The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 3 Recap Incl Tanner & Jade’s Wedding, Editing, & Olivia the Introvert

Bensoccerdate
Photo Credit: ABC

It’s almost like I can write two different columns on this show that would be completely separate from each other. One would just be to recap what we see for two hours every Monday night. Then the other would be to point out all editing and continuity mistakes for a whole episode. Not to mention, the inside stuff I learn about season by season. I try to mix the two as best I can but sometimes, in episodes like last night where there was so much producer prodding and coaching, it comes out in the column. It’s all fun and games anyway and it’s why I don’t take the show seriously for a second, but it’s a fine line to draw when recapping it. I can’t pretend I don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes and what’s happening now in the social media world. So I’m just gonna continue to write about what they show us, but then also fill you in when I can when there’s obvious producer manipulation happening and/or any inside information I can give you regarding the girls and the show. I mean, after three episodes, everything I told you two months is playing out like I said it would. Olivia is going to be the most talked about contestant for the time she’s on, whether warranted or not. She gave them plenty of ammo to work with, so that’s the girl producers decided to have a field day on this season. It’s only gonna get worse.

Some news to report on Tanner and Jade’s wedding. It’s happening this Sunday, and I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be in Dana Point, CA. Don’t have full confirmation, but if it is Dana Point, my guess is it’s at the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel. Would make the most sense since that’s the nicest hotel down there. Plenty of former cast mates will be there: JJ, Jared, Ben Z., Cupcake, Carly, Juelia, and Clare to name a few. Ben Higgins will definitely be there as well. It will be filmed Sunday but not shown until Valentine’s Day on ABC. I’m guessing though paparazzi pictures will end up getting out before then. Especially now that I’m pretty sure I just leaked the location since no one else has. As I mentioned on the live chat Thursday, I am surprised that they’re getting their own show, but mainly because Tanner & Jade haven’t been on our TV at all. The last that their “TV” audience saw them was in September when their engagement in the BIP 2 finale was shown. Of course people follow them on social media, but that’s such a minority of their audience. So from September until the Rose Parade, no one ever saw them on TV or making “Bachelor” TV appearances. At least with past couples like Sean & Catherine, Ashley & JP etc we saw them appear on “Tell All” and “ATFR” shows to update us on their relationship. Outside of their :60 Skype appearance last Monday night, the “Bachelor” audience saw them get engaged in September and now will see their wedding air on Valentine’s Day. Just a bit odd if you ask me, but whatever. I get why they’re doing it because who doesn’t want a free wedding, have friends and relatives all paid to be flown out and put up in a hotel, and make money on top of it. But it’s definitely the quickest engagement-to-wedding this show has ever had. They must really be trying to shove love stories down our throats.

A few more media hits last week in case you weren’t following me on Twitter. Juliet Litman’s “Bachelor Party” podcast that I appeared on after Week 1, had it’s second episode last week, and Juliet’s special guest was Jon Caramanica, the NY Times writer who penned the feature on me a couple weeks ago. The whole interview is very good, and they even talk a little Reality Steve in the beginning. Check it out:

Also did an interview with CBC radio last Friday talking about all things “Bachelor” that you can check out. One tense moment in there, but other than that, I thought it went well.

And of course you know by now I did Jenny McCarthy’s “Dirty Sexy Funny” satellite radio show last Thursday morning. I know it ran on her channel all weekend, but I haven’t been able to get a link to the full interview yet (not sure if I will either), but she did make one clip from it available online that you can listen to:

Ratings are in from last night and numbers are back up from last week and on par with exactly where they were a year ago during Chris’ season. Obviously competing against the national championship game last week dipped the ratings, but yesterday they drew 7.5 million viewers (same as the premiere) and a 2.1 rating. Chris Soules’ third episode last season? 7.5 million and a 2.1 rating. As for the garbage that is “Bachelor: Live,” that didn’t go up from last week. Stayed the same in overall viewers with 3.9 million, but down to a .9 rating from the 1.0 last week.

Chris Harrison’s blog is now up and is he just basically mailing it in this season? Geez. Nice effort Chris. He basically says absolutely nothing in that recap. He used to be way more wordy in these things. And all he’s doing it parroting what we see on TV and offering no insight whatsoever. It’s ok, Chris. That’s what I’m here for. As for Ben’s blog, pretty much what you’d expect. He’s not gonna give anything away and he’s going to be nice to everyone.

Nell Kalter has your Vanderpump Rules recap now up for your viewing pleasure. I have no idea how Nell does it pumping out two recaps a week on those shows, but she’s here every Tuesday and Wednesday w/ her Vpump and RHOBH recaps, so check them out.

I’m sure most of you didn’t see this but it was emailed to me last week. Olivia posted a blog about basically being an introvert. Funny thing is when reading it, it basically described me to a T. I identify with everything that her column says, so I guess you could say Olivia is my spirit animal. Does it excuse her behavior? Of course not. But it gives a little more insight as to probably why she acted the way she did on the show. When you don’t do well in large groups and small talk isn’t your forte, things can basically only go bad for you in the setting of this show. Doesn’t mean she couldn’t have said no when producers obviously prodded her for great soundbites, but you can see why she trusted them so much, and now they’re exploiting her.

But hey, that’s just my opinion. I’ll ask you in today’s poll question:

1. jfonteno

January 19, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Hi Steve,

Just quickly commenting to say I think Leslie from Sean’s season was the most recent black contestant to have a one-on-one date in the franchise. He sent her home after the date.

Cheers!

January 19, 2016 at 10:48 AM

So with Olivia, obviously she said what she said and did what she did. And she chose to be on the show, so she signed up for the ride. But I can relate to her a bit, like RS. Obviously I’d never be on the show, but in thinking about it, I know I could never do it. I don’t do well in crowds either & it’s virtually certain I wouldn’t get along with most guys in the house. I’m sure I could do very well on camera because I know how to be “on” when I need to be. But afterwards I’m just exhausted and don’t want to be around anyone or have to talk to anyone. That would come across as being stand offish, arrogant and rude. Which it’s not, but people wouldn’t and don’t understand that.

One on one, I’m great. I’m into conversations and listening & sharing and all of that stuff. So, like Olivia, I could do just great on one on one dates.

The definition of introverts is that we use up a lot of energy when we’re “on” or in crowds, we don’t enjoy the spotlight and then we have to retreat and recharge afterwards. We gain energy from kicking back by ourselves. We NEED alone time. Extroverts gain energy from people and crowds. They live for being the center of attention. They love a party. So definitely extroverts have a big advantage in this show.

I’m not making apologies for Olivia, but I understand where she’s coming from.

3. denster24

January 19, 2016 at 11:09 AM

Hey Steve! Leslie Hughes was black and had a date with Sean, but she didn’t get a rose. Also, I’m pretty sure it was Lauren H who said she didn’t like balls in her face and then said “oh that sounded bad”.

Love your blog! You da man!

4. vessel

January 19, 2016 at 11:34 AM

I just emailed Steve about Leslie Hughes, I’m guessing mine will be one in 100. Sorry Steve!

5. sara32

January 19, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Hm I’m not sure if I agree about Ben phoning it in on the date with Jubilee. Seemed he was actually being genuine and himself with her, regardless of how she fares in coming episodes.

6. angelfish

January 19, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Ben’s date with Jubilee came off to me as squarely in the friendzone. I think he was fairly comfortable with her because she creates no spark for him.

And I think Olivia is hilarious. I just wish sh’s tone down the shine on her face and do something with her hair. They both look really greasy.

Overall, I’m enjoying the ladies & find Ben just as “meh” as I thought I would.

7. dogmomma

January 19, 2016 at 3:56 PM

I’ve been watching the Bachelor since season 1, and I’ve been reading the spoilers since they first started. I should know better about this show, but I get caught up in it and tend to forget about the manipulation behind the scenes, until I read the latest spoiler and reality slaps me in the face. I feel sorry for Olivia because she was chosen to be the person most hated, but then again she gave them a lot to work with. I’m sure the contestants get caught up in it and let their guard down just like I get caught up in it as a viewer and let my guard down. As for Ben, I see a lot of people who think he’s boring, but I’d rather watch him than someone who cannot carry on a conversation. Bottom line… Been watching the show forever and will keep on watching it no matter how bad the lead is. It’s just more painful to watch with a bad lead.

8. kimmyfromdablock

January 19, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Steve,

I guess the same way grade school boys find it funny to burp and fart, you find it amusing to refer to flight attendants as “Cart Tarts.”

I know you make these references (to death, by the way) all in jest, but it comes off as degrading and sexist to me. It’s 2016 dude, there are plenty of male flight attendants. You’re not exactly a brain surgeon Steve.

Also, fyi, it’s “I couldn’t care less.” If you ‘could’ care less, then you actually could, but you’re emphasizing that you don’t.

9. hurricaneemily

January 19, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Hey, Steve.

Thanks for the update on Janner’s wedding. Can’t wait!

Here’s a link to my recap for week 3: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-3-recap/

🙂

10. LynnS

January 19, 2016 at 8:17 PM

Kimmy – you said exactly what I wanted to say. Steve is very immature. My God he’s forty years old and still talks this way. He seems to be unable to get out of his high school/college years. For example, he loves 90210, Taylor Swift and all kinds of TV shows that depict that era. And he talks like a teenager with regard to sex.

And thank you for mentioning the “could care less” statement that so many people make. It’s very clear that if you could care less, that means that whatever you’re talking about is something that you do care about.

11. elizabeth82

January 19, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Wow, Steve is defending Olivia HARD.

12. wavecatchingmom

January 19, 2016 at 9:59 PM

I am not sure Steve and I watched the same show, maybe watching it on Hulu a day later shows the producer’s manipulations even more because it was very clear that Ben prodded Jubilee’s sad story out of her… he stumbled through the question “I want to… um… tell me more about that… um about your hard time or what you were um… ?? WTF? I should watch it again to get the exact wording. It was absolutely fed to him, he didn’t want to ask her but he had to. And she didn’t want to answer but had to. And the girls ganging up on her, that was absolutely manipulated but Steve reported it wrong, Amber did not go in to help Jubilee, she said, I’m going to confront her. and the only reason she toned it down was because Ben was there. She needed to explain to Ben why they wanted to confront her re: the girl talk which Jubilee rightly saw as a confrontation-one she could have handled by saying “hey bitches, I was making a joke, and you didn’t think it was funny, but it was a joke about being afraid to go in a helicopter”, but she obviously has some very real social fears as I could imagine having also in that situation, so I think the producers really earned the unreal slime award this week above all so far that I’ve seen. Also Olivia is not just an introvert, she’s a complete narcissist, which is why she can’t gauge other people’s feelings.

13. atleast4characters

January 19, 2016 at 11:37 PM

Let me help you out Kimmy. Scroll to the top of the page and see how Steve bills his blog. Then visit this http://bfy.tw/3ooG

14. smurfette22

January 20, 2016 at 8:41 AM

So, Olivia sounded delusional in this last episode. I’m sure he squeezes every girl’s hand and waist. But to say they are “signals” to let her know he wants to give her everything but he can’t? Does she even hear herself?!

What bothers me about cocktail parties is that if the girl already has a rose, people get pissed if she still wants to spend time with Ben? That’s ridiculous. If you like a person, you’re going to want to spend time with them regardless if you are safe for that week or not. It just makes it seem like the girls just want to secure their airtime for the next episode instead of actually connecting with Ben.

Caila is a DRAMA QUEEN. I feel like she was almost offended she didn’t get a one-on-one.

15. locondcoco

January 20, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Sorry if this has been pointed out before (haven’t been following the comments quite as much): If Sarah Silverman and Kristen Stewart were to have a love child, that love child would look like Lace.

And every season, we have the one cast member who doesn’t quite grasp how this show works. This season, that award seems like it goes to Caila. Congrats Caila.

16. duckquack

January 20, 2016 at 11:44 PM

awwwww Jubiiiiii Jubiiiii does not think she is good enuff…cry baby

they are talking diversity for the next season…LOL bros, or sisters do not share well their paramours with the rest of the competitors…there will be extensions and claws flying everywhere….

Jami is way prettier than Jubiiii who is irritating and tear jerking…..send her home she does not make good TV.

Olivia don’t stop….keep expressing yourself don’t forget to drink…

17. serapa

January 21, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Yes, Olivia was manipulated by producers and staff, but let’s face it…she seems very narcissistic, mean and oblivious.

18. ganny2jax

January 24, 2016 at 11:20 PM

I think it would be quite embarrassing for Olivia to return to her TV job when this is all over. Her mouth is unbelievably huge. Does she not realize how many times she opens it??

19. a016202

January 27, 2016 at 1:25 PM

“If you’ve ever negatively commented on a “Bachelor/ette” contestants social media account for something you saw on the show, you’re a loser”. Are you for real? You are a 40+ year old, single DUDE writing about a reality show and totally degrading the contestants in any media outlet available that is willing to pay for a room for you at the Holiday Inn. Who’s the loser here? JC, you’re an ass.