The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 1 Recap with Tons of News & Notes, & Media Coverage for the Site

BenGroup
Photo Credit: ABC

Welcome back to the new and improved RealitySteve.com everyone. For those that took the last 3 ½ months off since “Bachelor in Paradise” ended, you’ll notice a new look. We are still tinkering with things here and there, so bear with us if you see maybe for a day or two going back to the old look. We’re trying to optimize the site as best as we can. For the new layout thought, the four pictures you see above will remain there all season, and immediately bring you to the latest column in that section. “Bachelor Ben Spoilers” are pretty self explanatory – they are your episode-by-episode spoilers that have been up since Nov. 24th. Click on that picture and it’s the first post you see. “Bachelor Ben Recaps” will be the latest Tuesday column that recaps Monday’s show. “Reader Emails” will be your latest “Reader Email” column that runs on Wednesdays, and “Live Video Chats” will be from Thursday’s nights chat that resume this week. “Dr. Reality Steve” will still be on the site every Thursday morning, but to see all previous columns, you just have to click the link in the navigation bar. We’re still working on some small things, but your archives of past shows are all up under “TV Shows” at the top, as well as I added a “Press” link which has any past columns written about/mentioning me dating back to 2010. And if you’ve followed me on Twitter during the last week, you know I’ve been bombarding you with articles.

I appreciate it any time any news outlet wants to interview me for the site, so obviously I welcomed it, but to have that piece run in the NY Times last week online and in this past Sunday’s paper was probably the biggest brand to ever cover the site. I teased it back in September, because that’s when I did the interview over dinner. It was supposed to be kind of like “The Anatomy of a Spoiler” and they were going to have a timeline in the piece of when I received spoilers versus when I actually posted them, but that idea got scrapped. He ended up using a couple of the things that he knew, like the person in Vegas I sent to Aria to get pictures of Becca’s date since I knew ahead of time, and when I received information on the ending, so that was some interesting insight. But four more pieces came out yesterday, so if you don’t follow me on Twitter or don’t feel like looking back, here are all the links:

For the ‘Bachelor,’ He’s the Thorn in Their Tray Of Roses – New York Times (Dec. 30th, 2015)

Meet Reality Steve, the Man Who Spoils the ‘Bachelor,’ and the Best Journalist Who Isn’t One – Jezebel (Jan. 4th, 2016)

Reality Steve is Not Spoiling Anything with His Spoilers – New York Magazine (Jan. 4th, 2016)

How and Why Reality Steve Spoils the ‘Bachelor’ – Reality Blurred (Jan. 4th, 2016)

Spoiler Alert: This Guy Will Totally Ruin the ‘Bachelor’ – NPR KPCC 89.3 in LA (Jan. 4th, 2016)

‘Bachelor’ Season 20 Spoilers with Reality Steve – AmyVanderoef.com (Jan. 4th, 2016)

Obviously I knew I had done all these interviews spreading out over the course of the last couple weeks, but I didn’t think that all of them were coming out yesterday. As for all the other ones:

-The NY Times piece is definitely the most respected national outlet that’s ever covered my site, but I think the interview with Jezebel is probably the longest, most candid interview I’ve ever done.

-The NY Magazine story is one you have to read, and I’m not just talking about the part on me. It’s a 5 piece breakdown of this whole franchise. Take the time to read the story about how the show originated and all the quotes from Fleiss and Harrison about the early years. Really good insight to everything and to see how far the show has come. And before you ask, no, original producer Jason Carbone is not related to me in any way, shape, or form. Don’t know the guy, never spoken to him in my life, and not related. Conspiracy theorists don’t even bother.

-I read RealityBlurred.com all the time and linked to it numerous times in “Daily Links,” so I’ll always talk to Andy Dehnart if he asks.

-The interview I did on my couch with local Dallas talent Amy Vanderoef, well, Maddie steals the show. Check that out. I’m so pissed I missed question #6. Embarrassing. Completely drew a blank and the second she told me I felt like an idiot.

-And interesting note about the NPR radio interview from yesterday with A Martinez. Me and A go back all the way to my sports radio days on XTRA Sports AM 1150 in LA. We will always have one memory that we bring up when we talk, and that was we co-hosted the 3-7pm drive time show on Thanksgiving Day 2001. We were fill-in guys, and since the big wigs got the holidays off, we didn’t. Safe to say, NO ONE was listening then. Great to see A continuing his radio work in LA and catching up with him yesterday.

A couple columns that ran in December in case you missed them. I did my annual Bachelor Bio breakdown of all the girls the day after their bios were released, and also did a look-a-likes column with some of the girls. I think now after seeing them on the episode, some of my look-a-likes suck. Oh well. They were good at the time only going off ABC headshots.

Nell Kalter has your Vanderpump Rules recap up for your viewing pleasure. Has that Jax guy passed on any of diseases to anyone else this season? Is he still hanging around that chick that Jade knows, Carmen Dickman? Will I ever tune into :30 of this show?

Don’t forget that “Reader Emails,” and “Dr. Reality Steve” return this week for the remainder of the season, so get your emails in today. I’m pretty stunned at the low amount of emails I have right now for tomorrow. Sure, it makes my work easier, but I figured with the start of the new season emails would be coming in by the truckload per usual after the first episode. I’ve got a couple from October and November I’m sure you’ll like, but not many in the last 24 hrs. Get them in today to make tomorrow’s column.

<>b>Ratings are in and the “Bachelor” premiere drew 7.5 million viewers and a 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demo. Pretty much held steady with Chris Soules’ premiere last season that drew 7.7 million viewers and a 2.4 rating. In comparison to the three seasons before that, Juan Pablo drew 8.4 million, Sean 6.9, and Ben Flajnik 7.7. So this is right on par with probably what they expected. The “Bachelor: Live” show almost lost half of the “Bachelor’s” audience, getting 4.2 million and a 1.1 rating. We have nothing to compare it to since this is the first one that’s ever aired after the “Bachelor.” It did better than “After Paradise,” but it should because that’s a summer show, and typically summer shows across the board are down.

I think one of the big things from last night that I got on Twitter and even over text was the attractiveness of this cast. More so than usual, a lot of people really seem to be impressed with this crop of girls. So that’ll be today’s poll question. And I’m talking from girl 1 through 28, is this the best looking cast ever?

Page 1 of 612345...Last »

1. kitt0nmitt0ns

January 5, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Amanda’s voice is on par with Whitney Bishoff’s. Yikes.

2. nora j

January 5, 2016 at 12:10 PM

Amanda is cute though despite the baby voice. When I saw her pic she just looked typical but on TV she’s cute..prob the most attractive overall but I hope she doesn’t look done up like that everyday..looks silly for a mom of 2 little ones. I don’t see how Olivia is top 3. Something is manly and immature about her. JoJo is pretty but nothing stands out yet…she at least seems normal.

Wonder if Lace was just that drunk..or is that her sober personality as well..yikes.

3. hopelesslyromantic

January 5, 2016 at 12:29 PM

So if the twins make it to the Fantasy Suite,
    this will be the first Threesome in Bachelor History!

4. vessel

January 5, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Am I missing something? What is so side-splittingly hilarious about the twins that they need their own show, etc.? Steve has been contending for weeks now that these two are so funny they need to take their show on the road, etc etc etc. I just don’t get it.

5. kdksigns

January 5, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Am I the only one that thinks Ben looks exactly like Peter Brady?

6. vessel

January 5, 2016 at 4:14 PM

@kdksigns Lol no, everyone thinks that. In fact I refuse to call him anything BUT Peter. This is Peter’s season, dammit! I bet the poor guy gets told that minimum once per day.

7. angelfish

January 5, 2016 at 4:42 PM

That was a moderately entertaining premiere. But too many of the ladies had that palpable “where is the camera” attitude, always aware of how they were being filmed. There was a lot of desperation in that room, so the drama should ramp up fairly quickly. Those ladies don’t have time to mess around!

Jubilee is lovely, as is JoJo. I think they are my faves so far. They both have a quiet confidence that doesn’t shriek “Look at Meeeee!”

8. kimmyfromdablock

January 5, 2016 at 4:50 PM

Maybe it’s just the slow pace of the first episode or Ben’s very vanilla personality….but I found this first episode to be quite the snoozefest. The whole concept is getting so predictable, yet I will still watch….just saying it’s lost something for me.

I also don’t understand the appeal of the twins. They’re fairly attractive but nothing else notable.

I don’t see how Becca lasts as long as she does. I find her so aloof and uninteresting.

I thought Mandi the dentist was very attractive in her intro video that Steve posted, but a couple of times during last night’s show, I got a view of an eagle wearing makeup. Anyone else?

I also caught the after show. Watched most of it even though it was quite painful. I love Kaitlyn and Shawn together but I thought they did not look their best last night. Shawn continues to look like a Lorax and Kaitlyn went overboard with the spray tan and had a whole Oompa Loompa vibe happening with her orange face and baggy pants. I’m glad they got rid of the mean spirited co-host from Bach in Paradise. Jenny Mollen…that’s her name. She’s married to that dufus Jason Biggs.

9. ifucsam

January 5, 2016 at 5:50 PM

So, I live in Indianapolis and it couldn’t be more different than Warsaw…but it’s kind of the exception to the rule since it’s the capitol. Makes me glad I live here and not in the country.

10. cjscjs711

January 5, 2016 at 7:11 PM

I could be wrong, because Steve has some strange standards, but I think he was being sarcastic about the twins being funny. Unless he thought they were so cliched that it was funny.

Where’s Rob22 been lately? Someone made a crack at him a bit ago and I haven’t seen him comment since. If he’s that fragile, he’d better not ever go on “The Bachelorette” or BIP…..!

11. ladyjane747

January 5, 2016 at 7:40 PM

“McDill’ed” That’s pretty hilarious. Olivia looks like Cameron Diaz and Amanda looks like Clare Crawley – very pretty, but that voice! She must be too accustomed to talking to little kids all day. I think Jubilee is very attractive. Didn’t care for Becca on Chris’s season; don’t care for her now. Caila is much cuter on the show than her pics. Lauren B (?) seems sweet but I don’t think she’s beautiful. Crazy Lace (what kind of name is that?) sort of looks like crazy Sean Young with big, giant gums. The twins are pretty and not annoying at all (like I expected), and yes, I think Steve’s just being sarcastic about their humor. The redhead that got eliminated looks like Emma Stone. Ben is dull but hopefully the girls will spice things up, and he does look a lot like Peter Brady. By the way the actor who played Peter lived in my dorm at UCLA! LOL

12. adrie

January 6, 2016 at 2:35 AM

He does have a really good looking bunch of girls this season. The name of the brunette with the black and sequin dress he sent home was stunning. I would’ve sent lace home straight after her fit but I am sure producers are keeping her there. Olivia totally looks like a young Cameron Diaz. Becca is still boring no surprise there! Loved the recap RS and I am looking forward to the season ahead!

January 6, 2016 at 8:30 AM

Still here. Someone made a crack at me? Well, that does happen from time to time, but I must have missed it. There hasn’t been much to comment on for the past weeks. I tried to comment yesterday, but I was on my iPad & this new site prevented me from doing so.

As for the show, I’m stumped as to what to say. Peter’s really dull, as expected. They had their standard drunk girl. The girl who won is kind of non-descript. I’m pining for the days when we could openly discuss slut shaming…. and Alf, of course.

14. smurfette22

January 6, 2016 at 8:39 AM

Caila was less annoying than I predicted. I don’t know Mandi got a rose, she’s a little too weird for me. It almost seems like she’s acting weird for the novelty of it. As far as Olivia, maybe it’s because I’ve read the spoilers about how fake she is; but she is already coming off as fake. I don’t like her. And Lace. She just needs to go home. She’s a hot mess. I feel bad for Ben since she lives in Denver too. He’ll have to watch his back.

And Tenley’s “Ode to the Bachelor” is just another way to make herself relevant in my opinion. And to promote her cleanse business. I think I may be the only person that is not a fan of hers. And no, it’s not jealousy. I can promise you that.

15. wavecatchingmom

January 6, 2016 at 10:46 AM

It has become glaringly obvious that the producers are making Ben make certain pics, if you look at how he holds the aforementioned brunette with the black dress, and the look on his face, he was mad that he had to keep Lace. Ben does not have as good a poker face as Sean, JP, and Chris.
    I also don’t get what is so funny about the twins, they are cute but not that funny? And a little too self assured in that 22 year old way when you think you know stuff but you don’t… and haven’t experienced real life yet.
    I also think Amanda’s voice is on par with Whitney Bischoff and hope that she doesn’t get chosen as the bachette. I’m team Caila or JoJo so far.
    Tenley is shamelessly self promoting… end of story.

16. hurricaneemily

January 6, 2016 at 7:25 PM

Hey, Steve.

Looks like you’re getting a lot of good press. Here’s a link to my recap for episode 1. It’s a little late but I’m on the west coast and dealing with chronic illness. Hope you have a great season and all your wildest spoilers come true!

17. duckquack

January 6, 2016 at 7:56 PM

Amanda’s voice is annoying…..but nothing can be as irritating as Trista Sutter’s laugh…dunno how Ryan copes with it all these years.

are these twins the ones that were on Bachelor Paradise?

Becca needs to get laid, then she will not have to run after every Bachelor….and what in the hell was the Farmer doing on the show, except having a few drinks, sly mf.

Jason works out yet he has such bad posture, stop pumping that chest dude, your lower body is scrawny.
    Lace needs to stay otherwise the season will be boring, one good drunk always makes for good TV.

whatever her name is the girl that got the friendship rose is knockout….Benji is to square not sure he will carry the season….Ari the kissing bandit would have made a great bachelor, panties would have been peeling themselves off with just one kiss.

18. canadiank8

January 6, 2016 at 11:08 PM

Hey Steve,

You should incorporate some clips into your recaps! They posted a bunch on http://bachgifs.com

19. closetfan

January 10, 2016 at 10:06 AM

I don’t think the issue is that Ben is legitimately concerned about kissing too many girls, as Steve suggested. He was just using the line about wanting to get to know the women better as an excuse NOT to kiss the ones he wasn’t feeling — in this case, Lace. And who could blame him?