Bachelor in Paradise 2

“Bachelor in Paradise” Episode 5 Recap Incl Bukowski’s Apology & Vote on Who You Believe The Most: Joe, Samantha, or Juelia?

Man, you talk about getting the short end of the stick. Last we spoke, I had told you about my time at the Taylor Swift concert last Tuesday night at Staples Center. Great concert, I enjoyed it, Olivia sure as hell loved it, and I’d recommend it to anyone whose kids loves TSwift. As we know, Taylor always brings out special guests during her concert. Unfortunately of the five dates she had at Staples Center, I’d say we got the least impressive group of special guests. On nights I wasn’t there, she brought out Kobe, Matt LeBlanc, Chris Rock, Ellen DeGeneres, and others. My night we got her performing with Beck and St. Vincent, and then later a duet with John Legend. Meh. Whatever. On her last concert in LA, she brought out Justin Timberlake and Selena Gomez. So yeah, compared to what we got, needless to say we were disappointed after the fact. Hell, even this past Saturday in San Diego she brought out the dude that sings the “Cheerleader” song, then Avril Lavigne. I would’ve taken Avril over John Legend, but that’s just me because I have a penchant for teenie bopper music. She’s here in Dallas for one night Oct. 17th at AT&T Stadium. Staples only held 15,000 when I was there. I can only imagine what a concert at the Death Star would look like. Don’t tempt me.

Did you see where Chris Harrison said in a recent TVGuide.com interview that “After Paradise” is working and he basically sees this experiment moving over to the “Bachelor” franchise? I can see them doing it because just look at the decent sized audience “After Paradise” is getting on a summer show. It would get more during the “Bachelor.” I’m just confused on when they would do it. I know “Castle” has been picked up for another season, and that usually runs right after the “Bachelor” in January. So when would they have time to fit in an hour “After Paradise” show? I’m not sure, but expect this show to continue during the “Bachelor” and “Bachelorette” seasons.

One of the big appearances on the “After Paradise” last night was Bukowski’s “retirement” from the franchise. Obviously it was a prepared speech that he was reading off the teleprompter, but later last night, he took to Twitter to post a more in depth look at why he’s retiring and the toll this show took on him. Props to him for admitting this show made him chase fame and completely changed him. Nothing I haven’t been telling you people for years. Chris is the first one to own up to it and for that I give him props. Now, if only others would (cough…Nick…cough). This is another case of whether or not you believe someone, but I don’t think he made all that up. And yes, plenty of these people decide to go back on to change a perception people had of them, or get a better edit, and that’s probably the OPPOSITE of what they should be doing. I hope Chris stands by this and doesn’t change his mind. At least he was honest.

Ratings are in from Sunday night, and the showed jumped a little in overall viewership. Today’s ratings aren’t out yet because they’re delayed, but if you check back here in about an hour, I’ll have it up. UPDATE: Monday ratings are in and they’re down slightly from last week. Overall viewers for the first hour episode were down 300k from the previous week to 5.2 million, and the rating went from a 1.8 to 1.5. As for “After Paradise,” also down a notch as they drew 3.8 million compared to 4 million last week, and the rating went from a 1.3 to a 1.0 last night. Which only proves one thing: America loves Joe Bailey.

Check out Sharleen’s blog from Sunday night’s episode where she gives it to Dan pretty good for his approach towards Samantha. I’ll retweet her blog today once it’s posted.

Nell Kalter has your RHOC recap up now, so give her some love. Not only for the recap, but school started up yesterday so she’s back teaching. Moment of silence for all teachers starting their new year.

So now we’ve seen both Joe and Samantha on “After Paradise” own up to some of the things they’ve done. We’ve also seen Juelia on there giving her thoughts on everything. My thoughts on Samantha last night are in the last paragraph on Page 4 today to check that out, but I saw this article written on Juelia yesterday where, again, she still is talking about the situation. So today’s poll question is really simple. You’ve heard all their arguments, stories, confession, etc. Who do you believe the most between those three? We know they’ve all lied and fibbed to a certain extent, but through all that, who do you believe now the most when they recall what happened?

Poll Question:

1. caffeinequeen

September 1, 2015 at 12:10 PM

I hope to God that Mackenzie isn’t as dumb as she comes across. I want to know which U.S. state’s education system graduated her from high school. Unbelievable.

The urine on jellyfish stings is a myth. It can actually make the stinger release more venom, promote infection, and doesn’t even relieve the pain. Sea water or vinegar are the recommended treatments, should you ever find yourself in that situation. :-)

As for Chris B, I kind of feel bad for the guy. What is the deal with having these people sit on the couch at the After Paradise show and listen to poll results about how little they’ll be missed, or whether they are a meathead or beef heart, etc.? It’s uncomfortable to watch.

2. vessel

September 1, 2015 at 1:34 PM

It’s funny and a little ironic that the same episode of Friends that produced that long assed double sided letter also gave us the pee on the jelly fish sting moment.

3. deedee99

September 1, 2015 at 1:44 PM

So Chris B is finished?
    Why then does he end his letter with “I have more to tell at another time”…and “Blakely, on the other hand, is a different story…for another time”.
    Is he writing a tell-all, which would put him back in the limelight?

4. hurricaneemily

September 1, 2015 at 3:42 PM

Hey, Steve.

Thanks for posting Bukowski’s in depth rant. I look forward to reading it. Also, totally agree with Sharleen about Dan’s approach to Samantha. Talked about it on my recap as well.

Here’s my recap for week 5 episode 2 for Bachelor in Paradise: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-in-paradise-week-5-2/

5. cjscjs711

September 1, 2015 at 5:02 PM

From the poll results on which couple was most likely to stay together, it was clear that at least half the voters don’t real Steve’s spoilers, thinking it would be Carly and Kirk.

Like Samantha said when she came on in the beginning, she intended this time to not be the unknown. Sounds like what she was doing with the pre-filming phone calls and fliratations was setting up a lineup of guys who would be fighting over her from which she probably anticipated a GOOD storyline would develop. For different reasons (not very attractive in his own words) Joe wanted one person who would be there for him so he wouldn’t be left out.

I wish they’d questioned Juelia differently. Who convinced her that Joe was interested in her from the beginning as she said? How? I’ve never witnessed a more ambiguous or lukewarm ‘asking for a date’ than Joe’s, “Anyone want to go horseback riding?” JMO

6. kimmyfromdablock

September 1, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Steve,

Thanks for reminding us that you told us about Chris Bukowski. You never miss a beat my friend.

7. flightgirl

September 1, 2015 at 8:37 PM

cjscjs— I don’t think anyone needed to convince Juelia. She jumped right in and volunteered to go on the date with him, misread his intentions, gave him the benefit of the doubt, and had rosey glasses on all throughout. She wanted a “relationship” with him so bad she couldn’t see the glaring obvious truth. She seemed to forget what show she was on.

She was hypocritical because she led Jonathon on and dumped him when Joe arrived. She acted pathetically imo by falling for Joe after one date. But then again it happens over and over again because of the way the show is set up. The alcohol also clouds everyone’s judgement.

Good column Steve. Carly was snotty about Samantha but I figured the producers were just asking her questions.

8. cjscjs711

September 1, 2015 at 8:40 PM

Steve I really appreciate it that you ferret out all these articles for us to read. Do not have the time myself!

What Bukowski said about his mindset and what he’s gone through reminded me of people who have a gambling addiction. They keep thinking next hand, next roll of the dice, they’re going to beat the House – and it does not pan out.

I was hoping Ashley S. Would be able to beat them from giving her a crazy edit. But no. Secondhand stories and ‘crazy’ innuendo….. Jade looks like she’s rehabbed herself. I really like the “After Paradise” because it’s live. Really live, and not six hours of assets edited down to an hour. You get to see better what these people are like. Often appearing sober, not sloshed even.

9. soccertory

September 1, 2015 at 9:28 PM

The things that really stood out to me this episode were Ashley once again claiming she is with Jared. That is awkward. Reminds me of a high school girl who just believes he’s saying he’s not interested for the chase. Also, throwing your virginity out for a guy who obviously isn’t interested just to keep him around for a few more days, yikes.

I thought it was funny that right after Joe threatens Sam with the text messages, she gets back together with him. Then dumps him when he can’t get back at her and show them to the group. You can’t tell me she didn’t think that through.

And lastly Jaclyn. I can’t not stare at her curved nose beak. Its so distracting that I almost miss her trash talking. Perhaps her nasty personality just enhances her nose.

10. wavecatchingmom

September 1, 2015 at 9:39 PM

I can’t believe no recapper has commented on Ashley eyelashes ITM where she says nothing on her is fake, except botox and eyelashes. Wait what??? 25 years old and botox? WTF? Her parents obviously suck for her to have such a low self image that she botoxes herself at 25. WOW. just wow. And Jaclyn’s face paralysis… I don’t believe we’ve ever seen this level of fakeness and weirdness. And no one has taken Jared to task for not fully putting Ashley out of her misery. Was very disappointed in his flat responses.

11. thedoctor

September 1, 2015 at 11:16 PM

As mentioned, OMG, I hope Jaclyn got a huge settlement from her plastic surgeon, her face is really messed up.

Looks like ABC wants to play it both ways.

12. thedoctor

September 1, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Looks like ABC wants to play it both ways .

September 2, 2015 at 7:08 AM

I really don’t know what to say. This is a train wreck and not in a good way. Everything is obviously so producer driven. Even the whole setup with Juelia and other cast members confronting Joe, it was just so contrived. And I never got why others cared or got involved. Producer manipulation, I assume. I just can’t imagine a normal dude getting upset that some guy went on a date with a girl, then dumped her because something better came along, no matter the reason. Yeah, I can see the girls sitting around bashing the guy, but other guys? Normal guys just don’t do that. Either Dan is one weird dude or this was just all producer manufactured. I’m hoping the latter for Dan’s sake. The guy came across as a real weenie, especially when he then decides to move in on Samantha with a rant about Joe. What a loser. I never get why these people go on TV to embarrass themselves so badly.

I did like Sharleen’s comment on Butt-kowski. I guess she met him & liked him, but said she didn’t know why he decided to drink away his latest appearance. That says it all. Dude gets a 5TH chance at it and decides to spend the day getting hammered? WTF? That’s a total Night 1 Bachelorette rookie mistake. He KNEW this would all be played back on TV & he’d get killed for it. And he did it anyway. He has some serious problems & needs some professional help. I’ve gone from being disgusted with the guy to pitying him. This is what Reality TV does to people.

I looked up the cast members to see if there was any other person who approached Butt-kowski’s record. I couldn’t find anyone who was on four times. But of the 3 time contestants, one was Gia Allemande (very sad situation). The others included Erica Rose (RS’s fave), Clare (who keeps getting the kook edit), Mikey (muscle head), Michael Stagliano (a nicer version of Butt-kowski), Kovac (was the original Butt-kowski), Nick (epic on BP, clearly a loser), and of course Michelle Money. Do any of these people even have a shred of credibility left? This show strips people of pretty much any dignity. The only good choice, in regards to this show, it to not play. It’s like Tic-Tac-Toe. You really can’t win if you’re playing anyone besides a 5 year old.

14. LynnS

September 2, 2015 at 9:12 AM

I couldn’t believe how fat Jaclyn’s face was. And it looked even bigger on the After show. Is that bad plastic surgery or several syringes of fillers?

Between her face and lips, I can’t believe she thought she looked good – or even just okay. That, along with her nose, made her look really bad.

I wouldn’t have said anything if she had a better personality. But she comes across very bitchy and conceited.

15. anonime

September 2, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Jaclyn never looked good. But compare 3 yrs. ago to now YIKES!!!! And whatever she did makes her look much older than 30.
    When a guy would rather go out with ASHLEY I. than you, well, that’s all folks.

16. gailrachel

September 6, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Kudos for that Friends video. I don’t know how you remembered that scene but it was SPOT ON Steve!!!!!