The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Episode 2 Recap Incl A Spreadsheet of Contestants Ages, & Next “Bachelorette” Talk from ABC, Fleiss

Photo Credit: ABC

-As Ben and Leah looked like they were done with their conversation and he was walking her back in to the group, Olivia peeks out and asks if she could have him for a minute. Lets just put an end to this right now. These “can I steal him for a minute” segments are not storylines. Olivia is told to do that, as is everyone else. We see this EVERY SINGLE SEASON. This isn’t new. It’s the producers way of generating drama when there’s no drama happening. Of course the girl talking to him when she already has a rose will upset people. That’s why they have them do it – every single season. Not to mention they always do it at least once a season with someone who already has a rose, then a producer will go over to the group of girls sitting around, ask them off camera, “So what do you think about Olivia talking to Ben even though she already has a rose,” then cattiness begins. Wash, rinse, repeat. You can call Olivia out for plenty of reasons I’m sure coming up this season, but for this, it’s a non-story. Same with Lace who, whaddya’ know, is up next after Olivia.

-Lace actually confronts Olivia for going to talk to him with a rose when other girls who didn’t even get dates haven’t spoken to him yet, and Olivia gives the “just because I have a rose, doesn’t mean anything” speech. Well actually it does. Means there’s zero chance of you going home that night so maybe step aside and let others have their chance. But then again, this is producer driven anyway, so it’s tough to say how Olivia really felt. Lace gets her time with Ben and lets him know she “has a bold personality…I’m a lot to handle.” You don’t say, Lace? And all this time you really seemed like a laid back, chill, go with the flow type of girl. Hmmmmm…surprising to hear that coming from you. Then she started rambling on about pictures, her insecurities, and ended it with “I have a part of me that I’m working on…” Yes, we know. The cray cray part. And just as she was about to tell Ben and the world that amazing part of herself she’s working on, she gets interrupted and goes off to cry. Lace is a walking head case at this point. Lets all chip in and give her a hug right now. Struggling.

-Ben has a conversation with Lauren B., another girl who didn’t have a date that week, and presents her with a gift to let her know he was thinking of her this week. It was a picture from when they were sitting on the steps on the first night. Awwww how cute. So nice of you Ben. Because if you hadn’t, she might’ve forgotten that moment from FOUR NIGHTS EARLIER. Since it was a picture of them but wasn’t a selfie, pretty obvious exactly whose idea this was to do this. One hint: Not Ben. There’s a reason Lauren B, Leah, Rachel, and Jami didn’t get dates this week. It’s because Ben knew he wasn’t eliminating them. But, there’s a reason why they focused on Ben making sure Lauren knew he was thinking about her and that’s, well, obvious. Although, he also gave Lauren H. a blue ribbon for making the largest volcano explosion, which was basically the equivalent of high fiving her after sex.

-And finally, what rose ceremony wouldn’t be complete with another producer driven idea of having Ben make something for Amanda’s daughters – and basically make her cry again. He made little barrette’s for Kinsley and Charlie. I think Amanda needs to take to social media and let the world know if the kids even wear them, if she even gave them to her daughters, or if they just like putting it in their mouths. After watching Ben do everything and say everything right to every girl he talks to, it makes you wonder how much he was coached. It’s like they almost knew from the get go that they were gonna run with this “Perfect Ben” storyline all season, so they made him do as much as possible with it. You think Juan Pablo ever stood a chance with these producers? Of course not. They sold him down the river the second America didn’t take to him once the season aired. Not that he didn’t deserve it, but it goes to show how little they care about their contestants. They have zero allegiance to you. None.

-Rose ceremony time. JoJo, Caila, and Olivia are safe. Ben time. “Not expect to be feeling the way I do…continue to overwhelm me…this can work…time to do the part I don’t love…you know…dumping people that I barely know…bear with me while I make it seem tougher than it really is. C’mon people, it’s week 2.”

Amanda: Barrette’s for everyone!
Jubilee: This was definitely the earliest a black contestant has ever been kissed, right?
Lauren B.: Like I said in my NY Times interview. This season was easy.
Leah: Anymore bending over football hikes with her?
Becca: Free throw contest. Me and you. We shoot 100 and I’ll spot you 10.
Rachel: If Rachel walked into my office right now, sat on my lap and straddled me, I wouldn’t have a clue who she was.
Lace: See girls? Crazy can get you far on this show.
LB: Welllllllll, maybe not. She pulls Ben aside and tells him it’s hard to be here and she doesn’t know if she can do it. Translation: This is stupid. I’m going home. So she leaves.
Jennifer: First girl to kiss him this season, so that earns her points. We can thank her for turning Ben into a male slut.
Emily: Can anyone let me know how to tell them apart yet?
Jami: (See Rachel).
Lauren H: She has a very Midwestern accent that I’ve noticed.
Shushanna: It wouldn’t surprise me if she’s part of the KGB.
Haley: Was this the one who said on the group date she wasn’t very smart, or the other one?

“Ladies, Ben, it’s the final rose tonight. When you’re ready. And how about that exciting ‘Bachelor Live’ show coming right up after this, huh? What a riveting 60 minutes of television isn’t it? We ask poll questions that have obvious answers, we take calls that are completely scripted from the people we let on, and we have people who sit on our couch that offer ZERO insight whatsoever. Every Monday in January everyone! Come join this f***ing sh**show!”

Amber: In case you didn’t know, Amber is also on this season everyone. Pretty funny how the show is crowing about more diversity, when 3 of the 4 non-white women this season have basically gotten the least amount of air time. Diversity my ass.

As for next week, more of the same from Olivia. She continues to rub some of the other girls the wrong way, Lauren B. gets her first major screen time with a 1-on-1 date, we get a repeat of Juan Pablo’s season with a group soccer date with special appearances by Alex Morgan and Kelley O’Hara from the USWNT, and Jubilee’s 1-on-1 as well. Then after that, a wasted 60 minutes of television with the “Bachelor Live” show.

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you tomorrow.

1. angelfish

January 12, 2016 at 11:48 AM

So Jade & Tanner have been engaged less time than Kaitlyn and Shawn, yet THEY are getting a televised ABC wedding.

That’s some nice karma right there. And a reward for doing things the right way, rather than the Kaitlyn way.

Big congrats to Jade & Tanner.

2. aslucas

January 12, 2016 at 12:25 PM

I can’t believe Steve didn’t comment on how HUGE Olivia’s mouth looked when she was gaping about wanting / expecting the first 1 on 1. Coupled with her sense of entitlement… not attractive.

3. kmannone723

January 12, 2016 at 1:11 PM

@aslucas he probably didn’t comment because it becomes her undoing in a few more weeks. @angelfish interesting point however even des & chris didn’t get a televised wedding. I noticed for Sean & Catherine they seemed to focus on the sex room more than the ceremony itself so I’m sure Kaitlyn will get a televised ceremony when she finally gets it together. heck if they name Becca as a bachelorlette she’s almost a lock for a televised wedding.

January 12, 2016 at 2:37 PM

I don’t go on the other Bachelor boards, but to me, Becca doesn’t seem like a big deal this time around. Probably the crazies still like her, but I’m backing down off the Becca will be the Bachelorette thought.

It does seem like it’s lining up for Caila a bit better. What better way for the show to slide in a “diverse person” than to get a half white, half Filipino. That would be typical for the show & would allow them to skirt the issue without having an actual African American person or anyone fully “ethnic” be the lead. Especially after the disaster of Juan Pah-Blow, who btw, was a white Hispanic, obviously of Spanish/European decent, not an indigenous person. The show is way too change averse to put in a really diverse person. But a half Asian person, I could see them doing that.

January 12, 2016 at 2:39 PM

BTW: I write about The Bachelorette because there really isn’t anything remotely interesting going on this season. It’s so boilerplate with everyone playing their roles. Is this season just a complete write off snooze fest, or is it just me? I’m already over it. I need something, ANYTHING to keep my interest.

6. hurricaneemily

January 12, 2016 at 4:04 PM

Hey, Steve.

I’m only skimming your recaps because I’m trying to avoid your spoilers. You’re right 99% of the time! I am looking forward to seeing what you got right at the end and being filled in on all the dirt at the end though.

I was happy to hear about Jade and Tanner getting married. I’m almost always able to tell when a couple will get married and when they won’t. I say “almost” because I predicted Shawn and Kaitlyn would not get married and they’re still together though no wedding plans are in the works.

Here’s my recap for episode 2: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-2-recap/

7. justforfun

January 12, 2016 at 4:12 PM

It’s not just you, Rob, it is a snooze fest thanks to boring Ben. He seems to have zero personality.

ABC televising Jade & Tanner’s wedding is a real slap in the face to Des. Makes you wonder why the franchise doesn’t like her. Do people really care about Jade & Tanner? I can’t imagine that their wedding will bring in big ratings. The weddings are always boring anyway. If ABC was smart they would show 10 minutes of the wedding, and then film the reception with everyone getting drunk.

8. valadega

January 12, 2016 at 5:41 PM

ABC probably went all in thinking they were going to have to spend a wad of cash for a big splashy wedding for Andi and Josh and they totally ignored Des & Chris due to their financial bottom line. Then Josh suddenly dumped Andi and the embarrassed ABC probably hates his guts and NEVER EVEN considered Josh for the next Bachelor gig! I have a feeling they won’t EVER make that kind of mistake again!

9. kimmyfromdablock

January 12, 2016 at 6:50 PM

I agree with you @rob22, it really is boring and formulaic, yet I continue to watch. I watch back on my DVR because I can’t stand to watch this thing with the wasted time of commercial breaks. I used to be stealth about ending my fast forwarding just as the show begins, but now I lazily fast forward until something catches my eye to tell me to stop. In other words, I miss a lot and I really don’t care because it’s easy to get the basic gist. I fast forwarded through much of the high school nonsense.

That was such an over analyzation of a simple thought that I believe I’ve become Steve.

10. nicolette

January 12, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Regarding Jade and Tanner’s wedding:
    On Sunday, they both had Instagram posts of them in Crate & Barrel doing their registry. So out of curiosity, I searched for them on the Crate & Barrel registry database and it came up and shows their wedding date as 4/24/16.

11. kmannone723

January 12, 2016 at 7:08 PM

interesting but they could be having 2 ceremonies 1 televised for bachelor nation and 1 private just for family.

12. kmannone723

January 12, 2016 at 7:11 PM

@Rob I agree with you on the snooze fest. I wonder if it’s a trend whenever a Ben is a bachelor it’s snooze fest. Although maybe they picked the wrong Ben I thought Ben W would have been a better choice.

13. hayleyyy

January 12, 2016 at 8:50 PM

Jade linked to their public wedding website in her Instagram. It was a little cheesy, but very much in line with the Janner brand of being all-American sweethearts, etc. The only thing I found really off-putting was that they had a whole section for gifts and their registry, which includes Hatch My House, a donation website where your “gift” goes towards the new home they’re trying to build. Just seems so tacky to publicly ask for people to help pay for your new, undoubtedly expensive home, especially when we know they’ve already made lots of money from their BIP and Bachelor-adjacent events, as well as all their sponsored IG posts, AND their televised wedding. Just think that buying 4-acres and building your dream home should be your sole financial responsibilities, not your fans. Ugh.

14. ladyjane747

January 12, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Got around to watching episode 2 tonight. Olivia’s mouth is off-puttingly HUGE. Why is it always hanging open? She’s sort of like Courtney (winning!) but not as funny. Lauren H. looks like Laura Dern. Lauren B. has a super thin upper lip that disappears when she smiles. Would like to see her and Chris Soules kiss! Sam was too insecure and she had that raspy voice going on. Caila sort of reminds me of the girl who was vying for the Bachelorette with Kaitlyn. Can’t even remember her name now!

15. dakattack

January 13, 2016 at 5:01 AM

It’s “drivel,” not “dribble.”

16. angelfish

January 13, 2016 at 5:56 AM

The rabid fans who thought Kaitlyn would be an “amazing” Bachelorette were proved wrong by the skank factor she brought in. Now the same ones who though Ben would be an “amazing” bachelor are being bored to death. When will people learn to manage those wild expectations?

So Jade & Tanner posted their wedding registry publicly – nice gift grab. Seriously, that’s crass and greedy. Keep that stuff private for your friends & family.

January 13, 2016 at 5:59 AM

The whole issue around the “drama” is that Olivia’s just playing a producer inspired role. It’s so phony looking. And I really do feel sorry for Lace. The poor girl is in way over her head. She’s like the deluded horrible singers that American Idol trots out for mockery. It’s one thing if someone is just a horrible, arrogant, mean human being & steps in a huge pile of it. Then everyone rightly piles on. But to pick damaged humans and trot them out in front of the camera for mockery is just wrong. For that reason, I can’t mock her. It’s unbelievable that they’ve forced Ben to keep her around this long for a continued story line. She should have received a more painless exit after night 1, starring as the drunk girl.

January 13, 2016 at 6:08 AM

@ladyjane: nice visual on Chris Soules and Olivia kissing. Not sure how I’m going to rid myself of that image. It’s horrifying.

So, I watched that Bachelor Live show last night. OMG. They had that stuttering m/f Old MacDonald giving his commentary (painfully given) along with (wow) the Princess of Darkness, Kris Jenner. I told you the Bachelor Apocalypse is upon us. You have a parody show that’s going on it’s second season, a Bachelor blogger with a barely functioning website getting interviewed by seemingly the entire US media, and now, not only has the show employed a stutterer to provide commentary, but simultaneously invited the Great Satan of Reality TV to be part of the show. Stock up on dry goods, dig a cellar and buy an Uzi. The end is near.

19. smurfette22

January 13, 2016 at 7:49 AM

Olivia is a terrible human being. And with her facial expressions/huge mouth, she’s not even pretty anymore.

I feel bad for Lace too. At first, I thought she would be a mean girl. Now I think she’s just an insecure girl who puts up a mean front.

I like Jubilee, but what I don’t like is that she assumed that by telling Ben about her childhood would secure her the date rose. She’s kind of exploiting herself.

Sam reminds me of this manager I once had. I felt bad for her when he called her sour. He could have used a much nicer word. Maybe her perfume isn’t right for her body chemistry.

And I don’t like Jennifer’s eyebrows. I know that’s a petty thing to pick on, but they are super bushy and they are all I look at when I see her.

I respect LB’s exit. Plain and simple.

20. kimmyfromdablock

January 13, 2016 at 10:12 AM

@rob22…..your last post. Thanks for the laugh. So true, all of it.

21. shouldbeworking

January 13, 2016 at 11:40 AM

I wish we could reply to an individual post – like on Facebook. It would save a lot of scrolling down and re-reading posts.
    Anyway, Olivia’s HUGE mouth was so ugly. All I could think of is someone could put their fist right in there! I liked her on Episode 1, but last night the ugly came out.

22. rile9995

January 13, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Steve, I do enjoy your site. But very frustrated with all the adds. I kept getting redirected to advertising sites and would have to log out and back in 5 times. So, I didn’t read your update. Hope you get this changed. So frustrating.

23. aslucas

January 13, 2016 at 3:55 PM

I’m so happy you guys noticed Olivia’s huge mouth, too. It is so distracting.

24. canadiank8

January 13, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Hey Steve, you should include some clips in your recaps! This site has a bunch of them up from the first two episode: http://bachgifs.com

25. canon

January 15, 2016 at 2:49 PM

My guess is that during the after show on Valentine’s day, Chris will marry them on air. It won’t be super fancy or an elaborate dinner for a hundred people, but just a pretty, simple, outdoor wedding, glass of champagne toast, then they will go off camera so the couple can celebrate with their families. That’s my guess. Even if it doesn’t happen on V-Day, it’ll happen on the aftershow after one of the Monday night episodes.

26. canon

January 15, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Caila isn’t exactly what people had in mind for an ethnic bachelor or bachelorette. She’s only half Filipino so not exactly ‘non-white’ as she is half white and her features look it. Doesn’t matter to me either way, just saying it’s kind of a cheap pacifier. How is it any different than the two Canadians we had?

27. serapa

January 19, 2016 at 6:02 AM

That Olivia girl is so mean! Beautiful on the outside and wretched inside. What a vile soul. Even with a bad edit excuse, she’s an awful person! Hope she enjoys her life because karma is a bitch and beauty will fade even with all the fillers and botox she can afford.

28. serapa

January 19, 2016 at 6:10 AM

I don’t think Ben is boring…he just seems like a very nice person and drama sells. Ben is more like Sean…they are just good people who play it safe.

Ben is also very young…he’s a kid really when you compare him to the other leads and he’s handling himself very well. He is acting like he has self respect and respect for women.

Ben, you’re better off being called boring than a Juan Pablo or a playboy. You can walk away with the wonderful experiences and the money and be a better person for it.