The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 3 Recap Incl Tanner & Jade’s Wedding, Editing, & Olivia the Introvert

Photo Credit: ABC

-So this was definitely a different start to the show. Usually we get just the girls sitting around a date card arriving, or Chris Harrison dropping it off, but before we got that, we immediately start in with a conversation between Amanda and Lauren B. talking about Olivia, and how she spent $40k on clothes for this season. I wasn’t there. I have no idea what Olivia said. But something tells me two girls aren’t going to randomly make up a ridiculous number like $40k unless Olivia said it. Obviously showing this whole conversation was just a set up for the rest of the episode (and the next three episodes really) being all about Olivia. We can already see where this is headed. But back to the wardrobe budget…ummmmm, WHAT? $40k for 2 months of filming? Is she Angelina Jolie or something? What kind of irrational shopper is she? What sugar daddy does she have that’s dropping 40 dimes on her for clothes? Either Olivia threw that number out there to try and impress the other girls and it was complete BS, or, she really did spend that much, which in turn makes her beyond capable of every owning a credit card. Or Daddy Big Bucks, Dr. Robert Caridi of Westlake Plastic Surgery, gave her a weekly allowance to go splurge.

-The first 1-on-1 date of the episode goes to Lauren B., the flight attendant. Once she’s ready, we see that she and Ben are wearing matching color tops, basically becoming the Power Blue Puff twins for the day, and it’s all kinds of creepy. Ben takes her on a drive to the Camarillo airport where a biplane awaits them. See what they did there? The airline waitress gets the plane date. Now, contrary to popular belief, a biplane is NOT a plane that has sex with both men and women. It’s a plane that does stunts in the air, and also most notably, was the plane that Brandon, Steve, Jonathan Kasten, and Joe Bradley took for a spin during junior year of college on “BH 90210.” But Joe had a heart condition, he passed out after the fact, they kept it quiet from Donna, Joe ended up having to quit being QB of the fictitious California University football team, thus ending his career, making him mope around the rest of the season, and he ended up eventually dumping Donna to go back to Beaver Falls, PA to be a high school football coach. Then Donna eventually got back with David. Again.

-Now that you’re all caught on season 6 of BH 90210, back to this show. While in the biplane, Ben and the Air Cart Girl fly over the mansion while all the girls hanging around at the pool notice them. You know, because producers said, “Hey girls, go outside. Ben and Lauren will be flying overhead in 3…2…1” A lot of the girls are bummed they aren’t on this date. Especially Olivia. Probably because if she were in the biplane, there’s a good chance she would’ve dumped a bucket of cement out of the plane hoping it landed on every girl at the pool, all while she cackled like the Wicked Witch of the East riding away on her broomstick. We aren’t a few days removed from Caila’s 1-on-1 with Ice Cube and Kevin Hart, yet we get a cutaway to Caila and Jojo talking on the back porch with Caila crying about how difficult this process is to see Ben date other women. Although you could argue that those were two separate conversations happening and they made it seem like Caila and JoJo were talking. Caila, the girl who dumped her boyfriend to go on this show, is now upset that Ben is interested in other people. That is hilariously ironic and also crazy embarrassing for her. Get yourself together, girl. You’ve been on ONE DATE with the guy and you’re crying, already? Then again, her senior prom was like a month ago, so I guess that makes sense.

-Back to Ben and the Trolley Dolly, they land somewhere in the mountains, he gives her a piggyback ride in the middle of nowhere, and whaddya’ know, a magical hot tub appears. No, not because “Jaccuzi’s Hot Tubs” needed some sort of plug, but just so we could see yet another date that has a hot tub in it. We’re now 2-for-2 this season. Stay tuned, #3 is coming up. These two enjoy their time in the hot tub, talking about nothing, giggling, kissing, giggling some more, kissing, and….ahhhhhhh hell. Can we fast forward to episode 11 now? As I’ve said, some seasons are easier than others when it comes to spoilers. This one was one of the easy ones. But lets not be mistaken. Ben and Lauren aren’t together because of anything that was shown last night. They are together because he proposed to her on Nov. 18th in Jamaica. Anyone can make a case for any other girl he’s on a 1-on-1 date if you didn’t know the spoilers (well, maybe except Jubilee), but it’s obvious who he likes and who he doesn’t. I’m sure those who still think the spoiler is wrong will watch JoJo’s 1-on-1 next week and make an argument it’s her. Or Becca and think it’s her. It’s not. Ben and the In Flight Bouncer are together and engaged. No need to overanalyze anything.

-These two sit down for dinner at the Camarillo Ranch House, which based on a Google search, is a 6,000 square foot Victorian home built in 1892 where a lot of weddings are held. It is here where Ben and the Space Waitress get seriously deep. He asks her what she enjoys in life. Lauren: “I like really simple things…come from very grounded family…my dad got excited cutting the grass.” A generic, plain, boring answer that practically puts everyone to sleep. In her video package, she mentioned to us she’s a total beach girl. Why wouldn’t she just say that? Nothing wrong with telling Ben you enjoy the beach life, even though he’s in the mountains of Colorado and there isn’t a beach anywhere close, and if they’re gonna live together that….ahhhh screw it. I’m getting ahead of myself. But anyway, yeah, the Cart Tart just likes simple things in life, Ben has no idea why she’s still single, and she tells him it’s because she’s picky. Translation: I’m going to play hard to get now the rest of the season. Come get me, big boy.

-The Mile High Maiden tells Ben that “there’s no place I’d rather be right now,” which is just this show’s hyperbole at its finest. Really? No other place in the world anywhere? You could have your choice to be anywhere and you’d pick the Camarillo Ranch House with Ben? Oh sister, you need to expand your horizons. Or maybe she knew what was coming next. Because after last week’s explosive private concert date he had with Caila as Taylor Swift Amos Lee performed, this week, somehow her schedule had an opening and The Queen, Beyonce Lucy Angel serenaded them with a barn concert. Somewhere Chris Soules is aroused by this. Lucy Angel? Hey, is she related to Whitney Bischoff’s new boyfriend Criss Angel, or whatever the hell his name is? Ricky Angel. That’s it. Sounds like the lead singer of a hair metal cover band. Oh yeah, the Pilot Nanny got the rose.

1. jfonteno

January 19, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Hi Steve,

Just quickly commenting to say I think Leslie from Sean’s season was the most recent black contestant to have a one-on-one date in the franchise. He sent her home after the date.

Cheers!

January 19, 2016 at 10:48 AM

So with Olivia, obviously she said what she said and did what she did. And she chose to be on the show, so she signed up for the ride. But I can relate to her a bit, like RS. Obviously I’d never be on the show, but in thinking about it, I know I could never do it. I don’t do well in crowds either & it’s virtually certain I wouldn’t get along with most guys in the house. I’m sure I could do very well on camera because I know how to be “on” when I need to be. But afterwards I’m just exhausted and don’t want to be around anyone or have to talk to anyone. That would come across as being stand offish, arrogant and rude. Which it’s not, but people wouldn’t and don’t understand that.

One on one, I’m great. I’m into conversations and listening & sharing and all of that stuff. So, like Olivia, I could do just great on one on one dates.

The definition of introverts is that we use up a lot of energy when we’re “on” or in crowds, we don’t enjoy the spotlight and then we have to retreat and recharge afterwards. We gain energy from kicking back by ourselves. We NEED alone time. Extroverts gain energy from people and crowds. They live for being the center of attention. They love a party. So definitely extroverts have a big advantage in this show.

I’m not making apologies for Olivia, but I understand where she’s coming from.

3. denster24

January 19, 2016 at 11:09 AM

Hey Steve! Leslie Hughes was black and had a date with Sean, but she didn’t get a rose. Also, I’m pretty sure it was Lauren H who said she didn’t like balls in her face and then said “oh that sounded bad”.

Love your blog! You da man!

4. vessel

January 19, 2016 at 11:34 AM

I just emailed Steve about Leslie Hughes, I’m guessing mine will be one in 100. Sorry Steve!

5. sara32

January 19, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Hm I’m not sure if I agree about Ben phoning it in on the date with Jubilee. Seemed he was actually being genuine and himself with her, regardless of how she fares in coming episodes.

6. angelfish

January 19, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Ben’s date with Jubilee came off to me as squarely in the friendzone. I think he was fairly comfortable with her because she creates no spark for him.

And I think Olivia is hilarious. I just wish sh’s tone down the shine on her face and do something with her hair. They both look really greasy.

Overall, I’m enjoying the ladies & find Ben just as “meh” as I thought I would.

7. dogmomma

January 19, 2016 at 3:56 PM

I’ve been watching the Bachelor since season 1, and I’ve been reading the spoilers since they first started. I should know better about this show, but I get caught up in it and tend to forget about the manipulation behind the scenes, until I read the latest spoiler and reality slaps me in the face. I feel sorry for Olivia because she was chosen to be the person most hated, but then again she gave them a lot to work with. I’m sure the contestants get caught up in it and let their guard down just like I get caught up in it as a viewer and let my guard down. As for Ben, I see a lot of people who think he’s boring, but I’d rather watch him than someone who cannot carry on a conversation. Bottom line… Been watching the show forever and will keep on watching it no matter how bad the lead is. It’s just more painful to watch with a bad lead.

8. kimmyfromdablock

January 19, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Steve,

I guess the same way grade school boys find it funny to burp and fart, you find it amusing to refer to flight attendants as “Cart Tarts.”

I know you make these references (to death, by the way) all in jest, but it comes off as degrading and sexist to me. It’s 2016 dude, there are plenty of male flight attendants. You’re not exactly a brain surgeon Steve.

Also, fyi, it’s “I couldn’t care less.” If you ‘could’ care less, then you actually could, but you’re emphasizing that you don’t.

9. hurricaneemily

January 19, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Hey, Steve.

Thanks for the update on Janner’s wedding. Can’t wait!

Here’s a link to my recap for week 3: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-3-recap/

🙂

10. LynnS

January 19, 2016 at 8:17 PM

Kimmy – you said exactly what I wanted to say. Steve is very immature. My God he’s forty years old and still talks this way. He seems to be unable to get out of his high school/college years. For example, he loves 90210, Taylor Swift and all kinds of TV shows that depict that era. And he talks like a teenager with regard to sex.

And thank you for mentioning the “could care less” statement that so many people make. It’s very clear that if you could care less, that means that whatever you’re talking about is something that you do care about.

11. elizabeth82

January 19, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Wow, Steve is defending Olivia HARD.

12. wavecatchingmom

January 19, 2016 at 9:59 PM

I am not sure Steve and I watched the same show, maybe watching it on Hulu a day later shows the producer’s manipulations even more because it was very clear that Ben prodded Jubilee’s sad story out of her… he stumbled through the question “I want to… um… tell me more about that… um about your hard time or what you were um… ?? WTF? I should watch it again to get the exact wording. It was absolutely fed to him, he didn’t want to ask her but he had to. And she didn’t want to answer but had to. And the girls ganging up on her, that was absolutely manipulated but Steve reported it wrong, Amber did not go in to help Jubilee, she said, I’m going to confront her. and the only reason she toned it down was because Ben was there. She needed to explain to Ben why they wanted to confront her re: the girl talk which Jubilee rightly saw as a confrontation-one she could have handled by saying “hey bitches, I was making a joke, and you didn’t think it was funny, but it was a joke about being afraid to go in a helicopter”, but she obviously has some very real social fears as I could imagine having also in that situation, so I think the producers really earned the unreal slime award this week above all so far that I’ve seen. Also Olivia is not just an introvert, she’s a complete narcissist, which is why she can’t gauge other people’s feelings.

13. atleast4characters

January 19, 2016 at 11:37 PM

Let me help you out Kimmy. Scroll to the top of the page and see how Steve bills his blog. Then visit this http://bfy.tw/3ooG

14. smurfette22

January 20, 2016 at 8:41 AM

So, Olivia sounded delusional in this last episode. I’m sure he squeezes every girl’s hand and waist. But to say they are “signals” to let her know he wants to give her everything but he can’t? Does she even hear herself?!

What bothers me about cocktail parties is that if the girl already has a rose, people get pissed if she still wants to spend time with Ben? That’s ridiculous. If you like a person, you’re going to want to spend time with them regardless if you are safe for that week or not. It just makes it seem like the girls just want to secure their airtime for the next episode instead of actually connecting with Ben.

Caila is a DRAMA QUEEN. I feel like she was almost offended she didn’t get a one-on-one.

15. locondcoco

January 20, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Sorry if this has been pointed out before (haven’t been following the comments quite as much): If Sarah Silverman and Kristen Stewart were to have a love child, that love child would look like Lace.

And every season, we have the one cast member who doesn’t quite grasp how this show works. This season, that award seems like it goes to Caila. Congrats Caila.

16. duckquack

January 20, 2016 at 11:44 PM

awwwww Jubiiiiii Jubiiiii does not think she is good enuff…cry baby

they are talking diversity for the next season…LOL bros, or sisters do not share well their paramours with the rest of the competitors…there will be extensions and claws flying everywhere….

Jami is way prettier than Jubiiii who is irritating and tear jerking…..send her home she does not make good TV.

Olivia don’t stop….keep expressing yourself don’t forget to drink…

17. serapa

January 21, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Yes, Olivia was manipulated by producers and staff, but let’s face it…she seems very narcissistic, mean and oblivious.

18. ganny2jax

January 24, 2016 at 11:20 PM

I think it would be quite embarrassing for Olivia to return to her TV job when this is all over. Her mouth is unbelievably huge. Does she not realize how many times she opens it??

19. a016202

January 27, 2016 at 1:25 PM

“If you’ve ever negatively commented on a “Bachelor/ette” contestants social media account for something you saw on the show, you’re a loser”. Are you for real? You are a 40+ year old, single DUDE writing about a reality show and totally degrading the contestants in any media outlet available that is willing to pay for a room for you at the Holiday Inn. Who’s the loser here? JC, you’re an ass.