The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 6 Recap Incl Ratings Jump, & That Season Ending Promo

-A lot of shots this week of contestant braving the elements in the Bahamas just to give producers a good visual. First we had Olivia after getting dumped, then the day of the rose ceremony, they put Ben out on a little cliff overlooking the ocean as what seemed like a monsoon was hitting. Reminded me of the scene in “Superman 2” where everyone in the street was getting blown away by the three villains, minus the rain. Does Ben at least get compensated for agreeing to do a shot like that? If not, he should’ve. And of course, after a rough week of dates, while the wind is howling and Ben is about to get blown over into the ocean, we get voiceovers of him saying that “Maybe I won’t fall in love.” Lets always keep in mind something I say 1,000 times a season: this is a television show. They HAVE to show conflict. There’s never been any season if the history of this show, where at some point during the season, the lead didn’t say something to the effect of “Maybe I won’t find love,” “this is too hard,” “I don’t know if this is going to work,” etc. That’s all this is at this point. We’re ramping up towards the end of the season and they want to throw doubt into the viewers minds. Nothing more, nothing less. And judging by the amount of tweets, emails, and texts I got last night about it, they succeeded. Again.

-Ben decides to cancel the cocktail party since he already knows who’s getting the boot. Sure, there were a few girls that were scared they didn’t get to talk to him, mainly Lauren B. She was convinced she was going home, which was basically her just fishing for compliments. Yes, I know their conversation didn’t go great on the group date and she hadn’t talked to him since that we saw, but please. Like she ever thought she was going home. Really? He’s gonna keep Lauren H. over you? I’m not sure what Lauren B. was smoking that night, but hey, they’re in the Bahamas so it must’ve been some good sh**. I mean, even if Lauren was worried, we know what she was worried about. What Leah told Ben about her. Fine. Definitely you’d be bothered by what Leah said. But guess what? He sent Leah home! Isn’t that the validation you’re looking for that he’s into you? If not, it should be.

-Rose ceremony time. Caila, Amanda, and Emily all safe with roses. Ben: “Sorry about tonight…long week…didn’t feel like it was appropriate…here to find love and find the woman for me…no question this will be the hardest rose ceremony…until the next one. Then the one after that. Then the one after that. Then the one after that at the end where I tell two women I love them, let one go, then within hours am proposing to someone else.”

Becca: I wonder if she’ll throw Ben into the pig category after this?
JoJo: I had a dream about JoJo last night. Just sayin’.

“Ladies, Ben. This is the final rose tonight. When you’re ready. The fact you had to hear me do this twice in one episode is ridiculous. What’s even more ridiculous is Ben is giving out three roses to four women tonight, and I stepped in after he gave out the first two to let everyone know there was only one left. I really do have the greatest job in America. First grade math teachers around the world are teaching 3 – 2 = 1 right now getting paid barely enough to get by. Essentially, my job on this show is a glorified math teacher, and I’m making millions a year. Suck it, teachers!”

Lauren B.: Man, was on the edge of my seat for that one. Which Lauren was he gonna choose?

Next week after traveling to exotic locales like Las Vegas, Mexico City, and the Bahamas, we head to the thriving metropolis of Warsaw, Indiana. Back in October when this was happening, this was obviously the most spoiled episode on social media of the whole season. You can check the episode-by-episode spoilers to see what was being released at the time. But Lauren, JoJo, and Emily get 1-on-1’s, with Caila, Amanda, and Becca getting the group date. Emily’s 1-on-1 happens on the day of the rose ceremony and he sends her home before it starts. That’s why we saw in the preview last night her saying “I just met Ben’s family.” Of course they want the unspoiled to think that she made it to the finals, but no, that’s next week. Just like after he met her mother he dumped Haley, after she meets his parents, he dumps her. Nice.

February 9, 2016 at 9:59 AM

What Caila said to Smilin Peter Brady is essentially “I’m not that into you. But I don’t want to miss out on anything good, so I’ll hang for now”.

2. iampunka

February 9, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Pretty easy to figure out who Ben was calling. Same people he called right before all the girls showed up in the first episode–his parents. Nothing more. Was just calling them to let them know what he was about to do, which was propose to one of the girls, and letting them know which one.

Not sure what Leah was doing last night throwing Lauren B under the bus like that. She came across looking super insecure and juvenile, and it came from nowhere, especially with the other girls loving her so much. Then lying about it, was just classic. She has growing up to do.

Olivia–poor poor Olivia. Her ending was classic and I loved every second. People can say she got a poor edit, but she said all those things about connection, and was generally just really weird throughout. And her Teen Mom comment was a disaster and mean. As Olivia was in TV and used to having her producer tell her everything to say, I’m sure she was super easy to manipulate by her Bach producer as a result. Trusted her way too much. So foolish.

Ben kept Cailla around for some action, nothing more. He knew he wasn;t going to pick her and preferred kissing her to the girls he sent home. Only reason she sticks around.

February 9, 2016 at 12:44 PM

So, obviously Lauren B is the golden child. But, let’s say for arguments sake that the mis-directions of the show are correct (isn’t that an oxymoron?). Smilin Pete doesn’t pick her. (I know, crazy). Who have you got left that he WOULD pick?

Becca – disinterested 2nd timer, possibly bi-curious, possibly playing for the other team.

Caila – Not that into him, but likes the gifts and prizes. Maybe she’ll write a blog or start a handbag line. Maybe she’ll be The Bachelorette AND write a blog and start a handbag line. OK, forget the writing part. That’s not happening. I’m not sure she can spell “blog”.

Teen Mom – Not saying that disrespectfully, I just forgot her name. I can comfortably say, and I know I’m really going out on a limb, but Smilin Pete isn’t looking for an instant family. I’m not sure he’s looking for more than three good sure-thing Fantasy Suite Slams to be honest with you.

JoJo- I guess you could go this direction, but I think S.P. is more into an all night Fantasy Suite roll with JoJo. Let’s put it this way: I don’t see them staying up all night discussing Nietzsche or reading Chaucer aloud to one another. Wham, bam, thanks Joanne!

So, I guess the show could play up the JoJo angle and see how many suckers they hook. It could work. It has before.

February 9, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Oh, I forgot Emily, the twin. No, I really didn’t forget her. Barbie Dolls who eat only kid’s junk food are rather off-putting. You’re 23 and you won’t eat any vegetables? What kind of parents do you have? Oh wait. We saw that, didn’t we. Emily honestly makes my skin crawl. And to think the idea of twins initially sounded so nice. Perception, meet reality. She’s literally ruined my whole twin fantasy for life.

5. thedoctor

February 9, 2016 at 3:43 PM

How about where Peter was telling Caila to “kiss it”
    Perhaps I am just bored with the whole Bachelor series, but pretty sleep inducing. It all seems so producer driven and just mean-spirited.

The whole Lean/LB just came out of the blue. Just not feeling this season, bring on BIP!!!

6. kimmyfromdablock

February 9, 2016 at 4:55 PM

Steve, you forgot to mention Olivia looking into the camera and stating…..”Come at me bro.”

That was so weird!!! I also do not believe for one minute that she is 23 years old. No way.

I would be super disappointed if Caila became Bachelorette. She reminds me of a 12-year old. No thank you.

7. justforfun

February 9, 2016 at 6:40 PM

The scene with Olivia standing alone on the beach crying was priceless! I laughed out loud! The scenes with the pigs & the women were also hilarious. The entire episode was entertaining for once. I still think Ben is boring, and the rest of the season will be a snooze fest now that all the crazy women are gone.

Lauren B seems like a nice, normal person, but I’m sure she knew that she had the man early on. Too bad JoJo can’t be the next bachelorette, Caila will be a complete bore to watch. She is very immature, and does not seem like she is ready to get married. Actually, most of these women are around 23 yrs. old, and that seems way too young to get married.

8. adrie

February 10, 2016 at 4:49 AM

Irrespective of Olivia’s edit she was CRAZY! I wanted more meltdown footage after she was left stranded in the storm but ah well. I didn’t see Leah’s meltdown and Lauren B attack coming at all, I found it surprising!

9. hurricaneemily

February 10, 2016 at 4:58 AM

Hey Steve.

Thanks for the recap. Hope the friday night lights thing comes to pass.

You can check out my recap here: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-6-recap/

February 10, 2016 at 6:59 AM

I wonder how the Olivia show….errrrr… The Bachelor…. will be without Olivia. Well, less annoying, for sure. I guess not much was going on if they had to make her the feature. So, where does that leave the show now? Hopefully since the herd has been thinned, it will be a little more interesting. I’m not holding my breath though.

I thought it was a pretty mean trick to have Leah trash talk Lauren B. I know that’s common. But this was so obviously producer driven. There’s no way that Leah comes up with that idea organically. She’s not bright enough and I don’t think she would have done something that mean without a nice push.

The Bachelorette: I agree that Caila is not looking good for the role. Pretty. Diverse. And that’s about it. Not much going on with her that’s interesting. I said the same thing about Smilin Pete, and he’s proved me right. He’s the ultimate pretty face with a big smile. At some point the “formula” for this show will backfire and they’ll start losing viewers. Sometimes there’s nothing worse for any organization than success. They start believing their own hype. That’s when things go south. I think it’s time to get ahead of the curve and mix it up. The show’s so popular that they might even be able to pull in a C level celebrity to spice things up (any suggestions?). If I was consulting for The show, I would advise them to make a bold move this next season & head off the tedium. Moving outside the former cast members and you have lots of possibilities. Lots of possibilities for diverse leads, as well. If they wait too long to mix it up, once the viewers leave, they won’t come back.

11. smurfette22

February 10, 2016 at 7:42 AM

Crazy amount of girls to go home in one episode. I can’t believe what Leah did to Lauren B. I’m curious to see what they say about it at WTA. Olivia is not very bright. “I like to talk smart things” WTF? She sounds like a female version of Ron Burgundy. I bet she has leather bound books.

I’m sorry, but I feel like the fact that Emily is still there is almost one big joke. She drives me nuts and needs to come up with a synonym for “disrespectful”.

Caila drives me nuts!!! She’s a little entitled at this point. Getting the first one-on-one and being the first girl to get a second one-on-one date. I’m glad they didn’t show much of her date. At this point I totally believe that email Steve got about the way she was acting at her auditions.

I feel like they pick people they can easily manipulate to be the leads. Enter Caila, who is clearly trying to stay on the show to be considered for the lead next season.

And I just like Jojo. It might have something to do with being family friends with Eva Longoria so it seems like she just wants to be on TV. Basically I only like Lauren B. She seems normal.

12. renelson23

February 10, 2016 at 10:34 AM

If they pick Caila to be the next Bachelorette then I will not watch. It will be another unwatchable season like it was with Kaitlyn and Andi. I could not bring myself to watch them…JMHO

13. kmannone723

February 11, 2016 at 7:51 AM

@renelson kinda agree with you on Caila or as I call her Britt 2.0 I’m still hoping for Jubilee or Becca as bachelorette myself. but then again I’ll still watch regardless but I’m hoping for a little less raunchy after Kaitlyn put sex waay out in the spotlight of the show it would be nice to give Becca a chance at the lead or even Jubilee because ages ago they had a military bachelor Andy Baldwin why not a diverse military bachelorette?

14. cjscjs711

February 11, 2016 at 10:19 AM

In addition to having a good-sized, ready-made social media following, I think the show will ALWAYS choose former participants for leads. They simply cannot have the lead fall apart or punk out during filming, nor neglect the script. The lead MUST ALSO string everyone along, be able to deceive multiple people into staying – or they have no continuing show. Further, from what all former leads have said, the part is grueling – emotionally and physically with oftentimes little sleep. Producers would no doubt feel very insecure about taking a chance on someone new, out of nowhere, as lead.

I’d personally love to see Jubilee as lead but I wonder whether emotionally she’s up to handling something like this, both during filming and the aftermath with both adulation and near-damnation from fans.

15. jettslave

February 12, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Hack editing? Seriously? They should get an award for their editing. They make drama where there isn’t any. They can make people seem evil or stupid. They can make it seem like something is about to happen & then something else completely different happens. What do you want them to do? Just show exactly what’s going to happen? That’s not how this works. This is a tv show, they edit, & they edit really good. Why don’t you just do your spoiling like you’re good at it & stop getting your feathers ruffled every time someone disagrees with you or questions your said outcome? If you read your comments, you’ll see others find it quite irritating too.