The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 6 Recap Incl Ratings Jump, & That Season Ending Promo

Pigs

For years I’ve been promoting “Friday Night Lights” on my blog, and for years, plenty of you have decided to latch on and binge watch the show. Almost all of you have said how much you love it, and even though I get nothing out of if other than satisfaction to turn other people on to the show, it’s still always good to get emails from people saying they listened to my advice and now are hooked on the show or already finished it. Well, when I saw this news last week, my head just about exploded. There is a very good chance I might make a trip down to Austin in June to check this out. First I wanna see what former cast members commit to this, but if they get most of the crew down there, I can’t see why I wouldn’t want to attend this. Lets see who commits and then I’ll know, but this is a very good possibility at this point. Why wouldn’t I want to go to this? The only other show I’d be interested in seeing a panel on is “24” with the original cast, but I doubt that’s ever happening. Lets hope Coach, Tami, and the rest of the gang all commit to this. Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose!

Ratings are in from last night, and I have no idea who spiked the “Bachelor” punch bowl last night, but ratings jumped quite a bit. It was the highest rated episode of the season, bringing 8.5 million viewers and a 2.4 rating. The previous high for the season was episode 4’s 7.7 million viewers and a 2.2 rating. So to see that big of a jump in the last 2 weeks is huge. I mean, last night drew a million more viewers than the premiere did. I would expect numbers in the 8 millions for the rest of the season.

Chris Harrison’s blog is now up where he basically offers up nothing, so no use in talking about it. However Ben’s blog was at least a little more telling about what he felt back in October, so it’s actually worth the read this week.

But of course, Nell Kalter’s Vanderpump Rules recap is better than either Chris or Ben’s, so check that out and let her know what you think of that sh**show happening over at SUR. Or whatever that restaurant is.

So lets talk about that season ending promo they showed last night. All I needed to see was the reaction on a few tweets and a few emails to know ABC succeeded in exactly what they set out to do with that promo, and that was create confusion. No, I don’t know anything about the call Ben places at the end, but much like when Chris Harrison delivered a letter to Sean that subsequently had all of America freaking out, I’m sure that call is nothing. Do you know how many “I HAVE to know what’s in the letter!” emails I got that season? Tons. And what’d it turn out to be? Absolutely nothing important. Ben certainly isn’t calling another girl, so the only possible person left is his mother, something we saw him do on the first episode at the mansion. I know you want to read into it, but don’t. That call I guarantee has zero bearing on anything. As for all the choppy editing and the voiceovers versus what’s shown/what’s said, you could sit there and dissect it for days and you’ll get nowhere. There is no point. Ben has made it clear he told two different girls at the end he loved them. Why? I have no idea. But it doesn’t change the outcome of the show. Even though some of you are already suckered in and now think the spoiler is wrong, just know it’s not. That’s all I can tell ya’.

You can question til your blue in the face, “But how can he propose to someone right after he tells both of them he loves them,” and you’d be absolutely right to express that concern. Doesn’t make sense. But then again, this show doesn’t make sense, so there’s no point in reading into it. In the top 20 countdown of “Bachelor” moments, they recently just showed when Des and Brooks broke up. AFTER he dumped her, she still sat there like a crying mess and told him, “I don’t care, I still love you. I do love you” then days later got engaged to Chris and they’re married to this day. So honestly, it really doesn’t matter what Ben said to JoJo that day, or the day before, or how much he professed his love. It doesn’t change what happened in the end. So, (SPOILER ALERT), he did not pull a Mesnick, he did not dump Lauren, send her away, then take her back, nor did he let JoJo go early. It’s normal final rose ceremony where both women showed up, he dumped JoJo, got engaged to Lauren, and they are engaged to this day. Don’t be fooled by editing.

However, I’m still curious to how many of you were swayed by that hack editing job last night on the ending. So have at it:

February 9, 2016 at 9:59 AM

What Caila said to Smilin Peter Brady is essentially “I’m not that into you. But I don’t want to miss out on anything good, so I’ll hang for now”.

2. iampunka

February 9, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Pretty easy to figure out who Ben was calling. Same people he called right before all the girls showed up in the first episode–his parents. Nothing more. Was just calling them to let them know what he was about to do, which was propose to one of the girls, and letting them know which one.

Not sure what Leah was doing last night throwing Lauren B under the bus like that. She came across looking super insecure and juvenile, and it came from nowhere, especially with the other girls loving her so much. Then lying about it, was just classic. She has growing up to do.

Olivia–poor poor Olivia. Her ending was classic and I loved every second. People can say she got a poor edit, but she said all those things about connection, and was generally just really weird throughout. And her Teen Mom comment was a disaster and mean. As Olivia was in TV and used to having her producer tell her everything to say, I’m sure she was super easy to manipulate by her Bach producer as a result. Trusted her way too much. So foolish.

Ben kept Cailla around for some action, nothing more. He knew he wasn;t going to pick her and preferred kissing her to the girls he sent home. Only reason she sticks around.

February 9, 2016 at 12:44 PM

So, obviously Lauren B is the golden child. But, let’s say for arguments sake that the mis-directions of the show are correct (isn’t that an oxymoron?). Smilin Pete doesn’t pick her. (I know, crazy). Who have you got left that he WOULD pick?

Becca – disinterested 2nd timer, possibly bi-curious, possibly playing for the other team.

Caila – Not that into him, but likes the gifts and prizes. Maybe she’ll write a blog or start a handbag line. Maybe she’ll be The Bachelorette AND write a blog and start a handbag line. OK, forget the writing part. That’s not happening. I’m not sure she can spell “blog”.

Teen Mom – Not saying that disrespectfully, I just forgot her name. I can comfortably say, and I know I’m really going out on a limb, but Smilin Pete isn’t looking for an instant family. I’m not sure he’s looking for more than three good sure-thing Fantasy Suite Slams to be honest with you.

JoJo- I guess you could go this direction, but I think S.P. is more into an all night Fantasy Suite roll with JoJo. Let’s put it this way: I don’t see them staying up all night discussing Nietzsche or reading Chaucer aloud to one another. Wham, bam, thanks Joanne!

So, I guess the show could play up the JoJo angle and see how many suckers they hook. It could work. It has before.

February 9, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Oh, I forgot Emily, the twin. No, I really didn’t forget her. Barbie Dolls who eat only kid’s junk food are rather off-putting. You’re 23 and you won’t eat any vegetables? What kind of parents do you have? Oh wait. We saw that, didn’t we. Emily honestly makes my skin crawl. And to think the idea of twins initially sounded so nice. Perception, meet reality. She’s literally ruined my whole twin fantasy for life.

5. thedoctor

February 9, 2016 at 3:43 PM

How about where Peter was telling Caila to “kiss it”
    Perhaps I am just bored with the whole Bachelor series, but pretty sleep inducing. It all seems so producer driven and just mean-spirited.

The whole Lean/LB just came out of the blue. Just not feeling this season, bring on BIP!!!

6. kimmyfromdablock

February 9, 2016 at 4:55 PM

Steve, you forgot to mention Olivia looking into the camera and stating…..”Come at me bro.”

That was so weird!!! I also do not believe for one minute that she is 23 years old. No way.

I would be super disappointed if Caila became Bachelorette. She reminds me of a 12-year old. No thank you.

7. justforfun

February 9, 2016 at 6:40 PM

The scene with Olivia standing alone on the beach crying was priceless! I laughed out loud! The scenes with the pigs & the women were also hilarious. The entire episode was entertaining for once. I still think Ben is boring, and the rest of the season will be a snooze fest now that all the crazy women are gone.

Lauren B seems like a nice, normal person, but I’m sure she knew that she had the man early on. Too bad JoJo can’t be the next bachelorette, Caila will be a complete bore to watch. She is very immature, and does not seem like she is ready to get married. Actually, most of these women are around 23 yrs. old, and that seems way too young to get married.

8. adrie

February 10, 2016 at 4:49 AM

Irrespective of Olivia’s edit she was CRAZY! I wanted more meltdown footage after she was left stranded in the storm but ah well. I didn’t see Leah’s meltdown and Lauren B attack coming at all, I found it surprising!

9. hurricaneemily

February 10, 2016 at 4:58 AM

Hey Steve.

Thanks for the recap. Hope the friday night lights thing comes to pass.

You can check out my recap here: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-6-recap/

February 10, 2016 at 6:59 AM

I wonder how the Olivia show….errrrr… The Bachelor…. will be without Olivia. Well, less annoying, for sure. I guess not much was going on if they had to make her the feature. So, where does that leave the show now? Hopefully since the herd has been thinned, it will be a little more interesting. I’m not holding my breath though.

I thought it was a pretty mean trick to have Leah trash talk Lauren B. I know that’s common. But this was so obviously producer driven. There’s no way that Leah comes up with that idea organically. She’s not bright enough and I don’t think she would have done something that mean without a nice push.

The Bachelorette: I agree that Caila is not looking good for the role. Pretty. Diverse. And that’s about it. Not much going on with her that’s interesting. I said the same thing about Smilin Pete, and he’s proved me right. He’s the ultimate pretty face with a big smile. At some point the “formula” for this show will backfire and they’ll start losing viewers. Sometimes there’s nothing worse for any organization than success. They start believing their own hype. That’s when things go south. I think it’s time to get ahead of the curve and mix it up. The show’s so popular that they might even be able to pull in a C level celebrity to spice things up (any suggestions?). If I was consulting for The show, I would advise them to make a bold move this next season & head off the tedium. Moving outside the former cast members and you have lots of possibilities. Lots of possibilities for diverse leads, as well. If they wait too long to mix it up, once the viewers leave, they won’t come back.

11. smurfette22

February 10, 2016 at 7:42 AM

Crazy amount of girls to go home in one episode. I can’t believe what Leah did to Lauren B. I’m curious to see what they say about it at WTA. Olivia is not very bright. “I like to talk smart things” WTF? She sounds like a female version of Ron Burgundy. I bet she has leather bound books.

I’m sorry, but I feel like the fact that Emily is still there is almost one big joke. She drives me nuts and needs to come up with a synonym for “disrespectful”.

Caila drives me nuts!!! She’s a little entitled at this point. Getting the first one-on-one and being the first girl to get a second one-on-one date. I’m glad they didn’t show much of her date. At this point I totally believe that email Steve got about the way she was acting at her auditions.

I feel like they pick people they can easily manipulate to be the leads. Enter Caila, who is clearly trying to stay on the show to be considered for the lead next season.

And I just like Jojo. It might have something to do with being family friends with Eva Longoria so it seems like she just wants to be on TV. Basically I only like Lauren B. She seems normal.

12. renelson23

February 10, 2016 at 10:34 AM

If they pick Caila to be the next Bachelorette then I will not watch. It will be another unwatchable season like it was with Kaitlyn and Andi. I could not bring myself to watch them…JMHO

13. kmannone723

February 11, 2016 at 7:51 AM

@renelson kinda agree with you on Caila or as I call her Britt 2.0 I’m still hoping for Jubilee or Becca as bachelorette myself. but then again I’ll still watch regardless but I’m hoping for a little less raunchy after Kaitlyn put sex waay out in the spotlight of the show it would be nice to give Becca a chance at the lead or even Jubilee because ages ago they had a military bachelor Andy Baldwin why not a diverse military bachelorette?

14. cjscjs711

February 11, 2016 at 10:19 AM

In addition to having a good-sized, ready-made social media following, I think the show will ALWAYS choose former participants for leads. They simply cannot have the lead fall apart or punk out during filming, nor neglect the script. The lead MUST ALSO string everyone along, be able to deceive multiple people into staying – or they have no continuing show. Further, from what all former leads have said, the part is grueling – emotionally and physically with oftentimes little sleep. Producers would no doubt feel very insecure about taking a chance on someone new, out of nowhere, as lead.

I’d personally love to see Jubilee as lead but I wonder whether emotionally she’s up to handling something like this, both during filming and the aftermath with both adulation and near-damnation from fans.

15. jettslave

February 12, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Hack editing? Seriously? They should get an award for their editing. They make drama where there isn’t any. They can make people seem evil or stupid. They can make it seem like something is about to happen & then something else completely different happens. What do you want them to do? Just show exactly what’s going to happen? That’s not how this works. This is a tv show, they edit, & they edit really good. Why don’t you just do your spoiling like you’re good at it & stop getting your feathers ruffled every time someone disagrees with you or questions your said outcome? If you read your comments, you’ll see others find it quite irritating too.