The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 6 Recap Incl Ratings Jump, & That Season Ending Promo

-It’s group date time and Ben takes the girls to a private island. Not “Fantasy Island” with Tattoo, but just a private island where they’ll be groped, chased, and hounded by pigs as they wave hot dogs at them. These girls in bikini’s being chased by pigs basically describes any hotel pool scene in Vegas. Except the guys have their hot dogs out. I guess this is the thing to do in the Bahamas so all the girls got to experience what many others before them have done. Although most of these girls started freaking out at the thought of feeding pigs. Especially surprising was Becca. Becca: “I didn’t know I was scared of pigs until today.” Ummmm, you dated Chris last season. You should’ve. I’m not sure exactly why the pigs had everyone on edge, but they did. Nobody seemed to be enjoying themselves and it was like someone peed in the pool but no one would acknowledge it. But if someone did, you know it was Leah.

-Actually, the other girls didn’t seem thrilled because they openly brought up what I reported to you guys in October, and that was that Ben was into Lauren B., the other girls were aware of it, and it was pretty much over at that point. Gotta love when the show essentially gives credit to my sources. Guys, I would never have reported that if it wasn’t true. Now you know it was. Even JoJo brings it up to him in the water and Ben has to pretend he has no idea what she’s talking about. He plays it off as if it really has something to do with group dates being awkward, yada yada yada. Basically, he got caught with his pants down and now doesn’t know what to do. Although they are off together by themselves in the water, it’s not like Ben couldn’t have pulled a little Ben Flajnik and Courtney right there. A little handy underwater never hurt anybody, did it? Oh, so he’s gonna play the gentleman card now and not get one with 5 other girls around? Pssssh. Whatevs. You know you wanted to you little dirty dog.

-Ben even took the time to acknowledge Leah’s existence during this group date, although their exchange couldn’t have been any more awkward if they tried.

Ben: “Do you like pigs?
Leah: “I like pigs. I like to eat pigs.”

Wait, like whole? As part of a luau? Or you really like yourself a good ol’ helping of bacon? And is it really nice of you to be talking about eating pigs when they’re RIGHT THERE? Shame on you. I hope one of them came up from behind you and pulled down your bikini bottoms in retaliation. The conversation went from awkward to even more awkward where she basically told Ben to his face she didn’t understand why he gave Caila a second 1-on-1 when she hasn’t even gotten her first. Well, the short answer is because you’re going home in the Bahamas, Leah. However, Ben can’t tell you that right now, so he kinda has to hem and haw about how he wants you there, you guys have a connections, etc. I half expected him to whip out a violin to start playing the sob music for you. Basically Ben was caught with his pants down, again, and really had no way to recover from it other than to feed Leah a bunch of BS so she’d stop crying and actually think she still had a chance. She didn’t.

-At the after party, it was more of the same. All these girls aren’t happy and they express their disappointment to Ben. First up is Becca. Ben: “I felt today you were a little standoffish.” Becca admits she was, and she brings up the fact that he has an obvious connection with Lauren B., and she felt kinda left out. You know, just like everyone else did, Ben. See what you did? Make all the girls feel crappy about themselves. Maybe you shouldn’t make it so obvious you wanted Lauren B.’s tongue in your mouth the whole time while on dates with other people. That’s now two girls that have noticed it. And I’m guessing if two girls noticed it, than they all noticed it. But then again, put on the spot and needing to smooth things over, he just started making out with Becca and that seemed to clear up everything. It’s amazing what that can do to these women. One second they’re worried they’re getting sent home, and moments after implanting tongue in their mouth, all their worries magically disappear. Except Leah. She knows he’s full of sh** and is already checking in online for her flight home.

-After comforting Amanda and letting her know that there’s no reason to doubt that he likes her (along with a makeout), Leah is up next. Right now, Leah is batting .000, the bases are loaded, it’s the bottom of the 9th, two outs, 0-2 count, and her team is down 3. She’s up there hacking and taking no prisoners. Leah: “There are women here that aren’t being real with you…I don’t wanna say any names…one person you have the strongest connection with…it’s Lauren B.” Now, lets make one thing perfectly clear here: Everything in that sentence, if you watch it back, you see Leah saying it on camera. However, when she says “it’s Lauren B.” we never see her saying that, it’s just a voiceover. Did it really matter in the long run? Not really, because she went to his room and said Lauren’s name to his face later on. But in that particular conversation, no, she never said Lauren’s name. I mean, she just said 3 seconds earlier she didn’t want to say anyone’s name, so there’s a reason we never saw the front of her face when we hear “it’s Lauren B.” But she knew, Ben knew, and we all knew who she was talking about anyway, so it wasn’t much of a secret.

-So Lauren magically shows up and is the one to interrupt Leah’s time. Imagine that? Ben immediately dives in to what he just heard. “You were brought up as being someone that’s different in the house than around me.” This doesn’t sit well with her since, well, who would want to hear that about themselves. She goes back to the other girls crying and tells them what Ben told her. Leah walks in and asks what’s going on, Lauren mentions someone told Ben that she isn’t the same around him as she is around everyone else. Becca asks Leah directly if it was her that told Ben that. She said no. Well, did she specifically mention Lauren’s name when she told Ben that? No. But Leah knew she was caught at that point. I’m just curious, is Leah aware this was a TV show and that everything she said was being recorded and would be played back at a later date? Was she really that dumb to think that the girls would never realize it was her? Hell, by the end of the night, process of elimination they knew it was her who told Ben. They didn’t even need to watch the episode. But then again, when your bags are packed, you have zero chance of staying on the show, and a producer convinces you it’d be a good idea to call someone out, you do it. Stupid move, but what’d she have to lose at that point? She was going home anyway.

-At the end of this very depressing group date, Ben gives the rose to Amanda because process of elimination. The only other logical person who could’ve gotten it would’ve been JoJo. Leah and Lauren H. weren’t getting it because they were both going home. Becca admitted to Ben that she was standoffish in the episode, so highly unlikely it was going to her, and he heard some not-so-nice things from Leah about Lauren B., so probably wasn’t going to her either. This then leads to kind of a bizarre sequence later on that evening – or was it the next day? What we’re shown is Lauren B., Emily, and Amanda talking about who could’ve ratted Lauren B. out to Ben. All while this conversation going on, we’re getting clips of Leah getting dressed to go see Ben along with dialogue to support that. However, when Leah leaves to go see him, she’s in a completely different outfit than she was when she was getting ready in, not to mention, when she shows up to see Ben (who seemingly had just left his group date with the girls a little earlier), he’s in a different outfit than he was earlier. And it’s not like he was in his pajamas. Completely different dress shirt and jeans. Remember, the spoiler said Leah went and talked to Ben and got eliminated after he’d had his 2-on-1 date the next day. Nothing about what was shown last night made me think this talk with Leah happened after their group date. But whatever. It’s not all that big of deal, just wanted to point out the editing flaws I saw.

-Regardless of if this conversation happened the night of the group date or the night of his 2-on-1, it had the exact same result. Leah running to Ben to talk more sh** about Lauren B., and actually saying her name numerous times to his face so we know who she was talking about earlier, even though she told the girls she’d never use her time with Ben to talk about other girls. I mean, this actually came out of her mouth, “I don’t want to sit here and say bad things about Lauren…I’m not here to sabotage what you have with somebody…” yet that’s exactly what she did. Again, Leah does know she was being recorded, right? Or did she think this was the “Truman show” and was clueless as to what the hell was going on? Ben is on to her act. Ben: “Something doesn’t feel right…does it with you?” Leah: “Well, yeah.” Translation: There’s only one answer to give here, I gave it, even though I didn’t believe a word of it. And with that, Leah is sent packing. Yet the only person we see her saying goodbye to is Lauren H., even though she went back to her room, got to pack, carry her suitcase out of the room, and leave in a car. Something definitely choppy about the whole thing and I wouldn’t be surprised if it did really happen after his 2-on-1 date as I was told, but for whatever reason, they pretended it happened the night of the group date after they returned.

February 9, 2016 at 9:59 AM

What Caila said to Smilin Peter Brady is essentially “I’m not that into you. But I don’t want to miss out on anything good, so I’ll hang for now”.

2. iampunka

February 9, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Pretty easy to figure out who Ben was calling. Same people he called right before all the girls showed up in the first episode–his parents. Nothing more. Was just calling them to let them know what he was about to do, which was propose to one of the girls, and letting them know which one.

Not sure what Leah was doing last night throwing Lauren B under the bus like that. She came across looking super insecure and juvenile, and it came from nowhere, especially with the other girls loving her so much. Then lying about it, was just classic. She has growing up to do.

Olivia–poor poor Olivia. Her ending was classic and I loved every second. People can say she got a poor edit, but she said all those things about connection, and was generally just really weird throughout. And her Teen Mom comment was a disaster and mean. As Olivia was in TV and used to having her producer tell her everything to say, I’m sure she was super easy to manipulate by her Bach producer as a result. Trusted her way too much. So foolish.

Ben kept Cailla around for some action, nothing more. He knew he wasn;t going to pick her and preferred kissing her to the girls he sent home. Only reason she sticks around.

February 9, 2016 at 12:44 PM

So, obviously Lauren B is the golden child. But, let’s say for arguments sake that the mis-directions of the show are correct (isn’t that an oxymoron?). Smilin Pete doesn’t pick her. (I know, crazy). Who have you got left that he WOULD pick?

Becca – disinterested 2nd timer, possibly bi-curious, possibly playing for the other team.

Caila – Not that into him, but likes the gifts and prizes. Maybe she’ll write a blog or start a handbag line. Maybe she’ll be The Bachelorette AND write a blog and start a handbag line. OK, forget the writing part. That’s not happening. I’m not sure she can spell “blog”.

Teen Mom – Not saying that disrespectfully, I just forgot her name. I can comfortably say, and I know I’m really going out on a limb, but Smilin Pete isn’t looking for an instant family. I’m not sure he’s looking for more than three good sure-thing Fantasy Suite Slams to be honest with you.

JoJo- I guess you could go this direction, but I think S.P. is more into an all night Fantasy Suite roll with JoJo. Let’s put it this way: I don’t see them staying up all night discussing Nietzsche or reading Chaucer aloud to one another. Wham, bam, thanks Joanne!

So, I guess the show could play up the JoJo angle and see how many suckers they hook. It could work. It has before.

February 9, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Oh, I forgot Emily, the twin. No, I really didn’t forget her. Barbie Dolls who eat only kid’s junk food are rather off-putting. You’re 23 and you won’t eat any vegetables? What kind of parents do you have? Oh wait. We saw that, didn’t we. Emily honestly makes my skin crawl. And to think the idea of twins initially sounded so nice. Perception, meet reality. She’s literally ruined my whole twin fantasy for life.

5. thedoctor

February 9, 2016 at 3:43 PM

How about where Peter was telling Caila to “kiss it”
    Perhaps I am just bored with the whole Bachelor series, but pretty sleep inducing. It all seems so producer driven and just mean-spirited.

The whole Lean/LB just came out of the blue. Just not feeling this season, bring on BIP!!!

6. kimmyfromdablock

February 9, 2016 at 4:55 PM

Steve, you forgot to mention Olivia looking into the camera and stating…..”Come at me bro.”

That was so weird!!! I also do not believe for one minute that she is 23 years old. No way.

I would be super disappointed if Caila became Bachelorette. She reminds me of a 12-year old. No thank you.

7. justforfun

February 9, 2016 at 6:40 PM

The scene with Olivia standing alone on the beach crying was priceless! I laughed out loud! The scenes with the pigs & the women were also hilarious. The entire episode was entertaining for once. I still think Ben is boring, and the rest of the season will be a snooze fest now that all the crazy women are gone.

Lauren B seems like a nice, normal person, but I’m sure she knew that she had the man early on. Too bad JoJo can’t be the next bachelorette, Caila will be a complete bore to watch. She is very immature, and does not seem like she is ready to get married. Actually, most of these women are around 23 yrs. old, and that seems way too young to get married.

8. adrie

February 10, 2016 at 4:49 AM

Irrespective of Olivia’s edit she was CRAZY! I wanted more meltdown footage after she was left stranded in the storm but ah well. I didn’t see Leah’s meltdown and Lauren B attack coming at all, I found it surprising!

9. hurricaneemily

February 10, 2016 at 4:58 AM

Hey Steve.

Thanks for the recap. Hope the friday night lights thing comes to pass.

You can check out my recap here: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-6-recap/

February 10, 2016 at 6:59 AM

I wonder how the Olivia show….errrrr… The Bachelor…. will be without Olivia. Well, less annoying, for sure. I guess not much was going on if they had to make her the feature. So, where does that leave the show now? Hopefully since the herd has been thinned, it will be a little more interesting. I’m not holding my breath though.

I thought it was a pretty mean trick to have Leah trash talk Lauren B. I know that’s common. But this was so obviously producer driven. There’s no way that Leah comes up with that idea organically. She’s not bright enough and I don’t think she would have done something that mean without a nice push.

The Bachelorette: I agree that Caila is not looking good for the role. Pretty. Diverse. And that’s about it. Not much going on with her that’s interesting. I said the same thing about Smilin Pete, and he’s proved me right. He’s the ultimate pretty face with a big smile. At some point the “formula” for this show will backfire and they’ll start losing viewers. Sometimes there’s nothing worse for any organization than success. They start believing their own hype. That’s when things go south. I think it’s time to get ahead of the curve and mix it up. The show’s so popular that they might even be able to pull in a C level celebrity to spice things up (any suggestions?). If I was consulting for The show, I would advise them to make a bold move this next season & head off the tedium. Moving outside the former cast members and you have lots of possibilities. Lots of possibilities for diverse leads, as well. If they wait too long to mix it up, once the viewers leave, they won’t come back.

11. smurfette22

February 10, 2016 at 7:42 AM

Crazy amount of girls to go home in one episode. I can’t believe what Leah did to Lauren B. I’m curious to see what they say about it at WTA. Olivia is not very bright. “I like to talk smart things” WTF? She sounds like a female version of Ron Burgundy. I bet she has leather bound books.

I’m sorry, but I feel like the fact that Emily is still there is almost one big joke. She drives me nuts and needs to come up with a synonym for “disrespectful”.

Caila drives me nuts!!! She’s a little entitled at this point. Getting the first one-on-one and being the first girl to get a second one-on-one date. I’m glad they didn’t show much of her date. At this point I totally believe that email Steve got about the way she was acting at her auditions.

I feel like they pick people they can easily manipulate to be the leads. Enter Caila, who is clearly trying to stay on the show to be considered for the lead next season.

And I just like Jojo. It might have something to do with being family friends with Eva Longoria so it seems like she just wants to be on TV. Basically I only like Lauren B. She seems normal.

12. renelson23

February 10, 2016 at 10:34 AM

If they pick Caila to be the next Bachelorette then I will not watch. It will be another unwatchable season like it was with Kaitlyn and Andi. I could not bring myself to watch them…JMHO

13. kmannone723

February 11, 2016 at 7:51 AM

@renelson kinda agree with you on Caila or as I call her Britt 2.0 I’m still hoping for Jubilee or Becca as bachelorette myself. but then again I’ll still watch regardless but I’m hoping for a little less raunchy after Kaitlyn put sex waay out in the spotlight of the show it would be nice to give Becca a chance at the lead or even Jubilee because ages ago they had a military bachelor Andy Baldwin why not a diverse military bachelorette?

14. cjscjs711

February 11, 2016 at 10:19 AM

In addition to having a good-sized, ready-made social media following, I think the show will ALWAYS choose former participants for leads. They simply cannot have the lead fall apart or punk out during filming, nor neglect the script. The lead MUST ALSO string everyone along, be able to deceive multiple people into staying – or they have no continuing show. Further, from what all former leads have said, the part is grueling – emotionally and physically with oftentimes little sleep. Producers would no doubt feel very insecure about taking a chance on someone new, out of nowhere, as lead.

I’d personally love to see Jubilee as lead but I wonder whether emotionally she’s up to handling something like this, both during filming and the aftermath with both adulation and near-damnation from fans.

15. jettslave

February 12, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Hack editing? Seriously? They should get an award for their editing. They make drama where there isn’t any. They can make people seem evil or stupid. They can make it seem like something is about to happen & then something else completely different happens. What do you want them to do? Just show exactly what’s going to happen? That’s not how this works. This is a tv show, they edit, & they edit really good. Why don’t you just do your spoiling like you’re good at it & stop getting your feathers ruffled every time someone disagrees with you or questions your said outcome? If you read your comments, you’ll see others find it quite irritating too.