The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 6 Recap Incl Ratings Jump, & That Season Ending Promo

-Immediately we pick up where we left off last week as Ben has pulled Olivia aside to talk to her about some of the concerns the other girls are voicing. OMG is he gonna let her go? Is he gonna take away her rose and finally Olivia will be gone? You know how I always say time and time again that way more people DON’T know about the spoilers than do? This was a perfect example of it. Obviously those of you who have read me for years, follow daily, and knew this back in October that Olivia didn’t get sent home in Mexico City understand, but I’m telling you, just seeing the comments of people on Twitter, social media, etc it’s staggering how many really are clueless to the spoilers. Ben tells Olivia maybe she isn’t connecting with the women. Olivia: “Target on my back…people hated me…finding me aggressive…I can’t win…these girls like painting each others nails…doing each other’s hair…I like to read books…I wanna talk smart things…” For someone who wants to talk smart things, that’s a hell of a sentence to put together. We could dissect Olivia’s edit til we’re blue in the face. It’s pointless. I told you 2 ½ months ago she didn’t get along with the other girls, we’re seeing that play out now as all of them seem to have had a problem with her during filming, and the show has turned into the Olivia show for the last 5 weeks. Is what it is. Not to mention, everyone that asked all season why the girls don’t like Olivia, she basically just spelled it out for Ben right there. Whether it’s intentional or not, she comes across as above everyone else and that turned everyone off.

-Rose ceremony time. Amanda, Olivia, and Lauren H. safe with roses. Ben: “Incredible week…excited for what’s next…all makes sense…thank you for these dates…this is the hardest rose ceremony ever…until next week when I say the same thing again…”

Caila: Her date with Kevin Hart and Ice Cube seems like it happened in 2010.
Lauren B.: I’m just gonna remember February 8th as the day everyone freaked out and thought the spoiler is wrong. Don’t think I won’t remind you of tonight’s freak out come March 14th.
JoJo: Slowly starting to become more of a major player this season.
Becca: I don’t think this was what Becca had in mind when she returned for a second time. She’s barely been a blip on the radar.
Leah: If Becca’s barely been a blip on the radar, Leah has basically been a ghost. Until tonight’s episode.

“Ladies, Ben, it’s the final rose tonight. When you’re ready. Even though none of us have a clue who Jennifer seems to be at this point, hey, at least she’ll make an outstanding candidate for BIP.”

Emily: Well of course they’re keeping her. She’s been bad mouthing Olivia for two straight episodes so it’s only natural to pit them against each other on the 2-on-1.

-We are now in the Bahamas. No cheesy camera phone footage of the women on the plane, no map with a paper plane flying from Mexico City to Bahamas to give us a geography lesson either. Just boom! We’re in Bahamas and the weather sucks donkeys right now. Overcast, windy, and rainy pretty much every day they were there. Boooooooooo Bahamas. Chris Harrison informs the girls that there will be a 1-on-1, group date, and 2-on-1 this week. Caila gets the first 1-on-1, and we start in on the wrath of Leah this episode. She’s basically pissed Caila now has her second 1-on-1 and Leah’s been on nothing but group dates. Ben comes and greets the girls and is basically showing more cleavage than all of them. Someone might wanna tell Ben there’s a reason you have buttons on your shirt. It’s to button them. Leaving your shirt open down to your naval is strictly reserved for dbags and models. And from what I can tell, you’re neither. Fasten those top ones Ben. Even Steff from “Pretty in Pink” thinks you look ridiculous…

Steff

(By the way, I’d just like to mention that this month is the 30 year anniversary of “Pretty in Pink,” and select theatres are re-releasing it this Sunday on Valentine’s Day, with supposedly footage of the original ending that was shot where Andie ended up with Duckie. I may or may not have bought my ticket to this a month ago.)

-Once Ben and Caila head off to their deep sea fishing date, it’s time for Leah to whine some more about why the hell she’s still there. Trust us Leah, we’re all asking ourselves the same question. Hell, I thought you just snuck on set about episode 3 or so. She’s crying to Lauren H. saying she doesn’t understand why Caila gets a second 1-on-1 when all she’s been on are group dates. “I’ve been told if you don’t get a 1-on-1, you’re pretty much done.” Well, I will say this for Leah. That might’ve been the smartest thing ever said on this show in the history of ever. I think Leah is starting to see things a liiiiiiitle more clearly now. Translation: I’m toast and my time on this show is numbered. She says she feels like a total fool, she lives like 10 minutes from Ben and she could’ve easily met him at a bar or something. Well, Lace lives close to Ben as well and look how that turned out. Outside of Andi and Josh, the proximity of where you live to lead matters about as much as the engagement at the end of every season, which is, very little.

-Is it just me, or did they literally show two minutes of Ben and Caila’s time on the boat? They talked a few sentences, kissed, a quick clip of them fishing, then jumping into the water. That was it. Then again, the first 20 minutes of the show had to wrap up what happened in Mexico City, so we still had to squeeze in 3 Bahamas dates this episode in 20 less minutes, so, I guess not showing them doing anything important on the boat makes sense. The good stuff was at their dinner anyway. And by “good stuff” I mean, totally confusing that no one understands. Before dinner starts, Ben says in an ITM that “I’m worried if I can get below the surface with Caila.” Is that a euphemism for “Hey, is this chick ever gonna let me get in her pants or no? Because if not, she’s gots to go.” Or something like that.

-Then, the confusion begins because, well, I’ll let Caila explain it to you. “I feel like I love you…I don’t know why I can’t show it…my greatest fear is that I can’t completely fall in love with somebody. It feels like I’m gonna hurt you.” Huh? Come again? You love him, but you don’t. You wanna be with him, but you can’t show him you wanna be with him. You feel like you love him, but you can’t completely fall in love with somebody. I don’t think anyone had a f***ing clue what Caila was getting at in this conversation, other than submitting her resume for the “Bachelorette” gig. Of course if she gets it, that’s what her whole storyline will be about. But lets not get carried away here. They can make storyline around anyone they want for the lead. Just because they showed Caila saying that last night doesn’t mean it’s a lock. Is she a candidate? Yes. Does she have a good chance? Yes. But nothing has been decided yet.

-The confusion continues. Caila: “I feel like you’re the right person…I know I’m falling in love because I feel like I’m being understood…I want to feel understood…I understand you in a deeper way…I feel I want you in my life…I feel happy.” Caila certainly feels a lot. And I’m sure Ben feels like he’s getting sick listening to this girl constantly give all these feels, yet not really explain what any of it all means. You want to feel understood? That’s great. Then stop having these long drawn out explanations on all these feelings that no one can understand, including the guy sitting right in front of your face. Maybe that’ll help. I’m sure this was very calculated on Caila’s part, and if there was anything I could possibly draw from that all-over-the-map speech, it’s that she’s leaving herself an out for when/if she gets dumped. Since we know how it plays out, I think Caila knew exactly what she was saying at that dinner – even though none of us had a f***ing clue. Somehow, some way, Ben gave Caila the rose. When in complete confusion and doubt, just kiss them and give them a rose. Makes things allll better.

February 9, 2016 at 9:59 AM

What Caila said to Smilin Peter Brady is essentially “I’m not that into you. But I don’t want to miss out on anything good, so I’ll hang for now”.

2. iampunka

February 9, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Pretty easy to figure out who Ben was calling. Same people he called right before all the girls showed up in the first episode–his parents. Nothing more. Was just calling them to let them know what he was about to do, which was propose to one of the girls, and letting them know which one.

Not sure what Leah was doing last night throwing Lauren B under the bus like that. She came across looking super insecure and juvenile, and it came from nowhere, especially with the other girls loving her so much. Then lying about it, was just classic. She has growing up to do.

Olivia–poor poor Olivia. Her ending was classic and I loved every second. People can say she got a poor edit, but she said all those things about connection, and was generally just really weird throughout. And her Teen Mom comment was a disaster and mean. As Olivia was in TV and used to having her producer tell her everything to say, I’m sure she was super easy to manipulate by her Bach producer as a result. Trusted her way too much. So foolish.

Ben kept Cailla around for some action, nothing more. He knew he wasn;t going to pick her and preferred kissing her to the girls he sent home. Only reason she sticks around.

February 9, 2016 at 12:44 PM

So, obviously Lauren B is the golden child. But, let’s say for arguments sake that the mis-directions of the show are correct (isn’t that an oxymoron?). Smilin Pete doesn’t pick her. (I know, crazy). Who have you got left that he WOULD pick?

Becca – disinterested 2nd timer, possibly bi-curious, possibly playing for the other team.

Caila – Not that into him, but likes the gifts and prizes. Maybe she’ll write a blog or start a handbag line. Maybe she’ll be The Bachelorette AND write a blog and start a handbag line. OK, forget the writing part. That’s not happening. I’m not sure she can spell “blog”.

Teen Mom – Not saying that disrespectfully, I just forgot her name. I can comfortably say, and I know I’m really going out on a limb, but Smilin Pete isn’t looking for an instant family. I’m not sure he’s looking for more than three good sure-thing Fantasy Suite Slams to be honest with you.

JoJo- I guess you could go this direction, but I think S.P. is more into an all night Fantasy Suite roll with JoJo. Let’s put it this way: I don’t see them staying up all night discussing Nietzsche or reading Chaucer aloud to one another. Wham, bam, thanks Joanne!

So, I guess the show could play up the JoJo angle and see how many suckers they hook. It could work. It has before.

February 9, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Oh, I forgot Emily, the twin. No, I really didn’t forget her. Barbie Dolls who eat only kid’s junk food are rather off-putting. You’re 23 and you won’t eat any vegetables? What kind of parents do you have? Oh wait. We saw that, didn’t we. Emily honestly makes my skin crawl. And to think the idea of twins initially sounded so nice. Perception, meet reality. She’s literally ruined my whole twin fantasy for life.

5. thedoctor

February 9, 2016 at 3:43 PM

How about where Peter was telling Caila to “kiss it”
    Perhaps I am just bored with the whole Bachelor series, but pretty sleep inducing. It all seems so producer driven and just mean-spirited.

The whole Lean/LB just came out of the blue. Just not feeling this season, bring on BIP!!!

6. kimmyfromdablock

February 9, 2016 at 4:55 PM

Steve, you forgot to mention Olivia looking into the camera and stating…..”Come at me bro.”

That was so weird!!! I also do not believe for one minute that she is 23 years old. No way.

I would be super disappointed if Caila became Bachelorette. She reminds me of a 12-year old. No thank you.

7. justforfun

February 9, 2016 at 6:40 PM

The scene with Olivia standing alone on the beach crying was priceless! I laughed out loud! The scenes with the pigs & the women were also hilarious. The entire episode was entertaining for once. I still think Ben is boring, and the rest of the season will be a snooze fest now that all the crazy women are gone.

Lauren B seems like a nice, normal person, but I’m sure she knew that she had the man early on. Too bad JoJo can’t be the next bachelorette, Caila will be a complete bore to watch. She is very immature, and does not seem like she is ready to get married. Actually, most of these women are around 23 yrs. old, and that seems way too young to get married.

8. adrie

February 10, 2016 at 4:49 AM

Irrespective of Olivia’s edit she was CRAZY! I wanted more meltdown footage after she was left stranded in the storm but ah well. I didn’t see Leah’s meltdown and Lauren B attack coming at all, I found it surprising!

9. hurricaneemily

February 10, 2016 at 4:58 AM

Hey Steve.

Thanks for the recap. Hope the friday night lights thing comes to pass.

You can check out my recap here: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-6-recap/

February 10, 2016 at 6:59 AM

I wonder how the Olivia show….errrrr… The Bachelor…. will be without Olivia. Well, less annoying, for sure. I guess not much was going on if they had to make her the feature. So, where does that leave the show now? Hopefully since the herd has been thinned, it will be a little more interesting. I’m not holding my breath though.

I thought it was a pretty mean trick to have Leah trash talk Lauren B. I know that’s common. But this was so obviously producer driven. There’s no way that Leah comes up with that idea organically. She’s not bright enough and I don’t think she would have done something that mean without a nice push.

The Bachelorette: I agree that Caila is not looking good for the role. Pretty. Diverse. And that’s about it. Not much going on with her that’s interesting. I said the same thing about Smilin Pete, and he’s proved me right. He’s the ultimate pretty face with a big smile. At some point the “formula” for this show will backfire and they’ll start losing viewers. Sometimes there’s nothing worse for any organization than success. They start believing their own hype. That’s when things go south. I think it’s time to get ahead of the curve and mix it up. The show’s so popular that they might even be able to pull in a C level celebrity to spice things up (any suggestions?). If I was consulting for The show, I would advise them to make a bold move this next season & head off the tedium. Moving outside the former cast members and you have lots of possibilities. Lots of possibilities for diverse leads, as well. If they wait too long to mix it up, once the viewers leave, they won’t come back.

11. smurfette22

February 10, 2016 at 7:42 AM

Crazy amount of girls to go home in one episode. I can’t believe what Leah did to Lauren B. I’m curious to see what they say about it at WTA. Olivia is not very bright. “I like to talk smart things” WTF? She sounds like a female version of Ron Burgundy. I bet she has leather bound books.

I’m sorry, but I feel like the fact that Emily is still there is almost one big joke. She drives me nuts and needs to come up with a synonym for “disrespectful”.

Caila drives me nuts!!! She’s a little entitled at this point. Getting the first one-on-one and being the first girl to get a second one-on-one date. I’m glad they didn’t show much of her date. At this point I totally believe that email Steve got about the way she was acting at her auditions.

I feel like they pick people they can easily manipulate to be the leads. Enter Caila, who is clearly trying to stay on the show to be considered for the lead next season.

And I just like Jojo. It might have something to do with being family friends with Eva Longoria so it seems like she just wants to be on TV. Basically I only like Lauren B. She seems normal.

12. renelson23

February 10, 2016 at 10:34 AM

If they pick Caila to be the next Bachelorette then I will not watch. It will be another unwatchable season like it was with Kaitlyn and Andi. I could not bring myself to watch them…JMHO

13. kmannone723

February 11, 2016 at 7:51 AM

@renelson kinda agree with you on Caila or as I call her Britt 2.0 I’m still hoping for Jubilee or Becca as bachelorette myself. but then again I’ll still watch regardless but I’m hoping for a little less raunchy after Kaitlyn put sex waay out in the spotlight of the show it would be nice to give Becca a chance at the lead or even Jubilee because ages ago they had a military bachelor Andy Baldwin why not a diverse military bachelorette?

14. cjscjs711

February 11, 2016 at 10:19 AM

In addition to having a good-sized, ready-made social media following, I think the show will ALWAYS choose former participants for leads. They simply cannot have the lead fall apart or punk out during filming, nor neglect the script. The lead MUST ALSO string everyone along, be able to deceive multiple people into staying – or they have no continuing show. Further, from what all former leads have said, the part is grueling – emotionally and physically with oftentimes little sleep. Producers would no doubt feel very insecure about taking a chance on someone new, out of nowhere, as lead.

I’d personally love to see Jubilee as lead but I wonder whether emotionally she’s up to handling something like this, both during filming and the aftermath with both adulation and near-damnation from fans.

15. jettslave

February 12, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Hack editing? Seriously? They should get an award for their editing. They make drama where there isn’t any. They can make people seem evil or stupid. They can make it seem like something is about to happen & then something else completely different happens. What do you want them to do? Just show exactly what’s going to happen? That’s not how this works. This is a tv show, they edit, & they edit really good. Why don’t you just do your spoiling like you’re good at it & stop getting your feathers ruffled every time someone disagrees with you or questions your said outcome? If you read your comments, you’ll see others find it quite irritating too.