Reader Emails

“Reader Emails” and E!’s So-Called Exclusives

As I head to Vegas this weekend for my friend’s wife’s 40th birthday, I got to thinking about some of the Vegas stories I have with him. This is a friend I met in college and we’ve been buddies ever since. I’m the godfather to his second son, and to say we’ve had our fair share of Vegas stories would be an understatement. Some funny, some ridiculous, one that’ll never get re-told and some just being too inside where you’d even be interested. When we were in college in LA, there were nights where we’d be sitting around on a Friday or Saturday and just be like, “Lets go to Vegas” and we’d just pack some stuff, hop in the car, get there in about 3 1/2 hrs if he had his lead foot going, we’d gamble, take a nap in the car, then drive back. So we’ve been going for a good 20 years. You can imagine the stories. He had his 40th there a couple years ago, he wasn’t able to attend my 40th in Vegas because of kid obligations, and now his wife’s 40th this weekend should be a blast. Sure, it’s just me and 20 other couples or so, but how can you not have a good time in Vegas. I’m looking forward to it and I’m sure we’ll be able to add more memories to our list after this weekend. Especially if his wife is as hot at the craps tables as she was the last time they were there. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

E! Online really helped me out yesterday. And I mean that sincerely. Because when you’re a major entertainment news outlet, and you post stories on your site that I told people about weeks and sometimes months ago without so much as referencing me, it only adds credibility to this site, while making you look silly. In case you missed, E! had this boffo “exclusive” yesterday that Britt & Brady had broken up. Wow! You don’t say. Funny. I told everyone that three weeks ago right here. If that weren’t enough, then E! has another “exclusive” yesterday telling us that (gasp!) Nick and Kaitlyn were talking, texting, and Facetiming before the show. Man, I only had that one three months ago from the second I told you Nick was on the show. I point this out for two reasons: 1) In case you missed what they reported yesterday and 2) To show you how behind the “Bachelor/ette” 8 ball E! is. They are one of the outlets that is in good with the show. They have reporters that attend the tapings. They talk directly to contestants, yet, they never break anything. When you post “exclusives” that have been out for weeks and months somewhere else and don’t even bother to credit, you’re showing your true colors. Keep it comin’ E!. Your stories after-the-fact only help me in the long run.

TMZ reported today that JJ was jumped in a gang fight after the MTA after party Saturday night. This was the first I’ve heard of it, but considering JJ was taking pictures and having brunch the next day and looked perfectly fine, this could be a story a little blown out of proportion. So yes, it happened, but they’re making it seem a little worse than it was if you ask me.

One quick thing, a few of you emailed me yesterday to tell me that was Shawn’s aunt on the family date and not his step mom. I was wondering how I screwed that one up so bad so I went back and watched. When he introduced her, Shawn pronounced aunt like “ONT” and not “ANT,” you know, how like us normal people pronounce it. So “ONT” sounded like “mom” to me. I’m old and my hearing is going. Cut me some slack.

I’m sure you saw on social media, a lot of “Bachelor/ette” alums flew to NY yesterday to tape a segment for “Good Morning America” that’s supposedly going to run the morning of the finale on the 27th. Ali, Catherine, Andi, Des, Chris, Clare, and Farmer Chris were just a few that I saw mention it on social media – I’m sure there were more. I’ll try and find out what exactly it was that they filmed, but expect it to air the morning of the finale. Also, you know that Chris Harrison is the new host of “Who Wants to Be A Millionaire.” Well, just like they did with “Celebrity Family Feud,” there’s going to be a “Bachelor/ette” edition of that as well. Maybe a week’s worth of shows where alum from this show will compete. Once that starts taping, I’m sure you’ll see a lot of them posting about it on social media, but wanted to give you a heads up. Get your “Dr. Reality Steve” emails in for tomorrow. On to “Reader Emails…”

1. Michelle

July 15, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Good lord, I made an account just to write this. Saw the E! article earlier today about Kaitlyn & Nick texting. Scrolled down to the comments and two people had mentioned they had already seen the info on this site. After you posted this today I went back and WHAT DO YOU KNOW those comments had been deleted. Great “news source” there.

2. rawrkaz

July 15, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Pronouncing Aunt as ‘Ant’ has always driven me crazy. There’s a U in there, people.

3. randpaul

July 15, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Have fun in Vegas Steve. I love love love Las Vegas.

4. oddsmaker

July 15, 2015 at 11:21 AM

I know Steve doesn’t read these comments, but jeez why is he so mean to the people who send him emails? I understand it can be annoying to answer the same questions over and over again, but his readers are the ones who allow him to make a living off of this site. You’d think he’d be a little nicer.

July 15, 2015 at 11:38 AM

One of the emailers asked why Bachelor contestants are constantly hawking products. It’s a fair question. One thing I’ll say is that I was watching Shark Tank once & one of the entrepreneurs was pitching a product that had pretty good sales numbers and were looking to expand. The sharks asked about their marketing campaign, and it turned out that their sole marketing campaign was an agreement with Snooki to tweet out positive comments and pictures about various parts of their product line. The comment around it was that it was a hugely successful campaign that didn’t cost a ton. So, that stuff goes on. And sometimes it works. Unbelievable, I know.

July 15, 2015 at 11:53 AM

“How awesome would it be if Nick is brought out on stage with Shawn on ATFR and Chris introduces him as Shawn’s Eskimo brother Nick? Would we see Shawn’s head explode?”

Awesome email! Hilarious! Too bad it was on Page 5. Most times I wouldn’t have even got that far.

7. vessel

July 15, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Yeah Steve can be pretty scathing in his replies. You never know what you’re going to get. Usually he’s been pretty nice with my questions, once I even got a “good question” response. But this season he totally ridiculed me for something I asked a couple months ago. Yikes.

8. braveo900

July 15, 2015 at 1:09 PM

The information in one of the emails about Nick’s ring was interesting. But as usual, Steve’s response is immature. Constant negativity and sarcasm gets old really quickly.

9. jessicat

July 15, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Even if he pronounced it “ont” and it sounded like “mom”, that’s fine. But how would it sound like “step mom”?

10. jessicat

July 15, 2015 at 1:23 PM

I agree about Steve being a jerk to people in his responses. He’s so arrogant for a single, middle-aged guy whose life revolves around a reality show. You think he’d be a little more humble, especially since he makes lots of mistakes.

July 15, 2015 at 1:31 PM

To me, the email section is too long. Instead of answering repetitive, borderline foolish questions with snarky answers, and questions answered “I have no idea”, how about not publishing them to start with? And publishing the same question more than once in the same post, Why? I know he doesn’t publish every email, so why publish repeats? It’s all very strange.

12. Sunnyside422

July 15, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Will never tire of Steve’s commentary…good, bad or indifferent. He is totally entertaining even when snarky so nothing he says bothers me.

And when poor sap Nick gets his curly q’d hair dumped, it will be TV gold. I say bring the nudgie back next bachelorette season so Steve and everyone else can rag on him.

Yeh for Ben…his turn at quasi fame. He is very handsome and will be easy to watch. At least he has lips unlike old McDonald!

13. c104

July 15, 2015 at 4:27 PM

@oddsmaker

Steve reads EVERY comment. He lives for it. He makes a living off our comments. I agree with you. He’s pretty rude to his readers.

Hi Steve!

14. Athena

July 16, 2015 at 8:26 AM

I’m glad that the various pronunciations of “Aunt” don’t drive me crazy. I’ve got plenty of other things that are steering me in that direction :-)

Steve seems certain, and I have no reason to doubt him, that Shawn and Kaitlyn are still together, but honestly, Editing aside, and I always have to add that proviso, I wonder how they’ve managed to last this long; I don’t see problem-solving and communication as skills that either of them have a lot of skills in utilizing.

15. wavecatchingmom

July 16, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Athena: Both K and S are deeply insecure people, so they are actually well matched there, they will be sucked in by tumultuous relationships because they mistake passion for love. It will flame out (like Andi and Josh)… but until then… we have Peter Brady…

16. kmannone723

July 16, 2015 at 10:41 AM

@ Add one more response to Ben H. as Bachelor poll: I agree with you I’m kinda indifferent Josh is old news to me, Ben H. meh might be interesting might not be, Jared just needs to get over not being with Kaitlyn; however Nick might be interesting to see since he is so hated he’s guaranteed drama or perhaps do another 2 bachelor with Nick and Ben H. or if they really wanted to spice it up do Chris B and Nick and have the girls decide who is the lesser of 2 evils.

17. laurac

July 16, 2015 at 10:49 AM

@jessicat I don’t think he heard the word “stepmom.” He thought he heard mom and since Shawn had said just before that that his mom couldn’t make it, he made an assumption. Shawn wouldn’t have said his mom wasn’t here then introduced his “mom” lol

18. nora j

July 16, 2015 at 9:38 PM

I sometimes say ONT…or aunty like onty.

to the person who says they see Nick making out and going home with girls…well do you really know he went home and had sex with them.

Also Nick isn’t some virgin who only has sex with his fiance…i’m sure for him there’s sex and then there’s sex with someone who you’re in love with and who you think is in love with you too so maybe that’s what he meant by fiance type stuff…he referred to it as “making love” right.

anyway I didn’t see Josh’s tweets….that would explain the look on Andi’s face and why she considered it a low blow…but it’s her fault anyway…she voluntarily slept with Nick while claiming it was Josh from the beginning. It happened. She’s on a reality
    TV show dating several men. Can’t blame Nick for revealing the truth and questioning her actions.
    Josh and Andi both had trust isssues….remember that whole thing with the lie detector test.Josh must’ve lied about something cuz he didn’t want the results to come out.

19. missannmcd

July 17, 2015 at 3:31 PM

rawrkaz: You are correct about the right pronunciation of “aunt”. Phonetically speaking, the first two letters “au” say “aw” as in awful and n”au”ghty. Aw and au sound alike. I taught phonics for many many years to English as second language students. The majority who pronounce it as “ant” are incorrect so kudos to you dearie :)