The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 3 Recap Incl Tanner & Jade’s Wedding, Editing, & Olivia the Introvert

Photo Credit: ABC

-The next day of the rose ceremony, the other girls were quite stunned Jubilee actually got a rose since they all thought she was going home. The storyline being that they were all thinking she didn’t want to be there based on her comments earlier in the day, Ben would see through that, and let her go. But now that she’s still around, obviously the focus will now turn to the girls trying to figure out why. Before the cocktail party starts, Ben lets everyone know he got a call from home and found out friends of his family had died in a plane crash, so he’s a little down. No worries, Olivia is here to save the day! Ben, I know it’s been a rough day for you hearing this horrible news and everything, but Olivia is having a rough go at it too. Didn’t you know she hates her legs? Aren’t you aware that people have wrote blogs about her cankles? C’mon Ben. Get with it. Some other people in the house are suffering too, it’s not just you. Geez. Have a little decency for others why don’t you? Ummmm, someone please find me a blog post where someone took the time to talk about Olivia’s cankles. I’m sure that doesn’t exist. Oh I’m sure people have commented on it on social media considering she was once a public figure being a TV anchor, but I highly doubt a whole blog post was spent breaking down how her calves are the same size as her ankles.

-Now, do I think Olivia probably talked about other things in that conversation with Ben other than her cankles? Yes. So that’s why I don’t wanna get too worked up like the rest of the internet saying, “How could you talk about your cankles after he just told everyone he had family friends die! How inconsiderate!” It’s why I will never take this show as seriously as 99% of the people out there who watch. If you had that reaction after Olivia’s talk with him, you need to reassess how you watch this show. Of course they’re going to show that part of the conversation – it continues her storyline. Not to mention Ben’s ITM saying that’s not what he wanted to hear. All it’s doing is building up Olivia as their villain. She’s this season’s “villain” in the sense that she’s not liked by others. But to me, she’s just coming across as more delusional than a villain. I mean, the stuff about touching her leg when he gets up, and squeezing her hands, and grabbing her waist at the rose ceremony – that’s just crazy. Even if you DID really feel that way, to say it in an ITM the way she did, and not realize how that would come across to the people watching is all on her. Everything she’s saying or doing on this show is all about Ben. Ben this, Ben that, Ben touches me this way, I wanna be Mrs. Higgins, Ben is mine, etc. The show is just making sure you hear all those soundbites because it makes her look a certain way. She seems pretty harmless to me so far. Just more self-centered and making everything about her. Not a good trait to have on this show.

-The rest of the cocktail party drama surrounded Jubilee and was quite head scratching. Jubilee decided to give Ben a massage because of the rough day he’d had, and everyone seemed to freak out over this. Either that or the fact they didn’t like that Jubilee went to go lay down by herself. Amber, already with rose in hand and safe at this rose ceremony, seemed to lead this charge for God knows what reason. She wants to have a girl chat with Jubilee (girl chat is where producers tell the girls to sit around in a circle and start talking about things producers tell them to talk about), but Jubilee doesn’t want to. So now Amber wants to bring the other girls over to her, and this is when Mount Jubilee practically bursts. She wants none of it, runs upstairs, and closes the bathroom door on everyone. We need more slamming of bathroom doors on this show. Always makes for good TV. Especially when JoJo is trying to find out what’s wrong and is there to help, only to be shunned away by Queen Jubilee.

-So of all people, Amber is the one that decides is told by a producer to go upstairs and comfort her. So Ben is in the bathroom with Jubilee, Amber comes in and starts talking about Jubilee’s comment from the previous day. Couldn’t have been any worse timing, couldn’t have been any more inappropriate, and couldn’t have been any more useless for her to bring that up right then and there. But for drama purposes, it was a 10-for-10. Amber, you have a rose, the girl is crying in the bathroom because she doesn’t want to talk. Do you think she really cares about opening up to you on something she said over 24 hours ago? So ridiculous, so not necessary, but of course, added to the drama so it made the final cut. Like what is Jubilee even supposed to say at that point? Really? Go have a girl chat on Olivia’s fibula and tibia or something. Just go away. You’re not wanted here.

-One last dramatic moment from the cocktail party, and that’s Lace pulling Ben outside and quoting her own tattoo. “You can’t love someone else until you truly love yourself.” She says she really needs to work on herself and that it’d be best if she left the show. I highly doubt Ben had any interest in putting up a fight on this one. One less person he doesn’t have to give a rose to. I think Lace played it perfectly on the after show. Laughed at herself, said the alcohol got the best of her, admitted she needed to work on herself, and came across as likable. Yet again, another reason why judging people from what you see on 80 minutes of footage once a week when there’s over 100 hours of tape for that particular episode doesn’t make sense. Oh sure, you can have your opinions on them, but to sit there and get mad, or call people out on social media for it – it’s embarrassing. I’ll put this as nicely as I can. If you’ve ever negatively commented on a “Bachelor/ette” contestants social media account for something you saw on the show, you’re a loser.

-Rose ceremony time. Trolly Dolly, Amber, and Jubilee all safe with roses. Ben’s turn to speak. “A lot going on in life…feelings I’ve never had before…can’t put words to, hard to explain…this is hard…appreciate you coming here to try something with me…and oh yeah, Olivia, I’m sorry for being so disrespectful earlier. How are your cankles?”

Lauren H.: He made out with her at the cocktail party, but it was never shown. And she pronounces “soccer moms” as “saccer maaaaaaaahms.”
Amanda: Pretty unassuming this episode. Barely saw her.
Becca: Talk about being a ghost for 3 episodes. She’s barely been relevant this season.
Haley: She’s a twin.
Emily: I still can’t tell them apart.
Rachel: When the only thing people know you by is the “unemployed girl,” you know you’ve had little impact on the season.
Caila: Betty Boop is probably very distraught she didn’t get much camera time this week.
JoJo: Next week I she’ll start becoming a bigger player on this show. And if she doesn’t get any hot tub action, I’ll be pissed.
Jennifer: Wait, did anyone besides Olivia, Lace, Jubilee, and Amber get any screen time this week?
Leah: Remember her with the black eye in the season promo saying someone punched her? Just like I suspected, it was never shown. Probably because it never happened either.

“Ladies, Ben, this is the final rose tonight. When you’re ready. It’s down to Olivia, Jami, and the Russian. Lets see, TV gold, Kaitlyn’s friend with no screen time, and the chick who barely speaks English. Tough call on who to keep around. Maybe this will shock people. Or not.”

Olivia: She must be mortified watching this show. There’s no way she’s enjoying this.

Once again, “Bachelor Live” was a complete waste of time. Thank God next week is the final installment of the season. It’s a horrible, horrible show with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Yes, Lace came across as normal and likable on the show, but don’t think for a second she’s really still contemplating whether or not she’s gonna do “Paradise.” Of course she is. That’s the biggest no-brainer in all of the world. She’ll be there. Count on it.

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you tomorrow.

1. jfonteno

January 19, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Hi Steve,

Just quickly commenting to say I think Leslie from Sean’s season was the most recent black contestant to have a one-on-one date in the franchise. He sent her home after the date.

Cheers!

January 19, 2016 at 10:48 AM

So with Olivia, obviously she said what she said and did what she did. And she chose to be on the show, so she signed up for the ride. But I can relate to her a bit, like RS. Obviously I’d never be on the show, but in thinking about it, I know I could never do it. I don’t do well in crowds either & it’s virtually certain I wouldn’t get along with most guys in the house. I’m sure I could do very well on camera because I know how to be “on” when I need to be. But afterwards I’m just exhausted and don’t want to be around anyone or have to talk to anyone. That would come across as being stand offish, arrogant and rude. Which it’s not, but people wouldn’t and don’t understand that.

One on one, I’m great. I’m into conversations and listening & sharing and all of that stuff. So, like Olivia, I could do just great on one on one dates.

The definition of introverts is that we use up a lot of energy when we’re “on” or in crowds, we don’t enjoy the spotlight and then we have to retreat and recharge afterwards. We gain energy from kicking back by ourselves. We NEED alone time. Extroverts gain energy from people and crowds. They live for being the center of attention. They love a party. So definitely extroverts have a big advantage in this show.

I’m not making apologies for Olivia, but I understand where she’s coming from.

3. denster24

January 19, 2016 at 11:09 AM

Hey Steve! Leslie Hughes was black and had a date with Sean, but she didn’t get a rose. Also, I’m pretty sure it was Lauren H who said she didn’t like balls in her face and then said “oh that sounded bad”.

Love your blog! You da man!

4. vessel

January 19, 2016 at 11:34 AM

I just emailed Steve about Leslie Hughes, I’m guessing mine will be one in 100. Sorry Steve!

5. sara32

January 19, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Hm I’m not sure if I agree about Ben phoning it in on the date with Jubilee. Seemed he was actually being genuine and himself with her, regardless of how she fares in coming episodes.

6. angelfish

January 19, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Ben’s date with Jubilee came off to me as squarely in the friendzone. I think he was fairly comfortable with her because she creates no spark for him.

And I think Olivia is hilarious. I just wish sh’s tone down the shine on her face and do something with her hair. They both look really greasy.

Overall, I’m enjoying the ladies & find Ben just as “meh” as I thought I would.

7. dogmomma

January 19, 2016 at 3:56 PM

I’ve been watching the Bachelor since season 1, and I’ve been reading the spoilers since they first started. I should know better about this show, but I get caught up in it and tend to forget about the manipulation behind the scenes, until I read the latest spoiler and reality slaps me in the face. I feel sorry for Olivia because she was chosen to be the person most hated, but then again she gave them a lot to work with. I’m sure the contestants get caught up in it and let their guard down just like I get caught up in it as a viewer and let my guard down. As for Ben, I see a lot of people who think he’s boring, but I’d rather watch him than someone who cannot carry on a conversation. Bottom line… Been watching the show forever and will keep on watching it no matter how bad the lead is. It’s just more painful to watch with a bad lead.

8. kimmyfromdablock

January 19, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Steve,

I guess the same way grade school boys find it funny to burp and fart, you find it amusing to refer to flight attendants as “Cart Tarts.”

I know you make these references (to death, by the way) all in jest, but it comes off as degrading and sexist to me. It’s 2016 dude, there are plenty of male flight attendants. You’re not exactly a brain surgeon Steve.

Also, fyi, it’s “I couldn’t care less.” If you ‘could’ care less, then you actually could, but you’re emphasizing that you don’t.

9. hurricaneemily

January 19, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Hey, Steve.

Thanks for the update on Janner’s wedding. Can’t wait!

Here’s a link to my recap for week 3: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-3-recap/

🙂

10. LynnS

January 19, 2016 at 8:17 PM

Kimmy – you said exactly what I wanted to say. Steve is very immature. My God he’s forty years old and still talks this way. He seems to be unable to get out of his high school/college years. For example, he loves 90210, Taylor Swift and all kinds of TV shows that depict that era. And he talks like a teenager with regard to sex.

And thank you for mentioning the “could care less” statement that so many people make. It’s very clear that if you could care less, that means that whatever you’re talking about is something that you do care about.

11. elizabeth82

January 19, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Wow, Steve is defending Olivia HARD.

12. wavecatchingmom

January 19, 2016 at 9:59 PM

I am not sure Steve and I watched the same show, maybe watching it on Hulu a day later shows the producer’s manipulations even more because it was very clear that Ben prodded Jubilee’s sad story out of her… he stumbled through the question “I want to… um… tell me more about that… um about your hard time or what you were um… ?? WTF? I should watch it again to get the exact wording. It was absolutely fed to him, he didn’t want to ask her but he had to. And she didn’t want to answer but had to. And the girls ganging up on her, that was absolutely manipulated but Steve reported it wrong, Amber did not go in to help Jubilee, she said, I’m going to confront her. and the only reason she toned it down was because Ben was there. She needed to explain to Ben why they wanted to confront her re: the girl talk which Jubilee rightly saw as a confrontation-one she could have handled by saying “hey bitches, I was making a joke, and you didn’t think it was funny, but it was a joke about being afraid to go in a helicopter”, but she obviously has some very real social fears as I could imagine having also in that situation, so I think the producers really earned the unreal slime award this week above all so far that I’ve seen. Also Olivia is not just an introvert, she’s a complete narcissist, which is why she can’t gauge other people’s feelings.

13. atleast4characters

January 19, 2016 at 11:37 PM

Let me help you out Kimmy. Scroll to the top of the page and see how Steve bills his blog. Then visit this http://bfy.tw/3ooG

14. smurfette22

January 20, 2016 at 8:41 AM

So, Olivia sounded delusional in this last episode. I’m sure he squeezes every girl’s hand and waist. But to say they are “signals” to let her know he wants to give her everything but he can’t? Does she even hear herself?!

What bothers me about cocktail parties is that if the girl already has a rose, people get pissed if she still wants to spend time with Ben? That’s ridiculous. If you like a person, you’re going to want to spend time with them regardless if you are safe for that week or not. It just makes it seem like the girls just want to secure their airtime for the next episode instead of actually connecting with Ben.

Caila is a DRAMA QUEEN. I feel like she was almost offended she didn’t get a one-on-one.

15. locondcoco

January 20, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Sorry if this has been pointed out before (haven’t been following the comments quite as much): If Sarah Silverman and Kristen Stewart were to have a love child, that love child would look like Lace.

And every season, we have the one cast member who doesn’t quite grasp how this show works. This season, that award seems like it goes to Caila. Congrats Caila.

16. duckquack

January 20, 2016 at 11:44 PM

awwwww Jubiiiiii Jubiiiii does not think she is good enuff…cry baby

they are talking diversity for the next season…LOL bros, or sisters do not share well their paramours with the rest of the competitors…there will be extensions and claws flying everywhere….

Jami is way prettier than Jubiiii who is irritating and tear jerking…..send her home she does not make good TV.

Olivia don’t stop….keep expressing yourself don’t forget to drink…

17. serapa

January 21, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Yes, Olivia was manipulated by producers and staff, but let’s face it…she seems very narcissistic, mean and oblivious.

18. ganny2jax

January 24, 2016 at 11:20 PM

I think it would be quite embarrassing for Olivia to return to her TV job when this is all over. Her mouth is unbelievably huge. Does she not realize how many times she opens it??

19. a016202

January 27, 2016 at 1:25 PM

“If you’ve ever negatively commented on a “Bachelor/ette” contestants social media account for something you saw on the show, you’re a loser”. Are you for real? You are a 40+ year old, single DUDE writing about a reality show and totally degrading the contestants in any media outlet available that is willing to pay for a room for you at the Holiday Inn. Who’s the loser here? JC, you’re an ass.