The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 6 Recap Incl Ratings Jump, & That Season Ending Promo

-For a 2-on-1 date, this was one of the quicker ones that we’ve ever seen. It all happened in the day time, and we never saw anything once Olivia was let go. Ben brings them to the beach in horrible weather, he speaks to each girl briefly, goes back, takes Olivia away again, then makes his decision and that’s it. Not nearly as dramatic as Kelsey and Ashley I. last year in the middle of nowhere. Again, even if you didn’t know the spoiler, you had to know Olivia was leaving on this date. I mean how many ITM’s did we get all day of her talking about how confident she was, how even though she and Emily are the same age she’d be her mother on this date, and how confident she was she’d marry Ben? Like 100 times? Not to mention you couple it with all of Emily’s ITM’s and voiceovers about how little confidence she had in staying. It was the perfect set up. So it was obvious it was coming and if you didn’t see that, after 31 seasons of this show, then you need to pay attention more. Just saying. As much as the spoilers help you, this show really gives away a lot of their own stuff in season.

-One other major example this episode was at the beginning of the episode when they were previewing what was upcoming, we saw Ben on that beach carrying the rose by himself. Well at no point when he had taken Olivia away to talk to her for a second time was he in a shot by himself holding that rose, so it was obviously after he’d let her go and was walking back to Emily. So even though they tried to tease you going in to commercial break with Ben taking the rose and asking Olivia to go for a walk, it was pretty clear what he was going to do. Again, especially with Emily heading into commercial break saying, “I can’t believe he’s gonna give Olivia the rose.” AND if you want to backtrack back to October, we had clear pictures of all the girls in Indiana (their next location), and Olivia wasn’t there. So yeah, this show can pull all the stunts they want while the show is airing, but months ago you knew what was happening just by following this site. So last night should’ve surprised none of you.

-What surprised me? How delusional Olivia is. Yes, we’ve seen it all season by some of the things she’s said to the camera 1-on-1 about being Mrs. Higgins, and the affirmation Ben gives her when he uses her leg as a push off, or squeezes her waist tighter, etc. So then on their time together when Ben pulls her away the first time, Olivia spills her guts, “People haven’t really tried to get to know me…more of an introvert…peace with who I am…very grounded…in tune with my body, strong, confident…come off as intimidating to others…the moment I met you, I knew it was right…I’m in love with you.” Of all the delusional things Olivia has said this season, and there have been many, that one took the cake. I’m sure she’s cringing at the thought that she said that to a guy who she’d NEVER HAD A 1-on-1 DATE WITH. That’s just crazy talk and goes to show how isolated and brainwashed these women can get on this show. That was the show speaking, not Olivia. Sure, she said it, but c’mon. She said it because felt she had to, not because that’s how she really feels. And if she says on the WTA that she really was in love with Ben, that’s her trying to save face. No, she wasn’t. I mean, she didn’t even say “I’m falling in love with you.” Nope. Went straight to the “I’m in love with you” which is so preposterous and the reason why I’ve made fun of this show for over ten years. So thank you Olivia for providing that fodder.

-On his talk with Emily, Ben’s time was much shorter. We maybe got a minute or two. And half of that was dealing with the wind blowing her hair over her face and Ben fixing it. Basically all Emily did was tell him how much she liked him, she wanted that day to be about them, and she wanted him to get to know her for who she is. Granted, we don’t know anything other than she seems to be attached to the hip of her sister who she calls every 17 seconds while she’s gone, but whatever. I don’t know what Ben took out of that conversation to pick her over Olivia, but I think it was just more about, “I need to get rid of Olivia, and might as well keep the girl who has the most beef with her in the house for TV purposes.” Considering Emily is gone next episode, I’m pretty certain that was thinking for that decision.

-So when he talks to Olivia for the second time with the rose in his hand, he tells her he appreciates that she spoke from her heart and that she told him what she was feeling, but he can’t reciprocate those feelings, soooooooo, no rose for her. Olivia is stunned obviously, but since we need a good dumping shot, they make Olivia stand on the beach by herself in horrible weather as the wind and rain whips through her, all while we get piped in sound of her crying. All very dramatic and what not, but was it necessary? Of course not. It was just the cherry on top of the sundae for producers on the deconstruction of Olivia Caridi’s soul this season. They went out of their way every episode to make sure they showed you how delusional, out of touch, and completely oblivious she was to her surroundings. She can them plenty of material and they ran with it. Olivia has basically been a ghost on social media since Jan. 26th. Hadn’t posted anything until last night when she tweeted this:

Its great that she finds a sense of humor in all this, but lets just hope she sticks by it. She obviously is furious with how she came across this season and yes, a part of you should feel at least a little bad for her, but if she jumps back into bed with these producers and does Paradise, all bets are off. Then she just ceases becoming a sympathetic figure and becomes a pathetic famewhore who is as big of a hypocrite as you’ll find. Time will tell.

February 9, 2016 at 9:59 AM

What Caila said to Smilin Peter Brady is essentially “I’m not that into you. But I don’t want to miss out on anything good, so I’ll hang for now”.

2. iampunka

February 9, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Pretty easy to figure out who Ben was calling. Same people he called right before all the girls showed up in the first episode–his parents. Nothing more. Was just calling them to let them know what he was about to do, which was propose to one of the girls, and letting them know which one.

Not sure what Leah was doing last night throwing Lauren B under the bus like that. She came across looking super insecure and juvenile, and it came from nowhere, especially with the other girls loving her so much. Then lying about it, was just classic. She has growing up to do.

Olivia–poor poor Olivia. Her ending was classic and I loved every second. People can say she got a poor edit, but she said all those things about connection, and was generally just really weird throughout. And her Teen Mom comment was a disaster and mean. As Olivia was in TV and used to having her producer tell her everything to say, I’m sure she was super easy to manipulate by her Bach producer as a result. Trusted her way too much. So foolish.

Ben kept Cailla around for some action, nothing more. He knew he wasn;t going to pick her and preferred kissing her to the girls he sent home. Only reason she sticks around.

February 9, 2016 at 12:44 PM

So, obviously Lauren B is the golden child. But, let’s say for arguments sake that the mis-directions of the show are correct (isn’t that an oxymoron?). Smilin Pete doesn’t pick her. (I know, crazy). Who have you got left that he WOULD pick?

Becca – disinterested 2nd timer, possibly bi-curious, possibly playing for the other team.

Caila – Not that into him, but likes the gifts and prizes. Maybe she’ll write a blog or start a handbag line. Maybe she’ll be The Bachelorette AND write a blog and start a handbag line. OK, forget the writing part. That’s not happening. I’m not sure she can spell “blog”.

Teen Mom – Not saying that disrespectfully, I just forgot her name. I can comfortably say, and I know I’m really going out on a limb, but Smilin Pete isn’t looking for an instant family. I’m not sure he’s looking for more than three good sure-thing Fantasy Suite Slams to be honest with you.

JoJo- I guess you could go this direction, but I think S.P. is more into an all night Fantasy Suite roll with JoJo. Let’s put it this way: I don’t see them staying up all night discussing Nietzsche or reading Chaucer aloud to one another. Wham, bam, thanks Joanne!

So, I guess the show could play up the JoJo angle and see how many suckers they hook. It could work. It has before.

February 9, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Oh, I forgot Emily, the twin. No, I really didn’t forget her. Barbie Dolls who eat only kid’s junk food are rather off-putting. You’re 23 and you won’t eat any vegetables? What kind of parents do you have? Oh wait. We saw that, didn’t we. Emily honestly makes my skin crawl. And to think the idea of twins initially sounded so nice. Perception, meet reality. She’s literally ruined my whole twin fantasy for life.

5. thedoctor

February 9, 2016 at 3:43 PM

How about where Peter was telling Caila to “kiss it”
    Perhaps I am just bored with the whole Bachelor series, but pretty sleep inducing. It all seems so producer driven and just mean-spirited.

The whole Lean/LB just came out of the blue. Just not feeling this season, bring on BIP!!!

6. kimmyfromdablock

February 9, 2016 at 4:55 PM

Steve, you forgot to mention Olivia looking into the camera and stating…..”Come at me bro.”

That was so weird!!! I also do not believe for one minute that she is 23 years old. No way.

I would be super disappointed if Caila became Bachelorette. She reminds me of a 12-year old. No thank you.

7. justforfun

February 9, 2016 at 6:40 PM

The scene with Olivia standing alone on the beach crying was priceless! I laughed out loud! The scenes with the pigs & the women were also hilarious. The entire episode was entertaining for once. I still think Ben is boring, and the rest of the season will be a snooze fest now that all the crazy women are gone.

Lauren B seems like a nice, normal person, but I’m sure she knew that she had the man early on. Too bad JoJo can’t be the next bachelorette, Caila will be a complete bore to watch. She is very immature, and does not seem like she is ready to get married. Actually, most of these women are around 23 yrs. old, and that seems way too young to get married.

8. adrie

February 10, 2016 at 4:49 AM

Irrespective of Olivia’s edit she was CRAZY! I wanted more meltdown footage after she was left stranded in the storm but ah well. I didn’t see Leah’s meltdown and Lauren B attack coming at all, I found it surprising!

9. hurricaneemily

February 10, 2016 at 4:58 AM

Hey Steve.

Thanks for the recap. Hope the friday night lights thing comes to pass.

You can check out my recap here: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-6-recap/

February 10, 2016 at 6:59 AM

I wonder how the Olivia show….errrrr… The Bachelor…. will be without Olivia. Well, less annoying, for sure. I guess not much was going on if they had to make her the feature. So, where does that leave the show now? Hopefully since the herd has been thinned, it will be a little more interesting. I’m not holding my breath though.

I thought it was a pretty mean trick to have Leah trash talk Lauren B. I know that’s common. But this was so obviously producer driven. There’s no way that Leah comes up with that idea organically. She’s not bright enough and I don’t think she would have done something that mean without a nice push.

The Bachelorette: I agree that Caila is not looking good for the role. Pretty. Diverse. And that’s about it. Not much going on with her that’s interesting. I said the same thing about Smilin Pete, and he’s proved me right. He’s the ultimate pretty face with a big smile. At some point the “formula” for this show will backfire and they’ll start losing viewers. Sometimes there’s nothing worse for any organization than success. They start believing their own hype. That’s when things go south. I think it’s time to get ahead of the curve and mix it up. The show’s so popular that they might even be able to pull in a C level celebrity to spice things up (any suggestions?). If I was consulting for The show, I would advise them to make a bold move this next season & head off the tedium. Moving outside the former cast members and you have lots of possibilities. Lots of possibilities for diverse leads, as well. If they wait too long to mix it up, once the viewers leave, they won’t come back.

11. smurfette22

February 10, 2016 at 7:42 AM

Crazy amount of girls to go home in one episode. I can’t believe what Leah did to Lauren B. I’m curious to see what they say about it at WTA. Olivia is not very bright. “I like to talk smart things” WTF? She sounds like a female version of Ron Burgundy. I bet she has leather bound books.

I’m sorry, but I feel like the fact that Emily is still there is almost one big joke. She drives me nuts and needs to come up with a synonym for “disrespectful”.

Caila drives me nuts!!! She’s a little entitled at this point. Getting the first one-on-one and being the first girl to get a second one-on-one date. I’m glad they didn’t show much of her date. At this point I totally believe that email Steve got about the way she was acting at her auditions.

I feel like they pick people they can easily manipulate to be the leads. Enter Caila, who is clearly trying to stay on the show to be considered for the lead next season.

And I just like Jojo. It might have something to do with being family friends with Eva Longoria so it seems like she just wants to be on TV. Basically I only like Lauren B. She seems normal.

12. renelson23

February 10, 2016 at 10:34 AM

If they pick Caila to be the next Bachelorette then I will not watch. It will be another unwatchable season like it was with Kaitlyn and Andi. I could not bring myself to watch them…JMHO

13. kmannone723

February 11, 2016 at 7:51 AM

@renelson kinda agree with you on Caila or as I call her Britt 2.0 I’m still hoping for Jubilee or Becca as bachelorette myself. but then again I’ll still watch regardless but I’m hoping for a little less raunchy after Kaitlyn put sex waay out in the spotlight of the show it would be nice to give Becca a chance at the lead or even Jubilee because ages ago they had a military bachelor Andy Baldwin why not a diverse military bachelorette?

14. cjscjs711

February 11, 2016 at 10:19 AM

In addition to having a good-sized, ready-made social media following, I think the show will ALWAYS choose former participants for leads. They simply cannot have the lead fall apart or punk out during filming, nor neglect the script. The lead MUST ALSO string everyone along, be able to deceive multiple people into staying – or they have no continuing show. Further, from what all former leads have said, the part is grueling – emotionally and physically with oftentimes little sleep. Producers would no doubt feel very insecure about taking a chance on someone new, out of nowhere, as lead.

I’d personally love to see Jubilee as lead but I wonder whether emotionally she’s up to handling something like this, both during filming and the aftermath with both adulation and near-damnation from fans.

15. jettslave

February 12, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Hack editing? Seriously? They should get an award for their editing. They make drama where there isn’t any. They can make people seem evil or stupid. They can make it seem like something is about to happen & then something else completely different happens. What do you want them to do? Just show exactly what’s going to happen? That’s not how this works. This is a tv show, they edit, & they edit really good. Why don’t you just do your spoiling like you’re good at it & stop getting your feathers ruffled every time someone disagrees with you or questions your said outcome? If you read your comments, you’ll see others find it quite irritating too.