Bachelor in Paradise 2

“Bachelor in Paradise 2” Episode 4 Recap, Incl Jade’s Oopsie, & Ben as the “Bachelor”

You know what’s funny? Considering I grew up in Southern California and in the Pacific time zone, I always thought it was weird how the East Coast would get to watch stuff first, and live events (incl Monday Night Football) started at 9pm. That was so crazy to me. This weekend I’ve been in CA because tonight is the night 8 months in waiting as I’m taking my niece to the Taylor Swift concert at Staples Center. I’m sure I’ll be Periscoping plenty tonight from the limo ride up, to the concert itself, so be on the lookout for that. But with that, I haven’t been able to live tweet the show the last two nights because I’m watching it well after the Eastern and Central time zones have. Figure it’s kinda pointless since I’m not seeing it as it happens. I haven’t lived in CA since 2006, and social media wasn’t around back then. So it wasn’t such a big deal to watch this show on the Pacific time zone. Or any show for that matter since nothing would get spoiled. Like, I don’t know how you west coasters do it anymore. Must suck having everything spoiled before you see it. If I ever made the move back out here, I would no doubt need to get the east coast ABC affiliate on my DirecTV. I cannot watch this show on west coast. I feel like I wasn’t invited to the big party when that happens. First world problems, I know.

So if you saw my Twitter feed on Saturday, you saw me reference the fact that it was possible a misdirection was coming in regards to the “Bachelor,” but that no matter what, it was still Ben like I told you over a month ago. That’s because I’d heard Nick was gonna be in LA this weekend. But not for “Bachelor” stuff. He’s now modeling for Wilhelmina and he has meetings. But of course Nick wasn’t gonna let an opportunity pass him up to let people know he’d be in LA, knowing that the “Bachelor” announcement was coming last night. So yeah, I figured he was gonna let people know he was there, and sure enough he did. As for him agreeing to be part of that facade last night, I have no idea when that came together, but are any of you the least bit surprised he agreed to that? Even though I wasn’t watching it live, before you ask, no I wasn’t worried he was the “Bachelor.” There’s a reason I told you it was Ben over a month ago. Because it was always going to be him. Nick was never a serious candidate. But when the show gets outed a month in advance, of course they’re gonna have a little fun with their audience, and Nick was their pawn. So you bring him out for a 2 minute interview to try and “fool” the spoiler? What was the point of that if you knew it wasn’t him and Ben was there? It literally makes no sense because even if you didn’t know the spoiler, having people fooled for 2 minutes into thinking it was Nick accomplishes…what exactly? So dumb.

Funny thing happened to Jade Sunday night, and it just furthered my theory that basically all these contestants will eventually spoil their own season at one point. Andi did it, Nick did it, Kaitlyn did it, and now Jade had a little oopsie on Sunday night when she Periscoped after the show. I’ll let an email I got right after it happened explain it to you:

Never ceases to amaze me. Lets see who’ll be the ding dong during Ben’s season who spoils it once they’re back from filming.

With Nick Peterson coming on the show this week, some Johnny Come Lately fans don’t really have a clue who he is or what he did. Well, then you need to watch this. Watching this again was brilliant. I forgot how great this moment was in “Bachelor” history:

So for all those that don’t like “Bachelor in Paradise” and would rather them go back to “Bachelor Pad,” that’s pretty much your reason why they won’t. How can you possibly ever top that ending? It can’t be done unless you change the rules. Nick pulling out the “Keep” and watching the crowd go wild, all while half the contestants on stage couldn’t believe it was an awesome moment for this franchise. Awesome. Lets face it, Nick destroyed “Bachelor Pad” all by himself. And it was glorious.

The ratings are in, and this show continues to grow every week. Sunday night’s ratings saw 4.2 million people with a 1.3 rating, both up from last week. And for the 4th week in a row, Monday’s numbers have gone up as well as last night drew a season high 5.5 million viewers, and a 1.8 rating, up from 1.5 last week. If you wanna compare both “Bachelor in Paradise” seasons, this one is doing way better. Complain, whine, piss, moan, and bitch about it all you want – people are watching.

Just wanted to give a shout out to Sharleen’s Monday blog for Flare Magazine. She hit the nail on the head with all her Juelia stuff. Her blog for today isn’t up yet, so I’ll just retweet it once it’s posted.

Nell Kalter’s RHOC recap is now up for your viewing pleasure. Did I see that some husband from this franchise got busted by the Ashley Madison scandal? Wow. Real shocker. I know it wasn’t an OC husband, but still. I’m sure those are coming.

Little problem with the poll question. Writing today’s column on my new computer, I totally forgot to remind myself about the site where I create the questions, so I have to go digging for that info. Since this column is already late as it is, I’ll post the poll question here in a couple hours once I run some errands to get ready for tonight, so check back later if you want to vote.

1. hurricaneemily

August 25, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Hey, Steve.

Thanks for posting that clip of Nick winning Bachelor Pad. I couldn’t remember who he was for the life of me but now I remember. That was one of the most epic moments in this franchise’s history.

Also, thanks for the link to Sharleen’s post. I never seem to be able to find her.

I’m still stuck in L.A. on west coast time and I’m trying to blog about the show. It’s killing me not to have access to the east coast satellite feed.

Here’s my recap for week 4 episode 2 which includes a link to my recap for episode 1 and my review of UnREAL which I binge watched over the weekend.

2. Caroll

August 25, 2015 at 2:07 PM

Really enjoy watching UnREAL. Looking forward to Season Two. Great casting! Interested to see Chet who has lost FIFTY POUNDS between Seasons One and Two. Craig Bierko and Constance Zimmerman appeared on episodes of Boston Legal. Interesting to see them in those roles. Like them better though in UnREAL!

August 25, 2015 at 2:22 PM

How many people are now blogging this show? I don’t think this many people blog about the Dallas Cowboys. Well, I guess Emily’s just one more I won’t be reading. I don’t even have time to go all the way through RS’s expansive blog.

The best part about the BP clip was a completely silent Chris Butt-kowski. (Is that dude on some version of the show every single year?) I guess if you rake all the cash you can finally shut up that douche.

4. mizliz

August 25, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Just two things from the Aftershow. The Nick thing was stupid. I hate seeing him on TV in general, so… And two. Did you see the huge hug in the last moments of the Aftershow? How about Dan and Juelia try dating? I think they’d be cute together!

5. samkwa

August 25, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Sorry to anyone who may be offended, but I dislike the way Juelia’s name is spelled, and I hope we’re done with this storyline. Such the victim.

6. kimmyfromdablock

August 25, 2015 at 6:48 PM

I did not buy Joe’s schtick for a minute last night. He was a robot reading from an internal script. He’s a sociopath.

I almost pooped myself thinking Nick was going to be Bach. Seeing that smarmy mug on my tv every week would’ve been a tough burden to carry.

Juelia (yes the spelling is tiresome and stupid) has held onto her victim card for way too long and is looking more and more like a pathetic pawn. Have some pride girl.

7. wanker

August 25, 2015 at 7:28 PM

Steve, I thoroughly enjoy your site, and always take your opinions with a grain of salt, it’s too bad, some people can’t.

In regards to last night’s show.
    I record the show every week to watch the next day, and I am on the West coast, and the only show that I get the live East coast feed for, are eviction nights of Big Brother, otherwise, I’m used to the “not live” situation, although, I HATE it, and wish it were otherwise.

Anyway, since I do record the show, I had to rewind it twice when Nick was on, (I multitask) I thought it was soooo stupid of them to think that we ARE stupid enough to fall for that 2 min. interview…I was actually talking to my TV, saying out loud, which I NEVER do, how stupid it was…and then was laughing…

So, keep up the good job Steve.
    I look forward to another season of spoiling…
    (and yes, I’m the wanker, of a year, or so ago) …:)

8. justforfun

August 25, 2015 at 11:01 PM

To be fair, Juelia did not choose the spelling of her name. I do find her to be very annoying though.

Joe is wound too tight. He seems ke the kind of guy that can be nice, and sweet, until something doesn’t go his way. Then his as*hole side comes out. He looked very tense & uptight on the after show.

Overall I am finding BIP to be bor4ing

9. elizabeth82

August 25, 2015 at 11:31 PM

@justforfun: How do we know? :p AshLee changed her given name to that idiotic spelling.

10. rl1991

August 26, 2015 at 5:52 AM

Who gives a f@$k how people spell their names. You people are bigger losers than the people on this show.

11. adrie

August 26, 2015 at 7:00 AM

Hahahahhahaha thank you for linking that Bachelor Pad video – I forgot how epic that season was and how explosive that finale was! You can see everyone’s faces start to drop when they realise he ain’t sharing the money. Gold.

12. cjscjs711

August 26, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Spellings of names – the Juelia spelling annoys me, too, because seeing it spelling like that makes me try to pronounce it in some weird way in my mind as I read it.

But seriously, once you’re over 18 you can legally change your own name. You don’t have to be stuck with it. Odd spellings like that create more problems generally than they solve. There are exceptions, though. I have a friend who has the same first name as her mother, and while they lived together as adults, it became a nuisance with mail because they couldn’t tell whose mail was whose to open, so my friend changed the spelling to – not something so odd as Juelia – but to solve the problem.

It’s something to give serious thought to when naming a child. These weird-spelled names may be cool to the parents: “It says she’s individual!” “Unique!” but they’ll present constant misspellings and corrections for the child to deal with growing up. Enough of that comes naturally, with common names!

13. braveo900

August 27, 2015 at 1:01 AM

Wow, you guys, you must have a really difficult time if you ever visit a multicultural city. I can only imagine you haven’t if you’re that hung up on name spellings. Constant mispronunciations only happen because of people who don’t take the time to learn something they think is “too foreign” or “weird.”

14. flightgirl

August 27, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Rewatching that Bachelor Bad ending was great. When I first saw it I hated him, but this time rewatching it and listening to what he says, I loved him! He was the underdog who came out on top.

Anyways, Juelia is annoying because she also misled guys on the show. Basically you have to partner up to stay in the game whether you like someone or not. It is the only way to get the opportunity to meet someone more compatible on this show. But they could also meet anyone outside of the show if that was their actual objective. So I don’t feel sorry for Juelia at all. I think Joe treated Jonathon worse and crushed him.