Reader Emails

“Reader Emails,” & Deleted Scenes from This Week

BACHELOR IN PARADISE: AFTER PARADISE - "Episode 104" - The wait is finally over as the new Bachelor for the series' landmark 20th season was introduced live in-studio and sat down with Chris Harrison and Jenny Mollen, on ABC's after-show "Bachelor in Paradise: After Paradise" on MONDAY, AUGUST 24 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET/PT). "The View" co-host and comedian Michelle Collins weighed in on the most recent episode of "Bachelor in Paradise" as a celebrity panelist along with contestants Dan and Joe. (ABC/Rick Rowell)
BEN HIGGINS
Photo Credit: ABC

So one of the questions you’ll see this week in “Reader Emails” is in regards to something I asked in yesterday’s column regarding the last time a black girl got a 1-on-1. I couldn’t remember off the top of my head who it was, but plenty of you emailed to remind me that it was Leslie Hughes from Seasn’s season that got the “Pretty Woman” date, but never got a rose and he sent her home. Totally slipped my mind. A couple weeks ago when I asked for stats on the ages of contestants, two people had MS Excel Spreadsheets for me within hours. So I’m trying to think of something else that maybe any readers would want to do some research on. Right now, I can’t think of anything in particular, but I’ll open it up to you. If someone wants to break something down season-by-season that they think would be interesting to note, by all means, have at it. If it’s good enough and I think the audience would like it, I’d absolutely post it. No hurry, I’m just throwing it out there. Any effort would be appreciated.

Interesting piece yesterday on Slate.com on how the “Bachelor” decides on the contestants jobs we see on the screen. For years I’ve told you that this is a storyline and it’s not their actual jobs. They’re just trying to get a rise out of the audience. That story yesterday sheds some light on exactly what the method behind their madness is, interviewing two former contestants, Kelly Travis and JJ O’Brien, along with former producer, Jason Carbone (again, no relation). So those that freak out every season over why do they have such stupid jobs, I suggest you read that article.

Nell Kalter has your RHOBH recap up now to view. What’s Brandi been up to this season? Do they reference her taking time off to go film “Famously Single” for E!? When is that airing by the way? I mean, I can’t tell you how many people have been clamoring to see when Josh Murray will be back on TV. I must’ve gotten ones of emails about it.

Here are your deleted scenes from this past week’s episode:

Bollywood dancing:

Ben sends the girls who lost the soccer game some ice cream (well, the producers did):

Bachelorettes talk trash on Jubilee:

1. angelfish

January 20, 2016 at 11:10 AM

The reason they didn’t have Chris Sigfried come to “advise” Ben was because he was never The Bachelor. He was simply a contestant. Chris Soules, Sean & Jason were there to let Ben know what it was like to be the man in front and the new face of the franchise. They were all leads and that’s completely different from what Mr. Chris Hartsock was.

2. kmannone723

January 20, 2016 at 12:32 PM

I don’t think Calia would be a good bachelorette in my opinion she seems too immature to me. If I was to pick a non-white Bachelorette that might be more interesting I would pick Jubilee personally. They’ve had a military Bachelor Andrew Baldwin I believe why not a military bachelorette?

3. kmannone723

January 20, 2016 at 12:47 PM

If they want Calia for Bachelorette they might as well have Britt because they are so similar in personality my nickname for Calia is Britt 2.0

January 20, 2016 at 2:37 PM

I think MF might have backed himself into a corner with the whole “diverse” Bachelorette comment. If he goes with Caila, of course, people aren’t going to necessarily agree that she’s that diverse. Half Asian is diverse? OK. He’s obviously not going to go with Jubilee, or the edit would have been better.

My bet is that he ends up with another white Bachelorette. Forcing Caila or even Jubilee into the equation when the formula will call for popularity on Social Media…. ehhhh…. I don’t see it.

Also, I cannot believe what a non factor Becca is in this show. Though, I guess if I think about it, she was just kind of there in Chris’ season too….. but she just kept on getting roses until, wow, she’s in the F4, then the F3, then the F2. I’m not saying she didn’t have her fans, but I think that was mostly the crazies who thought her being a virgin made her somehow more credible (there for the “right reasons”). She had zero interest in that dim bulb stuttering m/f Farmer Fred, just as I don’t see her having a ton of interest in Smilin’ Peter Brady. It’s just a big charade. I still get a heavy lezbo reading from Becca. Just sayin.

5. angelfish

January 20, 2016 at 2:59 PM

All those “diversity” comments referred to “the future” and means absolutely nothing for right now. As Steve pointed out, that could be next season, next year or 2024. It’s completely non-specific and worthless words.

I think it’s JoJo or Caila next season, unless the reach back to somebody from a previous season that’s still memorable. And that will be tough.

6. duckquack

January 21, 2016 at 12:17 AM

WTF is the Farmer doing back on the screen, he needs to go back to his farm and hibernate for the winter..he looks like a pudgy turd…is it possible he wants to beat the other Chris from Chi-town who was addicted to the show.

Jani is much prettier and could potentially make a good Bachelorette….the crying wimp Jubiiii Jooob needs to go home…
    Ben needs to gain some muscle, he looks like a scrawny teenager.

7. kmannone723

January 21, 2016 at 11:10 AM

@Rob I’m still kinda hoping for Becca as bachelorette especially after Kaitlyn’s raunchy season it would be nice to have someone pure and mature for a change. Although I will still watch either way but Kaitlyn kinda turned me off a bit especially when she brought nick v on and had sex with him damn near on camera before fantasy suites.(My mom covered her ears and eyes when they were in the hotel having sex) then she kept him til final 2 just to humiliate him. Me and my mom both felt back for Nick even though we don’t like him that much he still didn’t deserve that especially if she knew weeks prior she was choosing Shawn in the end.

January 21, 2016 at 12:51 PM

I was kind of hoping for Becca too, but probably for different reasons. Ok, yeah, I admit I thought she’d be easy to make fun of. But lately I’m thinking she would be really dull.

The whole Kaitlyn, Alf, Nick thing….. I thought it was ridiculous, of course, but in the end it made the show interesting & we could really hurl mud at the three of them. It was fun. So, since the whole premise is phony, isn’t it really better when we have a clueless lead like Juan Paco or Kaitlyn? There’s more to make fun of that way. Ees OK. I mean Smilin Peter Brady is killing me. I’m not even making it through the first 20 minutes before I’m asleep.

9. kmannone723

January 21, 2016 at 1:03 PM

it’s hard to know who they’ll pick even Whitney might be interesting instead of someone from this season. but they also need to consider the audience as well; after a very sexually charged season which would you rather see a true virgin(Becca) or someone different like Jubilee,(really not hoping for Calia she’s another Britt), or someone that recently got single like Whitney or even Britt actually give her a chance since she didn’t get it last time.

10. dogmomma

January 22, 2016 at 8:24 AM

I think Britt is in a relationship now, and I just recently read that Whitney has started dating someone as well.