The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 3 Recap Incl Tanner & Jade’s Wedding, Editing, & Olivia the Introvert

Photo Credit: ABC

-Next up is Ben’s 1-on-1 with Jubilee, who is still in awe of the fact she got a 1-on-1. So are we, Jubilee. So are we. She explains to us that she feels socially awkward sometimes when she gets nervous and it’s very apparent when Ben arrives for this date and she immediately calls him out for being late. Hey, I’ll be the first to tell you (as will my ex), I can’t stand when people are late. Let me be clear, consistently late. There’s a difference. Anyway, when Ben showed up at the mansion, the first thing Jubilee mentions was he was 20 minutes late, which then became a thing with the girls. It was dumb of Jubilee to say considering this is a television show and I’m guessing they were having Ben arrive right around the time they knew the helicopter would be flying overhead and landing. Then again, it was ridiculous for the show to also make that a central storyline of the date and get a bunch of the other women trashing Jubilee for it, even when she asked, “Does anyone else want to go on my date” once the helicopter arrived. Please. Totally blown out of proportion, but par for the course for this TV show. Make drama where there’s really none. Or put it into the other girls’ heads that Jubilee didn’t appreciate the date so they’ll comment on it.

-They take the helicopter down to the Cal-a-Vie Health Spa in Vista, CA for a day of being pampered. I think. First up was the food spread they had laid out for them, which looked like oysters and caviar. Ben’s gonna do a little oyster diving right away, which I thought was rather forward of him. But hey, play on playa’. Jubilee isn’t a fan of caviar. In fact, she would just like some hot dogs. She loves hot dogs. Funny thing is, so does Olivia. Probably because she could fit an 18 pack in her mouth all at once. You notice how last week they had numerous shots of Olivia opening her mouth wide like she was at the dentist? Unless I missed it, I only saw her do it once last night. Hence the reason why I just don’t find it to be that big of deal. It’s unfortunately a habit of hers that’s getting exploited on the show. No different than Andi saying “Sttaaaaaahhhhhp” all the time, or Juan Pablo constantly “essss ok,” or Ben using the word “like” 12 times in a :30 conversation. Olivia opens her mouth when surprised, startled, excited, etc. And now her mouth has become a Twitter sensation for it. Hey, there are probably a few guys totally turned on by it.

-Ben: “There is something about her I’m attracted…Jubilee intrigues me.” Translation: I will not be picking Jubilee this season. All you need to do is compare the two 1-on-1 dates this episode to see where Ben’s head is at. Not to mention the head on top of his shoulders. Oh sure, he and Jubilee got to make out in another hot tub (3-for-3 this season) by the end of the day portion of their date, but a completely different vibe than his one with the Air Bartender. When you find Jubilee “intriguing,” that’s pretty much always followed by “but there’s something about her I’m not sure about.” I think Ben pretty much went through the motions on this date and basically was counting the seconds til it was over. Not that he was having a horrible time, but because at this point, when you pretty much know who you’re picking, you just want to get it over with. He’ll have other dates, and he’ll make out with other girls and say all the right things to the camera, but that’s because he has to. Hence why I consistently say nothing about this show is real. Ben knew after his date with Jubilee he wasn’t gonna be engaged to her at the end of this thing. Did he express that? Of course not.

-On the dinner portion of their date, sh** started to get real. Can you believe that? A real, honest moment in “Bachelor” history. You might wanna savor it since we probably won’t see that for another 12 seasons or so. Jubilee opens up to Ben telling him about her life, how she’s the only surviving member of her family, and how her childhood really affected her. I mean, what do you even say to something like that? I thought Ben handled it about as well as he could. That’s kind of a lot for a first date, but then again, Jubilee kinda HAS to tell him that stuff since she knows she might not get another chance. Not many can possibly relate to what Jubilee went through in her childhood, especially plain ol’ white boy from Indiana. Does it mean she’s gonna be the “Bachelorette” because people feel sorry for her? No. But it was definitely a real moment rarely ever seen on this show and I applaud them for actually showing it. Jubilee got the rose.

1. jfonteno

January 19, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Hi Steve,

Just quickly commenting to say I think Leslie from Sean’s season was the most recent black contestant to have a one-on-one date in the franchise. He sent her home after the date.

Cheers!

January 19, 2016 at 10:48 AM

So with Olivia, obviously she said what she said and did what she did. And she chose to be on the show, so she signed up for the ride. But I can relate to her a bit, like RS. Obviously I’d never be on the show, but in thinking about it, I know I could never do it. I don’t do well in crowds either & it’s virtually certain I wouldn’t get along with most guys in the house. I’m sure I could do very well on camera because I know how to be “on” when I need to be. But afterwards I’m just exhausted and don’t want to be around anyone or have to talk to anyone. That would come across as being stand offish, arrogant and rude. Which it’s not, but people wouldn’t and don’t understand that.

One on one, I’m great. I’m into conversations and listening & sharing and all of that stuff. So, like Olivia, I could do just great on one on one dates.

The definition of introverts is that we use up a lot of energy when we’re “on” or in crowds, we don’t enjoy the spotlight and then we have to retreat and recharge afterwards. We gain energy from kicking back by ourselves. We NEED alone time. Extroverts gain energy from people and crowds. They live for being the center of attention. They love a party. So definitely extroverts have a big advantage in this show.

I’m not making apologies for Olivia, but I understand where she’s coming from.

3. denster24

January 19, 2016 at 11:09 AM

Hey Steve! Leslie Hughes was black and had a date with Sean, but she didn’t get a rose. Also, I’m pretty sure it was Lauren H who said she didn’t like balls in her face and then said “oh that sounded bad”.

Love your blog! You da man!

4. vessel

January 19, 2016 at 11:34 AM

I just emailed Steve about Leslie Hughes, I’m guessing mine will be one in 100. Sorry Steve!

5. sara32

January 19, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Hm I’m not sure if I agree about Ben phoning it in on the date with Jubilee. Seemed he was actually being genuine and himself with her, regardless of how she fares in coming episodes.

6. angelfish

January 19, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Ben’s date with Jubilee came off to me as squarely in the friendzone. I think he was fairly comfortable with her because she creates no spark for him.

And I think Olivia is hilarious. I just wish sh’s tone down the shine on her face and do something with her hair. They both look really greasy.

Overall, I’m enjoying the ladies & find Ben just as “meh” as I thought I would.

7. dogmomma

January 19, 2016 at 3:56 PM

I’ve been watching the Bachelor since season 1, and I’ve been reading the spoilers since they first started. I should know better about this show, but I get caught up in it and tend to forget about the manipulation behind the scenes, until I read the latest spoiler and reality slaps me in the face. I feel sorry for Olivia because she was chosen to be the person most hated, but then again she gave them a lot to work with. I’m sure the contestants get caught up in it and let their guard down just like I get caught up in it as a viewer and let my guard down. As for Ben, I see a lot of people who think he’s boring, but I’d rather watch him than someone who cannot carry on a conversation. Bottom line… Been watching the show forever and will keep on watching it no matter how bad the lead is. It’s just more painful to watch with a bad lead.

8. kimmyfromdablock

January 19, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Steve,

I guess the same way grade school boys find it funny to burp and fart, you find it amusing to refer to flight attendants as “Cart Tarts.”

I know you make these references (to death, by the way) all in jest, but it comes off as degrading and sexist to me. It’s 2016 dude, there are plenty of male flight attendants. You’re not exactly a brain surgeon Steve.

Also, fyi, it’s “I couldn’t care less.” If you ‘could’ care less, then you actually could, but you’re emphasizing that you don’t.

9. hurricaneemily

January 19, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Hey, Steve.

Thanks for the update on Janner’s wedding. Can’t wait!

Here’s a link to my recap for week 3: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-3-recap/

🙂

10. LynnS

January 19, 2016 at 8:17 PM

Kimmy – you said exactly what I wanted to say. Steve is very immature. My God he’s forty years old and still talks this way. He seems to be unable to get out of his high school/college years. For example, he loves 90210, Taylor Swift and all kinds of TV shows that depict that era. And he talks like a teenager with regard to sex.

And thank you for mentioning the “could care less” statement that so many people make. It’s very clear that if you could care less, that means that whatever you’re talking about is something that you do care about.

11. elizabeth82

January 19, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Wow, Steve is defending Olivia HARD.

12. wavecatchingmom

January 19, 2016 at 9:59 PM

I am not sure Steve and I watched the same show, maybe watching it on Hulu a day later shows the producer’s manipulations even more because it was very clear that Ben prodded Jubilee’s sad story out of her… he stumbled through the question “I want to… um… tell me more about that… um about your hard time or what you were um… ?? WTF? I should watch it again to get the exact wording. It was absolutely fed to him, he didn’t want to ask her but he had to. And she didn’t want to answer but had to. And the girls ganging up on her, that was absolutely manipulated but Steve reported it wrong, Amber did not go in to help Jubilee, she said, I’m going to confront her. and the only reason she toned it down was because Ben was there. She needed to explain to Ben why they wanted to confront her re: the girl talk which Jubilee rightly saw as a confrontation-one she could have handled by saying “hey bitches, I was making a joke, and you didn’t think it was funny, but it was a joke about being afraid to go in a helicopter”, but she obviously has some very real social fears as I could imagine having also in that situation, so I think the producers really earned the unreal slime award this week above all so far that I’ve seen. Also Olivia is not just an introvert, she’s a complete narcissist, which is why she can’t gauge other people’s feelings.

13. atleast4characters

January 19, 2016 at 11:37 PM

Let me help you out Kimmy. Scroll to the top of the page and see how Steve bills his blog. Then visit this http://bfy.tw/3ooG

14. smurfette22

January 20, 2016 at 8:41 AM

So, Olivia sounded delusional in this last episode. I’m sure he squeezes every girl’s hand and waist. But to say they are “signals” to let her know he wants to give her everything but he can’t? Does she even hear herself?!

What bothers me about cocktail parties is that if the girl already has a rose, people get pissed if she still wants to spend time with Ben? That’s ridiculous. If you like a person, you’re going to want to spend time with them regardless if you are safe for that week or not. It just makes it seem like the girls just want to secure their airtime for the next episode instead of actually connecting with Ben.

Caila is a DRAMA QUEEN. I feel like she was almost offended she didn’t get a one-on-one.

15. locondcoco

January 20, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Sorry if this has been pointed out before (haven’t been following the comments quite as much): If Sarah Silverman and Kristen Stewart were to have a love child, that love child would look like Lace.

And every season, we have the one cast member who doesn’t quite grasp how this show works. This season, that award seems like it goes to Caila. Congrats Caila.

16. duckquack

January 20, 2016 at 11:44 PM

awwwww Jubiiiiii Jubiiiii does not think she is good enuff…cry baby

they are talking diversity for the next season…LOL bros, or sisters do not share well their paramours with the rest of the competitors…there will be extensions and claws flying everywhere….

Jami is way prettier than Jubiiii who is irritating and tear jerking…..send her home she does not make good TV.

Olivia don’t stop….keep expressing yourself don’t forget to drink…

17. serapa

January 21, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Yes, Olivia was manipulated by producers and staff, but let’s face it…she seems very narcissistic, mean and oblivious.

18. ganny2jax

January 24, 2016 at 11:20 PM

I think it would be quite embarrassing for Olivia to return to her TV job when this is all over. Her mouth is unbelievably huge. Does she not realize how many times she opens it??

19. a016202

January 27, 2016 at 1:25 PM

“If you’ve ever negatively commented on a “Bachelor/ette” contestants social media account for something you saw on the show, you’re a loser”. Are you for real? You are a 40+ year old, single DUDE writing about a reality show and totally degrading the contestants in any media outlet available that is willing to pay for a room for you at the Holiday Inn. Who’s the loser here? JC, you’re an ass.