The Bachelorette 11 - Kaitlyn/Britt

Your “Men Tell All” Recap w/ Lots of News & Notes on Britt & Brady, Michelle & Cody, & “Bachelor in Paradise 2” Adds an After-Show

If any of you were following me on Twitter and Instagram over the weekend you know it was quite the time I had Saturday morning at the Rio craps tables. I love playing craps. Play it every time I go to Vegas, it’s really the only game I play besides blackjack, and over the years, I’ve had some good runs on the table. Have had a few good rolls myself and have been a part of a few hot rollers that made me some money. But never in my life have I ever experienced what I did this past Saturday. Some guy at the craps table rolled for a good 90 minutes without crapping out. He hit about ten points, rolled 11 hard ways, and was making everyone at the table a boatload of money. I’m not going to get into how much I won (those close to me know), but you know it’s a good day when the pit boss has to come over to you and start getting your information so you can fill out a 1099 form and get taxes taken out of my winnings. It was ridiculous. I’m willing to bet I’ll never experience that ever again at a craps table, but man, that might’ve been one of the top 3 moments in my life. I was literally jumping up and down and screaming at the top of my lungs at the table. Not to mention hugging a bunch of strangers. Good times. Long live the “fire bet.” Google it if you want to know more.

Your RHOC recap by Nell Kalter is now up so go check that out. Which is a perfect segue into this:

Anytime is a good time to open a bottle of Skinnygirl® Cocktails! Watch this quick video to learn more about how you can be rewarded just for being a loyal fan. If you sign up to be a Skinnygirl® Cocktails Tastemaker, you’ll get the chance to win cool prizes and access to exclusive events, recipes and opportunities to appear on Skinnygirl® Cocktails’ social channels! #SoGood

Even when I was away for the weekend, we had “Bachelor” news pop up. As I was about to fly out on Friday, Britt and Brady gave an interview to People.com where they admitted they’ve been broken up for a couple months. Gee, where did I hear that before? Definitely an example of how you absolutely CANNOT judge these contestants relationships by what you see on social media. When I told you three weeks ago that Britt and Brady were broken up, fans of them wanted proof, they could’ve believe it because those two had just favorited one another’s tweet or liked an Instagram pic etc. It. Means. Nothing. They were broken up before the show even started airing. If that doesn’t make you realize how much of a “fake lead” social media can be, I don’t know what will.

The other breaking news from Friday was the announcement that there will be a live one hour after-show on Monday night’s after BIP airs, that will be hosted by Chris Harrison, and co-hosted by Jenny Mollen, better known as Jason Biggs wife (and if you’re really curious as to how she got this gig) and really good friends with Elan. So for those keeping track, BIP 2 is getting a TON of coverage this season. One hour episode every Sunday night, two hour episode on Monday nights, followed by a one hour live after-show. Ridiculous. Talk about overkill. It certainly doesn’t need that much, nor will I write a recap for each. Starting that week, there will just be a Tuesday recap covering everything from Sunday and Monday’s episode, with “Reader Emails” Wednesday, “Dr. Reality Steve” Thursday and the chat Thursday nights.

Another couple I’ve been asked a lot about lately has been Michelle and Cody, since neither of them have posted anything on social media since July 8th. Which is odd for those two since both are huge on Twitter and Instagram and post daily. So if we’re almost at two weeks of them posting nothing, they must be off filming a show. And they are. Problem is, I’m not sure which show it is. All I know is they’re definitely filming one of those relationship/therapy shows. But “Couples Therapy” on VH1 I’m pretty sure already filmed it’s next season which begins in September, and “Celebrity Marriage Boot Camp” that Sean and Catherine were on already filmed and we know the couples on that show. So unless one of those shows films back-to-back seasons, it must be a show I’ve either never heard of, or a new one starting up. But yeah, that’s what Michelle and Cody are up to and I expect them back on the social media grid sometime later this week.

Also, remember the “Bachelor” taping last week at “Good Morning America?” Found out that it’s a segment that’ll run on the morning of the finale the 27th, and it was a 5-on-4 contest pitting the “singles vs married” in a trivia game that Chris Harrison hosted. It was “Singles” Andi, Chris Soules, Clare, and Ali vs “Married” Lacey, Des & Chris, and Sean & Catherine. And it wasn’t even “Bachelor” trivia. It was like “love” trivia. So pretty lame if you ask me, but look for that next Monday morning on GMA.

Ratings are in from last night, and I’m actually surprised how well the show did. Basically did the exact same numbers as last week drawing 6.9 million viewers with a 1.9 rating. Only surprising because the “Tell All” show really doesn’t have much substance to it. I expect the finale to draw between 7.5-8 million viewers, with the ATFR drawing a bit more. For comparison, Andi’s finale drew 7.5 million (1.9 rating) with the ATFR drawing 7.9 million (2.1 rating). I think Kaitlyn’s beats that.

Chris Harrison and Kaitlyn’s blogs are up. His weekly TVGuide.com interview was him just rehashing what we saw last night. In his Yahoo blog, the best part about it was him calling Kaitlyn on her cackle laugh. Good stuff. As for Kaitlyn, her People.com blog broke down what she thought of most of the guys and how they came across on the show last night.

One of the only “Bachelor” recaps I read is Grantland.com’s “Right Reasons” podcast every Friday with Jacoby and Juliet. If you missed it, here was this past week’s:

In the first couple minutes, they have some scoop regarding the filming of this season that a lot of you have asked about. According to them, they talked to an ABC exec friend of theirs who told them overnights and final rose ceremony was supposed to take place in Patagonia in South America, but that due to Kaitlyn’s sex with Nick, she threw a monkey wrench into things and they changed it on the fly. I’ve come to find out that is partially right. Patagonia is where they were supposed to travel to for the end of the season, but plans didn’t change because Kaitlyn had sex with Nick. That’s preposterous. Then again, I wouldn’t expect an ABC exec to admit the actual truth, so I can see why he went with the “Oh yeah, Kaitlyn changed the whole thing for us.” Wrong. The trade they had worked out with Patagonia fell through and that’s why they had to adjust on the fly and stay in Ireland an extra week, then do the final rose ceremony at the mansion. Don’t think for a second it had to do with any Kaitlyn sex. It didn’t. Which also makes Chris Harrison’s BS of, “Well, we decided Kaitlyn needed some more intimate time with you guys, so we’re gonna go from 6 to 3 and go directly into overnights” even that much more of a lie. It didn’t go from 6 to 3 because of how relationships were progressing. It happened because for whatever reason, their trade with Patagonia fell through and they had to adjust on the fly. So there you go. And no, like Jacoby I didn’t have the faintest idea where the hell Patagonia was before I heard that. If you wou’ve told me it was a country off the coast of Eastern Europe I would’ve believed you.

And for this week’s poll question, this is the topic on page 4 today, so let me know what you think:

1. punk

July 21, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Steve, totally agree with you on the “hater” label. Gets used way too often, and typically as a smokescreen so you don’t have to answer for the stupid things you do or say.

Are there real haters out there? Absolutely. Just because some criticizes your dumb behavior does not make them a hater. I can say Kaitlyn was stupid to sleep with Nick so quickly, and not hate her. I can say she was dumb to constantly reassure Shawn as his emotional ego, and not hate her. Because I don’t hate her. I just question her impulse control and judgment.

I can also say she was sort of a crap Bach’ette, having seen teh show multiple times and judging her against the other contestants, and not hate her. She was less likeable to me because I had zero buy-in with her relationships with any other guy this year. None.

And at the end of the day, this show is still trying to sell fantasy, and I just do not buy Kaitlyn’s at all. She never gave me a chance to based upon how her season went down. Way too mush needless drama on her end, and not enough foundation for a relationship. I bought in to Farmer and Whitney way more, and we see how that went.

July 21, 2015 at 11:18 AM

For those that go to the comments first, you can ignore most of pages 3 and 4. RS just goes on a rant, ostensibly about the hate & cyber-bullying Kaitlyn is receiving. But then it all comes around to the “cyber-bullying” that RS receives. Don’t waste your time reading it. It’s just stupid. Not that cyber-bullying is right, but reading a two page self serving rant is just pointless.

I go back to my standard. Though nobody “deserves” the hate they receive, the fact is that they WILL get hate if they go on these shows…. even if they are really lucky and get a positive edit. There will always be haters. Don’t like it? Stay off. Ever watch YouTube? Almost all the comments are negative. So, if you can’t post a benign video on YouTube without getting haters, how do you think you’re going to survive The Bachelor or writing a blog about The Bachelor without a ton of hate?

Really, this concept is not complicated. That’s the point of Kimmel’s bit, Mean Tweets. If you’re a celebrity, even a D-List Reality show celebrity (or a blogger writing slop about D-List Reality show celebrities), you can’t avoid the cyber-hate, so you might as well laugh at it. Honestly RS is so overly sensitive to criticism. So, I imagine as the number of hits grows on his website, the hate grows exponentially. Hey RS, there are two choices. Shut the site down & go back to being a phone slap for Jim Rome or just deal with it.

3. kmannone723

July 21, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Tough to answer that poll question because I personally hated when I heard the tweets but it needed to be said so people can stop doing because it’s not affecting her that much if anything it is probably affecting the guys and her family which is really sad.

4. samkwa

July 21, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Of course Kailtyn will retweet and encourage it. She got paid to do the show, and she’s going to reap the monetary benefits of SM as well. Who knows how many more followers she got after last night.

She’s not the first, nor last reality star to receive hate. Rolling my eyes at ABC pretending to care about cyber-bullying. And also at people who bought it and are shocked. What kind of bubble do they live in where they haven’t come across hate of that level on the internet? This is just the narrative they wanted to tell regarding Kaitlyn’s season.

Ben H. auditioned way too hard. I found his limo exit to be on par with Becca’s.

Funny how Kaitlyn pretended to not understand his question. Apparently trust was really important to Shawn, so she told him about Nick sex (and not Ben). Never mind that trust is fundamentally important to all. At least Tanner was thinking clearly enough to see the problem with that. Ben is just nodding like a good boy.

Maybe it’s because they’re young, but some of these guys seem to have fallen under Kaitlyn’s charm like the geeky guy in high school who is befriended by the popular chick.

5. kmannone723

July 21, 2015 at 12:48 PM

Maybe Ben was just being mature about the nick sex thing because he acted very mature and like it didn’t bother him though I wonder if it was an act or is he really that mature about it because if it was me I would want to know especially going into fantasy suite week not hometowns that she’s had sex with someone else before that point considering Ben had his fantasy suite 2nd so technically she slept with Nick twice before Ben once.

6. V1Man

July 21, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Of course Ben is going to be mature about the Nick/Kaitlyn hookup. He’s going to be in a position himself to do the very same thing in the next few weeks. Of course at least some of the women are going to be open to having sex with him.

RS, I disagree with you about the cyber bullying. I think it is worse this year than I’ve seen in the past, but you are correct that it is just a fact of social media today. Cowards hiding behind screen names are pathetic people — if they can even be called people. And, there are a number of respected psychologists who say that “retweet” is a method of confronting the bullies, which is, apparently, the professional’s preferred course of action.

7. jessicat

July 21, 2015 at 2:09 PM

rob22: Thanks for the heads up. I rarely read Steve’s recaps anymore because I find him to be so obnoxiously arrogant. I just come here for any spoilers he might have and the comments.

If anyone wants to read hilarious recaps, check out:

There are also a few others that I can recommend.

8. nesai

July 21, 2015 at 3:10 PM

@rob22 thanks. Only read the first page. I agree with everything you said.

Regarding the cyber bullying on twitter. I notice some people say hateful things to celebrities just to get on Jimmy Kimmel mean tweets. They even say it on their twitter page they are just doing it to get airtime. Believe it or not the shows like it. Even though they say they are against bullying or whatever. The only reason the show is popular is when people are talking. Even if its hate bashing. This gets people to talk and post whatever comment they want on social media. It’s a ratings ploy. They know we’re going to have something to talk about after that.

July 21, 2015 at 3:15 PM

I also want to better define “hate”. People who comment on Kaitlyn, or anyone else’s, decisions, beliefs, etc. that they freely put out on national TV, or otherwise, are entitled to their opinion. You can say, for example, “Kaitlyn’s decision to sleep with Nick was immature and selfish”. That’s not hate. Calling her names…. slut, loser, or whatever, or calling her a skinny, ugly, $!?#! is hate. Those that chase fame should expect some of each. Disagree with the someone’s opinion, if you must, but don’t call it hate.

Agree with nesai that, like it or not, if you’re getting lots of hate, they’re paying attention. Celebs may not like it, but they largely tolerate it because there is a plus side to the negative attention. Usually measured in dollars.

10. oddsmaker

July 21, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Agreed with other posters, the spoilers and comments section are what keep me coming back to this site. @rob22, couldn’t agree more with your first post.

ABC wasn’t really trying to make a PSA about cyerbullying. The whole narrative for Kaityln has been how she’s fairly open with her sexuality. We’ve been hearing for weeks about how she’s being “slut shamed”, so they just continued with that storyline.

11. soccertory

July 21, 2015 at 4:25 PM

I think its ironic that Steve would basically be telling Kaitlyn to suck it up, and yet on the finale when he does his 2 page rant about being right and suck it to the people who doubted him, thats okay? He even reposts their emails. So I’m not sure why he gets to be on his high horse.

That is my least favorite part of his blog. Its incredibly annoying.

12. whattamorondude

July 21, 2015 at 5:20 PM

Thank you @punk and @robb22 for pointing out the ridiculous and repetitive rant Steve went on for, oh I don’t know, the last 4 or 5’paragraphs.

This whole cyber-bullying thing is such an overused buzzword term. Yes it’s easy to sit behind a keyboard and criticize (hello Steve you hypocrite), but if you are participating in something for public consumption, it’s going to happen.

How many of us drive by or come across people everyday that we say to ourselves – “what a moron” or something to that effect. So if everyone does that, why is it bullying to make a comment on a public forum?

When you react by responding,retweeting or blocking someone, you appear as someone who cares too much and is putting a lot of weight into a strangers words. Kaitlin acted controversial and now she’s getting controversial feedback.

She is coming off as thin skinned and immature. Kinda like RS.

13. whattamorondude

July 21, 2015 at 5:27 PM

I follow Kaitlyn on Twitter and I find her retweets as attempts to out or shame someone as really silly. Every time she does it, I think, girl c’mon….grow up and ignore. Doesn’t she know the best response of all? It’s called, no response.

14. vessel

July 21, 2015 at 6:17 PM

@jessicat I agree about Jen Frase’s recaps, never miss it, she’s too funny. Two other ones I love just as much are ihategreenbeans.com and possesionista.com. I tried posting the links here but they got removed.

I think all three recaps are funnier than Steve’s, but I’m always loyal to his site so I’ll always read here as well.

15. vessel

July 21, 2015 at 6:24 PM

@whattamorondude, thinking to ourselves someone is a moron and posting directly to them that they should “crawl in a hole and die, you f*cking slut” are two extremely different things. If you wouldn’t say something to a person’s face because you know it is malicious and rude then it also is equally not okay to post it anonymously to them on social media.

And Steve isn’t hiding behind a keyboard with an anonymous screen name. We all know who he is, so if/when he Tweets something to Kaitlyn he isn’t, for example, @sprfreek692, or something where no one knows who it is.

16. brick

July 21, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Kaitlyn’s retweets are, yet again, really high school in her effort to get people to side with her against those she doesn’t like. She wants others to go after those who don’t love and adore her in the many ways she seems to feel she deserves. The reason Chris read out those tweets I’m guessing is because Kaitlyn brought them to him & probably to others at the show and no doubt talks about the tweets she gets incessantly, I’m sure more than other bachelorettes have in the past even if they were all aware they weren’t universally loved and worshipped by everyone. Her behaviour is obsessive and extreme and there’s never any middle ground. But she is who she is. She probably loved high school cliques and the dysfunctional high school environment so it’s no wonder she hasn’t found her footing in the real world of adults yet (as in no real job, etc).

I’m surprised no one has commented on the camera scenes of her digging her finger in her nose and smelling her stinky feet… and how as always, she thinks of herself as uproariously funny and laughs loudest at her own childish and vulgar behaviour. At the beginning of her season I described Kaitlyn as the belching, farting bachelorette who laughs at her own crudeness and assumes others find her as funny as she finds herself. I left out nose picking bachelorette. Unfortunately what has been seen cannot be unseen. That behaviour was gross and everyone would be calling her out on that if Kaitlyn was a guy. Yes, there’s nothing wrong with calling some behaviours disgusting which clearly are. There’s ample evidence she’s the most juvenile bachelorette in the history of this show and yet there are enough immature, vulgar males close to her age to probably compliment her in a weird way. Sex is the least of her problems as far as I’m concerned.

Do I hate her? No, but I don’t like her behaviour and I find what she does to be somewhat offensive and nauseatingly attention seeking. Various bachelorettes in the past had their irritating moments but next to Kaitlyn I find myself missing them all. She must have exhausted her parents and siblings growing up, with how desperately and constantly she seeks to be the centre of attention at every possible opportunity and how almost manic she is. I can’t help but wonder what a psychologist would say because something about her is a bit off kilter. If it’s medication she needs, then by all means I wish she’d get it.

17. adrie

July 21, 2015 at 8:13 PM

@punk totally agree. Agree with most comments above. For whatever reason I have found this season really difficult to watch, almost agitating at times. I enjoy the show for escapism but I’ve found myself “watching” an episode and reading blogs/message boards at the same time to make it through. It seems more heavily edited/over-produced than normal or at least it seems more obvious that it makes it frustrating to watch. For example at MTA the Clint+JJ airtime was dubbed over with laughs and innuendo but it was obvious and annoying. You could tell Clint was thinking “the less I give them the less they can edit, will this hurry up and end already?” As for the Kaitlyn tweet reading… I don’t buy it. I’m not saying there hasn’t been awful things written about her all over the Internet but how does anyone know they weren’t made up last night? It wasn’t necessary to read them, at this point it would’ve been better to ignore and move on but I feel like reading them aloud adds to Kaitlyns “sex edit” for the season. I don’t believe ABC gives two sh!ts about making a point against cyber bullying, this was all for ratings and in a weird way, to generate empathy for Kaitlyn.

18. litfort04

July 21, 2015 at 8:53 PM

Does anyone else feel that in no other seasons have we had 5who have admittedly fallen in love with the lead. May be 6 considering Chris Cupcake. But definitely the top 2, the two Bens and Jared.. All seem truly in love with Kaitlyn (ok, may be not Nick)….. It’s amazing!!! I loved watching Ben H and Jared so protective of her. I love these two guys and Cupcake…

19. mirage

July 21, 2015 at 8:59 PM

The first thing I thought when I saw Chris Harrison reading those hate e-mails was “Wow – isn’t this a clever move on ABC’s part. Get Chris to read these e-mails so that the guys who were remaining on the show when the Nick sex happened (which they didn’t find out about until way after the fact, when the episode aired) wont be able to confront Kaitlyn about it once they get their chance to at the Men Tell All!”

I guess they figured she’d been through enough at that point without having guys who would never make it to the end pile on. Although I’m sure several of the guys would have loved to have a chance to pose their own questions about it to her, and wouldn’t that have been entertaining!

Ben was the only brave soul who got in there to ask. And I like how she made it sound like Shawn was the only one who deserved to know, since he needed the most reassurance. More like, hey Shawn is my final pick and I cant have this dude leaving, so eff what any of the other guys think of this later, because it wont matter to me by then. Oh, and did I mention I got to test drive Nick a couple of times before buying the Prius? lol

20. jest002

July 21, 2015 at 9:15 PM

Meh, it’s easy to confuse lust for love in those conditions, especially with Kaitlyn making nearly all the guys feel “special.” Ben Z didn’t even see it coming. Yea, cause she made out with him before sending him home. lol

July 22, 2015 at 9:39 AM

I do think ABC is playing both sides on this (of course). They decided to go with the slut edit and probably encouraged the private time with Nick. I know, it probably didn’t take much prodding. They took the narrative where it could naturally go given that it was Kaitlyn. ABC had to know that it would create controversy. So, it’s pretty self serving to then go back and say “hey, why all the hate?”.

They knew it was coming. In fact, they threw a naive Bachelorette under the bus to get what they wanted. Now, they’re on her side? I think not. Amazingly Kaitlyn still doesn’t get it & is defiant on the topic. She did seem to realize, on one level, that what she did jeopardized her desired relationship with Shawn. Yeah, sleeping with other people tends do do that. But yet she doesn’t understand why people are coming down on her for it…. and, in fact, is simultaneously “standing behind” her decisions. You can’t have it both ways. You either made a mistake, or you didn’t.

It’s fuzzy logic to feel guilty and feel like you made a mistake and yet stand by your decisions because you had to “see what’s out there”. Kind of a logical disconnect in Kaitlyn’s fuzzy thinking brain.

22. purplerayne

July 22, 2015 at 11:36 AM

The hate Kailtyn is receiving is on par with previous leads, but there is a special added type of crazy. I think ABC like some celebs (Ashley Judd comes to mind) are finally taking a stand against it. Now, I dont know if ABC was behind the segment or the producers themselves, so I’ll refrain from assuming their true intentions. What I will say is that just because its happening, doesnt make it right…nor does it mean normal people have to ignore it. Im all for shaming these lunatics. The ones who have done it to Kailtyn either quickly erase the tweet or apologize. Its not normal behaviour and shouldnt be treated as such. I wish they had displayed the name of that mother who emailed Kaitlyn that nasty message. I recall a baseball player taking action against the men who were harassing his daughter. Their names were made public and I believe they lost their jobs. Good. (ie they were threatening a 17 yr old with rape) .

23. purplerayne

July 22, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Also, Steve……you dont know where Patagonia is??? Really? Considering its also the name of a popular outdoor clothing & gear company you can at least rule out Eastern Europe lol

24. cjscjs711

July 22, 2015 at 5:50 PM

@Rob22: Did Steve change his post? Out of curiousity, I read the whole thing and I agree with most of what he said and I got the impression that he doesn’t publish the meanest emails to himself but that he takes it as coming with the territory, wihch I think is a healthy and true attitude.

It would be nice if shaming the haters accomplished a goal of repentance and apology but – really? People who do this do it for attention and to get a rise and reaction from the person. It’s always been this way. And giving them attention and speaking to the bullies directly by answering them as Kaitlyn has been doing only gives them what they want. Is it what she wants? Being able to say she’s gotten death threats certainly causes ordinary people to perk up their ears. Aren’t there better ways?

25. deekay

July 24, 2015 at 11:26 PM

I was disappointed that you didn’t call out Ian on his insistence that ‘this is not the kind of guy I am”.
    YES Ian this IS the kind of guy you are! I’ve never met a humble man who has to declare tot he world several times that “I’m a humble man”…….