The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Episode 2 Recap Incl A Spreadsheet of Contestants Ages, & Next “Bachelorette” Talk from ABC, Fleiss

BenGroupDate
Photo Credit: ABC

Not that this is any sort of major deal, but as I tweeted out last night, I stand corrected on Mandi’s elimination. I had her going home next week instead of this week. Next week, still the same eliminations just without Mandi. Wanna know a little secret? Every other spoiler is correct this season, but Mandi’s elimination was the only thing I guessed on, and I got it wrong. I had a 50/50 chance. I knew she made it to episode 2 because she won the “Bachelor High” group date, and I knew she didn’t make it to episode 4 in Vegas because she wasn’t on any of the dates. But as I was filling in the puzzle pieces to the season, she was the only one who didn’t have a definitive exit episode. It was either episode 2 or 3. I guessed episode 3 because I didn’t think Ben would send her home in an episode where she actually won a group date challenge. But he did. Dammit. So now I’m gonna be 99% right this season. Sucks. I’m an overachiever. I want 100% plus extra credit. Oh well. Gonna have to settle for a tad less this season.

Ratings are in from last night, and considering it was up against a great national championship game, the numbers expectedly dropped from last week, just not as bad as a drop that Chris had on his second episode last year against the Ohio St/Oregon national championship. Last night drew in 6.85 million viewers with a 1.9 rating. Chris’ second episode last season drew 6.5 million with a 1.7 rating. As for the crap that is “Bachelor Live,” it drew 3.9 million and a 1.0, compared to 4.2 million and a 1.1 last week.

I guess if there’s one thing we actually did learn from the “Bachelor Live” show, it’s that Tanner and Jade are getting married very soon and ABC is going to televise it. They didn’t go into much detail, including a date and when it’ll air, so I guess we’ll have to wait on that. I find it hard to believe they wouldn’t televise a wedding from one of their successful “Bachelorette” couples in Des & Chris, but they’d give Tanner and Jade a 2 hr. special. I don’t know. We don’t know anything yet other than according to Jade, it’s happening very soon. If I hear anything I’ll let you know.

Ben’s blog for People.com is now up where you can read him basically say nothing for 15 paragraphs. I honestly don’t know why I link to these every season. The lead is not gonna give anything away, and since you already know what happens, him writing in the past tense of stuff he already knows the outcome of just seems pointless. But hey, I’ll still link to them every week for anyone who wants to read this dribble.

You know what’s not dribble? Nell Kalter’s Vanderpump Rules recap that appears in this column every Tuesday. I have no idea what Jax and Stassi are up to since I don’t watch the show, but I bet it’s something that involves sex. Or do they not hook up? Hell if I know.

So last week in “Reader Emails,” someone sent this in…
____________________________________________________________

Hey Steve!

Congrats on your NY Times interview!

As I was watching the first episode last night, I realized that about half the girls are around 22 and 23. It seems like as the seasons go on, the girls get younger and younger thus proving that they’re only there to plug their social media accounts. I’m 23 and still feel like I’m too young to go on The Bachelor. I guess I just remember watching earlier seasons with older women.

Comment: Definitely a younger cast this season for sure. Probably because of a younger “Bachelor.” Somebody would really have to spend an awful lot of time to go back and figure out the median age of every season’s contestants. That is not a job I would particularly want to undertake. But if anyone else wants to do it and report back to me with your results, be my guest. Would be kinda interesting to know.
____________________________________________________________

I didn’t think for a second that someone would actually do it. Well, TWO people actually did it and had the answers to me within hours of that post going up. And not only that, it was sent in an Excel spreadsheet with the mean, median, and mode ages for each season. There were probably 3 or 4 others as well that just sent over the last few seasons, which was still a chore in itself. Hell, maybe I’ll just start pawning off some of my research to the readers with this type of quality work I get in return. So here is a breakdown of all 20 “Bachelor” season contestants’ age, and 10 of the 11 seasons of the “Bachelorette.” For some reason, Trista’s cast list isn’t anywhere on the internet.

Average Age of “Bachelor” Contestants

Average Age of “Bachelorette” Contestants

Interesting notes regarding the ages:

-If you exclude Byron’s season (since he was the oldest Bachelor, therefore the average age of his girls was way over the norm), you’ll see that the highest average age for any of the 19 other seasons, was 27.6 (Ben Flajnik’s season), and the lowest average age was 24.6 (Andrew Firestone’s season). Pretty amazing that in those 19 seasons, the age difference doesn’t really vary at all. 3 years?

-Ben Higgins and Jesse Palmer’s season tie for second youngest average age at 25. Byron’s girls averaged 31.7 years of age.

-On the “Bachelorette” side, there’s really not a whole hell of a lot of age differences between the averages of all those seasons. The highest average age was season was Jen Schefft’s and Emily Maynard’s at 29.8. However, the lowest average age for any season was Ali Fedotowsky’s at 28.2.

-Roughly 25 guys every season and to only have a 1.6 margin between the highest and lowest average age range is pretty telling.

So the biggest thing to take away from this study, is that they’ll always cast younger girls on the “Bachelor” and older guys on the “Bachelorette.” Every “Bachelorette” chose someone in the end either her age or older (except Kaitlyn), and every “Bachelor” in 20 seasons chose someone younger than him, playing into basically every stereotype imaginable. Thanks to all of you who took the time to do this for me. They’re definitely fun charts to look at.

With the age thing an interesting peek into how the show casts its contestants, the biggest news in Bachelor Nation this past weekend happened at the TCA’s, when ABC President of Entertainment Paul Lee said he expects the next “Bachelorette” to be diverse, which then ended up making headlines on every entertainment site. Even Mike Fleiss chimed in saying that “in the near future, you will see a non-white lead in the show.” This was the first time we’ve ever heard anything of the such. Well, since last year. Let me refresh your memory as to exactly what Paul Lee said at the 2015 TCA’s.

“One area where Lee admitted that ABC could stand to be more diverse: The reality show the ‘The Bachelor,’ which hasn’t exactly produced a rainbow coalition of contestants. Lee suggested that the show will diversify over coming seasons.

‘You are going to see diversity as we go through that,’ Lee noted. ‘[Current bachelor] Chris the Farmer is not but I’m sure many of the future guys are going to be.'”

Not to mention, in an interview done a little over a year ago, Chris Harrison had this to say to the NY Times. Granted, he was talking about a gay “Bachelor,” but c’mon, we can read between the lines. He was talking about any non-white “Bachelor.”

“Back to Juan Pablo. He made comments deriding homosexuality and saying there should not be a gay Bachelor. What do you think?

The question is: Is it a good business decision? I just spoke at U.S.C. the other night, and I explained it like this: Look, if you’ve been making pizzas for 12 years and you’ve made millions of dollars and everybody loves your pizzas and someone comes and says, ‘Hey, you should make hamburgers.’ Why? I have a great business model, and I don’t know if hamburgers are going to sell.”

So for all those asking now what does this mean, I’ve narrowed it down to mean two things:

1) You believe what they’re saying and the next “Bachelorette” will not be white.
2) They’re saying things they know people want to hear and they have no plans on changing.

My stance is, I’ll believe it when I see it. Now, lets say #1 is right and that the next “Bachelorette” definitely won’t be white, who does that leave us from this season? Well, we’d have Amber, Jami, Jubilee, and Caila. Because of the comments made over the weekend, people seem to be jumping to some sort of conclusion that Jubilee is gonna be the next “Bachelorette” now. Or Amber? Lets not forget people, the “Bachelorette” still has only been chosen from a girl who finished top 4 of her “Bachelor” season. They’ve never deviated away from that in 11 seasons. So if we’re still going off that premise, you can eliminate Amber, Jami, and Jubilee. And not only did none of those girls finish in the top 4, they didn’t even finish in the top 10. There is no way they’re casting someone in the lead who didn’t make it halfway through their season. You can forget them. It’s not happening.

So IF, and that’s a big IF, if they are telling the truth that our next “Bachelorette” will not be a white girl, then it’s going to be Caila, or they’re going outside the franchise for some diversity, and I don’t see them going outside the franchise. But are they telling the truth? I have no idea. I guess we’ll see in a few months. Nothing is set in stone, and they could just be blowing smoke up everyone’s asses which they’ve become experts at, so just keep that in mind. If they aren’t lying, then Caila is who it’ll be. She finishes in 3rd, a prime location where many past “Bachelorettes” have finished, and she fulfills their non-white lead they are hinting at. Before the season, I said based on past history, it was either gonna be Amanda or Caila, and my preference would’ve been Amanda. If it’s Caila, hell, it’ll make for a much easier season to make fun of. Who they cast as the lead is of little importance to me. I’m going to spoil it anyway. So the bottom line is we have no definitive answers right now. We’ll know in March whether or not they were lying when they made their comments this past weekend.

So now I ask you for this week’s poll question: Do you believe them?

1. angelfish

January 12, 2016 at 11:48 AM

So Jade & Tanner have been engaged less time than Kaitlyn and Shawn, yet THEY are getting a televised ABC wedding.

That’s some nice karma right there. And a reward for doing things the right way, rather than the Kaitlyn way.

Big congrats to Jade & Tanner.

2. aslucas

January 12, 2016 at 12:25 PM

I can’t believe Steve didn’t comment on how HUGE Olivia’s mouth looked when she was gaping about wanting / expecting the first 1 on 1. Coupled with her sense of entitlement… not attractive.

3. kmannone723

January 12, 2016 at 1:11 PM

@aslucas he probably didn’t comment because it becomes her undoing in a few more weeks. @angelfish interesting point however even des & chris didn’t get a televised wedding. I noticed for Sean & Catherine they seemed to focus on the sex room more than the ceremony itself so I’m sure Kaitlyn will get a televised ceremony when she finally gets it together. heck if they name Becca as a bachelorlette she’s almost a lock for a televised wedding.

January 12, 2016 at 2:37 PM

I don’t go on the other Bachelor boards, but to me, Becca doesn’t seem like a big deal this time around. Probably the crazies still like her, but I’m backing down off the Becca will be the Bachelorette thought.

It does seem like it’s lining up for Caila a bit better. What better way for the show to slide in a “diverse person” than to get a half white, half Filipino. That would be typical for the show & would allow them to skirt the issue without having an actual African American person or anyone fully “ethnic” be the lead. Especially after the disaster of Juan Pah-Blow, who btw, was a white Hispanic, obviously of Spanish/European decent, not an indigenous person. The show is way too change averse to put in a really diverse person. But a half Asian person, I could see them doing that.

January 12, 2016 at 2:39 PM

BTW: I write about The Bachelorette because there really isn’t anything remotely interesting going on this season. It’s so boilerplate with everyone playing their roles. Is this season just a complete write off snooze fest, or is it just me? I’m already over it. I need something, ANYTHING to keep my interest.

6. hurricaneemily

January 12, 2016 at 4:04 PM

Hey, Steve.

I’m only skimming your recaps because I’m trying to avoid your spoilers. You’re right 99% of the time! I am looking forward to seeing what you got right at the end and being filled in on all the dirt at the end though.

I was happy to hear about Jade and Tanner getting married. I’m almost always able to tell when a couple will get married and when they won’t. I say “almost” because I predicted Shawn and Kaitlyn would not get married and they’re still together though no wedding plans are in the works.

Here’s my recap for episode 2: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-2-recap/

7. justforfun

January 12, 2016 at 4:12 PM

It’s not just you, Rob, it is a snooze fest thanks to boring Ben. He seems to have zero personality.

ABC televising Jade & Tanner’s wedding is a real slap in the face to Des. Makes you wonder why the franchise doesn’t like her. Do people really care about Jade & Tanner? I can’t imagine that their wedding will bring in big ratings. The weddings are always boring anyway. If ABC was smart they would show 10 minutes of the wedding, and then film the reception with everyone getting drunk.

8. valadega

January 12, 2016 at 5:41 PM

ABC probably went all in thinking they were going to have to spend a wad of cash for a big splashy wedding for Andi and Josh and they totally ignored Des & Chris due to their financial bottom line. Then Josh suddenly dumped Andi and the embarrassed ABC probably hates his guts and NEVER EVEN considered Josh for the next Bachelor gig! I have a feeling they won’t EVER make that kind of mistake again!

9. kimmyfromdablock

January 12, 2016 at 6:50 PM

I agree with you @rob22, it really is boring and formulaic, yet I continue to watch. I watch back on my DVR because I can’t stand to watch this thing with the wasted time of commercial breaks. I used to be stealth about ending my fast forwarding just as the show begins, but now I lazily fast forward until something catches my eye to tell me to stop. In other words, I miss a lot and I really don’t care because it’s easy to get the basic gist. I fast forwarded through much of the high school nonsense.

That was such an over analyzation of a simple thought that I believe I’ve become Steve.

10. nicolette

January 12, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Regarding Jade and Tanner’s wedding:
    On Sunday, they both had Instagram posts of them in Crate & Barrel doing their registry. So out of curiosity, I searched for them on the Crate & Barrel registry database and it came up and shows their wedding date as 4/24/16.

11. kmannone723

January 12, 2016 at 7:08 PM

interesting but they could be having 2 ceremonies 1 televised for bachelor nation and 1 private just for family.

12. kmannone723

January 12, 2016 at 7:11 PM

@Rob I agree with you on the snooze fest. I wonder if it’s a trend whenever a Ben is a bachelor it’s snooze fest. Although maybe they picked the wrong Ben I thought Ben W would have been a better choice.

13. hayleyyy

January 12, 2016 at 8:50 PM

Jade linked to their public wedding website in her Instagram. It was a little cheesy, but very much in line with the Janner brand of being all-American sweethearts, etc. The only thing I found really off-putting was that they had a whole section for gifts and their registry, which includes Hatch My House, a donation website where your “gift” goes towards the new home they’re trying to build. Just seems so tacky to publicly ask for people to help pay for your new, undoubtedly expensive home, especially when we know they’ve already made lots of money from their BIP and Bachelor-adjacent events, as well as all their sponsored IG posts, AND their televised wedding. Just think that buying 4-acres and building your dream home should be your sole financial responsibilities, not your fans. Ugh.

14. ladyjane747

January 12, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Got around to watching episode 2 tonight. Olivia’s mouth is off-puttingly HUGE. Why is it always hanging open? She’s sort of like Courtney (winning!) but not as funny. Lauren H. looks like Laura Dern. Lauren B. has a super thin upper lip that disappears when she smiles. Would like to see her and Chris Soules kiss! Sam was too insecure and she had that raspy voice going on. Caila sort of reminds me of the girl who was vying for the Bachelorette with Kaitlyn. Can’t even remember her name now!

15. dakattack

January 13, 2016 at 5:01 AM

It’s “drivel,” not “dribble.”

16. angelfish

January 13, 2016 at 5:56 AM

The rabid fans who thought Kaitlyn would be an “amazing” Bachelorette were proved wrong by the skank factor she brought in. Now the same ones who though Ben would be an “amazing” bachelor are being bored to death. When will people learn to manage those wild expectations?

So Jade & Tanner posted their wedding registry publicly – nice gift grab. Seriously, that’s crass and greedy. Keep that stuff private for your friends & family.

January 13, 2016 at 5:59 AM

The whole issue around the “drama” is that Olivia’s just playing a producer inspired role. It’s so phony looking. And I really do feel sorry for Lace. The poor girl is in way over her head. She’s like the deluded horrible singers that American Idol trots out for mockery. It’s one thing if someone is just a horrible, arrogant, mean human being & steps in a huge pile of it. Then everyone rightly piles on. But to pick damaged humans and trot them out in front of the camera for mockery is just wrong. For that reason, I can’t mock her. It’s unbelievable that they’ve forced Ben to keep her around this long for a continued story line. She should have received a more painless exit after night 1, starring as the drunk girl.

January 13, 2016 at 6:08 AM

@ladyjane: nice visual on Chris Soules and Olivia kissing. Not sure how I’m going to rid myself of that image. It’s horrifying.

So, I watched that Bachelor Live show last night. OMG. They had that stuttering m/f Old MacDonald giving his commentary (painfully given) along with (wow) the Princess of Darkness, Kris Jenner. I told you the Bachelor Apocalypse is upon us. You have a parody show that’s going on it’s second season, a Bachelor blogger with a barely functioning website getting interviewed by seemingly the entire US media, and now, not only has the show employed a stutterer to provide commentary, but simultaneously invited the Great Satan of Reality TV to be part of the show. Stock up on dry goods, dig a cellar and buy an Uzi. The end is near.

19. smurfette22

January 13, 2016 at 7:49 AM

Olivia is a terrible human being. And with her facial expressions/huge mouth, she’s not even pretty anymore.

I feel bad for Lace too. At first, I thought she would be a mean girl. Now I think she’s just an insecure girl who puts up a mean front.

I like Jubilee, but what I don’t like is that she assumed that by telling Ben about her childhood would secure her the date rose. She’s kind of exploiting herself.

Sam reminds me of this manager I once had. I felt bad for her when he called her sour. He could have used a much nicer word. Maybe her perfume isn’t right for her body chemistry.

And I don’t like Jennifer’s eyebrows. I know that’s a petty thing to pick on, but they are super bushy and they are all I look at when I see her.

I respect LB’s exit. Plain and simple.

20. kimmyfromdablock

January 13, 2016 at 10:12 AM

@rob22…..your last post. Thanks for the laugh. So true, all of it.

21. shouldbeworking

January 13, 2016 at 11:40 AM

I wish we could reply to an individual post – like on Facebook. It would save a lot of scrolling down and re-reading posts.
    Anyway, Olivia’s HUGE mouth was so ugly. All I could think of is someone could put their fist right in there! I liked her on Episode 1, but last night the ugly came out.

22. rile9995

January 13, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Steve, I do enjoy your site. But very frustrated with all the adds. I kept getting redirected to advertising sites and would have to log out and back in 5 times. So, I didn’t read your update. Hope you get this changed. So frustrating.

23. aslucas

January 13, 2016 at 3:55 PM

I’m so happy you guys noticed Olivia’s huge mouth, too. It is so distracting.

24. canadiank8

January 13, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Hey Steve, you should include some clips in your recaps! This site has a bunch of them up from the first two episode: http://bachgifs.com

25. canon

January 15, 2016 at 2:49 PM

My guess is that during the after show on Valentine’s day, Chris will marry them on air. It won’t be super fancy or an elaborate dinner for a hundred people, but just a pretty, simple, outdoor wedding, glass of champagne toast, then they will go off camera so the couple can celebrate with their families. That’s my guess. Even if it doesn’t happen on V-Day, it’ll happen on the aftershow after one of the Monday night episodes.

26. canon

January 15, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Caila isn’t exactly what people had in mind for an ethnic bachelor or bachelorette. She’s only half Filipino so not exactly ‘non-white’ as she is half white and her features look it. Doesn’t matter to me either way, just saying it’s kind of a cheap pacifier. How is it any different than the two Canadians we had?

27. serapa

January 19, 2016 at 6:02 AM

That Olivia girl is so mean! Beautiful on the outside and wretched inside. What a vile soul. Even with a bad edit excuse, she’s an awful person! Hope she enjoys her life because karma is a bitch and beauty will fade even with all the fillers and botox she can afford.

28. serapa

January 19, 2016 at 6:10 AM

I don’t think Ben is boring…he just seems like a very nice person and drama sells. Ben is more like Sean…they are just good people who play it safe.

Ben is also very young…he’s a kid really when you compare him to the other leads and he’s handling himself very well. He is acting like he has self respect and respect for women.

Ben, you’re better off being called boring than a Juan Pablo or a playboy. You can walk away with the wonderful experiences and the money and be a better person for it.