman will be drooling all over him. Go get um Ben.

10. nora j

July 14, 2015 at 1:46 PM

I don’t understand how Chris H. wants Shawn and Nick to talk it out again. It’ll just be another shouting match because Nick didn’t do anything wrong and Shawn just has this hateful jealous rage for him that isn’t gonna change. So Nick can’t even apologize for anything so nothing will get resolved. and if I were Nick I wouldn’t even apologize for telling Kaitlyn about the Eskimo bros comment because Nick only said that because Shawn has been so hateful towards him. I doubt Nick would’ve said anything if Shawn was civil to him. If I were Nick I would just stay the hell away from Shawn…he’s not worth talking to. He’s an irrational manipulative a-hole.

11. nora j

July 14, 2015 at 1:50 PM

purplerayne….I’m not surprised about Nick’s reaction. He has never been confrontational or had a bad temper. When Cody railed on him the first season Nick was the calm one.

Also I don’t see how Nick is an attention whore. He came on the show strictly for Kaitlyn. I doubt he would’ve come on the show if Britt were the bachelorette so Shawn’s stupid theory that he’s just here to redeem himself is bs…now maybe the producers want to redeem Nick cuz they were the ones who heavily edited Nick to make his confidence in his and Andi’s relationship appear to be arrogance cuz they had nothing else exciting that season to focus on.

12. nora j

July 14, 2015 at 1:53 PM

purplerayne…Nick has always been calm and non confrontational and reasonable…that hasn’t really changed since last season so not surprised about Nick’s reaction.

Shawn disgusts me. I almost can’t watch anymore because of him. I’m looking forward to a new refreshing season with Ben H.

July 14, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Just remember. Nick is looking better and better for one reason. The competition is Alf. Nick’s got some VP of Sales job. Those sales execs tend to be annoying jack wagons, but they are intelligent and have big jobs, which they didn’t get by being some half wit muscle heads on steroids. Alf’s a “personal trainer”. Which generally means he’s semi-jobless, drops by the gym for half a day & a couple of out of shape bubble boys pay him because they don’t know how to do a push up.

If Nick can’t look good compared to Chewbacca, in short, he should kill himself. I’m imagining one of the reasons he came back on the show is that he saw the collection of losers and misfits that he’d be competing against. I can’t imagine he could see Kaitlyn picking Alf over him. But he over-estimated Kaithlyn, big time. I think a lot of readers of this site over-estimated her too. Pretty much everyone’s turned on her now. Kaitlyn, Social Media is not your friend. You’re 30. Snapchat is for teens that want to post drunken dickpics. You’re a grown woman.

14. jlyoung

July 14, 2015 at 2:09 PM

I love all the hate going towards Shawn. He is absolutely pathetic. You can see the desperation and panic in his face every time he’s not touching or near Kaitlyn. This is one of the very few seasons (and I’ve watched them all) where I actually look forward to hearing about Kaitlyn and Shawn’s breakup. I’ll be happy to see the last of him. I’m hoping that the producers see he doesn’t have the personality or looks to be brought back to the franchise for any reason! Good riddens Shawn.

I was never a big fan of Nick’s but next to Shawn he’s really coming off as a nice, good guy. I’m finding him more attractive and appealing with every episode. I would be rooting for him if we didn’t already know the outcome. I’ll probably get teary watching him be rejected, again. :-(

I think Peter Brady/Donny Osmond (Peter Osmond) is going to be way too nice to make his season interesting. The bachelor should have a little bit of an edge, angle or at least a slight imperfection. He reminds me of a catalog model come to life.

July 14, 2015 at 2:10 PM

BTW purplerayne, you are correct. I could put the narcissist tag on 90% of the leads of this franchise. You could count on one hand the leads who were level headed.

16. jlyoung

July 14, 2015 at 2:14 PM

@rob22….I love your comparison of Nick vs. Alf. Hilarious and so true!

17. adrie

July 14, 2015 at 3:20 PM

@kayla I literally had the exact same thought regarding point 1! Hoping there’s a shawn/nick switch at after the final rose. This season has been so boring and she might end up with Nick who has at least acted decently (so editing leads us to believe).

18. missannmcd

July 14, 2015 at 4:17 PM

Rob22: “If Nick can’t look good compared to Chewbacca, in short, he should kill himself.” Bwahaha! That is just gold right there and nearly an oxymoron. Haha! Good one.
    I am loving reading the comments today and sorta agree with nearly everything which is strange for me so good job mateys. I mean, good job whether I agree or not but I happen to agree on all these great comments and observations here today. These characters this season have pretty much written themselves and speak for themselves which is ironic. I don’t even think the producers had to do much- just keep the cameras rolling and allow them to give their own idiotic edits. That’s the part I love about Kaitlyn’s season. I do hope they return to the former format though. I will not watch another season with a soap opera format. Think I don’t mean it? I do. When I make a decision I stick to it. Does anyone else think Shawn the Pawn has an oil slick face? As much as I dislike Nick I have to give him kudos for keeping his temper in check and remaining calm while hurricane Shawn was self destructing. I see a DV episode in Shawn’s future. Kaitlyn, you in danger girl…

19. freeasabird

July 14, 2015 at 5:29 PM

I too was confused as to where Kaitlyn’s family was. It’s this darn season of rose ceremonies in the middle and carrying days and dates over until the next week. I hate it! After the rose ceremony I almost delete the show even after all these screwed up weeks.

Peter Brady will be a great Bachelor to look at. Don’t know how he will be on the rest of the aspects of the show.

20. randpaul

July 14, 2015 at 5:31 PM

Help me understand. People who tweet or email you about getting the ending wrong are “mind blowing?” So, they should all be aware that you changed the ending due to the lead outing herself?

“No Nick No….don’t do it!! Do not sign up to go into combat again….we almost lost you once?” That would be appropriate. Tears and angst for The Bachelorette? Now I know where Nick gets it from.

I’m kinda thinking Kaitlyn’s distaste for Steve might be due to his smug attitude and misogynistic tendencies. Just maybe?

21. braveo900

July 14, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Umm Steve – neither let the other get a word in edgewise? No. That was all Shawn. Any reasonable person watching those scenes can conclude that Shawn is aggressive, judgmental, narrow-minded, and hypocritical in his interactions with Nick. He constantly talked over and interrupted Nick, while Nick let Shawn say what he wanted to say. Shawn revealed himself to be the ultimate fool who thinks he’s right just because he can talk louder.

22. SeaDub

July 14, 2015 at 6:49 PM

How Kaitlyn doesn’t run after watching Shawn is beyond me.

23. rockyandthor

July 14, 2015 at 9:31 PM

Hi Steve, I’m the anal one who wanted to know the name of the font on the Unreal date card. I just wanted to thank the 2 people who knew the name of the font, I was so impressed! It’s nice to know I’m not the only one out there- ????????

24. wavecatchingmom

July 14, 2015 at 10:02 PM

OMG that was frustrating to watch, I wanted Nick to say “dude, I have a REAL job, with real money and responsibility, so I gain nothing from being on this show other than Kaitlyn. I had a very real crush on her, and the only way to date her was to go on this show again or wait until she broke up with whoever won the show”. of course, he never could get a single word in edgewise, but I wish they would have had an ITM and said, OK, if Shawn WOULD have let you talk, what would you have said??? I was neutral on Shawn until his confrontations with Nick, what a tool. But yeah, I actually see Kaitlyn thriving on the “draima” and they will last a rocky 6 months… Nick, you should go for Whitney next!

25. brick

July 15, 2015 at 2:06 AM

Kaitlyn’s nonsense comments about RS only serve to make her look once again, like she’s still in high school. The irony is RS has gone easy on Kaitlyn and has backed her up considerably. My guess is her beef has more to do with what RS has said about her two loves – Nick and Shawn. Shawn’s really starting to get on my nerves for all the reasons people have mentioned. But the scene at the golf course where Kaitlyn orders him to undress and he meekly complies was beyond uncomfortable. That girl is nuts. I can’t see anyone being happy with someone as volatile as Shawn. But I can’t see anyone being happy with Kaitlyn either. Maybe this is a case of like attracts like and when they break up, if they haven’t already, perhaps it’s because they have a little too much in common with each other on the crazy scale.

July 15, 2015 at 5:55 AM

@brick: they are the nightmare couple, aren’t they? Their friends are going to be hating life for a couple of months. We all know couples like them. You know, the ones that suck the life out of a room as they alternatively pull all the attention towards themselves & then argue & bicker incessantly. I’m sure they both liquor up pretty quickly too. Things tend to go south quickly with the lethal combination of twin narcissists and booze. What a freaking clown show.

27. angelfish

July 15, 2015 at 6:06 AM

Does Nick still actually have a job? I know he’s just a salesman, but It seems like he’s been doing this fame-chasing for a LONG time.

28. simplybd

July 15, 2015 at 6:40 AM

Shawn is an ass! Nick came out of this looking like the sane one! I think that Ben H will be a great Bachelor. He seems like one of the nicest, most sincere guys they have had – maybe a little boring but they might be able to work with that – bring out his fun side. It would be nice if they would go back to the format of exotic dates, more travel, and just simply more romance – less drama!

July 15, 2015 at 8:39 AM

@angelfish: since someone commented in prior weeks about seeing Nick, in a suit, in Chicago, that implies that the guy does have a job. But, he must have one helluva great job that allows him to take two month vacations to fart around on a reality show. Like they say, it’s good work if you can get it.

It definitely makes more sense that Kaitlyn (no real job) and Shawn (a job for people that don’t really know anything and don’t want to work) are on the show.

30. jessicat

July 15, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Checkout the above link for a hilarious recap. This girl does it WAY better than Steve.

31. coffeeinchicago

July 15, 2015 at 9:00 AM

This season is just pathetic. We know nothing about Kaitlyn, except that she likes to make out. Their dates involve golfing… does it get any more boring than a round of 18 hole? Shawn’s “fight” with Nick was phony that Shawn himself couldn’t even keep a straight face. The hometown dates happen in a hotel room… really? Chris Harrison reads mean tweets about Kaitlyn during the MTA to show how awful people are [true], but this exactly what they wanted.

32. gailer

July 15, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Rob22,
    Yes I saw those capris on Ben! Lol

So the irony of this all is Nick and Shawn are Eskimo brothers if I understand the term correctly.

Who was youngest Bachelor? Anyone know?

33. veno

July 17, 2015 at 3:47 AM

Still loving how everyone here hated Britt and accused her of being fake and attention seeking when she’s actually the opposite compared to Becca Kaitlyn and the whole lot of them they are all such narcissists LOVING the attention this show is bringing them they all have websites and blogs and this and that, they are on ALL social media Facebook snapchat periscope Twitter Instagram just Raking in all the attention while Britt literally only uses one social media Instagram and she doesn’t even entertain any haters or anything like that…who’s the classy one now?