Bachelor in Paradise 2

“Bachelor in Paradise 2” Episode 1 Recap Incl the Hypocritical Stance of “After Paradise”

The answer is “no,” we don’t need 4 hours of this show every week. How absurd is that? Especially when they dedicate less than 5 minutes to each actual “date” the couples go on down in Mexico. Funny since they promote this as a show all about second chances and finding love. Kind of ironic that they barely show any of it. Look, I prefer “Bachelor Pad” over this atrocity every day of the week and twice on Sundays, but the show has already made it clear “Bachelor Pad” wasn’t “who they are.” Their show isn’t about money and challenges, it’s about love so to speak, and that’s why they moved away from “Bachelor Pad.” Well that and the fact that after what Nick Peterson pulled off in the last “Bachelor Pad,” there really wasn’t any sort of shocking ending they could ever have to that show. He basically pulled off the ultimate blindside that could only be matched in the future, and not topped. So I’m guessing that had to be part of the reason as well that they killed the idea. Where could they go from there? So lets all applaud Nick Peterson for pulling off what people didn’t think could be done, and essentially destroying the concept of a network television show all at the same time. Yay Nick.

Just in case you haven’t seen them or can’t find them, here are your “Bachelor in Paradise” episode-by-episode spoilers for this season that have been up for over a month. No worries about these being wrong. They’re not.

The ratings on “Bachelor in Paradise” are a little hard to compare to last season’s just because it’s on two nights a week instead of one. And Sunday night has more competition. Last season’s premiere drew 5 million viewers and a 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demo. That was for a Monday night premiere on August 4th, 2014. This season you almost have to break down into 3 different ratings: Sunday night’s 2 hr show, Monday’s 1 hr show, and Monday’s 1 hr “After Paradise,” because all three are bringing in different ratings. So lets look at them:

The Sunday night premiere drew 3.5 million viewers with a 1.1 rating, which is well off last season’s Monday premiere. But then you look at last night’s numbers, and it was pretty similar. Last night drew 4.7 million viewers with a 1.3 rating for the 1 hr. show. Now the after-show “After Paradise,” essentially lost almost half that audience drawing 3.1 million viewers and a .8 rating. Yeah, so we could probably do without that show. It’s nothing but fluff anyway.

However, I would like to point out something that happened last night which I find completely hypocritical about the show. During the MTA, Chris Harrison wanted to make a point to basically do a PSA about cyber bullying by posting all those hateful tweets towards Kaitlyn she received during the season. Yes, Kaitlyn took a ton of heat and yes, people hiding behind a computer bullying her are despicable human beings. But don’t you love how they were all high and mighty in that episode shouting down bullying, yet when their co-host Jenny Mollen says last night that Jillian has a penis, they just laugh it off as funny. So it’s not ok for cyber bullies to call Kaitlyn a whore online, but it is ok for your co-host to insinuate on national television that Jillian has a penis? Didn’t see any uproar from Chris regarding that last night, did we? Of course not. Other than being best friends with Elan, no one really knows why Jenny Mollen is co-hosting the show. After watching last night, there really isn’t a point to have her on. Chris can host it just fine, he can bring out contestants, they can do polls and show deleted scenes, and then cross promote with some other ABC show. Very hypocritical stance they took last night in regards to Jenny. I expect nothing less from these people.

If I were to tell you to name any former “Bachelorette” contestant that you thought might possibly be on a birthday dinner date with a famous Oscar Award winning actress, would you have guessed in a million guesses Kasey Stewart & Hilary Swank? Neither would I. I have no idea what these two’s relationship is and this was the first I’ve heard of it. But talk about random. Geez.

Chris Harrison is back with your Yahoo blog about “Bachelor in Paradise.” Nothing new here other than to hint towards Lauren’s big “secret” next week. You know, the secret that was spoiled here a month ago. Also, Chris and some of the cast talk about the season in this TVGuide.com interview.

Your RHOC recap from Nell Kalter is now up for your enjoyment. When is this one over? Like, in 2015 or do these shows just continue on forever and ever. And when does the “Vanderpump Rules” show start back up?

Get your “Reader Emails” and “Dr. Reality Steve” questions in this week as this will continue on Wednesday and Thursday respectively throughout the airing of “Bachelor in Paradise.” And guess what? Next week Olivia and Nicholas are visiting so a good chance one or both might be appearing on the live video chat. Speaking of Olivia, since she’s obsessed with everything Paris, I’m meeting her and my sister in Vegas this weekend for her first Eiffel Tower experience. Doing the tour and having brunch there so needless to say, she’s excited. It’s closest thing she’ll get to the real Paris for a while, but I don’t think she cares. Her Paris obsession rivals Nicholas’ hockey obsession, so anything Paris she will be totally into. And yeah, you didn’t need to twist my arm to get me out to Vegas this weekend. That was a no-brainer.

After seeing what “After Paradise” had to offer, it’s only fitting that it becomes this week’s poll question. Tell me your thoughts:

1. jessicat

August 4, 2015 at 10:36 AM

What’s up with Steve getting the date of Tenley’s break up wrong? June 2016? Then the next sentence about Kiptyn’s girlfriend doesn’t make much sense – is he missing a few words?

2. srg5097

August 4, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Steve, the comment about Carly’s eyebrows LMAO!! Spot on! I thought I was the only one who thought they looked out of place and unnaturally shaped. You are hilarious!!

3. caffeinequeen

August 4, 2015 at 12:02 PM

What is the deal with Ashley I? She would benefit from some professional help and some time to reflect on why she can’t seem to keep a guy interested.
    Her crippling insecurity wears me out, and I imagine the guys she dates feel the same way. She would also benefit from developing some other interests so she has something more substantive to contribute to a conversation than her love of Disney princesses and which fast food restaurant’s chicken nuggets are superior.

4. valadega

August 4, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Well it now seems obvious Tenley wasted five years of her life on Kiptyn. He has already became a father with a woman he knew for less than a year? When is the pending marriage announcement coming since he has fathered a child with this woman? Is this guy allergic to ‘putting a ring on it’ or what?

5. soccertory

August 4, 2015 at 12:32 PM

I loved the obvious edit in Tanner’s intro package where they threw Jade’s name in the list of people he was anxious to see. The voice inflection was way off. Gotta sell that love story!

And Carly- “I didn’t know we could bring a sibling.” Oh sorry but even if you could the rest of your family are attending your brother’s wedding.

BIP- the ultimate crap TV. It’s like roadkill and I just can’t look away. Let’s do a poll next on how many more times Ashley will cry!

6. punk

August 4, 2015 at 3:34 PM

So the whole Marcus/Lacy wedding was a fake? Nice BiP. You are a total piece of human feces and treat your viewers like crap.

Time to tap out on Fleiss. Dude has zero respect for his audience.

7. angelfish

August 4, 2015 at 3:54 PM

The wedding was real. That’s just a ceremony. The marriage simply isn’t legal yet.

But I imagine they money they got paid is very real. And good thing, because a brand new Coast Guard Ensign usually makes less than 40K per year. Not a lot for a young couple these days just starting out. They’ll need that cash.

8. punk

August 4, 2015 at 4:33 PM

How can the wedding be real if it isn’t legal? They aren’t married, it was all fake, and they actually plan on having a real wedding later. It was TV nonsense.

Like said, Fleiss has zero respect for his viewers, or else they’d have doe it legal. It was phony reality TV nonsense.

The guy pooped on his own show. We should call him Triumph.

9. angelfish

August 4, 2015 at 5:18 PM

A wedding is just a wedding. There’s no legal standing to a wedding. It’s just a gathering of people to celebrate the SYMBOLIC joining. That’s why people can hold pet weddings.

A marriage license, duly executed and filed is the only thing that has to be legal. There doesn’t have to be a wedding ceremony for a marriage to be legal. And that’s completely separate from a wedding ceremony. Anybody can stand in front of 2 people, say some words and “pronounce” them whatever. That doesn’t make it legal.

Gay couples have never been confused about the difference.

A wedding happened, but a marriage didn’t. So ABC paid 2 single people to stand up there & pretend to get married.

10. whattamorondude

August 4, 2015 at 5:39 PM

I’m not sure what the point of ripping on this show is all about. Unlike Bach and Bach’ette, ABC seems to clearly be in on the joke with BIP. I’m not sure why Steve is taking this joke of a show as something to riff on. They get it. We get it. It’s all in good fun.

I think this show is brilliantly entertaining. I think Ashley and her sister are tv gold. Even the After show was mildly entertaining (minus Jenny Mollen’s mean spirited comment).

I think I actually enjoyed it more than Bach.

11. pthepro49

August 4, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Looks like Ashley I got her boobs done too. Big difference from the time between BIP and the After show last night. She must have made between $10k-$15k from BIP. Looks like she put her $$$ to good use. Anyone else notice that?

12. justforfun

August 5, 2015 at 12:55 AM

I don’t think Ashley I had a boob job. She was just wearing a structured dress that pushed them up. I have to wonder if she is really that insecure, or if it’s just an act. Her constant crying does give her more on screen time. Don’t know, and don’t really care, most of the cast is fake.

Carly’s eyebrows seem to have gotten worse, just when you think that could never happen. Dang!

The comment about Jillian having a penis was rude.

13. emrose6207

August 7, 2015 at 8:56 AM

The After Paradise show truly bothers me. They are trying to copy Talking Dead and even used a couple of Chris Hardwick’s lines. The difference is that TD discusses The Walking Dead, a show about survival and how far you’d go to protect yourself and your family while trying to retain your humanity. There’s a lot of symbolism and subtleties that need to be discussed in order to be fully understood. And, I admit, need the quick reminder that it’s only a TV show when a character dies or something major happens. It’s like therapy after watching the show. On the other hand, Bachelor in Paradise is a freaking dating “reality” show. What’s to discuss/analyze besides why Ashley cries so much? If they were going to TRULY go behind the scenes in an Unreal kind of way, it would be interesting, but that would expose how fake the show actually is. Having said that, yeah, I watched it, and will probably continue to watch it. There’s nothing else on that interests me.

14. flightgirl

August 11, 2015 at 3:29 AM

Jenny Mollen is pretty funny, but not on this show. I was surprised when she came out. I thought it would be someone like Melissa Rycroft.